Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Do I really have to spell it out for you? Aside from a rough period during WWII for Japanese community, those communities have had a pretty easy run compared to the black community.

What % of Asian and Indians are descendants of slaves? How many Asian or Indian people were lynched?

Asian and Indian people were not nearly as impacted by segregation or red lining.

As for your language point, do you think all African slaves jumped off the boat speaking perfect English? Even if they did, having an owner is a much larger impediment than learning a language.

I'm sure the Chinese who came over and worked as virtual slaves building the railways would consider themselves to have had a pretty easy time. Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So with approx 4 million native Americans left in the US why do they not make up a larger % of the prison population?

If slavery is to blame for the high crime rate in the African American community surely the genocide and ethnic cleansing of native Americans would have similar consequences.

Genuine question.

Take a google of Indian reservations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brentanrodgers

open a history book some time.[/URL]

Even so if the strikes were for just a social cause - there is no correlation between that and a political movement like BLM which encourages violence, it's as simple as that. Imo it is a radical movement based on false pretenses - all official crime statistics that I can see point to this.

They use isolated incidents of police wrongdoing to achieve their aims even though there's no evidence to suggest that any of it is racially motivated, and ignore the fact that black on black crime is the overwhelming contributor to black homicides in America. Blacks are overwhelmingly over represented in crime statistics when it comes to violent incidents - the questions should be aimed at their communities and politicians who've failed them, not at the police.

Where does their funding go? I never read about any positive contributions BLM as an organisation are giving to black communities, all I see is violence and nonsense like this video below. If they went down a different path I would support them, but I'll never get behind any radical movement, left or right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

It does

And your next question is probably why aren't there marches for them? Probably because they are a much smaller group in number and are not as widespread across the US as Black Americans are at this point.

It's another reason why the system needs reform and disenfranchised communities need support.

No next question. Wow they are shocking stats.

I'm sure the Chinese who came over and worked as virtual slaves building the railways would consider themselves to have had a pretty easy time. Jesus wept

The only thing Jesus might be weeping about is the idiocy of people equating in any way a person choosing to come to American under tough conditions and literal slaves.

Chinese and Japanese governments regularly intervened when US government or individual states tried to impose on Asian communities the type of things they regularly did to black people. In most cases Asians were also accepted on the 'white' side of segregation.

• Advertisement

Even so if the strikes were for just a social cause - there is no correlation between that and a political movement like BLM which encourages violence, it's as simple as that. Imo it is a radical movement based on false pretenses - all official crime statistics that I can see point to this.

They use isolated incidents of police wrongdoing to achieve their aims even though there's no evidence to suggest that any of it is racially motivated, and ignore the fact that black on black crime is the overwhelming contributor to black homicides in America. Blacks are overwhelmingly over represented in crime statistics when it comes to violent incidents - the questions should be aimed at their communities and politicians who've failed them, not at the police.

Where does their funding go? I never read about any positive contributions BLM as an organisation are giving to black communities, all I see is violence and nonsense like this video below. If they went down a different path I would support them, but I'll never get behind any radical movement, left or right wing.

Just like MLK, more revisionist history.

Anti-apartheid groups in Africa literally ran a guerrilla war and went around setting off bombs.

I can't find any evidence of BLM leaders involved in 'encouraging' violence any more than Trump or Right Wing media have been with their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Harry lyme wrote: »
    There is no Police Brutality in Ireland

It has no relevance as a cause over here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=police+brutality+ireland&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The only thing Jesus might be weeping about is the idiocy of people equating in any way a person choosing to come to American under tough conditions and literal slaves.

Chinese and Japanese governments regularly intervened when US government or individual states tried to impose on Asian communities the type of things they regularly did to black people. In most cases Asians were also accepted on the 'white' side of segregation.

So suffering only matters if black people experience it? Good to know being worked to death is only relevant if your skin is a certain colour.

I can't find any evidence of BLM leaders involved in 'encouraging' violence any more than Trump or Right Wing media have been with their supporters.

