Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Any comment from BLM about the 53 people who were shot in Chicago last week or the 8 year old black girl killed in a drive by ,

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/chicago-shootings-labor-day-weekend-girl-killed/index.html

(CNN)An 8-year-old girl was among at least 53 people shot during a violent holiday weekend in Chicago, according to police officials.

Eight people died between Friday and Monday in shooting homicides, the Chicago Police Incident Notification website shows.

The girl was killed Monday evening after gunshots were fired into an SUV she was traveling in, Police Chief of Operations Brian McDermott said at a press conference

BLM is mostly young rich white kids.

What is the sense of righteous, the feeling of reliving a revolution about stopping gang violence.

That's boomer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The auld race card been thrown about if you don't agree with someone

How many us have been accused of racism at this stage...

Don't use the word ghetto blaster, they don't like that word either...I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!!!

It's people who have succumbed to an emotive position, it's the only thing that makes sense to them...when I see the word racism or sexism I imagine an old priest shouting blasphemer...it's the same thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Danzy wrote: »
    BLM is mostly young rich white kids.

What is the sense of righteous, the feeling of reliving a revolution about stopping gang violence.

That's boomer stuff.

This is what BLM is

https://blacklivesmatter.com/news/

People rarely take the time to understand what these people are about and why they should be stopped before it's too late

this is one of my favourite

"We know that police don’t keep us safe — and as long as we continue to pump money into our corrupt criminal justice system at the expense of housing, health, and education investments — we will never be truly safe"

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

Do you not think when an official state body is treating citizens unfairly resulting in many of their deaths that it won't lead to demands for action much sooner, and much more vociferously?

Imagine if the Gardai had been doing this, do you think it would have taken so long for there to be a march?

Seeing the Gardai reference I presume by "official state body" you mean the police?

Just wondering did you accidentally or deliberately ignore all the links on this thread and others debunking that myth?

It's almost as comical as Junkyard Tom saying (correctly to be fair) we can't accept a headline stat (without correction) on police shooting more white people than black (as white people make up more of the population) but then saying that adjusting stats on killings by police for crime rates is "manipulative"

Here's one I posted earlier - there are others
    The Myth of Systemic Police Racism

George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis has revived the Obama-era narrative that law enforcement is endemically racist. On Friday, Barack Obama tweeted that for millions of black Americans, being treated differently by the criminal justice system on account of race is “tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal.’ ” Mr. Obama called on the police and the public to create a “new normal,” in which bigotry no longer “infects our institutions and our hearts.”

Joe Biden released a video the same day in which he asserted that all African-Americans fear for their safety from “bad police” and black children must be instructed to tolerate police abuse just so they can “make it home.” That echoed a claim Mr. Obama made after the ambush murder of five Dallas officers in July 2016. During their memorial service, the president said African-American parents were right to fear that their children may be killed by police officers whenever they go outside.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz denounced the “stain . . . of fundamental, institutional racism” on law enforcement during a Friday press conference. He claimed blacks were right to dismiss promises of police reform as empty verbiage.

This charge of systemic police bias was wrong during the Obama years and remains so today. However sickening the video of Floyd’s arrest, it isn’t representative of the 375 million annual contacts that police officers have with civilians. A solid body of evidence finds no structural bias in the criminal-justice system with regard to arrests, prosecution or sentencing. Crime and suspect behavior, not race, determine most police actions.

In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.

On Memorial Day weekend in Chicago alone, 10 African-Americans were killed in drive-by shootings. Such routine violence has continued—a 72-year-old Chicago man shot in the face on May 29 by a gunman who fired about a dozen shots into a residence; two 19-year-old women on the South Side shot to death as they sat in a parked car a few hours earlier; a 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed with his own knife that same day. This past weekend, 80 Chicagoans were shot in drive-by shootings, 21 fatally, the victims overwhelmingly black. Police shootings are not the reason that blacks die of homicide at eight times the rate of whites and Hispanics combined; criminal violence is.

The latest in a series of studies undercutting the claim of systemic police bias was published in August 2019 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The researchers found that the more frequently officers encounter violent suspects from any given racial group, the greater the chance that a member of that group will be fatally shot by a police officer. There is “no significant evidence of antiblack disparity in the likelihood of being fatally shot by police,” they concluded.

