Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The statues are art and history.

So are these childrens signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

Calling it artwork is a bit of a stretch, maybe residents in Portland are sick and tired of all the blm/antifa violence in their city for the last 5 months and are fed up with all the blm crap shoved down their throats everyday .

So they choose to target a kid's school while armed to the nines. I'd like to just state that again, a kid's school. Not a college or uni, but a kids school to turn up armed to remove what you consider not to be artwork and you're ok with that?

BTW is it really honest to call statues art if they are mass-produced?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/white-bronze-civil-war-statues

"The soldier" very recognizable, yet another copy of it resides a few miles away in Walhalla atop an obelisk:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7669836,-83.0755895,3a,75y,227.61h,92.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0B8qiieCDAD5N7HSmkOweA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

It should be forbidden and illegal for teachers to push their personal ideology. There should be a state curriculum and they should stick to it.

Freedom freedom freedom

Ban teacher from sharing opinions.

The same people.
    There is an authoritarian lurking under every right winger trying to get out.

"Personal Ideology" - believing the lives of your schoolchildren matter.

We're through the looking glass here people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Said this earlier in the thread and it was laughed off.
    A lot of the violence is far right elements trying to start a race war.
    Taking advantage of BLM protests.

Charges: Boogaloo Bois fired on Minneapolis police precinct, shouted 'Justice for Floyd'

Feds say Ivan Harrison Hunter helped burn and loot the Third Precinct building as part of a coordinated attack from the far-right group trying to ignite an American civil war

https://www.startribune.com/charges-boogaloo-bois-fired-on-mpls-precinct-shouted-justice-for-floyd/572843802/

DEA makes arrest in Texas of alleged 'Boogaloo Boys'

Federal agencies including the DEA are now working together to stop groups like the Boogaloo Boys which they say hijack peaceful protests across the country. Just within the last couple of days, two men believed to be a part of the “Boogaloo” movement were charged with the murder of two law enforcement officers in Oakland, California, during a George Floyd protest

https://www.businessinsider.com/3-boogaloo-men-terror-charges-george-floyd-protest-riot-conspiracy-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

Far-Right ‘Boogaloo Boys’ Are Trying to Incite Violence at Protests
    Three men with military backgrounds have been arrested and charged with conspiracy to instigate violence at the Las Vegas protests against the death of George Floyd.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/boogaloo-boys-george-floyd-protests-black-lives-matter-1010117/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It seems like these kids are within their rights to erect whatever signs or art they wish, however, anybody citing double standards in relation to destruction of property in this instance who previously defended, or found some means of justifying through convoluted mental gymnastics, the actions carried out in BLM protests that lead to destruction of property need to have a little lie down.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    It seems like these kids are within their rights to erect whatever signs or art they wish

And to expect a safe learning environment where the general public does not invade campus armed to the gills. There are laws against that.

°°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    And to expect a safe learning environment where the general public does not invade campus armed to the gills. There are laws against that.

There are laws against breaking into stores and looting goods, setting stores on fire, setting police stations on fire etc...

You wouldn't be attempting to use the connection to children in this particular situation as a means to engender a more pronounced emotional reaction by any chance?

Glazers Out!

There are laws against breaking into stores and looting goods, setting stores on fire, setting police stations on fire etc...

Yes, there are.

Do you object to those laws? :confused:

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Yes, there are.

Do you object to those laws? :confused:

What makes you think I object to those laws?

What a curious statement.
    What's your angle Overheal?

Glazers Out!

What makes you think I object to those laws?

What a curious statement.
    What's your angle Overheal?

Because you brought it up. If that's not why you brought it up do you mind clarifying what your angle is?

°°°°°

Because you brought it up. If that's not why you brought it up do you mind clarifying what your angle is?

My angle?

I simply pointed out that laws are being broken on both sides of the argument. Surely that was obvious?

Glazers Out!

My angle?

