Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

The experiences you describe aren't the same as what I talked about previously. Yes, Japan is a great pickup spot. Hell, most of Asia is. Doesn't mean that they respect you beyond the more superficial of expressions.

I spent time in Tokyo and Kyoto both for work and travel. Not living there beyond a few months though, although I've done it three times at this stage. Fantastic country.

The point is more about culture and the official reception of other racial groups, rather than what individuals think/say. And the truth about Asians, is that you rarely truly know what they're thinking, especially in Japan, which has a wall of politeness for them to hide behind.

Take my students (in China) who are mostly Chinese. They'll talk openly with me, be expressive about western ideas, and hope that someday China will be enlightened, (like they naively assume the West is).. but ten minutes later, they'll be reciting Mao, passionately arguing that Taiwan is part of China, and no foreigner can ever understand the Chinese mindset. Now, China has a very different culture than Japan, but there are similarities, once tradition and social conformity kick in.

Think of it another way. You've spent time in Japan. Ever notice how much effort they spend to express how truly Japanese they are? From a ethnic pov. There's been so much intermixing with other Asian racial groups (war brides and concubines) such as Filipino, and Koreans, that many Japanese are assumed to be less pure. As such, many Japanese will compete with each other over ethnicity.

Which feeds back into their perception towards foreigners. White people are treated to a degree of respect but Black people gain the association with Africa, which is a complete failure in the eyes of many Japanese. Not everyone.. but it's a common enough perspective from conversations I've had with Japanese students, and lecturers/professors.

I wouldn't really be able to conclude much other than the women were much easier to pull but that's my anecdotal experience with Asian women in general. I did see a fair few black people who seemed to be getting along grand. I remember watching a video on youtube of a mixed race black guy talking about Japan and saying it was ok. I think I'd need a ton more research and testimony from Japanese people and people living there before I'd make conclusions.

They were sound people from my experience anyway. I doubt they have a big issue with foreigners. Obviously people who hate foreigners will try to make it appear that other people also do in an effort to make themselves feel more justified in their covert racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

biko wrote: »
    I agree, it has morphed away from the initial BLM protests/riots into something else.
    However, BLM is still around doing their thing so thread will probably be updated with news soon.

For instance you can now buy BLM coffee.

The Marxist’s need a little capitalism to sustain them. Haha.

500 murders, 2000 shot in a city the size of Dublin. Yet BLM want to get rid of the cops . You couldn't make it up

I wonder what minuscule percentage of these deaths were by cop? Majority is black on black crime.

Obviously people who hate foreigners will try to make it appear that other people also do in an effort to make themselves feel more justified in their covert racism.

Why jump to the extreme? Most Asians feel no hate towards foreigners. It's not that kind of racism. It's cultural and historical rather than any particular personal emotion.

Which is why BLM are unlikely to gain much traction in any Asian country except for the most superficial of gestures, which would soon be encouraged to fade into the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

BLM in Japan didn't take off at all..

image.jpg

Poor me... They didn't give us enough attention. Is the world meant to stop over a handful of killings by cops in America .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Poor me... They didn't give us enough attention. Is the world meant to stop over a handful of killings by cops in America .

I think that it's more of a case of "look over there" (distraction) in response to the appalling rates of murder and criminality within black communities in the US and now western Europe. It is always easier to blame white society as a whole for their failings; something that now can be seen in Ireland where we had no (very tiny) black community until very recently. So if blacks move to a country and then find that the same problems of lack of employment, criminality, and accusations of racism that are seen elsewhere, then it is time that they look inward instead of blaming the indigenous inhabitants of their new country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Some BLM inspired ridiculousness happening in the PSG match.

Romanian 4th official said Negru (Which is black in Romanian) and assistant manager's brain explodes thinking he said the other N word.

Players walk off in protest thinking they are solving racism

And as most sane people expected, a UEFA inquiry concludes there was no case of racism

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-uefa-inquiry-into-psg-vs-basaksehir-concludes-there-was-no-racism-20210211.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

Kivaro wrote: »
    I think that it's more of a case of "look over there" (distraction) in response to the appalling rates of murder and criminality within black communities in the US and now western Europe. It is always easier to blame white society as a whole for their failings; something that now can be seen in Ireland where we had no (very tiny) black community until very recently. So if blacks move to a country and then find that the same problems of lack of employment, criminality, and accusations of racism that are seen elsewhere, then it is time that they look inward instead of blaming the indigenous inhabitants of their new country.

Maybe don't blame the most marginalised and actually try and solve the root cause which is a society that is stacked against them.

Maybe don't blame the most marginalised and actually try and solve the root cause which is a society that is stacked against them.

Imagine being a young white male in today's world. Everything is your fault. Bottom of the queue for everything.