A 2015 Justice Department analysis of the Philadelphia Police Department found that white police officers were less likely than black or Hispanic officers to shoot unarmed black suspects. Research by Harvard economist Roland G. Fryer Jr. also found no evidence of racial discrimination in shootings. Any evidence to the contrary fails to take into account crime rates and civilian behavior before and during interactions with police.

The false narrative of systemic police bias resulted in targeted killings of officers during the Obama presidency. The pattern may be repeating itself. Officers are being assaulted and shot at while they try to arrest gun suspects or respond to the growing riots. Police precincts and courthouses have been destroyed with impunity, which will encourage more civilization-destroying violence. If the Ferguson effect of officers backing off law enforcement in minority neighborhoods is reborn as the Minneapolis effect, the thousands of law-abiding African-Americans who depend on the police for basic safety will once again be the victims.

The Minneapolis officers who arrested George Floyd must be held accountable for their excessive use of force and callous indifference to his distress. Police training needs to double down on de-escalation tactics. But Floyd’s death should not undermine the legitimacy of American law enforcement, without which we will continue on a path toward chaos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

How many us have been accused of racism at this stage...

Don't use the word ghetto blaster, they don't like that word either...I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!!!

It's people who have succumbed to an emotive position, it's the only thing that makes sense to them...when I see the word racism or sexism I imagine an old priest shouting blasphemer...it's the same thing!!!

seems its okay to call people racist,
    Ok to spout unsubstantiated accusations.
    Tell outright blatant lies.

but god forbid you call someone making the racist claims stupid...that could get you a ban

• Advertisement

Do you not think when an official state body is treating citizens unfairly resulting in many of their deaths that it won't lead to demands for action much sooner, and much more vociferously?

Imagine if the Gardai had been doing this, do you think it would have taken so long for there to be a march?

Would it be reasonable as part of the demand for action to expect citizens of all colors to minimize involvement with crime and, in the unlucky event of being arrested, to comply with the cops so as to avoid the need to use guns?

It's a lot easier to blame white cops for your problems, which there are some legitimate cases but until they decide to tackle the real problems like drugs, gangs , culture , black people are going to continue to die . Could you imagine if blm marched in the cities to protest that they want more cops and to clean up the areas instead of defunding the police . Or how about they tell the cops who are doing all the killings instead of the " no snitching" mentality. I seen a tweet the other day about 50 innocent kids under the age of 12 that have been killed in gang attacks in America this year. And yet they riot and protest over criminals like george Floyd and Jacob Blake . There's something seriously fxcked up that !! All the kids are in the comments in the tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/leonydusjohnson?prefetchtimestamp=1600540951243

More police is probably the best option for black people living in poor areas. Keeping the kids out of crime and prevent them from becoming criminals too. Give them some positive values instead of teaching them that everybody is out there to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    More police is probably the best option for black people living in poor areas. Keeping the kids out of crime and prevent them from becoming criminals too. Give them some positive values instead of teaching them that everybody is out there to get them.

How are police hovering around them constantly instilling positive values and making them feel like someone isn’t out to get them? The stop and frisk would be off the charts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Would it be reasonable as part of the demand for action to expect citizens of all colors to minimize involvement with crime and, in the unlucky event of being arrested, to comply with the cops so as to avoid the need to use guns?

This is the agenda of people you are dealing with.

Its a well known fact, that the police has shot and killed more WHITE people...not black.

and the blacks that are shot are mostly killed by black and hispanic officers.

There is a clear and obvious agenda here blatantly fabricate things to make it appear white officers are shooting blacks for fun.

Maybe if blacks were not so much more involved in serious crime and murder, which they commit more than white people, maybe black officers would not be shooting them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Please show me just 2 of these many racist posts.

or is this yet another of your wild fabrications you constantly make up.
    what a surprise, when asked to provide evidence of these countless posts o racism, not one example could be found.
    I have put people on ignore as I reached a point where their agenda
    ok then please name these members that were banned for making these so called racist posts ?
    For the attention of a moderator

Has any member of here been banned from this thread for making these alleged "racist posts" ?

The reason I ask , if there has been no banned members how long are people allowed to make unfounded accusations without recourse.
    seems its okay to call people racist,
    Ok to spout unsubstantiated accusations.
    Tell outright blatant lies.

but god forbid you call someone making the racist claims stupid...that could get you a ban

Justin Credible Darts do not post in this thread again

Despite multiple mod warnings to stop personalized remarks and get the thread back on topic your recent posts have made no attempt to discuss the topic of the thread and are just point scoring or off topic

• Advertisement

This is the agenda of people you are dealing with.

