Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

Overheal wrote: »
    Speaking of obfuscation and misrepresentation: you, glossing over "scumbag illegal Aliens"

The quote was also deliberately left out of WrenBoys rendition of this conversation I see.

I didn't gloss over anything. I referred to specifically what I was talking about.

Drug dealing illegal immigrants would be fair game to call scumbags though. I'm surprised you'd feel different.

Let's boil it down:

Should we be dehumanizing people? Y/N

A simple yes or no? I'd say yes.

Because some people deserve to be referred to as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Great so we should be dehumanizing people, according to some people on this thread. Brilliant.
    Drug dealing illegal immigrants would be fair game to call scumbags though

Drug dealing was never referenced, just "scumbag illegal aliens"

Is a DACA migrant a scumbag? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

20Cent wrote: »
    The alt right use the term a lot as did the Nazis.
    Just pointing out this fact, also it is best for all of us not to dehumanise others. Simple point. I'm sure Stalin, Pol Pot etc may have said it as well.

Let's boil it down:

Should you be dehumanising the alt right(ie others) by drawing inane comparisons with genocidal regimes ?

Y/N ?

If Yes, then your admonition that 'it is best for all of us not to dehumanise others' isn't worth much.

If No, then perhaps you shouldn't keep doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

And not for any of the reasons you think.

No EXACTLY because of you and your denial. I’m tired of reporting you and I expect to be reprimanded now.

• Advertisement

Great so we should be dehumanizing people, according to some people on this thread. Brilliant.

Drug dealing was never referenced, just "scumbag illegal aliens"

Is a DACA migrant a scumbag? Why?
    A DACA migrant CAN be a scumbag. The poster wasn't calling all migrants a scumbag, just the ones they had anecdotal evidence of.

And yes, some people are absolutely open to dehumanising language. Do you disagree?

Let's boil it down:

Should you be dehumanising the alt right(ie others) by drawing inane comparisons with genocidal regimes ?

Who mentioned the alt right?

:confused:

Is this projection?

I don't know how many times it has to be said: all that was argued was that dehumanization is bad, that dehumanization plays a pivotal role in the worst impulses of humanity, like genocide, and leads to terrible things. Blacks regarded as monkeys, for instance, were used as test subjects for human experimentation.

This whole line of indignation is truly bizarre. It's as though someone said "don't point that gun at someone it's dangerous" and you are replying "How dare you slander me as being a murderer." It makes no sense, it's irrational.

Saint George Floyd was a scumbag. The other lad shot in the back IS a scumbag.

Agree? Y/n

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Let's boil it down:

Y/N ?

If Yes, then your admonition that 'it is best for all of us not to dehumanise others' isn't worth much.

If No, then perhaps you shouldn't keep doing it.

So offended at a valid comparison between alt right and Nazis.
    Imagine being discriminated against because of your race, sexuality or something else you have no control over.

A DACA migrant CAN be a scumbag. The poster wasn't calling all migrants a scumbag, just the ones they had anecdotal evidence of.

The only thing mentioned that made the persons "scumbags" was that they were illegal immigrants. Is being an illegal immigrant the hallmark of scumbaggery?

• Advertisement

Agree? Y/n

No they are persons. George Floyd is George Floyd. Jacob Blake is Jacob Blake. Donald Trump is Donald Trump.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    No EXACTLY because of you and your denial. I’m tired of reporting you and I expect to be reprimanded now.

Well there seems to be the problem: attacking the poster instead of the post. I expect this would have been obvious, but attacking the poster is against the rules and that's what we've seen forum moderators take actions against.

What am I denying that is so frustrating? There's lot's of denials on this thread, and strong disagreement, eg. many arguments denying that there is systemic racism in the US especially as it pertains to policing (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary).

The only thing mentioned that made the persons "scumbags" was that they were illegal immigrants. Is being an illegal immigrant the hallmark of scumbaggery?

Yeah call me old fashioned but I tend to have a very small Venn diagram intersection between lawbreakers and scumbags.

Who mentioned the alt right?

Why, the person I am speaking to, of course. Which was not you.
    The term degenerate was used a lot by the Nazi's, the alt right use it a lot as well.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114979474&postcount=7115

You're too busy firefighting all over the thread. Concentrate on quality rather than quantity.
    Is this projection?

:rolleyes:
    I don't know how many times it has to be said: all that was argued was that dehumanization is bad,

Well, that is incorrect, as you now know.