Imagine being a young white male in today's world. Everything is your fault. Bottom of the queue for everything.

I'm certainly top of the queue for getting housing or a job. I have some friends who have autistic traits and are not aware of how weird they come across to people. Since they don't have the ability to self reflect, they attribute blame to society keeping the white man down :D

There is also a dynamic where in my experience Asian women seem to be easier to get with. Pretty much any woman of colour actually. Even if you look at high profile women on the left such as AOC, Ilan Omar, Ash Sarkar etc, they are all dating a white man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have some friends who have autistic traits and are not aware of how weird they come across to people. Since they don't have the ability to self reflect, they attribute blame to society keeping the white man down
    That doesn't sound right. Did you just make that up?

There is also a dynamic where in my experience Asian women seem to be easier to get with. Pretty much any woman of colour actually. Even if you look at high profile women on the left such as AOC, Ilan Omar, Ash Sarkar etc, they are all dating a white man.

Just as Asian men are easy for white women to get. Or white men for Black women in the US. Different strokes for different folks. Attraction for the exotic/different.
    I'm certainly top of the queue for getting housing or a job. I have some friends who have autistic traits and are not aware of how weird they come across to people. Since they don't have the ability to self reflect, they attribute blame to society keeping the white man down

That doesn't make sense in relation to autism. Although, I kinda get that you're trying to call those, white males (who feel to be victims), to be autistic. It is interesting the lack of interest in allowing white males to feel victimised, but it's perfectly acceptable for just about every other gender/race/etc to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm certainly top of the queue for getting housing or a job. I have some friends who have autistic traits and are not aware of how weird they come across to people. Since they don't have the ability to self reflect, they attribute blame to society keeping the white man down :D

I've seen you in the past claim that most negatives that happen to Africans are because of racism. I, and others, explained to you that there's a variety of potential reasons for said negatives. You decided to ignore all of that and repeat the narrative. That's hardly a sign of someone with self awareness is it? And if we're to get into the meat of victimization/discrimination I'd say that it would be far easier to compile of case about white male victimization, than African. I would take me very little time to find many examples of people in power complaining explicitly about white men, while you'd struggle greatly to find any similar examples about Africans.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That doesn't sound right. Did you just make that up?

It doesn't, because someone like that would never be friends with the type of person they've just described.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Just as Asian men are easy for white women to get. Or white men for Black women in the US. Different strokes for different folks. Attraction for the exotic/different.

That doesn't make sense in relation to autism. Although, I kinda get that you're trying to call those, white males (who feel to be victims), to be autistic. It is interesting the lack of interest in allowing white males to feel victimised, but it's perfectly acceptable for just about every other gender/race/etc to do.

Fair comments I suppose. From what I've seen mixed race men and women seem to have the best situation. Although I wouldn't be confident saying that. It's just based on what I've seen/heard. I do also agree that there is a natural human tendency to externalize blame. Didn't get the job/house/promotion etc - easy to point the finger at society/racism and definitely happens. That doesn't mean there isn't a structurally racist set-up but I would accept that naturally in some situations people are going to not get selected on the basis of fairness - they just weren't the best candidate and it was nothing to do with racism. I don't claim to be an expert on the topic and I could well be wrong about some things but from what the experiences I've had of friends who claim the white man is held down, those friends have a degree of social ineptitude in common along with general unattractiveness. Just look at any right wing protest - not exactly a crowd of male models with charisma in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Fair comments I suppose. From what I've seen mixed race men and women seem to have the best situation. Although I wouldn't be confident saying that. It's just based on what I've seen/heard. I do also agree that there is a natural human tendency to externalize blame. Didn't get the job/house/promotion etc - easy to point the finger at society/racism and definitely happens. That doesn't mean there isn't a structurally racist set-up but I would accept that naturally in some situations people are going to not get selected on the basis of fairness - they just weren't the best candidate and it was nothing to do with racism. I don't claim to be an expert on the topic and I could well be wrong about some things but from what the experiences I've had of friends who claim the white man is held down, those friends have a degree of social ineptitude in common along with general unattractiveness. Just look at any right wing protest - not exactly a crowd of male models with charisma in attendance.

Have you seen the antifa/leftwing mugshots from the us?

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1607668/mugshots-antifa-rioters-arrested-portland-unrest/

Fair comments I suppose. From what I've seen mixed race men and women seem to have the best situation. Although I wouldn't be confident saying that. It's just based on what I've seen/heard.

Everyone has problems to overcome, and mixed relationships often have greater stresses due to cultural differences, or more importantly, the perceptions of the extended family members.