Its a well known fact, that the police has shot and killed more WHITE people...not black.

and the blacks that are shot are mostly killed by black and hispanic officers.

There is a clear and obvious agenda here blatantly fabricate things to make it appear white officers are shooting blacks for fun.

Maybe if blacks were not so much more involved in serious crime and murder, which they commit more than white people, maybe black officers would not be shooting them

BLM people stop listening as soon as you ask them to follow the law.
    maybe it's time for them to start their own country with no police and no laws, and see how they get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's a lot easier to blame white cops for your problems, which there are some legitimate cases but until they decide to tackle the real problems like drugs, gangs , culture , black people are going to continue to die . Could you imagine if blm marched in the cities to protest that they want more cops and to clean up the areas instead of defunding the police . Or how about they tell the cops who are doing all the killings instead of the " no snitching" mentality. I seen a tweet the other day about 50 innocent kids under the age of 12 that have been killed in gang attacks in America this year. And yet they riot and protest over criminals like george Floyd and Jacob Blake . There's something seriously fxcked up that !! All the kids are in the comments in the tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/leonydusjohnson?prefetchtimestamp=1600540951243

You detailed the issue of the current high crime rates - and yes imo it is probably more important that ever to have a properly funded police force in place.

I was detailing some of what has been going on in Rochester atm. Both the outgoing Police Chief in Rochester Le-ron Singletray and the newly appointed interim Chief of Police Mark L. Simmons  are of African American backgrounds
    Both very highly qualified and experienced senior police officers

The odd thing is that listening to some blm fanatics - you'd come away with the impression that it's a war of black civilian against white policemen.

The fact is black or African American police actually make up 12.2% of all police forces in the US. Which is close to the proportion black / African American population at 13%.

Though I dont think that suits the rhetoric being pushed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I'd go full John Wick on these c*nts for doing this with my dog in the car. Pathetic individuals with no purpose in life besides attack and destroy people or property in the name of a parasitical movement.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1307397954655776769

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Overheal wrote: »
    How are police hovering around them constantly instilling positive values and making them feel like someone isn’t out to get them? The stop and frisk would be off the charts.

those awful awful policemen . making it hard for people to carry drugs and guns . sure how else is a young black urban male gona get rich ?

I'd go full John Wick on these c*nts for doing this with my dog in the car. Pathetic individuals with no purpose in life besides attack and destroy people or property in the name of a parasitical movement.

Truly miserable. No idea why anybody would defend them
    Disgusting people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Disgusting people

Let them at it, they are about to drive the biggest black and latino vote to a Republican President in history destroying the Democrats for some time to come, they will only have themselves to blame!!!

Disgusting people

Don't see anyone defending them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I hear, but have no confirmation, that this was a case of mistaken identity and the guy in that car was actually a protestor.

Friendly fire attack?

Don't see anyone defending them?

You didn't see anyone defending BLM protesters in the last 400 pages?
    Anyway, they are only going to make more people vote for Trump

You didn't see anyone defending BLM protesters in the last 400 pages?

I don't see anyone defending the people in the video.

Here we go with people conflating a few individuals with being an entire movement and ideology.

• Advertisement

I don't see anyone defending the people in the video.

Here we go with people conflating a few individuals with being an entire movement

Well there's certainly no one censoring them in that video either. Wheres the organisers of these movements who are fairly vocal otherwise?

And yes just like some people conflating a few police with entire police forces ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes just like some people conflating a few police with entire police forces ...

Who has done that?

The reality is that police reform is urgently needed as the institution is designed to protect, not ostracize its “bad apples.”

When I hear leaked recordings of cops talking each other up to “kill N*rs” that tells me that’s a few bad apples and worse it signals to me that if we got that recording on a fluke, there are surely more among the millions. Rather than agree to reform their departments, unions and departments double down. We saw an elderly white man have his skull cracked open and rather than take a hard look in the mirror the entire task force quit their duty. They don’t just have institutional race problems but institutional brutality problems, with a whole database of social media posts to reinforce the fact that many cops glorify it. That’s a far cry from “canceling” the police though.

