Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Whatever about black people being equally racist...and I have witnessed incidents of casual racism towards whites in other countries...there does seem to be a lack of self awareness of this within certain black communities themselves..particularly within the echo chambers that BLM and many fanboys populate. The ever tiresome, casual ,even insulting guff about white privilege makes it self evident.
    This has bred the type of victim entitled propaganda that motivated huge crowds to congregate during a public health crisis.
    Ironically it's the same narrative pushed by that degenerate Trump as he tries to woo crowds to his rallies. Strange times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

That certainly seems to be the opinion of a number of people who already have it, and more.

So you support BLM but know nothing about their manifesto. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mr. Karate wrote: »

And the BLM movement is all beholden to this manifesto? When was it published vs when Black Lives Matter emerged as a movement? How many people do you think have actually seen this manifesto? I have not read one. Do you have a copy? I mean the communist manifesto is 68 pages or something like that, how long is this supposed manifesto? Do you think it’s hypocritical to believe that black lives matter before you’ve read a manifesto about it? I hardly see how.

You say a lot of things you don’t bother to back up so why should we care?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As I posted before, Is this the manifesto you are referring to?
    That post doesn't refer to any link. Here is what it says.

I'm not saying this is the BLM Manifesto, but the site implies it is.

Black Lives Matter (BLM), the activist group that campaigns against police brutality and racial injustice, have just come out with their plan to help fix the issues that plague police forces up and down the country.

Their plan – “Campaign Zero?? – focuses on 10 points where they would like the law to change. They believe that these changes will help stop racial profiling and lessen the dangers everyday citizens face when dealing with the police.

To get an idea of what they are asking for we thought we’d provide a breakdown of their plan:
    1. End “broken windows” policing, which aggressively polices minor crimes in an attempt to stop larger ones.
    a. “Broken windows?? policing is the idea that vigorously enforcing small crimes (like vandalism) will prevent larger crimes from happening. This law has allowed police to increase “stop and frisks??, which BLM claims enables racial stereotyping. They argue that Black men and women are unfairly targeted by police using this law as an excuse, and that this policy ultimately led to the death of Eric Garner (remember the guy that was choked to death after he was caught selling loose cigarettes). This is their first point in their plan, and probably the most controversial.

2. Use community oversight for misconduct rather than having the police department decide what consequences officers should face.
    a. Rather than the police deciding how an officer is punished after they’ve committed a crime (like when an officer who caused a death is ‘punished’ by being put on paid leave for six months), they want an independent group to review all cases and dole out the punishments. Since, you know, the police department might be a tad on biased.

3. Make standards for reporting police use of deadly force.
    a. A lot of reports of police using deadly force aren’t released to the public. This skews the statistics when it comes down to who died by police hands and it leaves the public in the dark about how the police operate. BLM want to standardize the reporting methods and make the whole process more transparent.

4. Independently investigate and prosecute police misconduct.
    a. Much like point two, BLM doesn’t want the police investigating crimes committed by the police since it’s proven to be a recipe for trouble. Instead, they want an independently run government body to investigate whether or not an officer has violated the law. The short version: if a cop shoots someone, someone other than the cops should look into the case to see if that shooting was lawful.

5. Have the racial makeup of police departments reflect the communities they serve.
    a. This one is simple enough to ask for, harder to carry out in practice. BLM want the police force to be racially representative of the areas they protect. If a community is 50% Black, 30% Hispanic, and 20% White, they want to see a police force that reflects those demographics. Hypothetically, for every two White officers they’d hire, they’d also hire five Black officers and three Hispanic officers.

6. Require officers to wear body cameras.
    a. This policy has already been implemented in several different police forces across the country – and with great success in some cases. However, the debate starts when it comes down to when and why an officer can turn the camera off. For example, you wouldn’t want people watching you when you went for a piss, would you?

