Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

20Cent wrote: »
    BLM is against violence.
    If someone uses a march as an opportunity to do it then they are not responsible.

That's why I said that BLM has empowered thugs. As mentioned, individual leaders have called looting 'reparations'.

BLM is against violence.
    If someone uses a march as an opportunity to do it then they are not responsible.

someone should tell their supporters that. BLM are not associated with the violence at their marches in the same way that Sinn Fein are not associated with the IRA.

(for clarity, I am not comparing the two factions, but merely pointing out the similarity of distancing themselves to something they are intrinsically involved with)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Your experience as a black man living in the USA is invaluable to this thread.

You might as well close down the thread so if that's how it's going to be.

You might as well close down the thread so if that's how it's going to be.

You need to be black, in america, oppressed and the subject of systemic racism to post in this thread.

Whiteys should keep their mouths shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Its almost as important as your white knighting and virtue signaling. Almost.

On a side note, it is telling that you automatically discount my opinion because of my race and location.

Well in fairness you are saying that their concerns are misplaced.
    Think that they would be better positioned to decide that.

• Advertisement

someone should tell their supporters that. BLM are not associated with the violence at their marches in the same way that Sinn Fein are not associated with the IRA.

(for clarity, I am not comparing the two factions, but merely pointing out the similarity of distancing themselves to something they are intrinsically involved with)

Blaming the group for the actions of a few.
    Not a good thing to do really.
    Anyone could go to a Trump march, break a window and then claim Trump supporters are violent.

Blaming the group for the actions of a few.
    Not a good thing to do really.
    Anyone could go to a Trump march, break a window and then claim Trump supporters are violent.

Funnily enough, that already happens.

Anyone who does something ****ty and happens to be wearing a MAGA hat has often been used as proof that trump emboldens racism.

You've proven my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

Black people should just do as they are told and not complain.
    Got you.

Just like white people do when they don't want to be shot by the police. Black people are not special, no matter what BLM says.

Cordell wrote: »
    Just like white people do when they don't want to be shot by the police. Black people are not special, no matter what BLM says.

They are saying their lives matter not that they are special, it is literally in the name. They are often unfairly targeted and treated harsher than white people. They just want to be treated fairly.
    Not much to ask really.

Funnily enough, that already happens.

Anyone who does something ****ty and happens to be wearing a MAGA hat has often been used as proof that trump emboldens racism.

You've proven my point.

Both are wrong.
    My point.

Thanks

• Advertisement

They are saying their lives matter not that they are special, it is literally in the name. They are often unfairly targeted and treated harsher than white people. They just want to be treated fairly.
    Not much to ask really.

Do you think St George was treated the way he was because he was black?
    Do you think Jacob Blake was treated the way he was because he was black?

Both are wrong.
    My point.

Thanks

Cool. So you don't think trump emboldens racists. We agree.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Inept and poorly trained cops. Murder of an innocent person. Lies and a cover up. A prosecutor shielding the murderers and misleading the jurors. A shoddy independent investigation. No charged brought.

The truth is slowly trickling out. The murderers need to be arrested and charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

They are saying their lives matter not that they are special, it is literally in the name.

You are absolutely 100% wrong. Literally.

People who say 'White Lives Matter' have been accused of racism.

People who say 'All Lives Matter' have been accused of racism.

Thus people who say 'Black Lives Matter' ought to be accused of racism but they are not, because of the silly double standard.

The 'Black' specification, by it's nature, is exclusionary.

So they are saying that they are special, specifically because of their unique experience of ill-treatment, past and present.

20 Cent, a quick couple of questions:

Do you believe that there should be reparations given to black people?
    Are you in favour of "positive" discrimination?
    Is it your honest opinion that there is white privilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Or like Jessica Doty-Whitaker, murdered by a BLM supporter.

20 Cent, a quick couple of questions:

Do you believe that there should be reparations given to black people?
    Are you in favour of "positive" discrimination?
    Is it your honest opinion that there is white privilege?

I know this one.
    According to my answers I will be racist against whites or similar nonsense.

White privilege definitely is a thing though.

I know this one.
    According to my answers I will be racist against whites or similar nonsense.

White privilege definitely is a thing though.

Not nonsense at all.

I am just trying to get a grasp of your world view.

It's not a "gotcha" or a trick.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion that white privilege exists. I am also vehemently opposed to discrimination in any form, regardless of whether people erroneously view it as positive.

And reparations are a load of bull**** as far as I am concerned.

I wanted to see if there was any common ground. It is predictable that you won't outright answer all questions levelled at you because you do know that your answers will show a level of hypocrisy or paint you in a bad light.

