Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Why didn't the "White's Plan" work on the Asian and Indian communities ??

Because they were treated completely differently :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Comedians/Entertainers won't work. The guys were ex-pros, some highly decorated. They knew football inside out. They were able to give insight into how the dressing room worked, how different issues would be resolved/change the dynamic of the team. Some clown trying to boost his media career isn't gonna be able to do that. If Stelling goes as well they may as well just pull the plug.

I'm not suggesting it should be comedians/entertainers, but, if the whole premise of the show is apparently just banter, then why shouldn't it be?

Soccer Saturday isn't about analysis, it's about banter.

They already shoved in Glen Johnson...the man speaks like he's on death row and talks to the floor.

Might want to talk to Weldoninhio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm not suggesting it should be comedians/entertainers, but, if the whole premise of the show is apparently just banter, then why shouldn't it be?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Like white people are overwhelming killed by other white people.

Doesn't stop Trump and right wing media having naive white folk hide under their beds from them

Well white people have been in power for nearly the entire history of the US, so made the laws and developed the society that puts them in this place. White people are directly at fault for the disparity in wealth between races and across the world those living in poverty are more likely to be involved in crime.

This sounds like something Hitler would have come out with regarding Jewish people.

• Advertisement

Harry lyme wrote: »
    It has no relevance in Ireland.

There is no police brutality in Ireland so what exactly is the point of taking a knee before an Irish football match. There is no context for taking the knee before an Ireland match and what is toxic is we are now being coerced into importing unnecessary American culture wars into Ireland.

What do you mean it has no relevance in Ireland?

Do you have any idea of the bond there is between Ireland and the US?
    Or that a nation who was oppressed at the hands of the British for centuries wouldn't have a bond with the plight of others?
    Or that the recent history of Catholics in Northern Ireland being prejudiced by those in authority just because of their religion doesn't resonate with what some communities in the US are dealing with>

If it has no relevance in Ireland, why are so many here talking about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Might want to talk to Weldoninhio.

Me and Simp know exactly what we are talking about. You’ve obviously no clue, but it hasn’t stopped you commenting.

Jesus wept.

He probably did, but you're entitled to post your opinion, so what can he do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Because they were treated completely differently :confused:

How so? Genuinely.

Many would have arrived over there with the additional hurdle of speaking a different language, little to no support and those of Asian background who went to America previously would have dealt with racism and even internment during WW2. They would still have had to contend with the same laws and societal system that put white people in this place of power over them, according to you.

Like clockwork

More like the penny dropping I think.

• Advertisement

Why didn't the "White's Plan" work on the Asian and Indian communities ??

Probably because they hadn't as a society been raised over centuries to see those communities as beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We are deluded if we think we have a special bond with the US. We barely even register with them. We tend to think we have a special place in the hearts of Americans. We don't.

There's no bond between us and the US. There may have been in the past due to the Irish vote but that's been so diluted, it's not worth a stocking of p1ss to any politician over there and the average Joe Soap couldn't pick Ireland out on a map for a tenner.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    We are deluded if we think we have a special bond with the US. We barely even register with them. We tend to think we have a special place in the hearts of Americans. We don't.

There's no bond between us and the US. There may have been in the past due to the Irish vote but that's been so diluted, it's not worth a stocking of p1ss to any politician over there and the average Joe Soap couldn't pick Ireland out on a map for a tenner.

From Google. This is just 3 years ago.
    10.1% of the total population — identified as being Irish in the 2017 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Speaking as someone living there, there are no shortage of people here who are interested in Ireland, and, who want to know what we think about them.

Speaking as someone living there, there are no shortage of people here who are interested in Ireland, and, who want to know what we think about them.

Yeah, many have heard of Ireland but it'd be stretching it to say we have a special place in their heart.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Yeah, many have heard of Ireland but it'd be stretching it to say we have a special place in their heart.

Sure look, I'll tell the next person who wants to talk to me about Ireland that they're not really interested in the place.

Sure look, I'll tell the next person who wants to talk to me about Ireland that they're not really interested in the place.

:D Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The MSM propaganda is insane.

nyt.jpg

It is isn't it.

Fox News gave the President a platform to spout conspiracy theories which if he tried to start a thread on here it would have been closed down due to being too unbelievable.

Even Laura Ingraham was frustrated with how off topic he was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brentanrodgers

What do you expect, the NYT's hasn't endorsed a Republican candidate since 1956. Neutral my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

What do you mean it has no relevance in Ireland?

Or that a nation who was oppressed at the hands of the British for centuries wouldn't have a bond with the plight of others?
    Or that the recent history of Catholics in Northern Ireland being prejudiced by those in authority just because of their religion doesn't resonate with what some communities in the US are dealing with>

If it has no relevance in Ireland, why are so many here talking about it?

