Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

Overheal wrote: »
    Probably because she didn’t do the s very handshake. Aaaaany other reason besides the patently obvious

If you are continuously looking for racism, or even expecting it, you will see it everywhere. Even where it doesn't exist.

What’s the ‘patently obvious’?

Whites hate blacks. Apart from the whites who support BLM that is.

Duh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Whites hate blacks. Apart from the whites who support BLM that is.

Duh

No.
    Just most barristers people see in the UK will be white.
    So when they see a black person they don't realise they are a barrister.
    It's like a subconscious bias.
    We need to be aware we do it, everyone has biases.
    Just acknowledge it and don't jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

I’d imagine that the fact that she’s a young woman is more likely the reason that she wasn’t immediately recognised as a barrister. And I wouldn’t consider that sexist per se, in the same way I wouldn’t consider it racist if the fact that she was black was in fact the reason. But that’s my opinion, I tend to assume that people are more likely just not used to seeing young female barristers or young black barristers rather than immediately assuming they’re racist/sexist/ageist.

20Cent wrote: »
    No.
    Just most barristers people see in the UK will be white.
    So when they see a black person they don't realise they are a barrister.
    It's like a subconscious bias.
    We need to be aware we do it, everyone has biases.
    Just acknowledge it and don't jump to conclusions.

Don't jump to conclusions...

Unless the conclusion is that anything negative that happens to a black person is race related.

• Advertisement

Don't jump to conclusions...

Unless the conclusion is that anything negative that happens to a black person is race related.

Not at all.
    Just acknowledge it is a real thing though.
    You don't seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Marcos wrote: »
    The exact words she said are at 20 seconds in

I've added the link here so you don't have to go scrolling to remind yourself of what was said. https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1318624835937931265

You don't mention the racial slur mentioned at 56 seconds. Can we take it that you support white BLM supporters calling black policemen such terms?

I'm not in the habit of quoting myself, but I'll make an exception here.

See that bit in bold, you've avoided answering that twice and have posted twelve times on here since it went up, but still haven't said whether you support white BLM supporters using racial slurs against black policemen. A more cynical person than me might take your refusal to condemn such action as tacit support for it. If so I suspect you'd be out of step with the majority on here.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Marcos wrote: »
    I'm not in the habit of quoting myself, but I'll make an exception here.

See that bit in bold, you've avoided answering that twice and have posted twelve times on here since it went up, but still haven't said whether you support white BLM supporters using racial slurs against black policemen. A more cynical person than me might take your refusal to condemn such action as tacit support for it. If so I suspect you'd be out of step with the majority on here.

Probably a patriot prayer or proud boy.
    They do that to make viral videos all the time.

Not at all.
    Just acknowledge it is a real thing though.
    You don't seem to.

Because I don't think it is. I believe there is racism., And I wholly condemn it.

I do not think George Floyd, Jacob Blake or breonna Taylor had what happened to them happen because of their skin colour.

Because I don't think it is. I believe there is racism., And I wholly condemn it.

I do not think George Floyd, Jacob Blake or breonna Taylor had what happened to them happen because of their skin colour.

What you or I believe doesn't really matter.
    Think they would be better placed to make that call.
    The community over there feel they are suffering injustices.
    They are protesting for their rights and I happen to agree with them.

There is systematic racism and it needs to be addressed or there will be more problems in the future.

• Advertisement

There is systematic racism and it needs to be addressed or there will be more problems in the future.

Actually, I disagree. What I believe does matter. You seem to be intent on saying my opinion is not as valid because of my skin colour and my location. I completely disagree.

What happened to George Floyd shouldn't have happened. The fact he was black isn't the issue unless you want to make it so. Unless you believe it only happened because he was black.

Is that your position?

Actually, I disagree. What I believe does matter. You seem to be intent on saying my opinion is not as valid because of my skin colour and my location. I completely disagree.

What happened to George Floyd shouldn't have happened. The fact he was black isn't the issue unless you want to make it so. Unless you believe it only happened because he was black.

Is that your position?

Yes your opinion is not as valid as those going through it, I think they are better placed to decide how they feel. If you or I agree or disagree with them makes zero difference so it doesn't really matter either way.
    It's not just one incident George Floyd just kicked it off but it's a pattern they have felt for years. If he was white I don't think they would have kneeled on his neck so long no.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting you mention feelings twice, and facts/statistics not once.

Yes your opinion is not as valid as those going through it, I think they are better placed to decide how they feel. If you or I agree or disagree with them makes zero difference so it doesn't really matter either way.
    It's not just one incident George Floyd just kicked it off but it's a pattern they have felt for years. If he was white I don't think they would have kneeled on his neck so long no.

So white people's opinions on racism are less valid than black people's in your opinion.

Seems...racist.

Does my opinion count more than yours because I am the father of a person of colour?

So white people's opinions on racism are less valid than black people's in your opinion.

Seems...racist.

Does my opinion count more than yours because I am the father of a person of colour?

Not all white people, your opinion is less valid than the people over there suffering it, would suggest they know more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tony Timpa disagrees with you

Not all white people, your opinion is less valid than the people over there suffering it, would suggest they know more about it.

Not all white people? What?

My daughter is a person of colour. Is my opinion of racism more valid than yours? If not, why not?

Not all white people? What?

My daughter is a person of colour. Is my opinion of racism more valid than yours? If not, why not?

A black person living in America knows more about life as a black person in America than anyone else. Seems obvious, is this a controversial thing to say? very arrogant to pretend to be better informed then they are and say they are wrong. Whatever colour one is.