7. Provide more training for police officers.
    a. More training is never a bad thing. Many supporters of BLM believe that a lot of the issues between police officers and citizens have been instigated by rookie cops that are a little too eager to prove themselves in the field, and they feel a little extra training could help that out.

8. End for-profit policing practices.
    a. This is a biggie. As of now, the police can legally take any money or property that they “believe?? is in some way linked to a crime, and they can use that money and property as they see fit, even if you’re never convicted of that crime. It’s called Civil Forfeiture and the police in many areas have used this “right?? to fund their own agencies and precincts. This is a major issue, and many people from different walks of life see it as legalized robbery. For more information check out John Oliver’s take on it, as he explains it far more eloquently than I ever could.

9. End the police use of military equipment.
    a. BLM argues that the police should be working with the community to provide peaceful resolutions to society’s issues and that the use of military equipment shows an intent to abuse their power over citizens. It drives home the Us vs Them mentality. Big guns and body armour = scared citizens. Open dialogue and transparency = happy citizens.

10. Implement police union contracts that hold officers accountable for misconduct.
    a. So, police unions have a history of protecting police (shocking, I know). Police officers accused of misconduct are no exception, but other members are often discouraged by their unions to speak out against those accused. This can delay convictions and stop valuable information or evidence from coming to light which prevents real justice. While the police need unions to protect their rights, BLM argue that the unions should play their part in weeding out the bad apples. If not, the abuse of power will continue because the bad officers know they can get away with it.

Or why don't you show us a link that supports your view that BLM was never about equality.

Interest piece: this 17 year old, Trayvon Thomas Brown [see next post], organized a rally in his hometown last month for black lives matter, that evening a cross was burned on his family’s lawn.

At a second rally, hundreds of counter protestors showed up, dozens of bikers blaring their engines, waving confederate flags, yelling at him and his rally goers to “go back to Africa” etc.

When they first moved in years ago an anonymous neighbor left a noose on their porch. Marion VA is a historic site of slave auctions and lynchings.

Authorities later arrested their neighbor, James Brown, for the cross burning. Brown was the first on the scene that night to see ‘if the family was okay,’ whose kids would normally go over and play at the victims house. The victims had been friends of the Browns, helping them find the house to rent across the street from them. The betrayal and the hidden agenda is shocking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-teen-led-a-black-lives-matter-protest-in-his-small-town-a-cross-was-burned-in-his-yard/2020/07/15/6ea6e3d2-c1ef-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html
    Brown’s arrest did nothing to stem the abuse against Travon and his family. Counterprotesters falsely claimed his mother was a drug dealer. Ray’Kia was confronted by a stranger in the grocery store, who asked the 16-year-old if she was Travon’s sister and then pulled up his shirt to reveal a handgun. And on Facebook, people accused Travon of being a “terrorist” for calling in a hoax bomb threat to his high school when he was 15.

“It was a dumb decision,” he wrote online. “I’m just glad I got to keep attending school.”

He’d spent almost half his life in Marion. Now townspeople accused him online of being a “destructive outsider” and a “trouble maker.”

But as the day of the second protest drew nearer, the personal attacks gave way to something darker in Facebook groups with names like “Smyth County Militia” and “Virginia Patriots Group.”

“Shoot the bastards,” one Marion man wrote. “Sick of people trying to divide this country.”

“A man has to commit on this one,” wrote a local business owner. “I think it would be kill or be killed at some point.”

“A civil war is coming I can feel it,” another replied.

'Don't tell me that I'm racist'

The counterprotesters came from miles around to gather under the Confederate soldier, just as people had in 1903 when the statue was unveiled before an Independence Day crowd of 10,000.
    This time there were about 300, listening to AC/DC and bluegrass music as children played with water pistols and a man advertised the real thing from a Rascal scooter with a sign that said: “Guns 4 Sale: No background check.”

When the statue went up, Virginia had just enacted its Jim Crow constitution. Now Confederate monuments were coming down, and people were worried Marion’s was next.

