Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Asians outperform Blacks in every level of attained 3rd level education.

Link

I think you missed my point:

Asians are discriminiated against in college admissions due to low performing African American students being given preferential treatment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/magazine/affirmative-action-asian-american-harvard.html

An averagely intelligent African American has so many opportunities open to them to gain a good salary and live the "American Dream" but something (more than likely within their community) is holding them back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭TheFactMan

John Doe1 wrote: »

Asians are discriminiated against in college admissions due to low performing African American students being given preferential treatment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/magazine/affirmative-action-asian-american-harvard.html

An averagely intelligent African American has so many opportunities open to them to gain a good salary and live the "American Dream" but something (more than likely within their community) is holding them back

Racism favorable to the black community is ok, "affirmative action" notice they always say white supremacy never asian never anything else it's all just white people that are doing it , that in of itself shows how ridiculous this movement and it's train of thought are.

They then cry institutional racism to which outside a handful of deaths by cops they don't really have much either , again it gets completely exposed as a fallacy once you get beyond the buzz words.

There best way of defending this notion is they will drag up a very specific case ,muddy the water with ridiculous amounts of unessasary information and try brand the whole force off the back of it .

These are all common tactics that if you didn't know better or weren't up to date on the situation it would be easy to be mislead by them and in my opinion thus the following they have...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,486 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mynamejeff wrote: »
    what kind of equity do they not have ?
    are they barred from working or living in some areas ? from involvement in politics or law enforcement ?

back to calling anyone who points out holes in your logic as racist I see , that didn't take long ….

Where did I call anyone a racist?

Black people "We got treated badly years ago so we are going to loot and burn people's places of business now"

Liberals "Great idea orange man bad" etc...

Hard working middle class Americans "I'm voting for Trump"

"years ago"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

John Doe1 wrote: »

I think it is clear you have missed the point. This is more of the 'come to God' narrative of those who belatedly shout 'All Lives Matter' more to keep one demographic down than to genuinely care for others.

From the article linked.
    A thin man sat in the back of the courtroom in a suit two sizes bigger than what’s fashionable these days. Every now and then he would jot down something in a notebook and then return to watching dispassionately with his hands folded in his lap. This was Edward Blum, the 67-year-old president of S.F.F.A., and paradoxically enough, given that he is a white man with no direct connection to the school, the only person named on the side of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against Harvard. Blum is not a lawyer or a politician, but he may be the most influential and effective opponent in the country of any progressive policy that tries to distinguish people by race and ethnicity. He exerts influence, in large part, because of his connections to wealthy conservative donors, but also from an indefatigable resolve to flood the legal system with lawsuits, some of which eventually make it to the Supreme Court.

Within such circles, concerns or praise in relation to Asian American Communities has been primarily focused in the more pressing need of keeping the Black Community in place. Link
    By the 1960s, anxieties about the civil right movement caused white Americans to further invest in positive portrayals of Asian Americans. The image of the hard-working Asian became an extremely convenient way to deny the demands of African Americans. As Wu describes in her book, both liberal and conservative politicians pumped up the image of Asian Americans as a way to shift the blame for black poverty. If Asians could find success within the system, politicians asked, why couldn’t African Americans?

• Advertisement

If it's so bad for black Americans in the US, why don't they leave?

So you support immigration for reasons that the country someone was born in is a bad place?

Will you spread the message to your conservative buddies screaming for a wall.

Blm have done nothing but drive a wedge between communites and the police , they've created a toxic environment which funnily enough will end up with more black men dying due to not being able to properly police areas

Except there is no evidence of that. On the contrary in fact given the numbers who have protested on the topic this year alone has made it the single biggest protest movement America has ever seen.

Denver's social intervention program kicked off June 1, just days after protests began. It has already responded to 350 calls that would otherwise be acted upon by tacticool police squads

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/09/06/denver-star-program-mental-health-police/

In one case highlighted, a 911 call of indecent exposure turned out to be a case of a homeless woman having nowhere else but a dirty alleyway to change clothes.

“It’s amazing how much stuff comes across 911 as the general, ‘I don’t know what to do, I guess I’ll call 911,’” Richardson said. “Someone sets up a tent? 911. I can’t find someone? 911.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think it is clear you have missed the point. This is more of the 'come to God' narrative of those who belatedly shout 'All Lives Matter' more to keep one demographic down than to genuinely care for others.

From the article linked.

Within such circles, concerns or praise in relation to Asian American Communities has been primarily focused in the more pressing need of keeping the Black Community in place. Link

How can you claim one side is being kept down, in the face of policies that discriminate clearly in their favor? Discrimination is wrong, end of. It's patronising to the extreme that you feel black people need "help" to achieve, compared to other ethnicities.

How can you claim one side is being kept down, in the face of policies that discriminate clearly in their favor? Discrimination is wrong, end of. It's patronising to the extreme that you feel black people need "help" to achieve, compared to other ethnicities.