I do think your view is remarkably skewed and have a poor opinion of white people as a race but would stop before I classed you as racist.

Not nonsense at all.

It's not a "gotcha" or a trick.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion that white privilege exists. I am also vehemently opposed to discrimination in any form, regardless of whether people erroneously view it as positive.

And reparations are a load of bull**** as far as I am concerned.

I wanted to see if there was any common ground. It is predictable that you won't outright answer all questions levelled at you because you do know that your answers will show a level of hypocrisy or paint you in a bad light.

I do think your view is remarkably skewed and have a poor opinion of white people as a race but would stop before I classed you as racist.

Here's you problem, saying black lives matter, acknowledging injustices to them and knowing that there are advantages to being white does not in any way mean one has a poor opinion or is anti white people.

Here's you problem, saying black lives matter, acknowledging injustices to them and knowing that there are advantages to being white does not in any way mean one has a poor opinion or is anti white people.

I don't agree that there is any advantage to being white.

• Advertisement

Because you've never been black. I have seen first hand, countless times that I have had advantages for being white and countless times people around me being at a disadvantage for not being white.

I 100% know white privilege is a thing and I strive to use it for the good of people around me who don't directly benefit from it, when the chances arise.

Have you lived outside Ireland for any length of time? Interested to see how your own world view has been shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cordell wrote: »

BLM isn’t saying Black Lives are Special it’s saying Black Lives Matter.

You are absolutely 100% wrong. Literally.

People who say 'White Lives Matter' have been accused of racism.

Thus people who say 'Black Lives Matter' ought to be accused of racism but they are not, because of the silly double standard.

The 'Black' specification, by it's nature, is exclusionary.

So they are saying that they are special, specifically because of their unique experience of ill-treatment, past and present.

Neither ALM or WLM existed before someone said Black Lives Matter after the death of Philando Castile.

Perhaps not in Ireland. Come live life here and see if that holds.

iamstop wrote: »
    Because you've never been black. I have seen first hand, countless times that I have had advantages for being white and countless times people around me being at a disadvantage for not being white.

I 100% know white privilege is a thing and I strive to use it for the good of people around me who don't directly benefit from it, when the chances arise.

Oh good!!

A literal "white" knight.

I'm not black (I know, I'm sorry) but either are you. Yes, racism exists and people who look different than the majority of the population will be called slurs by ignorant arseholes. Doesn't make being white a privilege.

Tell me, specifically, what have you done to use your white power for good? How have you helped the oppressed with your whiteness? What way have you strived?

Overheal wrote: »
    BLM isn’t saying Black Lives are Special it’s saying Black Lives Matter.

And the majority agree. So let's not single out a race and just say all lives matter. But that wouldn't work would it?

iamstop wrote: »
    Have you lived outside Ireland for any length of time? Interested to see how your own world view has been shaped.

Yup. Lived in the UK, Spain and america for years at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Under the guise.
    So they aren't BLM activists just people taking advantage of a situation.
    That's what I think as well.

Research into demonstrations and political violence.
    https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/

While the US has long been home to a vibrant protest environment, demonstrations surged to new levels in 2020. Between 24 May and 22 August, ACLED records more than 10,600 demonstration events across the country. Over 10,100 of these — or nearly 95% — involve peaceful protesters. Fewer than 570 — or approximately 5% — involve demonstrators engaging in violence. Well over 80% of all demonstrations are connected to the Black Lives Matter movement or the COVID-19 pandemic.

20cent. That research has already been dragged up several times. The claims made about these being peaceful protests do not stand up to scrutiny.

What you have quoted above covers all demonstration not just BLM protest/ riots.

*The wording taken directly from the actual report regarding the BLM protests/ riots details that:

* https://acleddata.com/2020/08/31/us-crisis-monitor-releases-full-data-for-summer-2020/

Under the heading "The Black Lives Matter Movement"
    "more than 93% of events" involve non-violent demonstators

That does not explicitly state these events were without violence. What it does suggests that in at least 93% of events (protests) - at least some protestors were engaging in violence and that just 7% of all events (protests)which were completly peaceful

Looking at the study methodology - it is evident that it is a stand alone study with the data on violence being gathered solely from news reports.

It has been shown that many of the main media sources are frequently not reporting on many of the blm protests and riots

However it would appear that real-time reports and video footage coming from independent reporters and members of the public are not included in the study.

It is a fact that the all too frequent violence of blm protests are online for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Overheal wrote: »
    Neither ALM or WLM existed before someone said Black Lives Matter after the death of Philando Castile.

Whatever.

It is good to affirm both of those things, if only to highlight the insane mental gymnastics of those whose agenda sees anything wrong in affirming them.

Advertisement