Who has done that?

The reality is that police reform is urgently needed as the institution is designed to protect, not ostracize its “bad apples.”

When I hear leaked recordings of cops talking each other up to “kill N*rs” that tells me that’s a few bad apples and worse it signals to me that if we got that recording on a fluke, there are surely more among the millions. Rather than agree to reform their departments, unions and departments double down. We saw an elderly white man have his skull cracked open and rather than take a hard look in the mirror the entire task force quit their duty. They don’t just have institutional race problems but institutional brutality problems, with a whole database of social media posts to reinforce the fact that many cops glorify it. That’s a far cry from “canceling” the police though.

blm?

So your saying a few bad apples in blm are OK? but a few bad apples in the police warrents complete reform / defunding / abolishment.

And yet here we have blm who seem to be certainly protecting, not ostracising its “bad apples.”

And yes some police forces are being reformed. And yes many police are also resigning their commissions because of the hate and vitriol being directed at them across the board.

Thats likley to continue. But that's not enough for the mob apparently

You're still not on about those dodgey recordings shown to be highly suspect on this very thead?

Nobody saying the police are perfect either. The US is an incredibly violent society. I personally wouldn't like to do any of their jobs. And yes there are indeed some bad cops. The police emply officers from all ethnicities. And yes black police officers are employed representativly to white police officers. And more black suspects are killed by non white officers than otherwise.

Eitherway from the above looks like you have decided to hang, draw and quarter the majority of police on your personal suppositions / social media etc

gozunda wrote: »
    blm?

So your saying a few bad apples in blm are OK?

It's an ideology, despite some organization having the name. Not really trying to equivocate that to the police institution are you?
    You're still not on about those dodgey recordings shown to be highly suspect on this very thead?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/25/wilmington-racist-police-recording/

Sitting in his patrol car in Wilmington, N.C., Officer Michael “Kevin” Piner predicted Black Lives Matter protests would soon lead to civil war. “I’m ready,” Piner told another officer, adding that he planned to buy an assault rifle.

“We are just going to go out and start slaughtering them f

n
    ,” he said.

The shocking threat came amid extended, openly racist conversations between Piner, 44, and two other police officers, 50-year-old Cpl. Jesse E. Moore II, and 48-year-old Officer James “Brian” Gilmore. In the discussions, taped by accident on a patrol car camera and released Wednesday by the department, the men freely drop racial slurs, suggest killing black residents and deride protesters.

“Wipe 'em off the f
    map,” Piner said of African Americans. “That’ll put 'em back about four or five generations.”

All three officers were fired Wednesday, with new Wilmington Police Chief Donny Williams, who is black, calling the conversations “brutally offensive.”

“This is the most exceptional and difficult case I have encountered in my career,” said Williams, who was just hired as chief on Tuesday. “We must establish new reforms for policing here at home and throughout this country.”

The officers’ vile discussions came to light purely by chance. On June 4, a sergeant was conducting routine video reviews when she found a nearly two-hour long clip from Piner’s cruiser created by an “accidental activation,” according to a department report. After listening to the racist discussion, she alerted a superior who started an internal investigation.

Piner, a Wilmington police officer since 1998, began the recording by expressing his fury about the ongoing protests against police brutality and racial injustice in the wake of George Floyd’s death. Speaking to Gilmore, who had apparently pulled his cruiser up alongside Piner’s car, he complained that local police only cared about “kneeling down with the black folks.”

Gilmore, hired by the department in 1997, said that whites were now “worshiping blacks,” adding he’d seen a video of a “fine looking white girl and this little punk pretty boy bowing down and kissing their toes.”

The two then complained about black officers on the force, calling one a “piece of s---” and complaining that another was “sitting on his a--” during the protests. “Let’s see how his boys take care of him when s--- gets rough, see if they don’t put a bullet in his head,” Piner said.

Piner soon left to check out an alarm, investigators found. Later, Moore, who also was hired in 1997, called him to describe a recent arrest of a black woman, repeatedly calling her a racial slur.

“She needed a bullet in the head right then and move on,” Moore said of the woman. “Let’s move the body out of the way and keep going.”

Later, while complaining about a black judge whom Moore called a “f
    negro magistrate,” Moore added, “It’s bad man because not all black people are like that.”

“Most of 'em,” Piner responded.

