Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good to see some push back against these scapegoating ideologies, they shouldnt be allowed anywhere near schools

https://twitter.com/andrewdoyle_com/status/1318680272204943360

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

20Cent wrote: »
    Chaz the so called Portland Free Zone was six blocks and lasted a month.
    Hardly "taking over the city and burning it".
    It's like saying Occupy Wall Street Took over New York.

Mayor Jenny Durkan described the area on June 11 as four blocks in Seattle with a block party atmosphere, a common occurrence for Capitol Hill, stating, "It's not an armed takeover.
    On June 14, USA Today reported a festive environment, comparing the protest to a miniature version of Burning Man.
    On June 12, Black Lives Matter protesters negotiated with local officials to leave the zone

1200px-BLM_Seattle_on_June_9%2C_2020_-_2.jpg

And what a failure that turned out to be , 4 shootings , 2 murders , arson and a few sexual assaults all in a couple of weeks . The summer of peace and love ....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

silverharp wrote: »
    good to see some push back against these scapegoating ideologies, they shouldnt be allowed anywhere near schools

Unfortunately no one listens to such a reactionary opinion.
    This was the case maybe 20 years ago, when indeed her blackness was not seen as victimhood, and there was a movement to see all of us equal. Those times are gone, we are regressing back to define ourselves by the color of our skin. Back to tribes and castes.

Agree it was a failure.
    Just saying the whole city was taken over and on fire is not true.
    Simple point no need to read more into it.

When public disorder gets that bad it's time for reform.
    Announcing new measures would be a far better way than going in hard like Trump wanted.
    That just makes things worse.
    There are legitimate issues that need to be addressed re police brutality and racism. Address them and the trouble will stop.

Really, you lot are just rent a mob , any little "social justice cause" you lot just jump on the bandwagon . Are ye going be protesting the nigerian cops who shot and killed 12 protestors yesterday ?? Probably not as the cops are black so ye can't jump on the evil racist , whitey bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Really, you lot are just rent a mob , any little "social justice cause" you lot just jump on the bandwagon . Are ye going be protesting the nigerian cops who shot and killed 12 protestors yesterday ?? Probably not as the cops are black so ye can't jump on the evil racist , whitey bandwagon

What's wrong with social justice.
    It's actually a good thing.
    Nice whataboutery as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Absolutely spot on !

She has just become my new personal hero.

Do their lives not matter?? Or is it much easier to get behind a movement when a white cop kills someone instead of a black cop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that?

I'm surprised you are not somewhat better versed on this theory Overheal - considering how much this particular ideology is been pushed.

But yes plenty of sources out there if you care to look.

Effectively"Critical race theory" posits individuals as oppressed or oppressor soley based on their skin color.

Kemi Badenoch - the current women and equalities minister in the UK - detailed this when she stated that CRT is "an ideology that sees my blackness as victimhood and their whiteness as oppression”.

Dr. Carol Swain, former political science and law professor at Vanderbilt University futher explains
    Critical race theory assumes that racism is permanent and affects every aspect of our society, including political, economic, social and religious institutions. The theory further advances the belief that being born with white skin, in itself, gives unearned privileges...

According to the narrative, all white Americans are guilty oppressors who have benefitted from their white skin even if their parents are, say, Appalachian poor or high school dropouts working at the local big-box franchise store (if employed at all).

https://www.thecollegefix.com/black-law-scholar-explains-how-critical-race-theory-is-a-dangerous-and-destructive-ideology/

Any theory which is based on categorising and denigrating all people based on the colour of their skin is inherently racist imo. I'm not alone in believing that...

Do their lives not matter?? Or is it much easier to get behind a movement when a white cop kills someone instead of a black cop

The thread is about BLM, so if you want a thread about Nigerian police maybe start one. Pure whataboutery to bring up something else.

The thread is about BLM, so if you want a thread about Nigerian police maybe start one. Pure whataboutery to bring up something else.

How is it whataboutery?? Blm means black lives matter, loads of black protester's are getting shot dead in Nigeria. Do blm not care about blacks getting killed in africa ? Or do they only care the odd time one killed by a cop in America. Or what about the 40 odd people who get shot in Chicago every weekend. For a racial organization they seem very selective on which black lives matter

CHICAGO -- Eight people are dead and 36 others were wounded so far this weekend in violence across Chicago, according to police.

Last weekend Chicago police reported 50 people shot, four fatally. Five of those wounded were teenagers.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-shooting-breaking-news-violence/7151774/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I bet that she doesn't feel the need to loot and riot .

instead she educated herself and worked herself into a position where she can actually effect the lives of all people in a positive way

a politician making sense is a rare thing

How is it whataboutery?? Blm means black lives matter, loads of black protester's are getting shot dead in Nigeria. Do blm not care about blacks getting killed in africa ? Or do they only care the odd time one killed by a cop in America. Or what about the 40 odd people who get shot in Chicago every weekend. For a racial organization they seem very selective on which black lives matter

CHICAGO -- Eight people are dead and 36 others were wounded so far this weekend in violence across Chicago, according to police.

Last weekend Chicago police reported 50 people shot, four fatally. Five of those wounded were teenagers.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-shooting-breaking-news-violence/7151774/

That's literally whataboutery.
    People who raise money for breast cancer don't hate people or not care about people with other types.
    Also they can be concerned about more than one issue.
    Why isn't the FAI making statements about rugby.
    It is a silly argument.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    I bet that she doesn't feel the need to loot and riot .

instead she educated herself and worked herself into a position where she can actually effect the lives of all people in a positive way

a politician making sense is a rare thing

When you compare her to the labour mp Dawn Butler , who was delighted to be " racially profiled " in that incident a few weeks ago . I know who is be voting for and it's not Dawn .