“If they throw a rope around it, I’m gonna punch them in the nose,” said Jerry Sheets, 67, sitting on the edge of the courthouse lawn in a Trump hat.
    Confederate flags were everywhere: on shirts and hats, motorcycles and trucks. So were guns. There wasn’t a face mask to be seen, though a shirtless man walked Main Street with a python around his neck.

Two blocks away, Travon was handing out masks and water bottles at the farmers market as the Black Lives Matter crowd also swelled to around 300.

“Welcome to Racist, U.S.A.,” said a young white man, climbing out of a car wearing an unloaded pistol and a New Panther Initiative shirt.

Travon had helped found the anti-racism group during a week of protests in Johnson City, Tenn., in early June before organizing the first march in Marion. But today the teenager eschewed the New Panthers’ shirt for the tight blue jumpsuit he’d worn in the first protest.

A lot had changed since then. He’d quit his job at Hardee’s after managers complained about his protesting. And he’d lost friends, some of whom had blocked him on Facebook or messaged him to keep quiet.

But he’d found a sense of purpose — and a following. A fellow protester had sent him a megaphone in the mail, and now he held it as supporters gave him hugs and high-fives.

“As you can imagine, these past few weeks have been stressful,” Travon began nervously, seeming every bit the 17-year-old as he thanked people for checking on him and his family without ever mentioning the cross burning.

But he found his voice as soon as he stopped reading.

“This is our chance, young people,” he shouted. “Y’all complain about the laws? Go change those laws. You don’t have to destroy anything. You don’t have to tear down statues.”

Clair told Travon that officers were ready, and the teenager led the marchers out of the farmers market and into town, shouting “No Justice, No Peace.”

They hadn’t made it a block before counterprotesters began screaming at them. Young men Travon’s age waved Confederate flags on the sidewalk. As the march passed the Hardee’s, a line of counterprotesters stood in the parking lot, scowling and smoking.

After a mile, he guided the marchers off the highway — which was named after Robert E. Lee — and into the Rite Aid parking lot for a water break. But as Thomas wiped her son’s sweaty face with a towel, pickup trucks flying Confederate flags began pulling into the parking lot across the street.
    Protesters poured across the highway to confront them, and police scrambled to keep the two sides apart as half a dozen heated arguments erupted.

“Don’t tell me that I’m racist,” a 45-year-old white woman shouted.

“This is about the system that is racist,” shouted back a 25-year-old black protester.
    As the two sides edged closer and closer, Travon worried violence would break out.

“Let’s go,” the teenager said, taking the megaphone and urging the crowd up the hill. As Travon led a chant of “Black Lives Matter,” the counterprotesters shouted “All Lives Matter” after them.

The march passed through a valley of parking lots. On one side, 20 bikers revved their engines to drown out the protesters. On the other, dozens of counterprotesters shouted and jeered.
    Looking up, Travon recognized a few of his high school classmates.

At the end of the parking lot, a pickup revved its engine at protesters as a young white woman in cowboy boots shrilly shouted, “White Lives Matter.”
    “Keep it moving,” Travon yelled, putting himself between the two groups. “We didn’t come out here to argue. We came out here to raise awareness.’’
    There was food and water waiting for them at Walmart, but also more confrontation. As protesters sang “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” a man in a tie-dyed shirt told them to “go back to Africa.”

“Is you done?” Travon shouted into his megaphone. “Is you finished?”

The march back into Marion was quieter, but the reason became clear when they arrived downtown: Counterprotesters were waiting for them on the other side of a police barricade.

The protesters knelt silently in remembrance of George Floyd, whose May 25 death had sparked nationwide demonstrations, as their opponents screamed.

“We stand for law enforcement,” one shouted.
    “We stand for America,” said another.

When protesters began to talk back, Travon turned and shushed them. He knelt near the front, his right fist raised to the air.

