Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I absolutely agree that meaningful change generally comes from within but it also needs to be in a position to make a difference.

But, that does not mean that abusive or prejudiced behaviour should be tolerated.

Again, to use an analogy.

Many people in Ireland use physical force to discipline their kids. That is illegal.
    There aren't protests about it, or outrage, or public conversation on the topic.
    If there were teachers in various schools doing so, all the above would happen and teachers, principals, Board of Management members and the Minister for Education would be held to account over it.

The police are a public funded arm of officialdom who are there to protect all members of the public. The evidence is that one group not only don't feel protected, they feel targeted and there is evidence to support this.

Maybe that 10% that Biafranlivemat showed BLM are looking to be diverted could be used to start the change within communities in conjunction with action on police practices.

That analogy makes no sense whatsoever. Who are these "many people" beating their children in Ireland?. And more importantly wtf has it got to do with anything? . As you said no - There's no protests about it - because where it does happen. It is dealt with by the relevant authorities. And no teachers are not involved in mass beatings either. So thats absolute and utter rubbish tbh

Its like your just making stuff up or are just having a laugh at this stage. Its hard to tell tbh.

Absolutley parents need to take responsibility for their children. And that includes fathers as well as mothers . And more importantly the law needs to be respected not abused (and no I'm not talking about the actions of individual police officers). If something is not working properly - then that means it should be remedied. Not used as an excuse for violence, looting, burning and incitment to hatred against others :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Back at it again. Listen to the venom in this entitled privileged moron. I thought he was going to vogue at one stage.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1302774218229075968

Back at it again. Listen to the venom in this entitled privileged moron. I thought he was going to vogue at one stage.

Interesting to see that other black customers trying to get out of the way in the face of the harassment and intimidation by these so called "protesters".

But yeah just another peaceful protest. Nothing to see. Moving quickly along ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I cant for the life of me figure out why everyone doesn't support them :confused::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I see from one of the banners there they are not looking to defund the police, they are actually looking for the abolishment of the police.

There's only one group of people who would think that the abolishment of the police is a good idea.........and that's criminals.

By the way, in that little clip we saw theft, harrassment, damage to private property etc. Anybody want to defend that?

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    By the way, in that little clip we saw theft, harrassment, damage to private property etc. Anybody want to defend that?

"They aren't representative of what BLM is about etc etc"
    "They are only acting out because of injustices they have experienced etc etc"

Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What is all the footage of them intimidating people sitting outside cafes etc?

Was there a call for people not to support these premises on the route of the march or what is the meaning of it at all? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Was there a call for people not to support these premises on the route of the march or what is the meaning of it at all? :confused:

As far as I can see, BLM is an organisation that has a worthwhile cause but has been hijacked by racists, anti-white people, criminals and scumbags and is actually being quite successful at turning reasonable people against them and their cause.

I know it's a minority of BLM people engaging in scumbaggery but it's tarnishing the whole cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

As far as I can see, BLM is an organisation that has a worthwhile cause but has been hijacked by racists, anti-white people, criminals and scumbags and is actually being quite successful at turning reasonable people against them and their cause.

I know it's a minority of BLM people engaging in scumbaggery but it's tarnishing the whole cause.

I'd seen the scenes of the rioting/looting ... but if I can't sit outside and have a beer without being harassed by protestors, thats where I draw the line :)

Ahh well, as far as I can see, BLM due to the way it was organised, encouraged that the message be taken over by other elements. BLM has a core center as an organisation, with affiliations with all manner of groups, but no responsibility/leadership is given to those groups by the core BLM. So, BLM are lauded for all the groups that do good, but anything negative can be dismissed as being extremist.

The problem with BLM, racism, and black supremacy, has it's roots in African American culture. The manner on which people behave towards other racial groups and themselves. When Black people call each other "N*****" it reinforces that behavior, just as the attitude of calling their women "B1tch or Whore", but passed off as casual and relaxed banter. There's all manner of negative behavior which AA people engage in, which when done by a White person would be seen as racist, aggressive, etc, but when done by Black person, it's perfectly fine.

There is such a rush to dismiss the aggressive customs or behavioral norms within AA culture.. like as if such behavior isn't connected to the way people think, and how they perceive others (or even themselves). Which is why BLM or any similar movement is doomed to promote reverse racism, discrimination, and supremacy... because it's foundation is flawed. There's no desire to come to grips with the negativity within their own society, so they're in no position to truly reform the negatives in American 'white' society.

Think of a White person who acted like a Black person. The shouting, the waving hands, the aggressive body language, combined with the racial/sexist slurs. Would it be acceptable? If not... then why is it acceptable for Black people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

In what appears to be a sensible move, the city of Rochester, NY has diverted crisis intervention calls from the police to the Department of Youth and Recreation Services following the death of Daniel Prude and protests that have seen "outside agitators" also getting involved.