“90 percent of 'em, Kevin, 90 f
    percent of 'em,” Moore said.

Soon, Piner turned the conversation to his belief that a civil war was imminent and his intention to buy high-powered weaponry. After saying he was ready to “slaughter” black people, he added, “God I can’t wait."

“You’re crazy,” Moore responded, before the recording shut off.

On June 9, Internal Affairs investigators confronted the men with the recording. They admitted to having the conversations, but the officers each characterized it as “venting” and blamed the “stress of today’s climate in law enforcement,” investigators wrote.

Moore and Gilmore argued they were “not racist,” with Moore adding he “doesn’t normally speak like that but was feeding off Officer Piner,” according to the investigators. Piner, meanwhile, said the tape was “embarrassing” and suggested concerns for his family’s safety had led him to a “breaking point.”

Williams, the chief, said he would ensure none of the men could be rehired by the city and would ask state officials to review their law enforcement certifications. He said he would consult with prosecutors about potential criminal charges against the three men, and would ask them to review whether any of the former officers had shown bias toward criminal defendants in the past.

“There are certain behaviors that one must have in order to be a police officer, and these three officers have demonstrated that they do not possess it,” Williams said. “When I first learned of these conversations, I was shocked, saddened and disgusted. There is no place for this behavior in our agency or our city, and it will not be tolerated.”

As I said, they were only recorded by chance and odds are there are many, many more in the institution that feel this way and act this way.
    Nobody saying the police are perfect either.

Didn't say they were. Just stating facts about the police.
    Eitherway sounds like you have decided to hang, draw and quarter the majority of police on your personal suppositions / social media etc

Stop trying to infer things about me that are wrong. Its ad hominem and I am not the topic.

It's an ideology, despite some organization having the name. Not really trying to equivocate that to the police institution are you?

Tbh this time not going to engage in any such long winded replies (as in the previous 'dodgey' recordings episode which simply became somewhat tedious tbh) .

As to your question above. To paraphrase - You previously asked as to 'Who has conflated a few police with entire police forces'? Blm was the answer given - with no caveats

But yes blm is very much a physical organisation, ideology or no.

Your transcription only goes to indicate that there are indeed some bad apples No one has denied that. Attempting to argue from the particular to the general that there's loads of bad cops based on that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. viz "there are surely more among the million"

It was another police officer who blew the whistle on thst btw. They were sacked by the chief of police who stated "There is no place for this behavior in our agency or our city, and it will not be tolerated" And the point from that is that the police are certainly not perfect and can do better. The rest stands with the conclusion drawn from your own comment.

Blm needs to take a good look at itself before preaching to others on the topics of racism and violence for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A few teams in English football have stopped bending the knee. Sky Sports News/Comcast were losing their **** over it. One of the clubs were QPR. A club that named their stadium after a young black kid that was stabbed and have a black director of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Worthless scum smashing up someone's car because they know they'll never be able to afford one like it themselves.

A few teams in English football have stopped bending the knee. Sky Sports News/Comcast were losing their **** over it. One of the clubs were QPR. A club that named their stadium after a young black kid that was stabbed and have a black director of football.

Ridiculous, yet hardly surprising.

The premier league has it's own anti-racism campaign, 'No Room for Racism'. As they say themselves "Discrimination in any form, anywhere, is wholly unacceptable and No Room for Racism makes our zero-tolerance stance clear."

https://news.sky.com/story/premier-league-drops-black-lives-matter-slogan-from-players-shirts-12068430

Football has been doing a decent job over the last few years to combat racism (life bans, police investigations and arrests, empty-stadium matches as punishment, financial penalties, and so on). As yet I don't think they burned down or looted any business or assaulted anyone. I support this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If only you had a tenth of the outrage over police treating black people in unacceptable ways as you do when there is a dog involved.

Strange comment to profess a desire to use such violence while being against people protesting unacceptable police behaviour.

• Advertisement

If only you had a tenth of the outrage over police treating black people in unacceptable ways as you do when there is a dog involved.

Strange comment to profess a desire to use such violence while being against people protesting unacceptable police behaviour.

I'd guarantee he'd absolutely be outraged at police treating anyone in unacceptable ways. For you to suggest otherwise is out of order and without justification.

And your second statement is completely wrong. He's not against people protesting. He's against violence. This is obvious.

Advertisement