Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

20Cent wrote: »
    Degenerate is another dehumanising term they use a lot.
    One regime used that a lot in the past as well.

Oh look, we’re “literally” re-enacting kristalnacht with words like “illegal” and “degenerate”.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Biafranlivemat, stay out of this thread please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Engage protection shield

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Oh look, we’re “literally” re-enacting kristalnacht with words like “illegal” and “degenerate”.

Dehumanizing people was how it started. The term degenerate was used a lot by the Nazi's, the alt right use it a lot as well. Categorizing human beings made the holocaust and the genocide in Rwanda possible. Whether one realizes it or not using that and other slurs is mimicking and normalising Nazi terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Dehumanizing people was how it started. The term degenerate was used a lot by the Nazi's, the alt right use it a lot as well. Categorizing human beings made the holocaust and the genocide in Rwanda possible. Whether one realizes it or not using that and other slurs is mimicking and normalising Nazi terminology.

Jaysus Christmas, is there anything that cant be spun in this way ? Honest question. Nazis under the bed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Jaysus Christmas, is there anything that cant be spun in this way ? Honest question. Nazis under the bed :rolleyes:

Is there something incorrect in the comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jaysus Christmas, is there anything that cant be spun in this way ? Honest question.

Honest answer: don't dehumanize people, it's simple and easy to avoid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Overheal wrote: »

How does the use of a common analogy dating back centuries equate to Schindler’s list ????

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Is there something incorrect in the comment?

Lie down with dogs, you get fleas is a saying it doesn't make you a Nazi. It's simple and easy.

Lie down with dogs, you get fleas is a saying it doesn't make you a Nazi. It's simple and easy.

Saying "lie down with dogs, get fleas" is being compared to actual Nazism.

Jesus lads. Totally jumped the shark now (for clarity, no offense intended towards sharks or jumpers)

Ludicrous.

• Advertisement

Nobody was saying that it did.

Points made:

1) Dehumanizing people is a bad idea
    2) Dehumanizing people was something the Nazis did to terrible effect
    3) Dehumanizing people played a pivotal role in the background for the Rwandan Genocide
    4) Don't dehumanize people

Nobody was saying that it did.

Points made:

1) Dehumanizing people is a bad idea
    2) Dehumanizing people was something the Nazis did to terrible effect
    3) Dehumanizing people played a pivotal role in the background for the Rwandan Genocide
    4) Don't dehumanize people

Misrepresentation of individuals and inferring they are racist or Nazis is quite dehumanising too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Lie down with dogs and don't be shocked if you get fleas.....
    Yeah just off looking for trouble, asleep, in her home, in the middle of the night. ...
    my perspective is not to lye down with dogs in the first place.
    Yes, dehumanization of people, I got that.
    Gervais08 wrote: »
    Nobody was saying that it did. ....

Yes they did.

Misrepresentation of individuals and inferring they are racist or Nazis is quite dehumanising too.

Nobody was inferred as a Nazi.

As for being misrepresented man, that never stopped anyone from misrepresenting me on this thread. :rolleyes:

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Yes they did.

Not seeing where anyone was called a Nazi, or even inferred as one. If you disagree report the post I guess.

Nobody was inferred as a Nazi.

As for being misrepresented man, that never stopped anyone from misrepresenting me on this thread. :rolleyes:

Yes they were.

As evidenced above.

While not explicitly called a nazi, it would take mammoth willful ignorance to ignore the connotations.

And just because you feel you were misrepresented, that doesn't make misrepresenting others ok.

Yes they were.

As evidenced above.

While not explicitly called a nazi, it would take mammoth willful ignorance to ignore the connotations.

And just because you feel you were misrepresented, that doesn't make misrepresenting others ok.

Nope. Nobody was inferred as a Nazi.

Why did you decide it was inferring you were a Nazi and not a Rwandan Genocide perpetrator, if that were the case? The only point I see made here is not to normalize dehumanizing language.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Something tells me that though you could be referring to the Soviet Union, you are probably not.

Nope. Nobody was inferred as a Nazi.

Why did you decide it was inferring you were a Nazi and not a Rwandan Genocide perpetrator, if that were the case? The only point I see made here is not to normalize dehumanizing language.

Yes they were. We could do this merry dance all day so I won't keep pointing out the blindingly obvious.