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

nothing wrong with social justice assuming these has been a social injustice committed.

eg you're white, i'm black, you assault me = racist attack. no context or nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

nothing wrong with social justice assuming these has been a social injustice committed.

eg you're white, i'm black, you assault me = racist attack. no context or nuance.

I'd just love to see just one "social justice" issue that's a real issue, that's completely clear cut. Nearly everything these types push are great exaggerations and often outright lies; the water is nearly always muddy. If it wasn't they wouldn't have to be so forceful with their views, as they'd have the majority on their side regardless.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'd just love to see just one "social justice" issue that's a real issue, that's completely clear cut. Nearly everything these types push are great exaggerations and often outright lies; the water is nearly always muddy. If it wasn't they wouldn't have to be so forceful with their views, as they'd have the majority on their side regardless.

I completely agree.

I am staunchly opposed to racism of any kind. But can't get behind BLM

I obviously am opposed to fascism but would never support antifa.

Tbf it deals with black lives matter and the issue of policing. The inherent back drop to the movement is that black people are being targeted because of their colour by police forces. However where does that leave protests like those in Nigeria against police brutality which turned violent with reports of multiple demonstrators been shot?
    Demonstrators in Nigeria have taken part in daily protests across the country for nearly two weeks over widespread claims of kidnapping, harassment, and extortion by a police unit know as the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

Is the Nigerian police force 'racist' or is there a bigger discussion to be had on this issue?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/10/20/africa/nigeria-protests-lekki-tollgate/index.html?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbf it deals with black lives matter and the issue of policing. The inherent back drop to the movement is that black people are being targeted because of their colour by police forces. However where does that leave protests like those in Nigeria against police brutality which turned violent with reports of multiple demonstrators been shot?

Is the Nigerian police force 'racist' or is there a bigger discussion to be had on this issue?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/10/20/africa/nigeria-protests-lekki-tollgate/index.html?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Nigerian police are corrupt.
    Obviously.
    Silly argument, cops kill people for different reasons.
    Really stretching this here ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm surprised you are not somewhat better versed on this theory Overheal - considering how much this particular ideology is been pushed.

But yes plenty of sources out there if you care to look.

Effectively"Critical race theory" posits individuals as oppressed or oppressor soley based on their skin color.

Kemi Badenoch - the current women and equalities minister in the UK - detailed this when she stated that CRT is "an ideology that sees my blackness as victimhood and their whiteness as oppression”.

Dr. Carol Swain, former political science and law professor at Vanderbilt University futher explains

https://www.thecollegefix.com/black-law-scholar-explains-how-critical-race-theory-is-a-dangerous-and-destructive-ideology/

Any theory which is based on categorising and denigrating all people based on the colour of their skin is inherently racist imo. I'm not alone in believing that...

Your source doesn’t say Critical Race Theory is what you said it is. You said it posits that whites people are “born racist” your source says they are born with privileges.

Do you see having privileges as being synonymous with being racist? If so, why

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well here's the lady herself stating those exact words.

https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1318624835937931265

Also interesting to note her report of what white BLM protestors called a black armed police officer! I'm not going to repeat the words but anyone can watch it for themselves.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Your source doesn’t say Critical Race Theory is what you said it is. You said it posits that whites people are “born racist” your source says they are born with privileges.

Do you see having privileges as being synonymous with being racist? If so, why

I was taught that I shouldn't make judgements or assumptions about people because of their skin colour.

Marcos wrote: »
    Well here's the lady herself stating those exact words.

https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1318624835937931265

Also interesting to note her report of what white BLM protestors called a black armed police officer! I'm not going to repeat the words but anyone watch it for themselves.

“The lady”

Is this someone who devised Critical Race Theory or a politician intent on banning it?

You say she said “those exact words” but 2 mins of nothing mentioning being “born racist” try again?

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I was taught that I shouldn't make judgements or assumptions about people because of their skin colour.

thats racist these days I think.

I believe you are meant to admit that white people have superior privilege but aren't better than anyone because of their skin colour and you aren't to treat black people different except when you treat them better because they don't have white skin.

Simple really

Nigerian police are corrupt.Obviously. Silly argument, cops kill people for different reasons.Really stretching this here ya know.

Incorrect - Its not an "argument". Its a case where the demonstrators have taken part in daily protests across the country for nearly two weeks" over widespread claims of kidnapping, harassment, and extortion by a police" unit know as the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). 

So there are claims of brutality. Are all such incidents racist? I doubt it. The same applies to policing in the US.

Incorrect. Its not an "argument". It this case the demonstrators have taken part in daily protests across the country for nearly two weeks over widespread claims of kidnapping, harassment, and extortion by a police unit know as the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). 

So there are claims of brutality. Are all such incidents racist? I doubt it. The same applies to policing in the US.

Uhm what?

Kidnapping harassment and extortion aren’t corruption?

Imagine someone barging into your new home because you are the wrong color

https://twitter.com/attorneycrump/status/1318727956634783745?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Imagine someone barging into your new home because you are the wrong color

They say in the first few seconds that wasn't the reason. Glad to clear that up.

Sand wrote: »
    They say in the first few seconds that wasn't the reason. Glad to clear that up.

They’d say anything once the recording started wouldnt they.

I don’t believe anyone could be so gullible as to believe them here. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

They’d say anything once the recording started wouldnt they.

I don’t believe anyone could be so gullible as to believe them here. Cop on.

Your belief isnt evidence. Everyone else can only go off what they say.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    Your belief isnt evidence.

Neither is yours :rolleyes:

Advertisement