Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm not going to ignore the content which posters post across various threads which paints a picture of their ideals and views. I mean that is literally how we form opinions of people in the real world, we take the information which they offer and context in which they offer it and do just that, form an opinion.

Your bar for what constitutes insulting is extremely low on one hand but not so low that you think the term garbage is insulting. Do you even see the hypocrisy or do you just ignore it or do you just go with the 'do as I say, not as I do approach?

Either way, I'll keep it in mind for a retort which won't have you feeling insulted in future.

Dare I say, it even comes across a bit precious. Even a bit like a...snowflake! Shock horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm not going to ignore the content which posters post across various threads which paints a picture of their ideals and views. I mean that is literally how we form opinions of people in the real world, we take the information which they offer and context in which they offer it and do just that, form an opinion. Your bar for what constitutes insulting is extremely low on one hand but not so low that you think the term garbage is insulting. Do you even see the hypocrisy or do you just ignore it or do you just go with the 'do as I say, not as I do approach?Either way, I'll keep it in mind for a retort which won't have you feeling insulted in future.

lol. Let me spell it out in simple words for you.

That type of generalised and personalised comments crap have no relevancy to what is being discussed in this thread. You repeatedly use it to attempt to dismiss all those who you do not agree with. Play the ball or not at all.

And no not my 'bar' my friend. Many many other posters have pointed this out as in the example of your comments used to attack / insult others.

And yes it remains what you posted by you was garbage imo. And that's a literal description. Take of it as you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    lol. Let me spell it out in simple words for you.

That type of generalised and personalised crap has no relevancy to what is being discussed in this thread. You repeatedly use it to attempt to dismiss all those who you do not agree with. Play the ball or not at all.

And no not my 'bar' my friend. Many many other posters have pointed this out as in the example of your comments used to attack / insult others.

And yes it remains what you posted by you was garbage imo. And that's a literal description. Take of it as you will.

'Personalised Crap'
    Lol, more of the same. You can't help yourself.

Report any post that gets your blood pressure to rise. After that, I really don't care. At all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Stop the digs and personalised comments at each other, any further posts of this type will receive a threadban

Lets get back on topic

Dare I say, it even comes across a bit precious. Even a bit like a...snowflake! Shock horror.

What does? Do you think protesters are snowflakes? Not an particularly useful expression tbh and I think most young people certainly wouldn't like be referred to as that -
    the term ‘snowflake’ is often used as a derogatory shorthand to refer to millennials, a generation said to be easily offended, attention-seeking and lacking resilience.”

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/06/09/who-is-the-snowflake-generation-and-why-are-they-fun-to-hate/

That said - it is notable that the age profile of recent arrests in at least one recent violent Portland protest where a group of protestors were arrested for attempted arson and possession of incendiary devices does seem to mostly fit with that age profile.Though whether that
    makes anyone a 'snowflake' seems a bit of moot no?

https://ktvz.com/news/crime-courts/2020/09/07/burn-it-down-portland-protesters-light-fire-near-police-precinct-15-arrested/

• Advertisement

CQD wrote:
    This.. the whole level of debate.. just across the board is just so depressingly low..

If you don't agree with BLM burning the place downyou're a racist.. it's just so remedial..

Except they haven't have they?

Are you sure about that? Seems burning buildings down has been a feature of these protests

For example:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/29/minneapolis-george-floyd-protest-fire-burning-building-collapse-jimenez-es-sot-vpx.cnn

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighter-safety/articles/va-police-chief-rioters-blocked-firefighters-from-burning-home-with-child-inside-OBxLwtKVzfgrFQmp/

And that's just two of many such reports tbf.

And it appears such burnings have been threatened by at least one Blm leader in New York
    “If this country doesn’t give us what we want, then we will burn down this system and replace it. All right? And I could be speaking figuratively. I could be speaking literally. It’s a matter of interpretation,”

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-leader-if-change-doesnt-happen-we-will-burn-down-this-system/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

what a surprise, when asked to provide evidence of these countless posts o racism, not one example could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

what a surprise, when asked to provide evidence of these countless posts o racism, not one example could be found.

