Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Check out Andy Ngo's coverage of them, really dangerous group of utter scumbags.

The good thing is now that Trump is gone even the MSM are realising what they are...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Check out Andy Ngo's coverage of them, really dangerous group of utter scumbags.

The good thing is now that Trump is gone even the MSM are realising what they are...

Realising? MSM wasn't fooled by BLM. MSM always understood what they were. They were simply useful to the great and the good in an election year. Post-election they are rolled up like a carpet. Same as Antifa. Groups like BLM/Antifa operate at the beck and call of the elite. Ask Ashli Babbitt how it goes when you actually threaten power. BLM/Antifa was always controlled, safe and non-threatening.

Just wait until 2024 when BLM/Antifa is rolled out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

These "movements" set up shop outside a book publisher and retailer who were involved with Ngo's book. They forced them to remove his book through threats and intimidation.

We dont like it so it should be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Sand wrote: »
    Realising? MSM wasn't fooled by BLM. MSM always understood what they were. They were simply useful to the great and the good in an election year. Post-election they are rolled up like a carpet. Same as Antifa. Groups like BLM/Antifa operate at the beck and call of the elite. Ask Ashli Babbitt how it goes when you actually threaten power. BLM/Antifa was always controlled, safe and non-threatening.

Just wait until 2024 when BLM/Antifa is rolled out again.

I'd argue that the whole "progressive" movement is allowed so much dominance for the same reason. The theory that the elite are happy to push identity politics because it keeps the plebs fighting among themselves, is a persuasive one, because you can see it everyday. Any anti elite sentiment, like you'll find in the Bernie Sanders camp, is controlled. Groups as such, no matter what they think, will likely never get near power; they'll always be halted just when they think that they are making ground.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'd argue that the whole "progressive" movement is allowed so much dominance for the same reason. The theory that the elite are happy to push identity politics because it keeps the plebs fighting among themselves, is a persuasive one, because you can see it everyday. Any anti elite sentiment, like you'll find in the Bernie Sanders camp, is controlled. Groups as such, no matter what they think, will likely never get near power; they'll always be halted just when they think that they are making ground.

Yep, fully agree. Yougov/CBS ran a poll in January 2021 where 54% of Americans agreed other Americans were the greatest threat to their way of life. The responses were taken on Jan 13-16 when US media was in full flow telling Americans that fully half the country were heavily armed, hateful white supremacist terrorists that needed to be repressed. They make that fantastic leap in just one bound - it took decades of repeated messaging to set people against each other. 'Progressive' issues force division which benefits power. Elites will follow through on them to some extent - the stuff that doesn't cost them anything.

But look at Joe Biden now - student debt relief? Oh, that's very difficult now. Minimum wage is being setup for a 'Well, I tried' failure. COVID relief? Delayed and watered down from 2000 to 1400, and falling. Anything that helps ordinary people is not a priority. And its the same on the Republican side. Look at Trump - no wall, no change to immigration, no investment in middle america.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I have been watching him on YouTube, the stuff he revealed is truly scary.
    And yet we get silly celebrities giving their full support to Antifa activists, while the likes of Kamala Harris organize a fund-raise to bail them out of jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

These "movements" set up shop outside a book publisher and retailer who were involved with Ngo's book. They forced them to remove his book through threats and intimidation.

We dont like it so it should be cancelled.

Yes and now the book is a bestseller, so well done antifa, I might even buy it even though I wouldn't be that arsed reading it, I know what Ngo's point is ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Have you ever see a more weird looking group of people in your life....

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1356608636987052032?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Have you ever see a more weird looking group of people in your life....

They all look very effeminate.

I'm not sure which are male and which are female.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9231699/Most-England-rugby-players-kneel-anti-racism-solidarity-kick-Twickenham.html
    Seven England rugby players including Billy Vunipola and the majority of the Scottish team chose not to kneel against racism before their clash at the Six Nations last night.

The players chose to remain standing during the show of support for the anti-racism movement, which has proven controversial because many believe it amounts to a mandatory endorsement of the left-wing values promoted by many in the Black Lives Matter movement.

Billy Vunipola was one of the England players who remained standing at the beginning of the game.

'What I saw in terms of that movement was not aligned with what I believe in. They were burning churches and Bibles. I can't support that.
    'Even though I am a person of colour, I'm still more a person of, I guess, Jesus.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There shouldn't be any politics in sport and certainly no American politics in European sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

from minute 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmo3lSeK2gw

whatever the cops did to this guy after he was arrested i'm sure there are people who would be ready to protest in his favour

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seriously?

Drop the discussion of what people look like

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump is gone.. you're supposed to be fully behind the police now..did you not get the memo?..

Not surprised you think rights are associated with who is in power.
    Some people just don't get it.

Of course we knew that when they ye were professing faux concern for people in Chicago.

Two things to consider about the message in these tweets.

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1358917997906169858

A - 1 in 4 fatalities by police are people with mental illness. A shocking way to treat people who are suffering.
    B - There is a better outcome for society when the people have access to the appropriate services.