Police in the US are not adequately trained to deal with these issues which led to what occurred, while this is the type of area that the likes of social workers are better prepared for. Even though this will inevitably result in defunding of the Rochester police in order to divert funds to the DYRS for these issues, the police chief appears to agree that it is the right thing to do.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1239444
    The city of Rochester, New York, is moving crisis intervention out of the police department amid outrage and protests over the death of Daniel Prude, a Black man with mental health issues who died after officers placed a spit hood over his head and restrained him.

Mayor Lovely Warren announced that the crisis intervention department and its budget would be moved to the city's Department of Youth and Recreation Services during a news conference Sunday. Protests following the release of video of the incident involving Prude in March have continued for days.

Police Chief La'Ron Singletary told reporters that he recognized the need for reform in his department and that he was working with experts and clinicians to get outpatient services for those who struggle with mental health and are in repeated contact with police.

"I understand that there are certain calls that law enforcement shouldn't handle alone, and we are looking at ways to reimagine policing surrounding mental health and have been for the last several months," Singletary said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

hetuzozaho wrote: »

BLM is an opportunity for various social misfits to align under some sort of "correct" banner. It gives them a veneer of respectability.
    So you can see horrible awful people who haven't a good bone in their body are able to feel good about themselves while they abuse people.
    That's what they are there for, to bully, set fires and intimidate enough that they feel empowered. Mental illness seems rampant in their ranks.
    I think Department of Foreign affairs needs to offer some additional advisories on travel to USA, seems last updated in march.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/united-states-of-america/
    Latest Travel Alert

Protests, in some cases violent, have taken place in major cities across the United States in recent weeks. Curfews have been enforced in many cities as a result. There is potential for further protests and curfews. Irish citizens are advised to avoid large gatherings of people, and to follow the advice of the local authorities.

biko wrote: »
    Critical race theory
    You can even send money to the presenter if you wish.

Remember, white people are "demons" (so I assume their lives don't much matter)

image.jpg

What is said then?

I worry about her pending diabetes. Poor girl. Obesity is such a problem over there.

I worry about her pending diabetes. Poor girl. Obesity is such a problem over there.

To be fair. Her attitude towards other races seems to be a much bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Australian cricket team ,currently playing in England has refused to take the knee .
    Australia's white-ball captain Aaron Finch has confirmed that England captain Eoin Morgan, too, is on the same page as him.

However, Aaron Finch feels that more than these protests, it is important for people to be educated about it.

"I have spoken to Eoin (Morgan) and we are not going to do specific gestures like it has happened in the past. The education around it is more important than the protest," said the Australian in a virtual press conference.

"For us, we are really proud to play a game where it is celebrated all around the world and anyone can play it. It doesn't matter what race, what religion, what nationality you are from. Cricket is a game for everyone and I am really proud about that," added Finch.

Very well said .

In what appears to be a sensible move, the city of Rochester, NY has diverted crisis intervention calls from the police to the Department of Youth and Recreation Services following the death of Daniel Prude and protests that have seen "outside agitators" also getting involved.

Police in the US are not adequately trained to deal with these issues which led to what occurred, while this is the type of area that the likes of social workers are better prepared for. Even though this will inevitably result in defunding of the Rochester police in order to divert funds to the DYRS for these issues, the police chief appears to agree that it is the right thing to do.

I pity the poor social worker who is confronted by some naked bloke, out of his head on pcp and spitting at everyone called to deal with the situation during a Covid Outbreak as happened in a recent case*. And no that doesn't excuse the that he died while being restrained by police officers.

And you do realise the only ones who will suffer if the police are defunded - are the victims of crime. Those who benifit? - the criminals. Nice.

No reason funds not to be made avaiable in addition to normal policing demands.

This 'defund' ****e is nothing but an excuse for those looking to 'police themselves'. Yeah like that's going to work in the US.

*https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/us/daniel-prude-body-cam-details/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

gozunda wrote: »
    I pity the poor social worker who is confronted by some naked bloke, out of his head on pcp and spitting at everyone called to deal with the situation during a Covid Outbreak as happened in a recent case*. And no that doesn't excuse the that he died while being restrained by police officers.

And you do realise the only ones who will suffer if the police are defunded - are the victims of crime. Those who benifit? - the criminals. Nice.

This 'defund' ****e is nothing but an excuse for those looking to 'police themselves'. Yeah like that's going to work in the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/us/daniel-prude-body-cam-details/index.html

We all saw what happened in Chaz/Chop. Remove the police from the equation and the loonies take over.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    We all saw what happened in Chaz/Chop. Remove the police from the equation and the loonies take over.

I'm not familiar with that one. What was that?

This 'defund' ****e is nothing but an excuse for those looking to 'police themselves'. Yeah like that's going to work.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/us/daniel-prude-body-cam-details/index.html
    That is the life of social workers, who deal with this stuff very often - I don't envy them, but I also don't envy some cops or nurses who also find themselves in very difficult positions. It is best to put the most qualified people to deal with these situations, which Rochester appear to be doing here.