Boards has a great problem with consistency. You can't call people stupid, but they can call you racist all they like. Surely being called a racist is worse than being called stupid?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Arguing with some people here, one is reminded that you can't reason someone out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into..
    Absolutely,

I have put people on ignore as I reached a point where their agenda, blatant bias, outright lies, and fantasy fabrications have made the thread feel like it is being spammed, I simply am not wasting my time reading their nonsense.

Those people only will be heard if we feed them, no more.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Boards has a great problem with consistency. You can't call people stupid, but they can call you racist all they like. Surely being called a racist is worse than being called stupid?

To be fair at least at least one poster that I remember got booted for throwing 'supremacist' and 'racist' slurs around.

That said the general level of name-calling by some on this tread is something else . And notably from those who claim to support the rights of others. You couldn't make it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thomas Sowell says it best I think when he said
    Anyone who studies the history of ideas should notice how much more often people on the political left, more so than others, denigrate and demonize those who disagree with them — instead of answering their arguments.

and
    The word "racism" is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a "racist."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm so glad Nick Buckely has been reinstated after being unfairly cancelled over reporting what BLM is really about.
    It looks like the tide is slowly changing
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nick+Buckley+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Any comment from BLM about the 53 people who were shot in Chicago last week or the 8 year old black girl killed in a drive by ,

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/chicago-shootings-labor-day-weekend-girl-killed/index.html

(CNN)An 8-year-old girl was among at least 53 people shot during a violent holiday weekend in Chicago, according to police officials.

Eight people died between Friday and Monday in shooting homicides, the Chicago Police Incident Notification website shows.

The girl was killed Monday evening after gunshots were fired into an SUV she was traveling in, Police Chief of Operations Brian McDermott said at a press conference

What evidence do you think can be offered when such posts are reported, removed and cards,/bans issued? And rightly so.

This.. the whole level of debate.. just across the board is just so depressingly low..

If you don't agree with BLM burning the place down you're a racist.. it's just so remedial..

Within this simple post, you made a statement in one sentence, and then provided an example of what you are talking about with the second.

Very illustrative and impressive that you are highlighting that you are pointing a finger at yourself for a depressingly low level of debate.

Any comment from BLM about the 53 people who were shot in Chicago last week or the 8 year old black girl killed in a drive by ,

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/chicago-shootings-labor-day-weekend-girl-killed/index.html

(CNN)An 8-year-old girl was among at least 53 people shot during a violent holiday weekend in Chicago, according to police officials.

Eight people died between Friday and Monday in shooting homicides, the Chicago Police Incident Notification website shows.

The girl was killed Monday evening after gunshots were fired into an SUV she was traveling in, Police Chief of Operations Brian McDermott said at a press conference

The police should investigate, hopefully identify suspects and arrest, charge and try them.

What do you think should be done?

That said the general level of name-calling by some on this tread is something else . And notably from those who claim to support the rights of others. You couldn't make it up
    Crap
    Garbage

You're right, you couldn't make it up, you dont need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The police should investigate, hopefully identify suspects and arrest, charge and try them.

I can't speak for anyone, but surely a march would help...

I remember ten years ago, 10,000 people marched in my home city for an end to gangland crime....and guess what, the crime issue was resolved.

Just a suggestion.

I remember ten years ago, 10,000 people marched in my home city for an end to gangland crime....and guess what, the crime issue was resolved.

Just a suggestion.

So Marches work.

More supporting evidence for the BLM strategy.

So Marches work.

More supporting evidence for the BLM strategy.

Let me be clear because I can see you are confused...the 10,000 people weren't marching to protest police behaviour, they were protesting that there wasn't enough policing...it was more policing that solved the issue...do you get me...more policing, more resources...I'm not sure the BLM movement is aligned with that idea...

• Advertisement

Let me be clear because I can see you are confused...the 10,000 people weren't marching to protest police behaviour, they were protesting that there wasn't enough policing...it was more policing that solved the issue...do you get me...more policing, more resources...I'm not sure the BLM movement is aligned with that idea...

Ah, so it is irrelevant to the issues with which the BLM have suffered.

Interesting contribution, but at least we agree on the merits of marches.

Just a suggestion.

I'm presuming that your march did not involve torching and looting of buildings along with harassment and intimidation of bystanders?

Ah, so it is irrelevant to the issues with which the BLM have suffered.