Nobody made an inference towards me (at this particular time at least) and I would imagine the reason that Nazi was pointed out instead of Rwandan genocide perpetrator is because it is the raison d'etre of certain posters on boards to refer to those they disagree with ideologically as nazis. It's remarkable how common it is to bandy about such accusations.

You only have to look at the proud boys being referred to as white supremacists as an example of mislabeling and dilution of once powerful and meaningful accusations.

So do we all agree dehumanizing language is bad? I think we all agree and I would hope to see less use of such language going forward.

• Advertisement

So do we all agree dehumanizing language is bad? I think we all agree and I would hope to see less use of such language going forward.

As with everything, it all depends on the definition of dehumanising and the way in which statements are labelled as such.

The example of "if you lie with dogs, you will get up with fleas" as something that is dehumanising is beyond parody at this stage and an absolutely astounding attempt to obfuscate and misrepresent.

Something tells me that though you could be referring to the Soviet Union, you are probably not.

Yes Stalinism and Pol Pot, pretty much every pogrom or genocide starts with dehumanising individuals.

Not calling anyone here a Nazi just saying that we should all strive not to dehumanise others because as history has shown it leads to terrible things.

Didn't think that would be controversial!

As with everything, it all depends on the definition of dehumanising and the way in which statements are labelled as such.

The example of "if you lie with dogs, you will get up with fleas" as something that is dehumanising is beyond parody at this stage and an absolutely astounding attempt to obfuscate and misrepresent.

Speaking of obfuscation and misrepresentation: you, glossing over "scumbag illegal Aliens"

The quote was also deliberately left out of WrenBoys rendition of this conversation I see.

Yes Stalinism and Pol Pot, pretty much every pogrom or genocide starts with dehumanising individuals.

Not calling anyone here a Nazi just saying that we should all strive not to dehumanise others because as history has shown it leads to terrible things.

Didn't think that would be controversial!

However, you said 'One regime...'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114975976&postcount=7110

Don't pretend now that you were referring to anything other than the one regime that people always refer to in these matters. Certainly, others who responded to you thought so.

Like I said, I didn't think you would be referring to the Soviet Union. Who have a lot more in common with the Nazis and Rwanda than the alt right do.

So yeah, 'we should all strive not to dehumanise others' as you say, but yet you did it.

Sure, I suppose you have your priorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

I find this thread to be pïss poor. One poster is dominating the discussion by telling everyone else that they are wrong. Multiple posters have been reprimanded by replying to this poster while they themselves are given free reign to continue pollute the thread.

It's a dumping ground.

However, you said 'One regime...'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114975976&postcount=7110

Don't pretend now that you were referring to anything other than the one regime that people always refer to in these matters. Certainly, others who responded to you thought so.

Like I said, I didn't think you would be referring to the Soviet Union. Who have a lot more in common with the Nazis and Rwanda than the alt right do.

So yeah, 'we should all strive not to dehumanise others' as you say, but yet you did it.

Sure, I suppose you have your priorities.

Yes I was referring to the Nazi regime which did use degenerate a lot as a slur against Jews, homosexuals and others. Didn't think it was necessary to condemn every act of genocide ever in the post to make the point. Stalin and Pol pot were monsters as well.

Deshawn wrote: »
    It's a dumping ground.

And not for any of the reasons you think.

Yes I was referring to the Nazi regime which did use degenerate a lot as a slur against Jews, homosexuals and others. Didn't think it was necessary to condemn every act of genocide ever in the post to make the point. Stalin and Pol pot were monsters as well.

It wasn't necessary to specify at all, to make the point. Yet you did so.

Apart from the Godwin's Law, it's such a fatuous connection to make between the alt right and the Nazis. Come on.

And by the by, guess what word Stalin used to describe Harry Whyte ? Starts with a D.

Apart from the Godwin's Law, it's such a fatuous connection to make between the alt right and the Nazis. Come on.

And by the by, guess what word Stalin used to describe Harry Whyte ? Starts with a D.

The alt right use the term a lot as did the Nazis.
    Just pointing out this fact, also it is best for all of us not to dehumanise others. Simple point. I'm sure Stalin, Pol Pot etc may have said it as well.

• Advertisement

Let's boil it down:

Should we be dehumanizing people? Y/N

Advertisement