This is what people who were calling for the better use of funds which ordinarily have been going in to police funding wanted to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

A - 1 in 4 fatalities by police are people with mental illness. A shocking way to treat people who are suffering.
    B - There is a better outcome for society when the people have access to the appropriate services.

This is what people who were calling for the better use of funds which ordinarily have been going in to police funding wanted to happen.

Don't know how anyone can argue against that.

#defundthepolice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

#defundthepolice

:rolleyes:

Ah yeah. Stop sending out cops and send social workers instead. Good luck with that.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Ah yeah. Stop sending out cops and send social workers instead. Good luck with that.

Sure sign you misunderstand the conversation around using public funds in the best possible way.

This might make it easier to grasp.

lAEfFaA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's quite the mental gymnastics :)
    If that were to be true, then why not ask directly for more funds for more social services? That will be the sane thing to do, right? Before redirecting funds from the police to the social services you first need to make sure those funds are not needed anymore, and that can only happen after the better social services have worked their magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

If lives are being saved that's great. But this isn't indicative of systemic racism in police.

#defundthepolice

#defundthepolice is such an unconstructive and needlessly divisive mantra at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this conversation is pointless, and anyone that supports it demonstrates racial tendencies.

people that support BLM, you are all racist and, maybe not ashamed of yourselves but should be.

If lives are being saved that's great. But this isn't indicative of systemic racism in police.

Why? Should it have to be?
    #defundthepolice is such an unconstructive and needlessly divisive mantra at this point.

And images such as the above should help change this, or if not, then the understanding of the phrase isn't really the problem, is it?

Cordell wrote: »
    That's quite the mental gymnastics :)
    If that were to be true, then why not ask directly for more funds for more social services? That will be the sane thing to do, right? Before redirecting funds from the police to the social services you first need to make sure those funds are not needed anymore, and that can only happen after the better social services have worked their magic.

Really? Have you come late to this whole conversation? Or haven't been listening to the full argument maybe.

The latter half of your statement suggests that money is not an issue, if it weren't then there wouldn't have been a need to defund other public services to fund police, would there?

Why? Should it have to be?

In a BLM thread? Damn straight.
    And images such as the above should help change this, or if not, then the understanding of the phrase isn't really the problem, is it?

All that image will do is confuse the f**k out of somebody. It's way too busy.

I'm not necessarily against reallocation of resources. But #defundthepolice started the conversation off on the wrong foot for too many people and is now synonymous with the riots and ANTIFA.

And as Cordell mentioned above you should be sure that the police aren't needed to the same extent before you go pulling funding from them.

In a BLM thread? Damn straight.

All that tells me again is you don't understand/agree with the scale of what is relevant within the term 'Black Lives Matter'.

Absolutely the actions of police is a huge part of this and something which is a catalyst for protest but any serious commentator on this knows that is more than that. Disparate opportunities and experiences which exist for people, often disproportionately negative for those within Black and other minority communities should still be targeted for change.

Covid figures early in the Pandemic indicated that Black People were being disproportionately impacted. Should that not become something which receives attention to determine why this was the case.

All that image will do is confuse the f**k out of somebody. It's way too busy.

I'm not necessarily against reallocation of resources. But #defundthepolice started the conversation off on the wrong foot for too many people and is now synonymous with the riots and ANTIFA.

And as Cordell mentioned above you should be sure that the police aren't needed to the same extent before you go pulling funding from them.

This isn't necessarily aimed at you but anyone who thinks that picture is too busy to communicate a message probably shouldn't be getting so involved in a discussion on this topic. It's very straight forward.

All that tells me again is you don't understand/agree with the scale of what is relevant within the term 'Black Lives Matter'.

Absolutely the actions of police is a huge part of this and something which is a catalyst for protest but any serious commentator on this knows that is more than that. Disparate opportunities and experiences which exist for people, often disproportionately negative for those within Black and other minority communities should still be targeted for change.

Covid figures early in the Pandemic indicated that Black People were being disproportionately impacted. Should that not become something which receives attention to determine why this was the case.

BLM is a response to purported systemic racism in the police against the black community. You're making a more general case of police brutality being a reason for defunding the police. Maybe you're right, but what you tweeted doesn't suggest any racial element.
    This isn't necessarily aimed at you but anyone who thinks that picture is too busy to communicate a message probably shouldn't be getting so involved in a discussion on this topic. It's very straight forward.

I was being tongue cheek about the image, I mean never mind racism it has all of Americas problems solved through just defunding the police. It even has legalized prostitution in there ffs lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Covid figures early in the Pandemic indicated that Black People were being disproportionately impacted. Should that not become something which receives attention to determine why this was the case..

So covid is racist now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So covid is racist now ?
    Yes, depending on who you ask.

In UK the Office for National Statistics found that, adjusting for age, black people are more than four times as likely to die from coronavirus as white people. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are more than three times as likely, and Indians more than twice as likely.
    This is most likely because they often work in nursing homes or other places where the virus is more common.

A more up-to-date analysis released by the government’s Race Disparity Unit (RDU), led by Dr Raghib Ali, has found that the Covid risk to ethnic minorities is 'not explained by racism'.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54634721

Advertisement