I'm not sure why you feel you have the ability to argue other people's point of view on their behalf.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Yeah call me old fashioned but I tend to have a very small Venn diagram intersection between lawbreakers and scumbags.

Scumbag is a useless descriptor, applied to vaguely to whatever one fancies. Eg. In another thread, Hunter Biden is a "scumbag" not for breaking the law, but for having a consensual relationship with his brother's widow. In some other threads people have been called scumbags for being trans, for telling a lie, etc. so I don't know why, if you were looking to use an objectifying label on someone who breaks the law why you wouldn't just use the term "criminal" or "suspect" instead of "scumbag," the first 2 are quite contextual, "scumbag" tells you nothing.

Bye all - this could have been a thread that had such an impact but is derailed by the local BLM chapter.

^ Okay?
    Why, the person I am speaking to, of course. Which was not you.

I'm not sure why you feel you have the ability to argue other people's point of view on their behalf.

It's a public thread and I've myself seen plenty of people step in for others that I was engaged with, so let's not go pretending that it's not at all common for people on a forum to crosstalk. Really splitting some hairs here lads if public forum activity is taboo now.

So offended at a valid comparison between alt right and Nazis.

Ah, so you're a dehumaniser then.

You need to work more on the 'it is best for all of us not to dehumanise others' angle.

Still, it's a really superficial comparison. All emotion.

Ah, so you're a dehumaniser then.

You need to work more on the 'it is best for all of us not to dehumanise others' angle.

Still, it's a really superficial comparison. All emotion.[/QUOTE

And they call the left snowflakes.
    Pointing out a truth is not dehumanising.
    Even said most say it without realising the connection.

^ Okay?

It's a public thread and I've myself seen plenty of people step in for others that I was engaged with, so let's not go pretending that it's not at all common for people on a forum to crosstalk. Really splitting some hairs here lads if public forum activity is taboo now.

More obfuscation.

I didn't argue that people can't/shouldn't step in for others. I just observed that I'm not certain that you are the best person to do it.

That's simply because you compounded the error of your loaded question 'Who mentioned the alt right ?', with your over-clever aside about 'projection'.

But there's nothing wrong per se with anyone joining in the conversation, and I didn't say otherwise.

But it does require performing the basic courtesy of knowing what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

And they call the left snowflakes.
    Pointing out a truth is not dehumanising.
    Even said most say it without realising the connection.

What you are so satisfied to call a 'truth', is really just a superficial comparison when we consider the historical record.

What you are so satisfied to call a 'truth', is really just a superficial comparison when we consider the historical record.

You see a lot of fascist symbolism with the alt right.
    Either they are doing it to shock or whatever it is disturbing. Personally I don't make a distinction between actual fascist and this those who are larping. Best not take the chance.

Yes there are hammer and sickles at BLM or antifa events.
    But the president of the US, openly called for states to be "liberated", armed militia have been caught planning to kidnap a governor. He has implied he won't accept a peaceful transition of power and has told groups to stand by.

So excuse me.if that is of more concern than a handful of protesters calling for communism when the chances of the former are starkly realistic the latter non existent.

Agree? Y/n

So basically you're dehumanising in an effort to legitimise killing him. That's pretty horrendous.

So basically you're dehumanising in an effort to legitimise killing him. That's pretty horrendous.

Thread in a nutshell: "so what if their rights were violated bc they were scumbags"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

^ Okay?

Indeed. Remember this?
    You’re the third wheel in this conversation you don’t need to tell me what it was from.

Glad we've made some progress here at least.
    Most of the time it's like running around in circles tbf.

gozunda wrote: »
    Indeed. Remember this?

Glad we've made some progress here at least.
    Most of the time it's like running around in circles tbf.

Much different example: you were re-explaining the conversation back to me like I wasn't one of the 2 people you quoted. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114961411&postcount=7047

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Much different example: you were re-explaining the conversation back to me like I wasn't one of the 2 people you quoted. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114961411&postcount=7047

Nope. The same - only you veered off hair splitting. Hence the quotes. Not going over it again. But no matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This is disgusting. Only subhumans would do this. https://twitter.com/CassandraRules/status/1318321368975409154

Only subhumans would do this.

How would you know? What is a subhuman?

I strongly recommend staying off such junk 'news' sites though, Conspiracy Theory outlet that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

This is disgusting. Only subhumans would do this. https://twitter.com/CassandraRules/status/1318321368975409154

These are the types of people Biden kneels for... BLM bull****!!

Advertisement