Which has absolutely nothing to do with why this taking the knee is going to happen at the next Ireland match. Taking the knee was a gesture to protested against Police Brutality in USA, there is no police brutality in Ireland so it has no relevance here.

This is being done purely because it's the current trendy cause and people are going along for fear of being targeted for not going with the flow. Frankly a group of Irish footballers taking the knee before a match show what nonsense the whole gesture is and actually remove the effectiveness of making such a gesture, it's now become a completely meaningless gesture due to overuse and being applied where it isn't necessary.

• Advertisement

Which has absolutely nothing to do with why this taking the knee is going to happen at the next Ireland match. Taking the knee was a gesture to protested against Police Brutality in USA, there is no police brutality in Ireland so it has no relevance here.

This is being done purely because it's the current trendy cause and people are going along for fear of being targeted for not going with the flow. Frankly a group of Irish footballers taking the knee before a match show what nonsense the whole gesture is and actually remove the effectiveness of making such a gesture, it's now become a completely meaningless gesture due to overuse and being applied where it isn't necessary.

Do you think David McGoldrick would think that
    There have been messages of support for David McGoldrick from Sheffield United and the FAI, but renewed calls too for the big social media companies to do more to counter racism after the 32-year-old striker revealed on Instagram that he had been racially abused on the platform.

Do you think would think that

The taking the knee protest was started due to Police Brutality.

There is no Police Brutality in Ireland.

The taking the knee protest was started due to Police Brutality.

There is no Police Brutality in Ireland.

Police brutality evidently motivated by racist prejudices.

I mean, the movement picked a phrase which specifically highlights this....

Police brutality evidently motivated by racist prejudices.

I mean, the movement picked a phrase which specifically highlights this....

There is no Police Brutality in Ireland

It has no relevance as a cause over here.

There is no Police Brutality in Ireland

It has no relevance as a cause over here.

I've already pointed out to you why it has relevance in Ireland. Just repeating that you think it doesn't, does not change that fact.

The Dunnes workers shouldn't have gone on strike in the 80's so either given there wasn't apartheid in Ireland using your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brentanrodgers

I've already pointed out to you why it has relevance in Ireland. Just repeating that you think it doesn't, does not change that fact.

The Dunnes workers shouldn't have gone on strike in the 80's so either given there wasn't apartheid in Ireland using your logic.

Yes, because people going on strike for higher wages is the same as endorsing a political movement which encourages the looting of and destruction of businesses.

Logic, do you even?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

How so? Genuinely.

Many would have arrived over there with the additional hurdle of speaking a different language, little to no support and those of Asian background who went to America previously would have dealt with racism and even internment during WW2. They would still have had to contend with the same laws and societal system that put white people in this place of power over them, according to you.

Do I really have to spell it out for you? Aside from a rough period during WWII for Japanese community, those communities have had a pretty easy run compared to the black community.

What % of Asian and Indians are descendants of slaves? How many Asian or Indian people were lynched?

Asian and Indian people were not nearly as impacted by segregation or red lining.

As for your language point, do you think all African slaves jumped off the boat speaking perfect English? Even if they did, having an owner is a much larger impediment than learning a language.

Yes, because people going on strike for higher wages is the same as endorsing a political movement which encourages the looting of and destruction of businesses.

Logic, do you even?

For the love of God man, open a history book some time.
    This day 30 years ago the Dunnes Stores anti-apartheid strike began

The strike lasted almost three years and Nelson Mandela later told the small group of workers that their stand had helped him to keep going during his time in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

So with approx 4 million native Americans left in the US why do they not make up a larger % of the prison population?

If slavery is to blame for the high crime rate in the African American community surely the genocide and ethnic cleansing of native Americans would have similar consequences.

Genuine question.

• Advertisement

So with approx 4 million native Americans left in the US why do they not make up a larger % of the prison population?

If slavery is to blame for the high crime rate in the African American community surely the genocide and ethnic cleansing of native Americans would have similar consequences.

Genuine question.

It does
    • Native Americans are incarcerated at a rate 38% higher than the national average, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
    • Native American youths are 30% more likely than whites to be referred to juvenile court than have charges dropped, according to National Council on Crime and Delinquency.
    • Native Americans are more likely to be killed by police than any other racial group, according to the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice.
    • Native American men are incarcerated at four times the rate of white men; Native American women are incarcerated at six times the rate of white women, according to a report compiled by the Lakota People’s Law Project.
    • Native Americans fall victim to violent crime at more than double the rate of all other US citizens, according to BJS reports. Eighty-eight percent of violent crime committed against Native American women is carried out by non-Native perpetrators.

And your next question is probably why aren't there marches for them? Probably because they are a much smaller group in number and are not as widespread across the US as Black Americans are at this point.

It's another reason why the system needs reform and disenfranchised communities need support.

Advertisement