Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A hunger strike has begun for prosecution of Breonna Taylor’s murder

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53477413

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    A hunger strike has begun for prosecution of Breonna Taylor’s murder

I can't believe cops are allowed to just storm into someone's house like that without a warning.
    " a no-knock search warrant - a court document that authorises police to enter a home without permission."

Especially in the US where people regularly have guns in their own homes to protect themselves. If the police have a warrant to enter a residence surely they should make themselves known first.

What a crazy procedure. Anyone advocating to have this removed?

Accordingly to the article they are calling for
    "[2 of the officers involved]be fired and stripped of their pensions."

This seems like more calls for retribution rather than attempts to fix the system.

Calls for both, and without retribution cops elsewhere will feel immune to spray and pray as these thugs did. Bullets whizzing into other apartments adjacent too, nearly took out an innocent pregnant woman with a headshot according to news reports.

What they did was indeed insane, in a world of castle doctrine not announcing yourselves, crashing a door in, no uniform, no marked cars, no cameras so your actions can be audited later even. They didn’t even, it would seem apparent, keep any EMT on standby, which in many parts of the country is SOP for a NKR. She bled out for about 5 -6 minutes without any sort of help, and then her lifeless body sat untouched for up to 20 minutes.

Calls for both, and without retribution cops elsewhere will feel immune to spray and pray as these thugs did. Bullets whizzing into other apartments adjacent too, nearly took out an innocent pregnant woman with a headshot according to news reports.

What they did was indeed insane, in a world of castle doctrine not announcing yourselves, crashing a door in, no uniform, no marked cars, no cameras so your actions can be audited later even. They didn’t even, it would seem apparent, keep any EMT on standby, which in many parts of the country is SOP for a NKR. She bled out for about 5 -6 minutes without any sort of help, and then her lifeless body sat untouched for up to 20 minutes.

Where was the call for that 'no knock warrant' to be removed from law? That seems f*cking crazy. How can a neighbour or the residents differentiate between police and genuine burlgars? They can't, it's ridiculous.

The article sites these concerns:
    • Four hunger strikers in Louisville, Kentucky, are demanding that two city officers involved in Taylor's death - Sgt John Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove - be fired and stripped of their pensions.
    • The strikers are calling for lawmakers to create equal opportunities for racial minorities and for corporations to take stronger action to support civil rights. The diverse group is calling for higher wages for all workers as well as better healthcare access, sick leave, and child support among other demands.
    • In Manhattan, workers are protesting outside Trump Tower, calling for Republicans to approve the Heroes Act, a second economic stimulus bill that has already been approved by the Democratic-led House of Representatives.
    • In Missouri, protesters gathered at a McDonald's restaurant, then marched to a memorial for Michael Brown, a black teenager who was killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014.
    • In Los Angeles, workers led a "car caravan" to the University of Southern California to "demand the nation's second-largest school district and the university drop their use of the [Los Angeles Police Department] on campuses", according to a press release.

Again not focusing on the 'right things'. It's as if they are purposefully doing it.
    Why not just have the 'no knock warrant removed' why not petition against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

A DJ who went by the stagename The Black Madonna has decided to rebrand as The Blessed Madonna. Probably because of all the negative connotations of the word Black these days...

Joey Negro has cancelled himself too...

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    Where was the call for that 'no knock warrant' to be removed from law? That seems f*cking crazy. How can a neighbour or the residents differentiate between police and genuine burlgars? They can't, it's ridiculous.

The article sites these concerns:

Again not focusing on the 'right things'. It's as if they are purposefully doing it.
    Why not just have the 'no knock warrant removed' why not petition against that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/12/louisville-breonna-taylor-law/

They have. Their focus is fine, and Senator Rand Paul of KY has already introduced a federal bill to the Senate to ban the practice nationwide.

In other news I see #BoycottMLB is trending since, after nearly 2 months of ‘riots’ and calls for peaceful protests, people still can’t temper themselves when they actually encounter a peaceful protest. Yes. MLB players kneeling for the anthem. Oh the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They have. Their focus is fine, and Senator Rand Paul of KY has already introduced a federal bill to the Senate to ban the practice nationwide.

In other news I see #BoycottMLB is trending since, after nearly 2 months of ‘riots’ and calls for peaceful protests, people still can’t temper themselves when they actually encounter a peaceful protest. Yes. MLB players kneeling for the anthem. Oh the horror.

'Cancel culture' is only bad when it targets things the right agree with, otherwise the right is leading the charge

Sen Rand Paul? Wasn't he the one against the lynching bill, who Kamala Harris and Corey Booker basically called a racist because of it.

