Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

biko wrote: »
    Yes, if I am going to arrest you and you don't put away your knife, I will shoot you.
    It is pretty simple. If a policeman with a gun tells you to do something, do it.
    If you don't, then you might just get you ass whooped or worse.

Police Motto is said to be 'To Protect and to Serve'. Not to give them an excuse to go on a power trip.

Before you react, I'm not suggesting that that is all that is going on here, it wasn't, but the view that the police have the authority to dictate entirely how a situation will go down, up to an including fatal force, in a country in which racial tensions are so prevalent and racism still widely exists, is exactly why Black communities across the country got to the point of saying this is not right and started protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Do you think possession of a knife, without even attacking someone with it, is sufficient reason for them to be shot?

Because that is what happened here.

Attacking a police officer however, is grounds for the use of deadly force. You know this of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

Police Motto is said to be 'To Protect and to Serve'. Not to give them an excuse to go on a power trip.

To protect and to serve the people who obey the law, and to enforce the law on the people who don't as to protect and serve the ones that do. Enforce violently if needed. The law includes compliance with police instructions.
    Now, that the threshold for violent enforcement is very low in the US of A that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Before you react, I'm not suggesting that that is all that is going on here, it wasn't, but the view that the police have the authority to dictate entirely how a situation will go down, up to an including fatal force, in a country in which racial tensions are so prevalent and racism still widely exists, is exactly why Black communities across the country got to the point of saying this is not right and started protesting.

Who should get to dictate how a situation will go down, the suspected criminal? :confused::confused:

News Flash. Do what the cops say and you are 99.999999999999% sure of not being in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

Also, are you saying the police should have done nothing to stop him fleeing because of........racial tesnsions.........and the fact that racism exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Black Lives Matter nominated for Nobel peace prize

Recognizing the movement "will send a powerful message that peace is founded on equality, solidarity, and human rights," wrote a Norwegian lawmaker.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/black-lives-matter-nominated-nobel-peace-prize-n1256322

Well done guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

One day TMH is going to have to step away from his keyboard and into the real world.

He's in for a nasty shock.

In other news, I've nominated Gemma O'Doherty for the nobel peace prize. She does great work exposing Irish corruption...and she is still hot, if I'm being honest.

but the view that the police have the authority to dictate entirely how a situation will go down, up to an including fatal force, in a country in which racial tensions are so prevalent and racism still widely exists, is exactly why Black communities across the country got to the point of saying this is not right and started protesting.

If there's another way that a fairly probable lethal policing encounter can be managed, (role play, animal attribute therapgy etc.), I'd live to hear it, obviate risk to the police.

Until then, it is the Police who dictate how a situation is to be managed, or "how it will go down".
    Most often its the other party who doesn't recognise the unequal power relationship for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Attacking a police officer however, is grounds for the use of deadly force. You know this of course.

I don't think they get it.
    That's why they get shot

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I don't think they get it.
    That's why they get shot

The only explanation is some sort of fight or flight response.

Crazy when you think that all they have to do is be calm and follow instructions . It would solve all of their problems with police interactions.

Wonder why there aren't many community leaders...like BLM themselves...issuing advice on how to engage with police. Seems to me like a practical idea with clear benefits.

Biker79 wrote: »
    The only explanation is some sort of fight or flight response.

Crazy when you think that all they have to do is be calm and follow instructions . It would solve all of their problems with police interactions.

Wonder why there aren't many community leaders...like BLM themselves...issuing advice on how to engage with police. Seems to me like a practical idea with clear benefits.

The Chris Rock video clip posted a few posts ago by biko is excellent and contains some very good advice for black people interacting with the police.

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »
    One day TMH is going to have to step away from his keyboard and into the real world.

He's in for a nasty shock.

In other news, I've nominated Gemma O'Doherty for the nobel peace prize. She does great work exposing Irish corruption...and she is still hot, if I'm being honest.

I've lived in 3 countries, currently in US. I reckon I've more real world experience than a lot on here.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1356678702801838082

This 9 year old girl was in a mental health crisis and ended up being pepper sprayed. And many here think armed police is the only way to deal with such societal needs.

Meanwhile. Kyle Rittenhouse, who shot 2 people, was ignored by police, was able to travel across state lines to his home and voluntatily hand himself in before then being released on bond, failed to disclose that he moved house and now prosecutors are asking only that his bond be increased. If you don't see the disparity in the US police and justice system it is either that you are lying or ignorant. Whether it is incidental or deliberate ignorance, only the individual knows.

This 9 year old girl was in a mental health crisis and ended up being pepper sprayed. And many here think armed police is the only way to deal with such societal needs.