Because, if you abuse and beat someone for months, years, the fact that you are then nice to them over a single topic does not undo all the injustice which they experienced.

And also, and once again, this current proclamation of 'Discrimination is wrong, end of' I'm going to take with a pinch of salt when I am only hearing it in relation to cases where black communities (or females, or disabled people, or migrants etc on other threads) are receiving some support to get to any way close to the position which their white peers have enjoyed for years.

People couldn't give a sh*t about equal rights for others, they just don't want to see specific efforts to help black people and it is very obvious that this is the case.

• Advertisement

They do not realize how lucky they are.
    The dumb jocks have fat paychecks because of the number of viewers, which means higher sponsorship and advertising money.

But since Viewership is down, their paychecks will be smaller.

More prejudice with no evidence other than years of indoctrination to expect to be able to see the world in a specific way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Overheal wrote: »

I think you might find the poster was referring to the issue of slavery which was being discussed.

But hey don't let that stop us from an constructive discussion on the (currently legal) use of neck restraints by many police forces in the US and elswhere and resulting deaths. And I dont know maybe promoting a bit of advocacy for this form of restraint to be abolished. Or hey we could use it as an excuse to support a bit of looting, rioting and harassment of others. What ya reckon?

Interestingly the use of such forms restraints are not only used by the police ...
    Positional asphyxia, also known as postural asphyxia, is a form of asphyxia which occurs when someone's position prevents the person from breathing adequately. Positional asphyxia also may be a result of the policing technique, "prone restraint" used by police, corrections, military, or health care staff. People may die from positional asphyxia accidentally, when the mouth and nose are blocked, or where the chest may be unable to fully expand.
    In the United States, there were 16 cases reported deaths in police custody between 1998 and 2009 in which restraint was a "direct or contributory factor to the death." The investigation into the deaths resulted in a 2010 report tabled by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Prolonged (particularly resisted) restraint, obesity, prior cardiac or respiratory problems, and the use of illicit drugs such as cocaine can increase the risk of death by restraint, according to a 2001 article in American Journal of Emergency Medicine.

And no discussing the issue does not excuse any such unnecessary deaths ...

More evidence to counter the claim that African Americans are benefiting solely at the hands of Asian Americans.
    Asian Americans are indeed treated unfairly in admissions, but affirmative action is a convenient scapegoat for those who seek to pit minority groups against each other. A more logical target would be “the preferences of privilege,” as I called them in my 2006 book, “The Price of Admission.”

These policies elevate predominantly white, affluent applicants: children of alumni, big non-alumni donors, politicians and celebrities, as well as recruited athletes in upper-crust sports like golf, sailing, horseback riding, crew and even, at some colleges, polo. The number of whites enjoying the preferences of privilege, I concluded, outweighed the number of minorities aided by affirmative action.

and what are your thoughts on the merits of this particular student and whether or not an Asian American lost out because he was granted a place.
    Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, has become the poster boy for this practice. As I reported in my book, Harvard accepted Kushner soon after receiving a $2.5 million pledge from his father, a real-estate developer and New York University graduate. While sources at Jared’s high school told me that he wasn’t near the top of his class, and didn’t always take the most challenging courses, a spokeswoman for Kushner Companies has described him as “an excellent student” and denied that his father’s gift was intended to improve his chances of admission.

And to further identify the real benefits of any such practice, read the final sentence.
    My research indicated that college admissions officers tended to compare stellar Asian-American candidates to each other, rather than to the rest of the applicant pool. The result at some universities amounted to an informal quota system, with the percentage of Asian Americans admitted as freshman changing little from year to year. The proportion at Harvard, which long hovered below 20 percent, reached 22.2 percent for the class of 2021. Who takes the places of the spurned Asians? As far back as 1990, an investigation of Harvard by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights pointed to recipients of so-called “white affirmative action.”

gozunda wrote: »
    I think you might find the poster was referring to the issue of slavery which was being discussed.

But hey don't let that stop us from an constructive discussion on the (currently legal) use of neck restraints by many police forces in the US and elswhere and resulting deaths. And I dont know maybe promoting a bit of advocacy for this form of restraint to be abolished. Or hey we could use it as an excuse to support a bit of looting, rioting and harassment of others. What ya reckon?

Interestingly the use of such forms restraints are not only used by the police ...

And no discussing the issue does not excuse any such unnecessary deaths ...

My patently obvious point being that tens of millions of people aren't marching because slavery happened, but because of current events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

People couldn't give a sh*t about equal rights for others, they just don't want to see specific efforts to help black people and it is very obvious that this is the case.

I genuinely am sorry you think the world is like this, mustn't be a very nice place to be. I can only tell you I believe you are wrong and people just want to get along in life and for the most part aren't out to get others or hold others down. Can I just ask who these "people" are in your opinion is it everyone not black or white Americans or white people in general ?