OK, lets pretend condoning looting isn't advocacy for violence.

https://twitter.com/robbystarbuck/status/1295068038132387842

So suffering only matters if black people experience it? Good to know being worked to death is only relevant if your skin is a certain colour.

I have no idea how you got that from the post.

• Advertisement

OK, lets pretend condoning looting isn't advocacy for violence.

I know a black man shouting might be scary to you but how is that any worse than what Trump or Right Wing media have been saying? Trump yesterday called a rally of his supporters shooting bear mace and paint balls 'peaceful'?

I know a black man shouting might be scary to you but how is that any worse than what Trump or Right Wing media have been saying? Trump yesterday called a rally of his supporters shooting bear mace and paint balls 'peaceful'?

I'm not going to get into your whataboutery and false equivalences - this is a thread about BLM. Hitler killed millions of jews, does that mean it's acceptable for all future political movements to behave on the same level of extremity?

Real lazy "argument" mate.

You're obviously trying so hard to twist yourself in knots to take some sort of faux offense at this point. At this rate you'll have your own show on Fox News.

I never said they didn't suffer, I pointed out that someone making a choice to go to a country in tough conditions is in no way comparative to literal slaves, who after eventually getting their freedom faced numerous other additional impediments imposed on them (segregation, attacks, redlining etc etc).

I'm not going to get into your whataboutery and false equivalences - this is a thread about BLM. Hitler killed millions of jews, does that mean it's acceptable for all future political movements to behave on the same level of extremity?

Real lazy "argument" mate.

The thread is BLM or WLM, the speech of those supporting WLM or opposing BLM is extremely relevant in this thread (though a leader from 80ish years ago isn't).

It is in no way a lazy argument to point out the type of speech you're feigning outrage at is very common place among Trump and Right wing media, the exact groups that are also feigning the same kind of outrage at BLM supporters.

The thread is BLM or WLM, the speech of those supporting WLM or opposing BLM is extremely relevant in this thread (though a leader from 80ish years ago isn't).

It is in no way a lazy argument to point out the type of speech you're feigning outrage at is very common place among Trump and Right wing media, the exact groups that are also feigning the same kind of outrage at BLM supporters.

Can you show me an example of some prominent right wing Politician showing up at a public figures house with a mob and screaming obscenities like "blue lives ain't ****" while that persons children are present?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Overheal wrote: »

That link only shows how lacking police brutality is in Ireland.

If you knew the first thing about criminal justice in this country you would be aware that Ireland is one of the best places in the world to be a criminal. We have an incredibly cushy system that allows scumbags to constantly re offend to the point where seeing people with over 100 previous convictions is common place in Ireland. The Gardai are mostly unarmed and criminals act accordingly.

Book a ticket here some time and sit for a morning in district court and see the level of repeat offenders being let off with suspended sentences and a handful of community service hours for violent crimes and you'll have some sort of understanding of how things work over here.

This isn't America and the problems you have over there are not reflected in our system and for you to lazily post a Google search as evidence that it is highlights a lack of understanding and awareness on your part that is quite honestly mind boggling.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    If you knew the first thing about criminal justice in this country you would be aware that Ireland is one of the best places in the world to be a criminal. We have an incredibly cushy system that allows scumbags to constantly re offend to the point where seeing people with over 100 previous convictions is common place in Ireland. The Gardai are mostly unarmed and criminals act accordingly.

Larry Murphy served less than 10 years for repeatably raping a Woman then bringing her up the Wicklow mountains in the boot of his car to rape her again. He got caught in the middle of killing her by two hunters after he put a plastic bag over his head. It's joke in this country and that case always comes to mind. 10 fúckin years..

°°°°°

Larry Murphy served less than 10 years for repeatably raping a Woman then bringing up the Wicklow mountains in the boot of his car to rape her again. He got caught in the middle of killing her by two hunters after he put a plastic bag over his head. It's joke in this country and that case always comes to mind. 10 fúckin years..

We're too concerned with the rights of criminals. Graham Dwyer even having his appeal entertained displays how bizarre our system is. He would be awaiting a lethal injection in a fair few US states.