He's a libertarian type, he's certainly not representative of anything to do with BLM or their associates.

Where is the call by BLM or any of these activists groups to have 'no-knock warrant' removed from law? I'm starting to think it doesn't exist.

Sen Rand Paul? Wasn't he the one against the lynching bill, who Kamala Harris and Corey Booker basically called a racist because of it.

He's a libertarian type, he's certainly not representative of anything to do with BLM or their associates.

Where is the call by BLM or any of these activists groups to have 'no-knock warrant' removed from law? I'm starting to think it doesn't exist.

Again, given that Louisville has since banned the practice its QED that there was public demand for the action. I of course could just as easily as you refuse to research something I say doesn’t exist and pretend that’s evidence enough that it doesn’t. But I suppose it’s easier for you to just be spoonfed?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-06-01/breonna-taylor-police-death-fuels-call-end-no-knock-warrants

https://morningconsult.com/2020/06/24/polling-policing-reform-chokehold-floyd/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The whole thing is pretty simple. The couple have the right to protect their property but they don't have the right to indiscriminately point weapons at people.

The protesters targeted them and their home, I think that is pretty simple to see who instigated things. It is not like the protesters where minding their own business and the couple decided to crack out the guns for fun, they were scared. There is only one reason they got charged and that is the politics of the judge.

• Advertisement

The protesters targeted them and their home, I think that is pretty simple to see who instigated things. It is not like the protesters where minding their own business and the couple decided to crack out the guns for fun, they were scared. There is only one reason they got charged and that is the politics of the judge.

They didn't target their home, they were walking by it.

Show me any evidence of the couple being in imminent harm. If they aren't then they can't point a gun at someone, definitely not wave it around indiscriminately, including across each other.

What judge? You seem to be confusing terms there.

Again, given that Louisville has since banned the practice its QED that there was public demand for the action. I of course could just as easily as you refuse to research something I say doesn’t exist and pretend that’s evidence enough that it doesn’t. But I suppose it’s easier for you to just be spoonfed?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-06-01/breonna-taylor-police-death-fuels-call-end-no-knock-warrants

https://morningconsult.com/2020/06/24/polling-policing-reform-chokehold-floyd/
    The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky has urged city leaders to ban no-knock warrants, saying they lead to the deaths of innocent people.
    So I was right, you can thank the libertarians. The BLM protestors are busy with other things, apparently.
    And 64 percent in the June 19-21 survey back a federal ban on no-knock warrants, which authorize officers to enter an individual’s residence without prior warning and led to the fatal shooting of Taylor in her Louisville home in March.

It should be pretty easy to have this ban applied nationwide given that it has so much public support. If only that was the direction that BLM had taken,. which was apparent in the BBC article you originally posted.
    The Senate bill, led by Tim Scott of South Carolina, the chamber’s only Black Republican, would incentivize police departments to hire mental health experts to assist officers, but stops short of an all-out ban on chokeholds and no-knock warrants and instead would institute measures to discourage them.

The qualified immunity part of the house's bill(to have it removed) is poison, having this attached to the 'no-knock' part means it will never pass.

Libertarian's are the group that should be the most against this (and Trumps secret polices etc). They are supposed to be against government overreach and invading the homes of Americans. No knock warrants are one of the worst examples of that.

Did you even try to google it, this is the first link that comes up? Groups call for it at every BLM or GF protest, alongside justice in this case.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/black-lives-matter-nashville-weighs-in-on-bill-to-end-no-knock-warrants/article_1d7e967a-ad00-11ea-bc1c-33a6148491ba.html

Yeah good source. Why not quote up the part where BLM activists have called for no-knock warrants to be removed, because yes I can't find it. Did you read that BBC article earlier and see the list of demands that were called for?
    451: Unavailable
    The page you are attempting to access is not available in your country.

• Four hunger strikers in Louisville, Kentucky, are demanding that two city officers involved in Taylor's death - Sgt John Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove - be fired and stripped of their pensions.
    • The strikers are calling for lawmakers to create equal opportunities for racial minorities and for corporations to take stronger action to support civil rights. The diverse group is calling for higher wages for all workers as well as better healthcare access, sick leave, and child support among other demands.
    • In Manhattan, workers are protesting outside Trump Tower, calling for Republicans to approve the Heroes Act, a second economic stimulus bill that has already been approved by the Democratic-led House of Representatives.
    • In Missouri, protesters gathered at a McDonald's restaurant, then marched to a memorial for Michael Brown, a black teenager who was killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014.
    • In Los Angeles, workers led a "car caravan" to the University of Southern California to "demand the nation's second-largest school district and the university drop their use of the [Los Angeles Police Department] on campuses", according to a press release.