“It’s great to see you praying,” someone taunted.
    After more than eight minutes — the amount of time a Minneapolis police officer knelt on Floyd’s neck — the protesters stood.

“Antifa sucks,” someone shouted from the other side of Main Street, where Travon could see several classmates and their parents.

“We ain’t antifa,” a protester answered.
    “Go home,” a counterprotester called out.
    “We are home,” came the reply.

“We came because y’all burned a cross in our brother’s yard,” said a New Panther. “A 17-year-old boy.”

And then Travon began shouting “I love you” across the divide, and soon all the protesters were shouting it and the faces opposite them were momentarily quiet and confused.

Back at the farmers market, the protesters pulled the teenager into the middle of a dance circle. A Smyth County sheriff’s officer shook his hand. So did Chief Clair, who said not a single person had been arrested.

“You did great,” Thomas told her son as she hugged him. “I’m proud of you.”

The sun was setting as he walked along Pearl Avenue, past his neighbor’s Confederate flags and up his driveway, where the scorch marks on the pavement were nearly gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Overheal wrote: »
    Interest piece: this 17 year old, Trayvon Thomas, organized a rally in his hometown last month for black lives matter, that evening a cross was burned on his family’s lawn.

At a second rally, hundreds of counter protestors showed up, dozens of bikers blaring their engines, waving confederate flags, yelling at him and his rally goers to “go back to Africa” etc.

When they first moved in years ago an anonymous neighbor left a noose on their porch. Marion VA is a historic site of slave auctions and lynchings.

Authorities later arrested their neighbor, James Brown, for the cross burning. Brown was the first on the scene that night to see ‘if the family was okay,’ whose kids would normally go over and play at the victims house. The victims had been friends of the Browns, helping them find the house to rent across the street from them. The betrayal and the hidden agenda is shocking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-teen-led-a-black-lives-matter-protest-in-his-small-town-a-cross-was-burned-in-his-yard/2020/07/15/6ea6e3d2-c1ef-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html
    I'm confused, the article says Travon Brown and mother Briggette Thomas. You say Trayvon Thomas.
    Is there some mixup?

Either way it's crazy the neighbour is the person to set a cross on fire on their lawn. I guess you really never know someone..

biko wrote: »
    I'm confused, the article says Travon Brown and mother Briggette Thomas. You say Trayvon Thomas.
    Is there some mixup?

Either way it's crazy the neighbour is the person to set a cross on fire on their lawn. I guess you really never know someone..

I might have confused the names hang on

Edit: mother is Bridgette Thomas (possibly remarried/divorced), so it’s Trayvon Brown and unrelated neighbor and cross burner James Brown.

Fair play to Trayvon though. No hate, calls against violence and vandalism, the chants of love stunning the counter crowd I think was the best bit, along with zero arrests. The best way to see protests in action, even with such hateful counter protesting going on, and the guns for sale without background check I found to be troubling.

I might have confused the names hang on

it’s Trayvon Brown

Fair play to Trayvon though.
    It's Travon, not Trayvon.
    You're thinking of Trayvon Martin, a different incident.

You've caught me bamboozled yet again.

No worries, just clarification is all.

• Advertisement

"First they came for the Jews Liberals and I said nothing laughed my hole off"

https://www.mediaite.com/online/holy-crap-this-is-funny-redstate-chief-editor-cheers-peaceful-protesters-getting-shot-in-head-pepper-sprayed-by-cops/
    The managing editor for the conservative website RedState — whose byline reads Streiff — delighted in reports of peaceful protesters being shot in the head and pepper-sprayed in the face by cops in Portland, Oregon.

