Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

biko wrote: »
    Yes, race is only important when it can drive the left agenda.
    Be less white eh?

Its nice to see some posters showing common sense.

Common sense is as good as dead in current affairs forum latley sadly.

There's plenty of data out there if you'd look for it. It's well documented that african americans are targeting asian long before trump said
    " chinese virus" .

Here's an article from 2010

https://hyphenmagazine.com/blog/2010/5/3/openish-thread-recent-black-asian-violence-hate-crime

Here's another article from 2012

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Dirty-secret-of-black-on-Asian-violence-is-out-3265760.php

City officials, including the Police Department, say these assaults are part of a larger crime picture where gangs of kids take advantage of a vulnerable group of small stature. But Mo participated in a 2008 survey by the Police Department in which about 300 strong-arm robberies were analyzed. "In 85 percent of the physical assault crimes, the victims were Asian and the perpetrators were African American," she said.

Remember the Rodney King mostly peaceful protests in L.A.- the Korean shop owners weren't waiting around for police help, they got themselves armed and up on the roofs ready to defend their hard earned livelihoods. Family members taking shifts to keep lookout.

They really are the type of immigrants every country should cherish, even if they are not the most social they work hard and don't play victim, when they more than most actually deserve the mantle of being systematically oppressed (Harvard, Berkeley etc)

This is quite bizarre. I was saying that the poster has only posted crimes by non-white people in this thread. It's pretty easy to prove me wrong, which I'm sure would have been done already if I was wrong. The guys post history makes it very obvious that I'm right.

So I'm afraid you have absolutely no point here whatsoever.

Generally speaking the onus is on the person making the claim, to provide evidence to prove their claim.. because someone can clam anything at all, and it expect others to do all the work defending themselves.

It's an unequal measure of work for dubious returns.. since, obviously, you're not interested in that persons opinions, and are simply seeking to push buttons.

The point is obvious.. As for post history, your own is very.. enlightening, so don't be so quick to assume some position of being able to cast judgement on others.

But as I said, there's no point continuing with this, so I'll bow out, in the vain hope that you'll return to the thread, as opposed to slinging mud.

Its nice to see some posters showing common sense.

Common sense is as good as dead in current affairs forum latley sadly.

Common sense isn't particularly fashionable anywhere these days. Emotions rule, as does the associated guilt trips.

But race is a particular interest to both sides in the US.. It's not just the left that focus on it. The same is starting to become common in Europe too. It's the problem with identity politics.. it encourages race, gender, etc to become important rather than focus on humans in an equal manner.

Generally speaking the onus is on the person making the claim, to provide evidence to prove their claim.. because someone can clam anything at all, and it expect others to do all the work defending themselves.

There are some notable exceptions to the rule. The racism accusation being the most obvious - all the power is with the accuser in that situation. There is literally no acceptable defence to being accused of racism. That's why everybody jumps through hoops desperate to avoid being put into that position. It's such a social taboo, incredibly powerful.

I don't understand why the "some of my best friends are X....." defence is considered so laughable by the way. For some reason everyone just accepts that that's what all racists say. It's almost proof of racism in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

There's plenty of data out there if you'd look for it. It's well documented that african americans are targeting asian long before trump said
    " chinese virus" .

Like I said you have no such data two articles one about a particular area from nearly 10 years ago are not evidence of this.
    You might want to infer it because it backs up your racist ideas but you have no data to prove it.

There are some notable exceptions to the rule. The racism accusation being the most obvious - all the power is with the accuser in that situation. There is literally no acceptable defence to being accused of racism. That's why everybody jumps through hoops desperate to avoid being put into that position. It's such a social taboo, incredibly powerful.

I don't understand why the "some of my best friends are X....." defence is considered so laughable by the way. For some reason everyone just accepts that that's what all racists say. It's almost proof of racism in a way.

Because it is nearly always followed by or preceeded by obviously racist remarks. And it's only purpose is to attempt to validate those racist remarks that follow or preceeded it.