They are on hunger strike for retribution; not to change the system or change things in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah good source. Why not quote up the part where BLM activists have called for no-knock warrants to be removed, because yes I can't find it. Did you read that BBC article earlier and see the list of demands that were called for?

This is the headline from the page linked.
    Black Lives Matter Nashville weighs in on bill to end no-knock warrants

It goes on to say
    A bill calls for a change to law enforcement procedures across the country. It's just been introduced in the name of a woman shot and killed in her home in March.

Breonna Taylor was the young EMT in Louisville shot and killed by police at her apartment during a raid. A lawsuit by Taylor's family said the police did not knock and no drugs were found in her apartment.

This is the headline from the page linked.

It goes on to say

It doesn't say any of that in that BBC article, but whever you've got it from it still doesn't make the case that protestors are calling for no-knock warrants to be removed.

This is what it says in the BBC article.

EDIT: My apologies, I see it was the WSMV article you've quoted that I can't access. Could you please provide more of that article for context.

So I was right, you can thank the libertarians. The BLM protestors are busy with other things, apparently.

Are they? Have you never watched a video of one? "Say her name - Breonna Taylor" is a rally cry at virtually each and every one, and has been for almost 2 months now.

But sure, more spoonfeeding I guess is required. Measure 7 on this list of demands from https://justiceforbreonna.org/
    1. Demand the Mayor and City Council address the use of force by LMPD.

2. Fire and revoke the pensions of the officers that murdered Breonna. Arrest, charge, and convict them for this crime. Ensure the newly requested special prosecutor, State AG Daniel Cameron, seeks full transparency and accountability.

3. Provide all necessary information to a local, independent civilian community police accountability council #CPAC.

4. Create policy for transparent investigation process due to law enforcement misconduct.

5. Drop all charges for Kenneth Walker, Breonna’s boyfriend, who attempted to defend them and their home. [Demand Met]

6. Release the 911 call to the public for accountability. [Demand Met]

7. Eliminate No Knock Warrants.

Or the 10+ Million signatures for this Justice for Breonna Petition: https://www.change.org/p/andy-beshear-justice-for-breonna-taylor
    4. The "no-knock" warrant that police had used in Breonna's murder completely violates the constitutional rights to reasonable search and seizure. By law, police must be legally obligated to announce themselves before breaking and entering into a home privately owned by American civilians. Legislation to federally ban no-knock warrants must be passed in Congress and signed by the President; what happened to Breonna was a complete violation of her constitutional rights, and threatens the rights of all American citizens. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky has voiced similar concerns. A special session must be intervened by Congress to discuss the constitutionality of no-knock warrants immediately.

https://www.bendthearc.us/justice_for_breonna_taylor
    We stand in solidarity with the demands of Black Lives Matter Louisville:

Louisville Mayor, Greg Fischer, and the City Council must address the use of force by Louisville Metro Police Department.

Immediately fire and revoke the pensions of the officers that murdered Breonna. Arrest and charge them for this crime. Ensure the newly requested special prosecutor, State AG Daniel Cameron, seeks full transparency and accountability.

Provide all necessary information to a local, independent civilian community police accountability council.

Create policy to ensure transparent investigation processes.

Ensure that there are no charges for Kenneth Walker, Breonna’s boyfriend, who attempted to defend them and their home.

Eliminate use of no-knock warrants

It doesn't say any of that in that BBC article, but whever you've got it from it still doesn't make the case that protestors are calling for no-knock warrants to be removed.

EDIT: My apologies, I see it was the WSMV article you've quoted that I can't access. Could you please provide more of that article for context.

Here:
    Senator Rand Paul has introduced the Justice for Breonna Taylor Act. If passed, it would ban law enforcement from carrying out a warrant until the officer provides their authority and purpose.

Paul said in a statement, "After talking with Breonna Taylor's family, I've come to the conclusion that its long past time to get rid of no-knock warrants."

"I think it needs to happen, and it's heartbreaking what happened to Breonna Taylor," said John Smith of Black Lives Matter Nashville.

As Overheal has noted - Breonna Taylor is a rally cry for protesters. To say they ignore the topic is ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Full content
    Black Lives Matter Nashville weighs in on bill to end no-knock warrants
    Posted Jun 12, 2020

A bill calls for a change to law enforcement procedures across the country. It's just been introduced in the name of a woman shot and killed in her home in March.

Breonna Taylor was the young EMT in Louisville shot and killed by police at her apartment during a raid. A lawsuit by Taylor's family said the police did not knock and no drugs were found in her apartment.