Social media was abuzz with photos, videos, and news reports of unmarked and badgeless federal officers rounding up protesters in Portland Thursday night, but Mr. Streiff had a different reaction entirely to the actions of law enforcement during the unrest.

https://twitter.com/streiffredstate/status/1283879345338146816?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Proof positive that the worlds gone mad. A dog called “The N Word” who died in 1902 has had his headstone removed! Are we no longer allowed call our dogs Blackie, Whitey, Sootie, Snowie??? Bonkers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8488865/Memorial-dog-racist-died-1902-removed-graveyard.html
    The old dambusters film will never again see the light of day

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-53436447

A gravestone honouring the Dambusters' dog - whose name is a racial slur - has been replaced.

The 617 Squadron's mascot, a black Labrador, died on the day of its famous "bouncing bomb" raid on German dams in 1943.

A memorial at the Dambusters' World War Two base, RAF Scampton, bearing the dog's name was removed.

The RAF said it did not want to give prominence to an offensive term that went against its ethos.

Sir Edward Leigh, Conservative MP for Gainsborough, said he was "very fearful of our ability today to erase or re-write history".

Kris Hendrix, campaigns manager at the RAF Museum, said the dog - which the BBC is not naming - was a "drinking buddy" for squadron members and would consume litres of beer before passing out.

He was hit by a car and killed on 16 May 1943, but his death was kept from the airmen as it was feared they might see it as a bad omen.

Mr Hendrix added: "It was such a famous dog, it was such a famous squadron and that meant the grave has been kept until today.

"The standards have changed throughout the years, while it may not have been a controversial name during the Second World War, things are very different now."

Sir Edward said he had written to the station commander of RAF Scampton about the change.

In his letter, shared with the BBC, he said: "Undoubtedly we are both more sensitive and more sensible today when it comes to the delicateness of racialist and derogatory terminology which had been used with unfortunate informality in the past.

"I am, however, very fearful of our ability today to erase or re-write history. The past needs to be explained, taught about, and learned from - not re-written."

Well rewriting history would be trying to pretend as though the dog was named something else. Removing the gravestone from RAF Scampton doesn't change history.

Well rewriting history would be trying to pretend as though the dog was named something else. Removing the gravestone from RAF Scampton doesn't change history.
    Well, I mean its impossible to actually change history, so we've no worries on that front....

Well, I mean its impossible to actually change history, so we've no worries on that front....

Doesn't re-write it either. Think it was clear what I was saying, in regard to quoted Sir Edward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

southstar wrote: »
    Whatever about black people being equally racist...and I have witnessed incidents of casual racism towards whites in other countries.

But you get that in Ireland too like Im white but Ive certainly been racially profiled like when going into a shop because Im white the security people take no heed of you as a shop lifter or risk or whatever for no other reason than your white. Its standard in Ireland and based on nothing but casual racism that they dont even notice. If you asked one of them why were they being racist they wouldnt even realise that they were. They should be treating all customers the same as I see it.

But you get that in Ireland too like Im white but Ive certainly been racially profiled like when going into a shop because Im white the security people take no heed of you as a shop lifter or risk or whatever for no other reason than your white. Its standard in Ireland and based on nothing but casual racism that they dont even notice. If you asked one of them why were they being racist they wouldnt even realise that they were. They should be treating all customers the same as I see it.

Maybe it's your white privelage that's giving you away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

If you are white with an accent from Ballymoon or Tallagh security will keep an eye on you, you dont need to be black for that

You're a bit uppity for your own good

520348.jpeg

• Advertisement

Disappointing adolescence in one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Sigh taking down the headstone of an unfortunately named dog. Yes that will make things better. That fixes racism.
    Im just waiting for Die Hard to be cancelled.

To remove relics of the past that help illustrate how far we have come today is just stupid. Its actually beyond stupid.
    And where will it end?

And still no answers on the gardai "brutality" video. Much to noones surprise.

A DJ who went by the stagename The Black Madonna has decided to rebrand as The Blessed Madonna. Probably because of all the negative connotations of the word Black these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A DJ who went by the stagename The Black Madonna has decided to rebrand as The Blessed Madonna. Probably because of all the negative connotations of the word Black these days...

it's ok she can appropriate a Catholic figure, nothing will be said. Christians/ Catholics won't go off on one. Watching these uber progressives eat themselves is priceless considering her history of virtue signaling.