I simply pointed out that laws are being broken on both sides of the argument. Surely that was obvious?

Nope you just said laws exist. Which, is completely true.

"Very fine people on both sides" again I see.

°°°°°

Nope you just said laws exist. Which, is completely true.

"Very fine people on both sides" again I see.

I was replying to you saying that laws exist.

This is getting childish.

Glazers Out!

I was replying to you saying that laws exist.

Which is fine, as both statements are completely true.

Not sure what you are getting so upset about here. I just thought it was weird it seemed like you might be objecting to them but I'm glad you cleared it up.

Posh Dave wrote: »
    So what you are saying if I worked with 10 black people and I thought 9 were useless this is statistical anomaly?

Yes. I would.

Your sample size of 10 people would not be representative of black people as a whole.

Plus your opinion of whether they may be useless or not may not reflect their actual ability but your perception

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Not sure what you are getting so upset about here. I just thought it was weird it seemed like you might be objecting to them but I'm glad you cleared it up.

nullzero's point was obvious. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

nullzero's point was obvious. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

It was clear as mud. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

°°°°°

Who said I was getting upset?

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy that seems to be endemic on both sides of this argument.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

It was clear as mud. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

To be honest Overheal it did feel like you were being purposefully obtuse. As for why? I wouldn't like to speculate.

My point was clear and other posters appear to be able to verify that.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

And the kids school? How would you feel if a bunch of armed folks turned up to your kids school to remove artwork? Are you seriously trying to equate them both? Protesting is one thing, we're all for free protesting and free speech right? Rioting and looting are different things. Wanton destruction is something else. Turning up armed, to a kids school, not even a college or uni, but a KIDS school is a whole other level.

Where did it say they were armed, it said they were wearing bulletproof vests.

So you support the removal of statues? 400 years, people are sick and tired, shoved down their throats on government property, etc.

I don't think there's any statues up 400 years in America . Any word on any upcoming blm protests about the killing of protestors in Nigeria yet ?

Where did it say they were armed, it said they were wearing bulletproof vests.

Right here if you had looked into it a little more:

https://god.dailydot.com/women-tear-down-blm-art-children/?fbclid=IwAR3-aQaanE0CljZIxqHtC4uh1IWesOu7ZGEp5VfKYlgd89-2A0o6kGPwe3A

I don't think there's any statues up 400 years in America . Any word on any upcoming blm protests about the killing of protestors in Nigeria yet ?

I'm not sure. Has your candidate of choice denounced the killings yet?

I read the link u put up first and it never mentioned guns

I read the link u put up first and it never mentioned guns

I agree it doesn't. But it does go to show what a little more research on some of the topics coming up on some of these threads will uncover.

That being said, what are your thoughts on these pretty heavily armed folks turning up to a kid's school?

I'm not sure. Has your candidate of choice denounced the killings yet?

What candidate ?? You must mean trump . Just because I don't agree with blm/ antifa , doesn't automatically make you a trump supporter , I think trumps an idiot btw but compared to cowardly mayor of portland and others on the left , who are giving a free pass to rioters, who would you choose ?? And again, any word on any planned blm protests regarding the police killings in Nigeria or even the present day slave trade in Africa. Or do they only protest when black criminals get killed in America ??

°°°°°

That being said, what are your thoughts on these pretty heavily armed folks turning up to a kid's school?

Here's a quote from the article you posted...

"On Sunday, the 3 women demolished the BLM art hanging outside Cottonwood School, while one of them – appearing to wear a bulletproof vest – expressed disdain for the message on the signs."

Bulletproof vests aren't weapons. Facts etc...

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Here's a quote from the article you posted...

"On Sunday, the 3 women demolished the BLM art hanging outside Cottonwood School, while one of them – appearing to wear a bulletproof vest – expressed disdain for the message on the signs."

Bulletproof vests aren't weapons. Facts etc...

Have you watched the videos?

Advertisement