Glazers Out!

That link only shows how lacking police brutality is in Ireland.

Book a ticket here some time and sit for a morning in district court and see the level of repeat offenders being let off with suspended sentences and a handful of community service hours for violent crimes and you'll have some sort of understanding of how things work over here.

This isn't America and the problems you have over there are not reflected in our system and for you to lazily post a Google search as evidence that it is highlights a lack of understanding and awareness on your part that is quite honestly mind boggling.

The user said 'it doesn't exist.' I linked to evidence it does. You've shifted the goalposts away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We're too concerned with the rights of criminals. Graham Dwyer even having his appeal entertained displays how bizarre our system is. He would be awaiting a lethal injection in a fair few US states.

I'm actually surprised he was convicted. I think he did it by the way, but still surprised he was convicted based on the evidence. Anyway, sorry for diverting.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

The user said 'it doesn't exist.' I linked to evidence it does. You've shifted the goalposts away from that.

Your link didn't show one credible source of evidence supporting the idea that police brutality even exists in Ireland.

I tell you what, show me one example of a credible source displaying just one case of police brutality in Ireland.

I didn't shift the goalposts at all, I merely gave you some context of what the criminal justice system in this country is like. If you don't like me giving you this information that's too bad.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Only if one utilizes a one-sided viewing lens:

Forgot to mention, Portland Wall of Moms, had a problem with “anti-Blackness”

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/07/portlands-wall-of-moms-crumbles-amid-online-allegations-by-former-partner-dont-shoot-pdx.html

Your link didn't show one credible source of evidence supporting the idea that police brutality even exists in Ireland.

I tell you what, show me one example of a credible source displaying just one case of police brutality in Ireland.

I didn't shift the goalposts at all, I merely gave you some context of what the criminal justice system in this country is like. If you don't like me giving you this information that's too bad.

In turn if you don't like me linking to search engine results demonstrating examples of police brutality in Ireland, that is too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Garda
    The decision came after Sgt McEnery was given a four-month suspended sentence in 2011, following a conviction of assault during the arrest of Anthony Holness in Waterford in January 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lying liberals are slowly losing their grip of Black Americans as they are waking up to how the media has manipulated them to see Trump as someone who is causing division when the truth is that it is the left that has being doing that, for political gain.

https://twitter.com/kyleolson4/status/1300616743350685701

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

An assault during an arrest 10 years ago is the only thing you could find, which proves that Police Brutality is essentially non existent in Ireland.

You are going to find examples of malpractice in ANY profession, it's a completely disingenuous argument.

It's like saying that if there was a nurse who killed or mistreated old patients purposely - that it's indicative of the healthcare system as a whole. There isn't a single widespread profession in the world where you you'll find perfection across the board, what you're looking for doesn't exist , even more so in a profession such as the Police force because they are dealing with hardened criminals.

Anyway - here's one such incident that came to light recently on a night out in Temple Bar.

°°°°°

These former Gardai were dealt with appropriately, do you suggest there is an endemic issue with police brutality in this country?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

In turn if you don't like me linking to search engine results demonstrating examples of police brutality in Ireland, that is too bad.

I don't like it because not one link on the first page even references one single case to back up your claim.

It's lazy argument, you obviously didn't even read the content of what you posted.

I see you are a moderator in the conspiracy theories forum, you posted in the forum rules that users should adhere to Graham's hierarchy of disagreement and here you are posting an absolute garbage link without any citations from yourself to prove your point, falling way below the standard of argument you tell others to adhere to.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I see you are a moderator in the conspiracy theories forum, you posted in the forum rules that users should adhere to Graham's hierarchy of disagreement and here you are posting an absolute garbage link without any citations from yourself to prove your point.

I'm not sure how any of this was pertinent to our conversation but I will leave it there if you're going to stoop down the heirarchy into ad hominem.

It's a link to google, if you can't find a result that suits you add a search term. The user (and you) have stated categorically that there is no police brutality in Ireland, yet clearly there are examples of it. If my response was lazy, how lazy was the statement?

Advertisement