You also seem to think defunding in this instance means taking every penny away from them and getting rid of all police services so people can "police themselves"; it doesn't. It means if diverting a small part of their budget that covers the costs of these types of calls, and diverting them to the new body that will be doing so in future. You could fund social services to deal with these while not taking any funding from the police to do so - but then you're paying the police (as a department) the same money to do less, and still need to get the money from somewhere in a country where raising taxes is often extremely unpopular.

What was that?

I assume you know what the autonomous zones were.

Because any society needs a degree of leadership, and reinforced boundaries. The police reinforce the boundaries within mainstream society. With CHOP/CHAZ, the moment they gained autonomy, all manner of beliefs regarding how society should be managed were put forward. Segregation occurred both by different minorities, and by whites, along with a breakdown of social order, that was only enforceable by those with "the power" (strength, firearms, etc).

BLM doesn't offer leadership. It's mandate/manifesto is full of vague statements, but there's little in the way of specifics as to how a society will operate. Without the police, there will, once again, be the rise of the "gangsta" or the armed activists to fill the vacuum of authority. Even without them, you'll see people stealing from each other, mouthing inane remarks about community property, and the needs of.. bla bla bla.

Basically, CHOP/CHAZ showed just how important a structure is... but BLM and those activists who support the movement, have little real connection with each other over how that structure should be, and how it should be enforced. Relying on people to be "good" isn't enough.

• Advertisement

If a police budget gets cut by a tiny percentage, and that same percentage then goes to a separate body (such as social services/workers) for taking on the duties of specific types of calls like we have seen happen in Rochester, does that mean the police in that area no longer exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If a police budget gets cut by a tiny percentage, and that same percentage then goes to a separate body (such as social services/workers) for taking on the duties of specific types of calls like we have seen happen in Rochester, does that mean the police in that area no longer exists?

I was speaking about the Chaz/Chop issue in isolation.

Glazers Out!

You also seem to think defunding in this instance means taking every penny away from them and getting rid of all police services so people can "police themselves"; it doesn't. It means if diverting a small part of their budget that covers the costs of these types of calls, and diverting them to the new body that will be doing so in future. You could fund social services to deal with these while not taking any funding from the police to do so - but then you're paying the police (as a department) the same money to do less, and still need to get the money from somewhere in a country where raising taxes is often extremely unpopular.

To date, I have read or heard dozens of different interpretations of what it means, with everyone being sure that their interpretation is what it really does mean, and yet, their opinions contradict each other.

Fact is, nobody really knows what it means, because few people want to take responsibility should it fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Look at that poor oppressed Woman. Wasting away to nothing.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Look at that poor oppressed Woman. Wasting away to nothing.

Malnutrition can lead to weight gain as well as weight loss. If you are from a lower societal class, you are more likely to be obese.

To date, I have read or heard dozens of different interpretations of what it means, with everyone being sure that their interpretation is what it really does mean, and yet, their opinions contradict each other.

Fact is, nobody really knows what it means, because few people want to take responsibility should it fail.
    The poster was responding to my use of it, in which I stated "Even though this* will inevitably result in defunding of the Rochester police in order to divert funds to the DYRS for these issues, the police chief appears to agree that it is the right thing to do."

*'This' being having social services respond to calls like the Daniel Prude one.

What I meant by that was that handing over responsibility of a type of call to a different services will likely see some funding transfer from the one that previously responded (police) to the one that will in future (social services). It did not mean taking any and all funding of any sort that the Rochester police department receive away from them.

I was speaking about the Chaz/Chop issue in isolation.
    Alright, in which case it would seem we agree that removing some funds from Rochester police to the relative social services who will now be taking some calls they are more qualified for, will not result in the removal of police from the streets of Rochester.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm not familiar with that one. What was that?

Anarchist/BLM enclave in Seattle, they occupied 6 blocks for a few weeks and kept police out.

5 shot, 2 dead, multiple stabbings, multiple rapes, overdoses, robberies, assaults.

Their rich kid utopia crashed in to savagery in weeks.

That is the life of social workers, who deal with this stuff very often - I don't envy them, but I also don't envy some cops or nurses who also find themselves in very difficult positions. It is best to put the most qualified people to deal with these situations, which Rochester appear to be doing here.

Nope. Incorrect. I did not state that
    I know that police forces in the US are run on a shoestring.

And these are your own words.
    Even though this will inevitably result in defunding of the Rochester police in order to divert funds to the DYRS for these issues, the police chief appears to agree that it is the right thing to do

You said it right there. "Defund the police". So if and where police lose any funding those who are the victins of crime suffer. Its really not that hard to understand.

What is also true is that some blm groups are not just looking for defunding the police but to abolish them. And the same have made public demands that they wish to police themselves. What a ****ing joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Take a look back 26 years to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act 1994, introduced by Democratic President Bill Clinton ... The notion that all the problems faced by African Americans being rooted in right wing political ideologies is seriously flawed.

An unsurprisingly clueless take. 'Democrats are leftists' 'leftists' introduce draconian laws ergo laws not 'right wing'.

I recommend not getting your clueless takes from pseudo-intellectual American reactionaries waffling on on YouTube. :)

Advertisement