Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »
    All I know is I’m glad that Sligo Rovers and Finn Harps took the knee last week because the North West of Ireland is clearly a hot bed of racism.

Oh and Cobh Ramblers too, thank god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Oh and Cobh Ramblers too, thank god.

I’ve an aunt in Cobh. Who knew what a racially stoked town it was??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’ve an aunt in Cobh. Who knew what a racially stoked town it was??!!

The ba5tard hill in Cobh is racist to fat people. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The ba5tard hill in Cobh is racist to fat people. :D

Oh it is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

All I know is I’m glad that Sligo Rovers and Finn Harps took the knee last week because the North West of Ireland is clearly a hot bed of racism.

https://twitter.com/adejokxe/status/1293609704434925574

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Thats Galway, not the north-west, its very different there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

This whole BLM narrative is that Black people are the only people who do not have agency over their own lives which I would deeply offended by if i was a black person.

It pre-supposes certain characteristics/opinions based on the colour of a persons skin which is a little bit, oh whats the word?.....

John Doe1 wrote: »
    This whole BLM narrative is that Black people are the only people who do not have agency over their own lives which I would deeply offended by if i was a black person.

It pre-supposes certain characteristics/opinions based on the colour of a persons skin which is a little bit, oh whats the word?.....

Link to this narrative please.

Sligo
    Stark reality of everyday racism revealed in Sligo service reports
    Victims urged to break silence and speak out on racist incidents
    A Dublin-born third-level student answers a room-for- rent ad and is told on the phone that the room is still available and she should come and see it. When the landlady answers the door she insists that there is no room and that there had been no phone call. The student hits the redial button and the phone in the landlady’s hand rings.

The student with the pronounced Dublin accent is black. So is the medic in need of a pair of running shoes. The mother standing in the rain with her crying baby is from a minority ethnic group.

Although, going by the benchmark on this thread, if they didn't use the N word, then it wasn't really racism, was it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/JamesSavundra/status/1308013165125554178?s=19

Sky have been put into their box over criticising QPR for not bending the knee. The beautiful thing about is that Sky Sports News have to read out the quotes whilst wearing their fancy BLM Pin Badges :pac:

EDIT: I just watched SSN and they actually left out the part about hashtags and pin badges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cool to stereotype the whole North West as racist based on that incident? There's always going to be racists out there. It shouldn't be acceptable to say all white people are racist (like some are doing). If it is, and we're going to stereotype a whole race based on a minority, then well, we're going to have some fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Saw a clip of a black lady who owned a store admonishing the scumbags wrecking her business. Saying it’s not me you should be destroying. Does that insinuate it’s ok to wreck the businesses of non-black people?

Why are you making it a binary on race of business owners?
    If the issue protestors are having is with police malfeasance, and if it is concluded that non-violent protest has not worked would not the correct target of violence be police and government assets? Burn parked patrol cars, smash police station windows, as opposed to businesses trying to get by?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

https://twitter.com/JamesSavundra/status/1308013165125554178?s=19

Sky have been put into their box over criticising QPR for not bending the knee. The beautiful thing about is that Sky Sports News have to read out the quotes whilst wearing their fancy BLM Pin Badges :pac:

EDIT: I just watched SSN and they actually left out the part about hashtags and pin badges

Binned my Sky Sports package because the amount of virtue signalling went through the roof recently. Now pay 9.99 a month for the same as i had before with a box and a dish. Thanks BLM :D

Watch the same people tie themselves up in knots when it’s revealed that’s a Traveller abusing the girl.

Watch the same people tie themselves up in knots when it’s revealed that’s a Traveller abusing the girl.

All I'm seeing is 'the same people' bursting a gut to try to suggest there isn't racism in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

All I'm seeing is 'the same people' bursting a gut to try to suggest there isn't racism in Ireland.

nj27 wrote: »

See below.
    titan18 wrote: »
    Cool to stereotype the whole North West as racist based on that incident? There's always going to be racists out there. It shouldn't be acceptable to say all white people are racist (like some are doing). If it is, and we're going to stereotype a whole race based on a minority, then well, we're going to have some fun.

titan18 wrote: »

Did you miss post 6190?

Who is saying all white people are racist?

See below.

