Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

nj27 wrote: »
    That's a pretty anodyne way of defining it, and it doesn't line up with other definitions online which I quote below. You're forgetting the intended use of the notion of white privilege if you boil it down to whether or not an individual has to be concerned about their skin colour or not. It is only correctly applied if used to browbeat whitey into accepting some kind of original sin which they can repent for by bending over backwards for those born without it, namely POC.

"The fact of people with white skin having advantages in society that other people do not have" Cambridge Dictionary

"The implicit or systemic advantages that people who are deemed white have relative to people who are not deemed white; it is the absence of suspicion and other negative reactions that white people experience" Wikipedia

I disagree with even using the phrase white people in a European setting since these people are the natives of the region and not some out group which requires to be distinguished by their skin colour, so you can probably guess how concerned I am that black/middle eastern/Asian/etc people living here think I need to feel guilty about their fairytale oppression.

No one saying you should feel guilty.
    Unfortunately oppression isn't a fairytale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ckerryman

Cordell wrote: »
    I think a point were we agree is that in the black areas the poverty is higher and the education is lower. You know, consequences of the systemic racism.
    Lower education drives poverty and both drive crime. That's the explanation, not the policing.

Small street crime means drugs on corners, and drive by killings, nothing small about it.

My Parents grew up with no running water and no electricity, There is even a picture of my father walking on a rocky road without shoes on, he left school at 12, like a lot of children back then.
    How is it, there was no crime wave in the Ireland of the 40’s and 50’s.

Last time.

You can't say that. You have no idea what every white person goes through because of their skin colour. And quite frankly the levels of sheer arrogance and ignorance to think you can speak for or judge an entire race would be astounding if it wasn't so "on-brand" for people who think like you.

That's it.
    That's why it's bull****.

You are totally right.

Is what I would say if that was related to any of the points I have made which it is not.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Incel In The Membrane

You can kiss my white ass of you think I'm going to apologise for being white, feel guilty for being white or that I'm somehow responsible for blacks in America.

20Cent wrote: »
    Last time.
    Out of all the issues you need to be concerned about in your life.
    Your skin colour is not one.

That's it.
    That's all it means.

If you want to get neurotic about your skin colour, then fine. Just don't expect the rest of us to feel the same.

• Advertisement

You can kiss my white ass of you think I'm going to apologise for being white, feel guilty for being white or that I'm somehow responsible for blacks in America.

No one is asking you to.

If you want to get neurotic about your skin colour, then fine. Just don't expect the rest of us to feel the same.

It's the exact opposite.

It's the exact opposite.

You're neurotic about other people's skin colour?

You are totally right.

Is what I would say if that was related to any of the points I have made which it is not.

It was a direct answer to the below exchange and was absolutely related.

Your exact words are below. You said out of any issues you need to be concerned about, skin colour isn't one.

You don't know that. You know nothing about people and what concerns they have. It is ignorant and arrogant and racist to think you can lump all white people together and speak with authority for them or about them.

You'd ****ing be one of the first to cancel anyone you disliked for saying the same for prejudging any other race/colour. Your hypocrisy is equalled only by your propensity to spout SJW malarkey.

Last time.
    Out of all the issues you need to be concerned about in your life.
    Your skin colour is not one.

That's it.
    That's all it means.

Last time.

You can't say that. You have no idea what every white person goes through because of their skin colour. And quite frankly the levels of sheer arrogance and ignorance to think you can speak for or judge an entire race would be astounding if it wasn't so "on-brand" for people who think like you.

That's it.
    That's why it's bull****.

If black people in the US achieve some better equality then it will have no effect for us white people in Ireland don't worry about it.

• Advertisement

If black people in the US achieve some better equality then it will have no effect for us white people in Ireland don't worry about it.

And the goalpost shifts again.

A minute ago you were telling us all white people in the West had white privilege. Now it's only about black people in the US wanting "better equality". (I could have sworn that us people 1000s of miles away shouldn't be talking about it)

Better equality. Fantastic. Let's get a cake to celebrate. I want the bigger half.

Ain't nuthan' goin' change for da bruddas coz whitey cares more about goin' to da moon than helpin' us black folk

And the goalpost shifts again.

A minute ago you were telling us all white people in the West had white privilege. Now it's only about black people in the US wanting "better equality". (I could have sworn that us people 1000s of miles away shouldn't be talking about it)

Better equality. Fantastic. Let's get a cake to celebrate. I want the bigger half.