DJ Michelin Woman would be more fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

it's ok she can appropriate a Catholic figure, nothing will be said. Christians/ Catholics won't go off on one. Watching these uber progressives eat themselves is priceless considering her history of virtue signaling.

DJ Michelin Woman would be more fitting.

Lol

rts2b8kt.jpg?itok=0b8DCgYF

thumbRNS-Westboro-Signs15-071618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Sigh taking down the headstone of an unfortunately named dog. Yes that will make things better. That fixes racism.
    Im just waiting for Die Hard to be cancelled.

To remove relics of the past that help illustrate how far we have come today is just stupid. Its actually beyond stupid.
    And where will it end?

And still no answers on the gardai "brutality" video. Much to noones surprise.

Are you arguing to stick back up the statue of Queen Victoria and changing the name of Cobh back to Queenstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

BLM, much like MeToo, is a movement, not an organisation. It doesn't have a manifesto other than promoting There have been people and groups who have tried to control it and structure it, and even taken it's name, but they don't represent the movement as a whole.

BLM are not a good representation of their namesake, I had no time for them when they stormed the stage of a Bernie Sanders address and grabbed the mic of the old man demanding they give them the stage or they will shut down the event and I have not time for them as enter private gated property because they passed it and thought it looked like a nice house they wanted to destroy, at least the home owners were willing to fight back.

Just to go back to this completely fabricated story that the mods allowed to stay up, the gun toting people have been charged with felonies for unlawful use of a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

BLM, much like MeToo, is a movement, not an organisation. It doesn't have a manifesto other than promoting There have been people and groups who have tried to control it and structure it, and even taken it's name, but they don't represent the movement as a whole.

Just to go back to this completely fabricated story that the mods allowed to stay up, the gun toting people have been charged with felonies for unlawful use of a weapon.

Fabricated story?
    30193790-8471859-Mark_McCloskey_63_shared_these_images_of_the_gates_into_his_priv-a-20_1593456604971.jpg
    Caving to the PC brigade does not mean the protesters were in the right:(, All this is going to do is give those crazy protesters a free pass to do what ever they want. The couple should not get charged at all, they have a right to protect themselves and their property, what would you do if so many people broke into your gated community and the great thing is it had an effect, the protesters left and headed to their original destination which was the Mayors home.

This is very much a Dems vs Reps issue now
    The circuit attorney in St. Louis, Kimberly M. Gardner, said the couple created a dangerous situation involving “peaceful, unarmed protesters.”

Ms. Gardner, a Democrat, said she would not seek jail time for the couple were they to be convicted, but rather would seek to place them in a diversion program, like community service.

Late Monday night, the attorney general of Missouri, Eric Schmitt, a Republican, filed a motion to have the charges against the McCloskeys dismissed, saying in a statement that state law “provides broad rights to Missourians who are protecting their property and lives from those who wish to do them harm.”

The governor of Missouri, Mike Parson, a Republican, has come to the couple’s defense, saying in a radio interview that he would most likely pardon them and that “I don’t think they’re going to spend any time in jail.”

Senator Josh Hawley of Missouri, a Republican, called for a civil rights investigation into Ms. Gardner last week, contending that the pending case “is a politically motivated attempt to punish this family for exercising their Second Amendment rights.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fabricated story?

Caving to the PC brigade does not mean the protesters were in the right:(, All this is going to do is give those crazy protesters a free pass to do what ever they want. The couple should not get charged at all, they have a right to protect themselves and their property, what would you do if so many people broke into your gated community and the great thing is it had an effect, the protesters left and headed to their original destination which was the Mayors home.

The whole thing is pretty simple. The couple have the right to protect their property but they don't have the right to indiscriminately point weapons at people.

Advertisement