Meanwhile. Kyle Rittenhouse, who shot 2 people, was ignored by police, was able to travel across state lines to his home and voluntatily hand himself in before then being released on bond, failed to disclose that he moved house and now prosecutors are asking only that his bond be increased. If you don't see the disparity in the US police and justice system it is either that you are lying or ignorant. Whether it is incidental or deliberate ignorance, only the individual knows.

Banning the use of it on minors may be a bit of an overreaction.

I agree 100% that there is no need to use it on a 9 year old, but what about using it on a 17.5 year old if the circumstances warrant it? They are both minors but it might be justified in the case of the 17.5 year old.

And when the option of using it on a minor is gone, what are the other alternatives? Taser or lethal force? And again, I'm not talking about using it on a 9 year old, I'm talking about older minors.

What happens if the police don't know the person is a minor? Again, you'd know if the person was about 9 years of age but many 15 year olds look like adults?

How is what happened to the 9 year old girl relevant to Kyle Rittenhouse's case?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I was with you up until you swung the focus to Rittenhouse. False equivalence here.

Trump is gone.. you're supposed to be fully behind the police now..did you not get the memo?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

That's terrible , I hope the cops get disciplined. I taught all this would have stopped when biden got in.... And regarding Kyle rittenhouse , if your idols in blm/antifa weren't going around burning everything to the ground maybe there wouldn't have been armed people on the streets trying to protect businesses. As for the people he shot they were all convicted criminals , play silly games , win stupid prizes.

As for the people he shot they were all convicted criminals , play silly games , win stupid prizes.

Rittenhouse didn't shoot them because they were convicted criminals, he shot them because they were actively trying to assault him. It was self-defence in my book.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Rittenhouse didn't shoot them because they were convicted criminals, he shot them because they were actively trying to assault him. It was self-defence in my book.

I know , I was just trying to point out to TMW that people he shot were convicted criminals out causing mayhem not innocent protestors like THW would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/denzel-washington-police-america-little-things-b1796795.html

Denzel Washington's take on police officers:

“I have the utmost respect for what they do, for what our soldiers do, [people] that sacrifice their lives. I just don’t care for people who put those kind of people down. If it weren’t for them, we would not have the freedom to complain about what they do.”

He also suggested that many of the problems need to be addressed within the black community itself:

Seems like a reasonable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/denzel-washington-police-america-little-things-b1796795.html

[/YOUTUBE]

Its refreshing to see a celebrity speaking common sense and not preaching like so many of his hypocrital colleagues in Hollywood.

• Advertisement

Its refreshing to see a celebrity speaking common sense and not preaching like so many of his hypocrital colleagues in Hollywood.

Interesting that only those with a secure status/ income can speak freely about these matters.

That's terrible , I hope the cops get disciplined. I taught all this would have stopped when biden got in.... And regarding Kyle rittenhouse , if your idols in blm/antifa weren't going around burning everything to the ground maybe there wouldn't have been armed people on the streets trying to protect businesses. As for the people he shot they were all convicted criminals , play silly games , win stupid prizes.

So are you saying it's okay to shoot people if they've got convictions? Cause their previous convictions simply have no relevance... Also Rittenhouse himself broke multiple laws by even walking around with that gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

So are you saying it's okay to shoot people if they've got convictions? Cause their previous convictions simply have no relevance... Also Rittenhouse himself broke multiple laws by even walking around with that gun...
    Already addressed.
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know , I was just trying to point out to TMW that people he shot were convicted criminals out causing mayhem not innocent protestors like THW would have you believe.

Do you just half read posts ??

“I have the utmost respect for what they do, for what our soldiers do, [people] that sacrifice their lives. I just don’t care for people who put those kind of people down. If it weren’t for them, we would not have the freedom to complain about what they do.”

He also suggested that many of the problems need to be addressed within the black community itself:

My MAAAAAN!

What a legend for not being swayed by the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Many people of color are reasonable like him, unfortunately you can hardly her their voices behind the wall of noise raised by BLM/Antifa, people of color don't realize how much damage BLM has done to their reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Antifa are a global movement. Are they organized? Do they consider themselves to be the "good guys"? All things antifa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

They behave like fascists don't be fooled by the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/antifa-caused-2-3m-in-riot-damage-to-federal-property-in-oregon/

Another city damaged by radical violence. Who foots the bill? Whose side are these people on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There doesn't seem to be any desire to pursue members of Antifa, unless I'm wrong of course, which is disturbing to say the least, have they jailed many of the scumbags who have been rioting in Portland for the whole summer? Or anyone for Chaz?

Advertisement