Preferably examples that don’t include a phrase which directly contradicts your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Cordell

There isn't. There is no level of racism in Ireland that justifies the existence of NGOs and action plans to fight it. But there are scumbags, like the one in the video, but they are not the racism in Ireland. They are scumbags.

• Advertisement

nj27 wrote: »
    Preferably examples that don’t include a phrase which directly contradicts your statement.

You read the posts any way you wish, I don't care.

Cordell wrote: »
    There isn't. There is no level of racism in Ireland that justifies the existence of NGOs and action plans to fight it. But there are scumbags, like the one in the video, but they are not the racism in Ireland. They are scumbags.

So the examples given from the Times article I posted, or the examples from people on the Late Late last Friday aren't racism?

Or the overt racist tweets to prominent footballers in the UK didn't originate in Ireland?

You read the posts any way you wish, I don't care.

It’s pretty straight forward. Your first example referenced a specific location within Ireland and how that it is different in that regard, the second outright states that there will always be racism. Maybe you can help me understand where I am misreading you?

So the examples given from the Times article I posted, or the examples from people on the Late Late last Friday aren't racism?

Or the overt racist tweets to prominent footballers in the UK didn't originate in Ireland?

Racist dickheads exist in Ireland. Systematic racism generally doesn’t, unless I’m missing something .

Racist dickheads exist in Ireland. Systematic racism generally doesn’t, unless I’m missing something .

So lets ensure it doesn't grow from one, to the other.
    Acknowledge it, call it out, prosecute those partaking in it.

So lets ensure it doesn't grow from one, to the other.
    Acknowledge it, call it out, prosecute those partaking in it.

I’m glad you’re admitting it doesn’t exist systematically anyway. That’s a good starting point. And if any of my mates racially abused anyone like that scummy prick in that video, they would’nt be my mate afterwards.

I’m glad you’re admitting it doesn’t exist systematically anyway. That’s a good starting point. And if any of my mates racially abused anyone like that scummy prick in that video, they would’nt be my mate afterwards.

Systematically is a key word. That implies it is ingrained in an institution which I don't believe is the case in Ireland, thankfully.

But it is also worth mentioning that to someone suffering from racism, it doesn't really matter if the indoctrination towards those views came from within the organisation or elsewhere.

It needs to be stopped. Saw someone say that there shouldn't have been 2 people on the Late Late talking about the racism they experienced, it should just have been one. I suspect if it was only one person, the narrative would have been that it was only a single case and wasn't that wide spread a problem.

Racism will never fully stop. Neither will homophobia. Or slagging fat people or gingers or whatever else. What is changing, and has changed, is the widespread acceptance of these things. Try using a homophobic slur in a white-collar office environment. Try using an ethnic slur. You'll be pulled up on it more often than not. I'm glad this is the case.

What bothers me in some respect is the off-the-cuff nature of these remarks. ''What, am I black or something?'' if excluded... as if black people should be! Calling anyone from the Indian subcontinent a Paki. The ignorance of that says more. Calling a Traveller a knacker as if that's just what the name is. These things aren't right but do you know what, I hear it a lot less these days than I did even 15 years ago.

I suspect if it was only one person, the narrative would have been that it was only a single case and wasn't that wide spread a problem.

How long did it take to compile such an exhaustive sample size? I almost pulled a hamstring jumping to congratulate the late late show for their efforts to construct a far reaching study to accurately represent the zeitgeist of modern Irish society to broadcast to their tax paying audience. It would be terrible for a national broadcaster to pull up a tiny set of politically motivated individuals to press an agenda, but they got two so we’re safe from that kind of bias, thanks be to jaysus.

• Advertisement

Racism will never fully stop. Neither will homophobia. Or slagging fat people or gingers or whatever else. What is changing, and has changed, is the widespread acceptance of these things. Try using a homophobic slur in a white-collar office environment. Try using an ethnic slur. You'll be pulled up on it more often than not. I'm glad this is the case.

What bothers me in some respect is the off-the-cuff nature of these remarks. ''What, am I black or something?'' if excluded... as if black people should be! Calling anyone from the Indian subcontinent a Paki. The ignorance of that says more. Calling a Traveller a knacker as if that's just what the name is. These things aren't right but do you know what, I hear it a lot less these days than I did even 15 years ago.

Agreed. And largely because of the public discourse around them being unacceptable.

Advertisement