Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

20Cent wrote: »
    Wow people get so defensive when facts are pointed out to them.
    Reading more into the point being made.
    The dominant culture in the west is white, being white in that dominant culture is an advantage. That's it, the whole point.

The dominant culture in africa is black , being black is an advantage ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The dominant culture in africa is black , being black is an advantage ...

Maybe, don't know, never been there.

There is an advantage to being white in the west.
    That's the point.
    That is all.
    Not controversial,
    Agree of disagree whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, not in the whole West, only in the US. Here in Ireland being black is a small advantage. Or privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

That's strange , you seem to know everything about race relations everywhere else

• Advertisement

There is an advantage to being white in the west.
    That's the point.
    That is all.
    Not controversial,
    Agree of disagree whatever.

Positive discrimination. Is that an advantage to not being white?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

based on your logic you would not have to have been to africa to recognise black privilege.

Positive discrimination. Is that an advantage to not being white?

No because by far the vast majority of jobs or college places or whatever are not effected by affirmative action. It is way of overcoming prejudice by inclusion.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    based on your logic you would not have to have been to africa to recognise black privilege.

If black people are treated better than white people there then there would be an advantage in being black there then. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If black people are treated better than white people there then there would be an advantage in being black there then. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Just pointing out your fallacy, no such thing as white/black privilege, im sure black people get abuse here from some idiotic racist pricks but that doesn't mean just because i don't im privileged, individuals need to be called out for racist behaviour but tarring entire races as one thing or another and saying you have it better than all other individuals of a certain race is going to lead to resentment and lead to an unnecessarily divided society.

• Advertisement

Surely you should be advocating that people who aren't religious should be given opportunities in majority Muslim countries?

Why do you only focus on so called white privilege and frame it as something that needs to be addressed?

It's absurd and purposely divisive and only done in a massive attempt to virtue signal.

Just pointing out your fallacy, no such thing as white/black privilege, im sure black people get abuse here from some idiotic racist pricks but that doesn't mean just because i don't im privileged, individuals need to be called out for racist behaviour but tarring entire races as one thing or another and saying you have it better than all other individuals of a certain race is going to lead to resentment and lead to an unnecessarily divided society.

That's it exactly.

You are overestimating what I mean by privilege, it is far more subtle.
    Walking down the street you don't expect anyone to abuse you because of your race. You can walk around without it being an issue. Black people can't .

Walking down the street you don't expect anyone to abuse you because of your race. You can walk around without it being an issue. Black people can't .

Racists all over the globe from all ethnicities, they are a tiny minority of the general population. Happens everywhere in every country, its a sad fact of life. Will never be eliminated.

So...do blonde and brunette people have privilege over gingers?

I have been abused by a gang of black teens in Balbriggan because of my race. Do they have privilege?

In jobs, white men are discriminated against in order to fulfil gender/racial quotas. Is that privilege?

White people are often targeted by minorities and falsely accused of racism in order to discredit them. Is that privilege?

It's such a bull**** and lazy term to delegitimise white people and to prove that you are an "ally" to minorities.

Racists all over the globe from all ethnicities, they are a tiny minority of the general population. Happens everywhere in every country, its a sad fact of life. Will never be eliminated.

Acknowledging it is a start, pretending it doesn't exist would be a step backwards.

Acknowledging it is a start, pretending it doesn't exist would be a step backwards.

Racism exists. White privilege doesn't.

exists everywhere unfortunately, think most reasonable people would admit its all too prevalent in america. Divisive rhetoric from either side doesn't help though.

So...do blonde and brunette people have privilege over gingers?

I have been abused by a gang of black teens in Balbriggan because of my race. Do they have privilege?

In jobs, white people are discriminated against in order to fulfil gender quotas. Is that privilege?

White people are often targeted by minorities and falsely accused of racism in order to discredit them. Is that privilege?

It's such a bull**** and lazy term to delegitimise white people and to prove that you are an "ally" to minorities.

It's not all about you.
    Saying it exists in no way effects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's not all about you.Saying it exists in no way effects you.

It does. It impacts upon eveyone. Where people are judged soley on their skin colour. When those people are deemed racist because of their skin colour alone. And in this case they're judged 'privileged' because they are 'white'.

And yes that type of prejudice and antagonism against people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial group is indeed racist.

All racism is abhorrent. Using it against other races is no less so.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    It does. It impacts upon eveyone. Where people are judged soley on their skin colour. When those people are deemed racist because of their skin colour alone. And in this case they're judged 'privileged' because they are 'white'.

And yes that type of prejudice and antagonism against people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial group is indeed racist.

All racism is abhorrent. Using it against other races is no less so.

Still seeing acknowledging white privilege as being all white people are racists, not saying that at all.

It's not all about you.
    Saying it exists in no way effects you.

Who is it about then?

Am I not one of the people who has your supposed white privilege? Do only a few white people have it?

You inferred this privilege belongs to all white people in the western world. That includes me. Not me alone. But me included.

But you are right, you lying and virtue signalling in no way affects me in any other way except compelling me to refute the utter scutter that I have read on this thread

Still seeing acknowledging white privilege as being all white people are racists, not saying that at all.

No but is used as a way to dismiss white people's opinions. "Check your privilege" etc is a bull**** way of telling white people to shut up or else they are racist.

The notion of white privilege is racist and should not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Cordell

The notion of privilege is there to make positive discrimination more palatable and to induce that white guilt.
    There is no privilege in being spared the injustice black people faced in the past, that's not what privilege is.

No but is used as a way to dismiss white people's opinions. "Check your privilege" etc is a bull**** way of telling white people to shut up or else they are racist.

The notion of white privilege is racist and should not be tolerated.

Shows it exists even more, the fact of acknowledging it is offensive to you.

Last time.
    Out of all the issues you need to be concerned about in your life.
    Your skin colour is not one.

That's it.
    That's all it means.

Last time.

That's it.
    That's all it means.

exactly not about colour, its about particular region you are in, im sure many white people in majority black countries are talking about black privilege too.

P.S i don't believe in privilege for any races.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Last time.

That's it.
    That's all it means.

That's a pretty anodyne way of defining it, and it doesn't line up with other definitions online which I quote below. You're forgetting the intended use of the notion of white privilege if you boil it down to whether or not an individual has to be concerned about their skin colour or not. It is only correctly applied if used to browbeat whitey into accepting some kind of original sin which they can repent for by bending over backwards for those born without it, namely POC.

"The fact of people with white skin having advantages in society that other people do not have" Cambridge Dictionary

"The implicit or systemic advantages that people who are deemed white have relative to people who are not deemed white; it is the absence of suspicion and other negative reactions that white people experience" Wikipedia

I disagree with even using the phrase white people in a European setting since these people are the natives of the region and not some out group which requires to be distinguished by their skin colour, so you can probably guess how concerned I am that black/middle eastern/Asian/etc people living here think I need to feel guilty about their fairytale oppression.

Last time.

That's it.
    That's all it means.

Last time.

You can't say that. You have no idea what every white person goes through because of their skin colour. And quite frankly the levels of sheer arrogance and ignorance to think you can speak for or judge an entire race would be astounding if it wasn't so "on-brand" for people who think like you.

That's it.
    That's why it's bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread has been going off topic today.

Drop the posts about Nigerian protestors being shot by police, you can start a fresh thread about that if you wish. Surprised there isn't one already but there isn't. It doesn't belong in this thread, it's peripherally relevant at best yet it seems to be taking the focus of the thread at the moment. Ditto for 'being white in Africa' posts.

Move on please

Advertisement