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I genuinely am sorry you think the world is like this, mustn't be a very nice place to be. I can only tell you I believe you are wrong and people just want to get along in life and for the most part aren't out to get others or hold others down. Can I just ask who these "people" are in your opinion is it everyone not black or white Americans or white people in general ?

People on Boards who go from thread to thread undermining any advocacy for any group, female, black, migrant, traveller vociferously.

You're on Boards about a year, that should have been enough time to see the consistency of viewpoints from certain accounts.

Because, if you abuse and beat someone for months, years, the fact that you are then nice to them over a single topic does not undo all the injustice which they experienced. And also, and once again, this current proclamation of 'Discrimination is wrong, end of' I'm going to take with a pinch of salt when I am only hearing it in relation to cases where black communities (or females, or disabled people, or migrants etc on other threads) are receiving some support to get to any way close to the position which their white peers have enjoyed for years.

Who the frack is abusing and beating "someone for months, years ... and then "being nice to them over a single topic" ????

The level of hyperbole and daft analogies in that comment is truely mind boggling.

As to the highlighted bit - you can start by Speaking for your self on that score and less with the self righteous projection bs - a common theme seen your comments tbh.

People on Boards who go from thread to thread undermining any advocacy for any group, female, black, migrant, traveller vociferously.

You're on Boards about a year, that should have been enough time to see the consistency of viewpoints from certain accounts.

I see it elsewhere as well. During the suffrage movement affluent women even campaigned against women's rights because it would upset their status as unemployed homemakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I see it elsewhere as well. During the suffrage movement affluent women even campaigned against women's rights because it would upset their status as unemployed homemakers.

F##k me...what age are you?

F##k me...what age are you?

my age is irrelevant to the fact stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

my age is irrelevant to the fact stated.

I'm genuinely only kidding...I'm gonna assume you weren't around back then...

My patently obvious point being that tens of millions of people aren't marching because slavery happened, but because of current events.

Doesn't change the fact that's not what the poster was referring to in the context of the discussion.

And yes that rhetoric is absolutely being used to justify violence, rioting and 'reperations'.

I'm genuinely only kidding...I'm gonna assume you weren't around back then...

I figured.

Here's a link since I made a claim of fact anyhow

https://www.historyextra.com/period/20th-century/anti-suffrage-campaign-women-who-didnt-want-vote-mary-augusta-ward/

Who the frack is abusing and beating "someone for months, years ... and then "being nice to them over a single topic" ????

The level of hyperbole and daft analogies in that comment is truely mind boggling.

As to the highlighted bit - you can start by Speaking for your self on that score and less with the self righteous projection bs - a common theme seen your comments tbh.

It doesn't surprise me you cannot grasp the analogy, you've gone to a lot of effort to keep a closed mind.

Doesn't change tte fact that's not what the poster was referring to in the context of the discussion.

And yes that rhetoric is absolutely being used to justify violence, rioting and 'reperations'.

extremists may well be justifying their violence to themselves that way but they have been widely condemned both on this thread and by political leaders that have otherwise been accused of egging it on. (here is Biden doing it again last night)

It doesn't surprise me you cannot grasp the analogy, you've gone to a lot of effort to keep a closed mind.

Perhaps actually answer the question asked and leave off with the usual ad hominem for a change?

But yes it remains your comment fails to make any sense whatsoever. Its simply more daft projection of an evidently warped logic.

I'll leave you at it ...

extremists may well be justifying their violence to themselves that way but they have been widely condemned both on this thread and by political leaders that have otherwise been accused of egging it on. (here is Biden doing it again last night)

OK but the poster was still making a valid point.

And yer man Bidden is yet another opportunistic politician.

We still have a long way to go..
    A Colorado man has been charged with a hate crime after stabbing a Black man from Ontario, Oregon while the man was sitting in a fast food restaurant, announced Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division and U.S. Attorney Billy J. Williams of the District of Oregon.

A federal grand jury in Portland has returned a one-count indictment charging Nolan Levi Strauss, 26, a Colorado resident, with a hate crime involving an attempt to kill.

According to the indictment, on the morning of Dec. 21, 2019, a 48-year-old Black man arrived at an Arby’s fast food restaurant adjoining the Pilot Travel Center in Ontario where he planned to provide final documentation for a pending job application. The man sat in the lobby of the restaurant while waiting for the manager.

Unprovoked and without warning, Strauss approached the man from behind and stabbed him in the neck. Following a struggle for the knife, the man freed himself and Strauss was detained by store employees. When asked by the store employee why he attacked the man, Strauss stated he did so because the man “was Black, and I don’t like Black people.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/colorado-man-charged-hate-crime-after-unprovoked-stabbing-black-man

OK but the poster was still making a valid point.

And yer man Bidden is yet another opportunistic politician.

He is, by name, someone who has been called out in this thread for not saying or doing enough. Now that he does, he's dismissed as "another opportunistic politician." Somehow I'm not surprised.

• Advertisement

I'm having visions of Overheal and tell me how screaming at the sky wearing fanny hats in early November..

Advertisement