Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,436 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In some instances, to call upon the police you needed to use a special phone booth - which was locked, with keys being provided exclusively to wealthy and connected people.

FYI for the thread

https://www.vox.com/videos/2017/8/24/16125850/dc-fire-police-call-boxes-emergency-services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Overheal wrote: »
    I already told you in the post you were quoting. You’ve surely seen evidence of BLM protesters condemning and intervening in rioting and protesting, as there have been examples of it pretty much from the start of the george Floyd protests, like this:

https://www.kxly.com/video-shows-blm-protesters-blocking-looters/

The Chicago Black Lives Matter organizer who justified looting as “reparation” has doubled down — insisting this week that even calling someone a criminal is “based on racism.”

Ariel Atkins told WBEZ that her group “100 percent” supports the violent looters who trashed chunks of the Windy City on Monday, again repeating her claim that it is “reparations.”

“The whole idea of criminality is based on racism anyway,” she told the NPR station.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

similar to the Blacks and Tans being replaced by An Garda Siochana a century ago

what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Foxtrol wrote: »
    'But look', many here have been cheering white people dressed the same way and open carrying the same types of weapons and you're now hiding under the bed because black people are doing it. :rolleyes:

Like with with guns, the best way for there to be a tightening on the activities of 'militias' is for black people to use their same rights.

https://twitter.com/KanielaIng/status/1299108668139425792?s=20

https://twitter.com/GirlsDwt/status/1300062192704913409?s=20

How many businesses were looted, burned out, destroyed by those guys in Michigan??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

How do you surmise anyone in the photo is armed? How do you rule out the uncertainty that he could have left his weapon in his car or at work etc and is not actually armed inside this establishment?

Do you think it is a sign of racism?

Carrying a gun on his right hip, I have 30 years experience seeing that.

In my view it is probably a sensible choice by the owner of the business to have a armed guard there, in a 'black' neighborhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Carrying a gun on his right hip, I have 30 years experience seeing that.

In my view it is probably a sensible choice by the owner of the business to have a armed guard there, in a 'black' neighborhood.

There's also armed off duty police officers doing security in large food stores in white neighbourhoods.

What does your 30 year experience say about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

How many businesses were looted, burned out, destroyed by those guys in Michigan??

The exact same amount that were looted, burned out, destroyed by the black militia in the photo from the previous poster.

The Michigan guys did lynch an effigy of the governor though which I expect you'll ignore.

The black militia exercising their rights tends to scare certain people a lot more though.

That people can just be so willfully ignorant and so shamelessly divisively sectarian is just sad really..

That people can just be so willfully ignorant and so shamelessly divisively sectarian is just sad really..

Absolutely, and that they can become President just beggars belief.

Hopefully will only be a single term though. Fingers crossed for November.

Absolutely, and that they can become President just beggars belief.

Hopefully will only be a single term though. Fingers crossed for November.

It actually wasn't yer man I was referring to, but shur I should have foreseen your reaction..
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Actually, they are somewhat correct - while there were police-like forces, it wasn't until the 1800s and in many places, after the Civil War that outright police departments became more commonplace (the first full time, publically funded department was Boston in 1838). Police forces from the south came almost entirely directly from the forces that used to exist to hunt down escaped slaves and return them to their owners, while in the Union states they came from forces that typically were used to bear and murder workers trying to unionize back into line (e.g. the poor) - this is actually where the Pinkertons apparently made the bulk of their money, not hunting down Arthur Morgan and Co.

Those from the north kind of amalgamated a bunch of different forces designed to keep the poor in line together to become police departments but are ultimately borne of being anti union and pro wealth. If you're ever in a formerly Confederate city that existed prior to Emancipation, their police force likely directly descended from the agencies hired to catch escaped slaves and violently squash any uprisings. Ironically, after slavery the treatment of black people by these forces often got worse - because they didn't have to answer to a slave owner as to why their 'livestock' died in their custody.

Even when you move forward a few decades, the police almost exclusively existed to protect the interests of the rich, with the US having crazy laws about 'loitering' which essentially said to be outdoors you had to be in work, on the way to/from work, or on the way directly to/from something like the market, train station, etc. In some instances, to call upon the police you needed to use a special phone booth - which was locked, with keys being provided exclusively to wealthy and connected people. Their job very often was to just ensure the poor didn't even come within a peripheral distance of where rich people lived or congregated, unless of course that was the factories and such that they owned.

A lot of this ties into why American policing is long, long overdue a reset of sorts, similar to the Blacks and Tans being replaced by An Garda Siochana a century ago, or even less than two decades back, the RUC becoming the PSNI. The rot isn't something that's been building, so much as it's something that's been baked in from the beginning.