We established that you don't believe there is such a thing as white privilege 20 pages ago. Perhaps point out how if black lives matter are successful it will effect white people to counter the argument. Rather than keep saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

We are not white, we are Irish.;)

We do not identify as white like they do in America, we also dont share in so called white guilt as we are not responsible for any of the crap the identity politics crowd bang on about,

The threads about BLM so race and America would be themes that appear in it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Nonsense. Your form of looking for equality most definitely impacts Irish people. All you have to do is look at the George Floyd nonsense. Since then there's been many, many articles and discussions about how the Irish are racist. Which only serves to create a them v us narrative, with both groups growing contempt for each other to a degree. This is not normal, or healthy, and most definitely impacts Irish society.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The threads about BLM so race and America would be themes that appear in it a lot.

BLM operate in jurisdictions outside the USA.

Glazers Out!

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Nonsense. Your form of looking for equality most definitely impacts Irish people. All you have to do is look at the George Floyd nonsense. Since then there's been many, many articles and discussions about how the Irish are racist. Which only serves to create a them v us narrative, with both groups growing contempt for each other to a degree. This is not normal, or healthy, and most definitely impacts Irish society.

Having a discussion about racism increases racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Is america that racist that black people can't do achieve anything besides getting paid hundreds of millions for playing basketball/ nfl , make millions rapping about gangs , drugs and shooting people . Can blacks join the army , police , become judges , nurses , doctors, mayor's, politicians , president of the USA they even get affirmative action that makes it easier for them to get into college than other minorities which in itself is racist

°°°°°

Having a discussion about racism increases racism?

Accusing people of being racist when they're not increases racial tensions.

We have people like Ebun Joseph, who are part of what seems to be a racism industry, making their living off of taking offence to everything in this country when they have been offered more opportunities here than in their own home countries. People have a right to be annoyed by that.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

nullzero wrote: »

We have people like Ebun Joseph, who are part of what seems to be a racism industry, making their living off of taking offence to everything in this country when they have been offered more opportunities here than in their own home countries. People have a right to be annoyed by that.

This whole narrative is driven by professional outrage peddlers and grifters. You see it in the US when there's a controversial incident and up pops Al Sharpton or others of his ilk. You see it in the millions raised by BLM, that seems to find its way into the pockets of their leadership, rather than black communities.

nullzero wrote: »

Getting uppity are they?

°°°°°

Getting uppity are they?

What a trite, disingenuous remark.

Glazers Out!

Getting uppity are they?

Amazing. And on brand.

Disgusting remark insinuating racism where none exists because you couldn't refute a point.

But of course, left vague enough so as to be able to claim deniability.

Absolutely wretched tactic and an abhorrent way to discuss anything, never mind an incendiary topic like racism.

At least have the courage of your convictions and explicitly accuse people of what you believe them to be instead of mashing away at your keyboard cosplaying as an antifa/BLM member, inferring things that have no basis.

Amazing. And on brand.

Disgusting remark insinuating racism where none exists because you couldn't refute a point.

But of course, left vague enough so as to be able to claim deniability.

Absolutely wretched tactic and an abhorrent way to discuss anything, never mind an incendiary topic like racism.

At least have the courage of your convictions and explicitly accuse people of what you believe them to be instead of mashing away at your keyboard cosplaying as an antifa/BLM member, inferring things that have no basis.

It's a discussion, you don't have to play for Liverpool to discuss the team.

It's a discussion, you don't have to play for Liverpool to discuss the team.
    Interesting how white people thousands of miles away are able to tell black people in the US what their issues are and how best to solve them. Imagine the arrogance, apply that to any other issue.

Oof.

Ok. Square that circle for me then.

Oof.

Ok. Square that circle for me then.

Did already.
    Getting boring now.
    Might push off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Did already.
    Getting boring now.
    Might push off.

Perhaps you’d be good enough to elaborate on how you can blithely know how no white people have ever been treated badly because of the colour of their skin?

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Perhaps you’d be good enough to elaborate on how you can blithely know how no white people have ever been treated badly because of the colour of their skin?

Point out where I said that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Did already.
    Getting boring now.
    Might push off.

Mod

Don't come back to this thread.

Advertisement