Interesting contribution, but at least we agree on the merits of marches.

Well...if you think the Black Lives Matter folks should march to end gangland violence and the murder of black people and intimidation of witnesses then we most certainly do agree...how is the murder of black men, women and children in a US city irrelevant to people whose movement is called black lives matter.

Well...if you think the Black Lives Matter folks should march to end gangland violence and the murder of black people and intimidation of witnesses then we most certainly do agree...how is the murder of black men, women and children in a US city irrelevant to people whose movement is called black lives matter.

Do you not think when an official state body is treating citizens unfairly resulting in many of their deaths that it won't lead to demands for action much sooner, and much more vociferously?

Imagine if the Gardai had been doing this, do you think it would have taken so long for there to be a march?

Maybe stop blaming police for all the deaths of black people . They could put a bit more effort into looking at all the gun crime in their own community which by the way kill thousands of black people every year instead of blaming the police who kill maybe a dozen black people a year in questionable circumstances

What evidence do you think can be offered when such posts are reported, removed and cards,/bans issued? And rightly so.

ok then please name these members that were banned for making these so called racist posts ?

The new intermin police chief in Rochester is Mark Simmons

Simmons is 40 years old, the son of a pastor, and an 18-year veteran of the Rochester Police Department.

He grew up on the city's northeast side, off North Goodman Street and is a 1998 graduate of Benjamin Franklin High School. He earned a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Keuka College as well as a master's degree in criminal justice administration. ...
    Simmons was vocal about his frustrations with City Council during a briefing, telling Councilman Mitch Gruber: "For weeks now, members of this council have been talking to the media saying the police are initiating the violence, the police are instigating this, the police are the cause of this. So to just gloss over it is incorrect, and is unfair to those officers out on the line. So I think you owe those officers an apology."

Not only has he to deal with continued blm protests and violence - in his first couple of days as acting chief of police - he has had to cope with mass shooting at an illegal event which broke covid restrictions ...

2 Dead, 14 Wounded At Party in Rochester, New York

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-19/deadly-shooting-under-investigation-in-rochester-new-york

And contrary to the bias being promoted by some of the blm supporters - thankfully there are people trying to improve their community and work with the police in Rochester to drive down black on black crime

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2020/08/26/these-women-know-loss--both-are-working-to-end-violence-in-rochester

*https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/09/14/mark-simmons-new-rochester-ny-police-chief-interim-replace-laron-singletary-daniel-prude/5800015002/

For the attention of a moderator

Has any member of here been banned from this thread for making these alleged "racist posts" ?

The reason I ask , if there has been no banned members how long are people allowed to make unfounded accusations without recourse.

The new intermin police chief in Rochester is Mark Simmons

Not only has he to deal with continued blm protests and violence - in his first couple of days as acting chief of police - he has had to cope with mass shooting at an illegal event which broke covid restrictions ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-19/deadly-shooting-under-investigation-in-rochester-new-york

And contrary to the bias being promoted by some of the blm supporters - thankfully there are people trying to improve their community and work with the police in Rochester to drive down black on black crime

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2020/08/26/these-women-know-loss--both-are-working-to-end-violence-in-rochester

*https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/09/14/mark-simmons-new-rochester-ny-police-chief-interim-replace-laron-singletary-daniel-prude/5800015002/

It's a lot easier to blame white cops for your problems, which there are some legitimate cases but until they decide to tackle the real problems like drugs, gangs , culture , black people are going to continue to die . Could you imagine if blm marched in the cities to protest that they want more cops and to clean up the areas instead of defunding the police . Or how about they tell the cops who are doing all the killings instead of the " no snitching" mentality. I seen a tweet the other day about 50 innocent kids under the age of 12 that have been killed in gang attacks in America this year. And yet they riot and protest over criminals like george Floyd and Jacob Blake . There's something seriously fxcked up that !! All the kids are in the comments in the tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/leonydusjohnson?prefetchtimestamp=1600540951243

• Advertisement

For the attention of a moderator

Has any member of here been banned from this thread for making these alleged "racist posts" ?

The reason I ask , if there has been no banned members how long are people allowed to make unfounded accusations without recourse.

The auld race card been thrown about if you don't agree with someone

Advertisement