Most of my relationships have been with people not Caucasian. Is it better? I couldn't honestly say. I've had plenty of issues with partners, in the same way my friends have with their own.
    I do also agree that there is a natural human tendency to externalize blame. Didn't get the job/house/promotion etc - easy to point the finger at society/racism and definitely happens. That doesn't mean there isn't a structurally racist set-up but I would accept that naturally in some situations people are going to not get selected on the basis of fairness - they just weren't the best candidate and it was nothing to do with racism. I don't claim to be an expert on the topic and I could well be wrong about some things but from what the experiences I've had of friends who claim the white man is held down, those friends have a degree of social ineptitude in common along with general unattractiveness. Just look at any right wing protest - not exactly a crowd of male models with charisma in attendance.

Why do we need to look at a right wing protest? You've chosen the one example as being the most extreme end. That's rather telling, in spite of what you described previously.. and you kinda contradicted yourself.

In any case, racism exists. Discrimination based on other factors also exist. Beautiful people tend to be chosen and hired more, than those who are not. Everyone has their own biases, and whether it's conscious or not, those biases will affect another persons success.

When it comes to Black people, they've been playing the victim card a very long time, with noticeable results. There are educational sponsorships out there solely for Black people, based on their race. Any suggestion of similar sponsorship for white people based on their race, would be destroyed immediately under a tidal wave of accusations. Quotas exist for Black people, and POC. There's a wide range of benefits associated with being Black, and better yet, there's a lot of power for those who lay down claims of racism.

For White males, there's a dual problem. On the one hand, minorities (mainly based on race) gain preferential treatment because minorities need help. Apparently. And on the other hand, feminism has established that women need help in just about every aspect of society, usually by demanding that men get less, and women get more.

It doesn't affect me in the slightest. I live in Asia, where the rules are different. I knew before I arrived there that I would need to adapt to a different kind of society, and that I would be faced with discrimination/racism. It wasn't a secret. I knew, and accepted it as a price for the kind of life I wanted.

Just as Black people in Japan or China knew how those cultures viewed them. It wasn't a secret. And they came in their tens of thousands, and did find both racism, and discrimination (for other reasons). However, with BLM, there's this expectation that Asians will fall over as quickly as Europeans did... I don't see it happening myself, and if anything, is likely to make them more discriminatory against all foreigners. You can't force social/cultural change on Asia..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The same can be said for all the blue haired , gender confused people at any left wing protest. As for housing , plenty of Africans are housed all over Dublin nearly all on the HAP or social housing, which some of their kids running riot in.
    Talking to my friends who are paying massive rents can you blame them if they're slightly annoyed that they're paying 1300 a month to rent a two bed apartment , while these a family of 7 across the road getting a four bed semi for next to nothing. In many cases they're better off than the natives cause they don't have to worry about money since they're getting the government paycheck every month. But the left would have you believe we're rife with systemic racism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

newhouse87 wrote: »

Gosh. That really is one of the least aesthetically pleasing galleries I’ve ever seen. A true collection of disaffected misfits.

What’s particularly ironic is that those who claim to champion the cause of minorities, are amongst the most race-obsessed people out there. They see everything through the prism of race.

You just have to observe the nomenclature used by a particular poster in this thread. Everything is ‘Asian women’ this, ‘mixed race’ that, almost ad nauseam.

Frankly, it’s borderline creepy and provides an unintentional insight into a somewhat warped mentality.

Hamachi wrote: »
    You just have to observe the nomenclature used by a particular poster in this thread. Everything is ‘Asian women’ this, ‘mixed race’ that, almost ad nauseam.

Frankly, it’s borderline creepy and provides an unintentional insight into a somewhat warped mentality.

I do wonder at his experience, because mine has been quite different. Oh, sure, there are advantages to being White in Asia, for both men and women. There's also advantages to being Black in Asia, and both genders are often more popular for relationships than White people.

However, the populations to consider in Asia are huge. China, around 1.4 billion people. I've met so many different kinds of people there. Culture plays a massive part in how they behave, but on an individual level, their drivers are extremely varied, along with their opinions. Same with Japan too. Culture plays a strong part within their society, and since they've been exposed to American culture for decades (more than any other country except perhaps Korea) aren't terribly impressed with Western culture. In many ways, I'd say that westerners have lost a lot of their individuality, and are becoming more collective in attitudes, whereas Asians are the opposite (except in China, which the CCP is heavily reinforcing the indoctrination/propaganda of traditional thinking)

I think people forget that Asians have been looking at the changes in Western culture/society from the outside rather than from the inside (Although the Chinese don't really seem to understand Westerners much and fall back on romantic thinking). I noticed this myself from living in China for extended periods (years) without returning home, and noticing just how much had changed in a relatively short period of time... whereas my friends/family in Ireland or in other western nations, didn't notice most changes, since it rarely affected them directly. I've had similar observations from other expats talking about their trips home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So covid is racist now ?
    As is apparently mathematics, classical music, and now Opera. There were a number of people in France who were angry that Paris Opera did not follow the lead of the New York Metropolitan Opera in supporting the Black Lives Matter movement following the George Floyd's protests. So now they have decided that Opera has racist roots, and there will be a complete overhaul at Paris Opera with the banning of blackface, the hiring of a Diversity Officer etc.