John Oliver explains it well.

https://youtu.be/Wf4cea5oObY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

dog_pig wrote: »
    what

Apologies, had that as RIC/Blacks and tans initially but wound up editing the post a few times as I was going and must've deleted that since I moved where RUC/PSNI were listed (doing long posts on the phone is a recipe for disaster!). As bad as the RIC were, I included the blacks and tans because what they got up to made the initial emphasis of AGS absolutely necessary for public trust.

It actually wasn't yer man I was referring to, but shur I should have foreseen your reaction..
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you..

I know, ye don't want to acknowledge his ineptitude do ye.

As I said, fingers crossed.

I know, ye don't want to acknowledge his ineptitude do ye.

As I said, fingers crossed.

Maybe cross your toes too..

There's also armed off duty police officers doing security in large food stores in white neighbourhoods.

What does your 30 year experience say about that?

Never seen that in in the white suburbs of Boston.
    could you show me were you have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Because that’s whom he’s referring to. Trump doesn’t really have much distinction between a protester a rioter or a looter...

Perhaps not that surprising considering many of the 'rioters' and 'protestors' seem to be one and the same from their own videos and reports on social media.

The Chicago Black Lives Matter organizer who justified looting as “reparation” has doubled down — insisting this week that even calling someone a criminal is “based on racism.”

Ariel Atkins told WBEZ that her group “100 percent” supports the violent looters who trashed chunks of the Windy City on Monday, again repeating her claim that it is “reparations.”

“The whole idea of criminality is based on racism anyway,” she told the NPR station.

I'm skeptical of all the 'cherrypicked' quotes in this alleged report. However, if that is accurate, that sounds like terrorism, which would put this organizer and his associates on watch. That being the case, if we can determine that, the FBI certainly already has.

[QUOTE=. People would still be basing validity of opinions on somebody's skin colour.[/QUOTE]

RTE does it every time when they interview Skintellectual Dr. Ebun Joseph

gozunda wrote: »
    Perhaps not that surprising considering many of the 'rioters' and 'protestors' seem to be one and the same from their own videos and reports on social media.

Only if one utilizes a one-sided viewing lens:

It actually makes me sad that in a country like Ireland after all the progress we have made. People would still be basing validity of opinions on somebody's skin colour.

RTE does it all the time when they interview Skintellectual Dr. Ebun Joseph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Are these the same moms that police also beat and gassed a few weeks ago, or different ones?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/from-the-administration-that-brought-you-kids-in-cages-its-tear-gassed-moms-1032760/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

How the fuk does a cherry picked video from a ' Daily Mail' article equate to the daily savagery being posted by protestors/ rioters on social media?

Or are you just using that 'one-sided viewing lens' again?

But as you brought this particular group up - lets look at both 'sides' of that group ...

Heres the same controversial" group of moms" helping to break into a court house building

"Portland Mom Group helping Rioters Break down Barrier to Federal Courthouse"

(Carfacemandog - please take note before posting pro protestors / rioter opinion pieces)

Tbh you're now just embarrassing yourself Overheal

So you post a video, showing people repeating the lie "hands up, don't shoot" which came from Ferguson,Missouri were a officer shot a Thug in self defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brentanrodgers

So you post a video, showing people repeating the lie "hands up, don't shoot" which came from Ferguson,Missouri were a officer shot a Thug in self defense.

Exactly, that hands up don't shoot lie created major controversy. Ignoring the facts and continuing to perpetuate a lie for political reasons is cult like.

From Wikipedia :

The slogan was adopted at protests against police brutality in the U.S. A United States Department of Justice investigation, under the leadership of African-American U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, found the 'hands up' claim was a lie and inconsistent with the physical and forensic evidence, and the witness testimony surrounding the Brown shooting.

Didn't stop the media hacks though - This segment from CNN caused riots across America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

These people are insane...

Too many people have succumbed to hysteria!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Don’t those people have to get up for work in the morning? How do they protest all night and then get up early for work each morning?
    Amazing really. I hope my kids have a work ethic like that. What’s all this “black lives matter” they keep shouting out? Is that the new version of Marco Polo but for the streets?

John Oliver telling it like it is

https://youtu.be/rBu0BRTx2x8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

John Oliver was called out on his lies in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

John Oliver is the Piers Morgan of liberal America :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Now that is a bunch of unhinged people. Serious intimidation going on there but I'm left with the feeling that these protestors are on drugs or have serious mental health issues.

Advertisement