Thursday, the entire Louisville city council voted to ban no-knock search warrants for police.

Senator Rand Paul has introduced the Justice for Breonna Taylor Act. If passed, it would ban law enforcement from carrying out a warrant until the officer provides their authority and purpose.

Paul said in a statement, "After talking with Breonna Taylor's family, I've come to the conclusion that its long past time to get rid of no-knock warrants."

"I think it needs to happen, and it's heartbreaking what happened to Breonna Taylor," said John Smith of Black Lives Matter Nashville.

A rep for metro police told us in part, "...our officers will knock and/or announce their presence unless someone in a dwelling is in imminent danger of bodily injury or death. That circumstance would be exceptionally rare."

The rep went on to say supervisors don't recall a time they've carried out a no-knock search warrant in Nashville in many years.

"It's one piece of the puzzle," said Smith. "There are many things that need to be done. Breonna's story is just a very sad story."

Its important to note that the BLM is not yet a party or organisation with a defined leadership or structure. It is still more a collective ideal that people from different cities, states, communities and countries are broadly in agreement with, that the system of policing in the US needs to change.

In my view, the widespread protests in the absence of a central party or figurehead strengthens the argument that action is needed.

• Advertisement

They didn't target their home, they were walking by it.

Show me any evidence of the couple being in imminent harm. If they aren't then they can't point a gun at someone, definitely not wave it around indiscriminately, including across each other.

lol, No they saw a nice house while on the way to the mayors home so entered the private grounds to mess it up. They had to turn off the main road they were walking in order to get to it as you can see here.
    520704.jpg

lol, No they saw a nice house while on the way to the mayors home so entered the private grounds to mess it up. They had to turn off the main road they were walking in order to get to it as you can see here.

It is a road of houses, it wasn't a gate to just theirs (a gate that doesn't look like the 'damaged' one in the picture you posted. What you're claiming is a person on any private street is can point their gun on anyone that enters it.

Here's a few videos that show how the couple's (changing) story still doesn't align with what actually happened.

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/06/29/couple-who-pointed-guns-at-protesters-release-statement-in-support-of-protesters

It is a road of houses, it wasn't a gate to just theirs (a gate that doesn't look like the 'damaged' one in the picture you posted. What you're claiming is a person on any private street is can point their gun on anyone that enters it.

Here's a few videos that show how the couple's (changing) story still doesn't align with what actually happened.

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/06/29/couple-who-pointed-guns-at-protesters-release-statement-in-support-of-protesters

A private street, so the protesters were trespassers, I think I have proved my point.

A private street, so the protesters were trespassers, I think I have proved my point.

” A private road is often established because an individual needs to gain access to land; such a road can cross another person's property. A private road can be used by the general public and is open to all who wish to use it, but it primarily benefits those at whose request it was established. Unlike highways that are cared for by the public at large, private roads are maintained at the expense of the private individuals who requested the road.”

I didn’t see any evidence of a trespassing notice.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Private+Roads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.646896,-90.2643698,3a,30y,267.97h,88.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOqz8WbZXatknlavFcjplfA!2e0!3e11!7i16384!8i8192

Private Street / No Trespassing

PRIVATE STREET / Access Limited to Residents

and
    PRIVATE STREET / No Outlet
    on the pedestrian entrance on the left

Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.646896,-90.2643698,3a,30y,267.97h,88.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOqz8WbZXatknlavFcjplfA!2e0!3e11!7i16384!8i8192

Private Street / No Trespassing

PRIVATE STREET / Access Limited to Residents

and
    PRIVATE STREET / No Outlet
    on the pedestrian entrance on the left

That was one of the first things I looked for when the news broke about the mob trespassing on private property, the people that have been defending the mob saying they were just "walking down the street" as if they were on a stroll are absolute simpletons. It isn't that hard.

That was one of the first things I looked for when the news broke about the mob trespassing on private property, the people that have been defending the mob saying they were just "walking down the street" as if they were on a stroll are absolute simpletons. It isn't that hard.

They are not simpletons, I think they know what is really going on but they have picked a side, In for a penny in for a Pound.

Walking or protesting on to a private street doesn't give everyone that lives on the street the right to indiscriminately point their guns at or shoot you.

It is pretty simple and likely why the couple's story keeps changing and doesn't align with video evidence.

• Advertisement

Walking or protesting on to a private street doesn't give everyone that lives on the street the right to indiscriminately point their guns at or shoot you.

It is pretty simple and likely why the couple's story keeps changing and doesn't align with video evidence.

Enough going on that a jury trial will unclusterfcuk the matter.

Advertisement