There will be collateral damage of course; there always is, for example, Swan Lake and The Nutcracker might be cut because of problematic passages or staging. They also have issues with female ballet dancers wearing all white dresses or tutus. From an article on the topic: "The idea is that everyone looks the same, and that has been interpreted as everyone having the same skin colour, meaning that black dancers rarely appear."

It's a weird auld world we now live in.

Hamachi wrote: »
    What’s particularly ironic is that those who claim to champion the cause of minorities, are amongst the most race-obsessed people out there. They see everything through the prism of race.

I really do think these people are the real racists. They see minority ethic groups as people unable to cope for themselves, that need to be saved or defended.

How about just treating people equally?

Kivaro wrote: »
    As is apparently mathematics, classical music, and now Opera. There were a number of people in France who were angry that Paris Opera did not follow the lead of the New York Metropolitan Opera in supporting the Black Lives Matter movement following the George Floyd's protests. So now they have decided that Opera has racist roots, and there will be a complete overhaul at Paris Opera with the banning of blackface, the hiring of a Diversity Officer etc.

There will be collateral damage of course; there always is, for example, Swan Lake and The Nutcracker might be cut because of problematic passages or staging. They also have issues with female ballet dancers wearing all white dresses or tutus. From an article on the topic: "The idea is that everyone looks the same, and that has been interpreted as everyone having the same skin colour, meaning that black dancers rarely appear."

It's a weird auld world we now live in.

The sad part is that it will simply reinforce the racial differences. The push from activists is for white people to wear white outfits, and the Black people to wear Black outfits. At least, until it happens, in which case someone will be angry they can't wear <insert color>, and claims of discrimination will happen all over.

These movements don't bring about equality. They simply encourage people to become angry/bitter about changes imposed upon them. This is about force, rather than having an organisation or culture changing naturally.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cork-lord-mayor-joe-kavanagh-all-lives-matter-regrets-5353092-Feb2021/
    THE LORD MAYOR of Cork has said he “very much regrets” making a remark suggesting ‘all lives matter’ during an online event commemorating former slave and abolitionist Frederick Douglass.

He need to be tarred and feathered and placed in the stocks outside City Hall for such a heinous crime.

Just shows how bad things have gotten when he has to apologise for that.. and few people can comment on the hypocrisy that says BLM is more appropriate than ALM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Just shows how bad things have gotten when he has to apologise for that.. and few people can comment on the hypocrisy that says BLM is more appropriate than ALM.

if you support BLM, you have to support ALM.

that's a fact we all learned in 3rd class (?) sets.

imagine apologising for saying all livers matter?

ludacris having to apologise for saying all lives matter. just think about that for a second?!

ludacris having to apologise for saying all lives matter. just think about that for a second?!

The rapper?

I think the suggestion is that people who say that all lives matter are actually using it as cover to hide their racism.

The left behave like they have zero trust when it comes to any right wing person’s opinion.
    A mixture of dishonesty, distrust and projection.
    If you say x they say you really believe y without actual proof. Their imaginings are enough proof.
    You are bad. Whatever you say is a lie to further some malicious secret goal. They are good people and want to be liked... They feel guilt for their own thoughts and biases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

He's a fu5king eejet to apologise.

Wilfred Zaha the latest player to speak out.

Hopefully we will see an end to this knee nonsense soon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9256639/Crystal-Palace-star-Wilfried-Zaha-says-degrading-knee-kick-off.html
    Wilfried Zaha believes it is 'degrading' that players have to take a knee before matches and called for proper action to tackle the racism.

The whole kneeling down - why must I kneel down for you to show that we matter?' Zaha said.

'Why must I even wear Black Lives Matter on the back of my top to show you that we matter? This is all degrading stuff.

'When people constantly want to get me to do Black Lives Matter talks and racial talks and I'm like, I'm not doing it just so you can put "Zaha spoke for us". Like a tick box, basically.

'I'm not doing any more, because unless things change. I'm not coming to chat to you just for the sake of it, like all the interviews I've done.

'So don't tell me to come and chat about stuff that's not going to change. Change it. All that stuff that you lot are doing, all these charades mean nothing.'

• Advertisement

He's a fu5king eejet to apologise.

Never apologise if you are not guilty. Fight back.

Advertisement