Interesting piece here on the shop that called the police on George Floyd when he tried to use a fake 20 dollar bill.
    The Store That Called the Cops on George Floyd

A teenage clerk dialed 911. How should the brothers who own CUP Foods pay for what happened next?
    https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/10/cup-foods-george-floyd-store-911-history.html

You know which way Slate is leaning when they spell races with different cases.
    Operator: Is he white, Black, Native, Hispanic, Asian?

biko wrote: »
    Interesting piece here on the shop that called the police on George Floyd when he tried to use a fake 20 dollar bill.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/10/cup-foods-george-floyd-store-911-history.html

Did he know it was fake?
    Happened to me once at a race track, was given a fake by a bookie another bookie noticed later. We had a laugh about it.
    • The w in white is lower case evidence that whites are hated.
    • Black people executed in the street, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

This bit struck me, somehow.
    I started working full time when I was 15, seven days a week, during school, no breaks. And by the time I was 17, I was holding a shift by myself. And by the time I got to 21, 22, I got married, and by 25, I was holding the store down by myself.” Mahmoud now has four kids, one of whom, at 13, already works at the store.

The victimhood is strong in this one -
    Steve Floyd doesn’t blame CUP Foods directly for George’s killing, but he wouldn’t call the store’s owners blameless. “They did what people typically don’t do: pointing somebody out for something you don’t even get arrested for,” he said, referring to the neighborhood reluctance to call the police for nonviolent crimes.

Steve 'We're from the same plantation' as George, thinks it's someone else's fault.

In reality, he doesn't want proper policing. He want to remain free to be the self-appointed corner boy policeman.
    Another local, Carmen Means, who is the executive director of a Minneapolis urban development group, told me that she believed the store should close “right now, because of the role they played—and to be clear, they did not kill George Floyd, but they did play a meaningful role in the lynching of George Floyd—that speaks to the culture of the store,” she told me... “The challenge,” she said, “is what the store represents.”

What the store represents ? Hard work and honesty ?

Yeah, that's a challenge for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Did he know it was fake?
    Happened to me once at a race track, was given a fake by a bookie another bookie noticed later. We had a laugh about it.

And that's what you got out of that article.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you are continuously looking for racism, or even expecting it, you will see it everywhere. Even where it doesn't exist.

We agree, but that doesn’t excuse racism where it does.

And that's what you got out of that article.

:D

Didn't read the article was replying to the post.

Did he know it was fake?
    You probably shouldn't try sarcasm.

Anyway, this is the transcript of the call. It's not possible to detect if Floyd knew if was fake money as he was so out of it.
    Operator: How can I help you?
    Caller: Um someone comes our store and give us fake bills and we realize it before he left the store,
    and we ran back outside, they was sitting on their car. We tell them to give us their phone,
    put their (inaudible) thing back and everything and he was also drunk and everything and return to give us our cigarettes back and so he can,
    so he can go home but he doesn't want to do that,
    and he's sitting on his car cause he is awfully drunk and he's not in control of himself.

Funny, in this article white and black are both lowercase - I guess CBS isn't SJW enough yet.
    Operator: Okay. Is he white, black, Native, Hispanic, Asian?
    Caller: Something like that.
    The caller (clerk) seems a bit drunk himself :D
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-floyd-death-911-transcript-minneapolis-police/

You probably shouldn't try sarcasm.

Anyway, this is the transcript of the call. It's not possible to detect if Floyd knew if was fake money as he was so out of it.

Funny, in this article white and black are both lowercase - I guess CBS isn't SJW enough yet.

The caller (clerk) seems a bit drunk himself :D
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-floyd-death-911-transcript-minneapolis-police/

Honestly there have been several posts in this thread which I can't tell are sarcastic or not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The "Community"? "They"

Whose this "Community you refer to?

Looks like not everyone agrees with you tbf.
    More than 80% of Black Americans favor a police presence in their area equal to current levels or more, according to the findings of a Gallup poll 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/81-black-americans-police-retain-increase-presence

SozBbz wrote: »
    Gosh people are depressing.

1. Saying "All Lives Matter" puts you in the company of some pretty unsavory people. Its dismissive at best - why are you threatened by marginalised people asking to be treated with decency and respect? If you really believe that all human life matters, you'd see BLM as simply stating the obvious.
    2. What BLM are trying to get across is that its not that you can't be white and have a hard life. Its that your life hasn't been made harder by virtue of the colour of your skin.
    3. Its hard to fully understand someone elses lived experience, especially if its fundamentally different than your own. But that doesn't mean that its not true or that its something to be dismissive about.

Black Lives Matter is simply seeking to challenge prejudice and create more equal outcomes - fundamentally whats wrong with that?

1. Going by behaviour of some protesters, saying "Black Lives Matter" also puts you in the company of some pretty unsavory characters.
    2. I disagree with that point of view. I do not believe in white privilege
    3. Exactly. So I don't agree that someone can judge my lived experience because of the colour of my skin.

As pointed out above, equality of outcome is a preposterous goal and gender/race quotas are absolutely discriminatory and not merit based.

*oops, I just noticed I am responding to a post from way back on the first page. My point stands though. Sorry for zombie quoting

1. Going by behaviour of some protesters, saying "Black Lives Matter" also puts you in the company of some pretty unsavory characters.
    2. I disagree with that point of view. I do not believe in white privilege
    3. Exactly. So I don't agree that someone can judge my lived experience because of the colour of my skin.

As pointed out above, equality of outcome is a preposterous goal and gender/race quotas are absolutely discriminatory and not merit based.

*oops, I just noticed I am responding to a post from way back on the first page. My point stands though. Sorry for zombie quoting

Opps someone's be listening to Jordan Peterson here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Any word on when BLM will be holding protests for all the protestors shot in Nigeria???

Advertisement