It used to be... when racism was a clearly defined set of behaviors/attitudes. Now, racism has been broadened to include so much more to the extent that it's lost that clearly defined nature. Now, there's plenty of defense against the claim of racism, because it's so often used by people in the wrong context.

Also socially, it's not such of a taboo anymore, because it's thrown around far more, again, in very dubious applications.

Personally, I would have been as you described, deeply offended at being called a racist. Now, though? Nope... because quite often it's used less for fact, and more as an emotional attack. The onus remains on the person making the claim, to prove the claim.

Ahh well... I find the people who sling the racist accusation at others, are just as quick to justify their position, by saying exactly the same thing. As if it provides them with some moral authority to make their claims.

It used to be... when racism was a clearly defined set of behaviors/attitudes. Now, racism has been broadened to include so much more to the extent that it's lost that clearly defined nature. Now, there's plenty of defense against the claim of racism, because it's so often used by people in the wrong context.

Also socially, it's not such of a taboo anymore, because it's thrown around far more, again, in very dubious applications.

Personally, I would have been as you described, deeply offended at being called a racist. Now, though? Nope... because quite often it's used less for fact, and more as an emotional attack. The onus remains on the person making the claim, to prove the claim.

Ahh well... I find the people who sling the racist accusation at others, are just as quick to justify their position, by saying exactly the same thing. As if it provides them with some moral authority to make their claims.

So you used to be down with racism but now your not sure what racism is anymore.

So you used to be down with racism but now your not sure what racism is anymore.

"You used to be down with racism"? What's that supposed to mean?

Oh. I still have very clear ideas of what racism involves.

• Advertisement

"You used to be down with racism"? What's that supposed to mean?

Oh. I still have very clear ideas of what racism involves.

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to physical appearance and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.

It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If klaz wasn't an atheist, I'd wonder if he was a saint, because he surely has the patience of one.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to physical appearance and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.

But in the current milieu that definition has been evolved to have many caveats, examples would be that people of colour cannot be racist, that math is racist, etc , etc..

WrenBoy wrote: »
    But in the current milieu that definition has been evolved to have many caveats, examples would be that people of colour cannot be racist, that math is racist, etc , etc..

Everyone can be racist. And no math is not racist don't be so ridiculous.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    If klaz wasn't an atheist, I'd wonder if he was a saint, because he surely has the patience of one.

Patron Saint of boards ALM posters

Everyone can be racist. And no math is not racist don't be so ridiculous.

Its not me you have to convince Robbie

Its not me you have to convince Robbie

You posted that utter nonsense, so do you believe it?

TomTomTim wrote: »

I'm agnostic.. not an Atheist. :D

I've taught students with special needs before. It's pretty similar here at times. :pac:

It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity

Grand. A definition of racism. Didn't ask for it, but sure. Thanks. Notice I was talking about the application of claims about racism before?

Now, what does "You used to be down with racism" mean?

I'm agnostic.. not an Atheist. :D

I've taught students with special needs before. It's pretty similar here at times. :pac:

So now your demeaning people of special needs by using them as an insult.
    Slow clap for Klaz.

• Advertisement

Slow clap for Klaz.

Where did I demean people with special needs? Your comprehension needs work.

I tend to be practical about my work. Many students with special needs struggle with comprehension, expressing themselves, clarity and eliciting responses. I see the same here sometimes. Notice, I previously used the word similar?

Grand. A definition of racism. Didn't ask for it, but sure. Thanks. Notice I was talking about the application of claims about racism before?

Now, what does "You used to be down with racism" mean?

It's subjective, you can infer any meaning you like.

You posted that utter nonsense, so do you believe it?

Seattle Schools Propose To Teach That Math Education Is Racist—Will California Be Far Behind?

Math Suffers From White Supremacy, According to a Bill Gates-Funded Course

The Myth of Reverse Racism- ACLRC

"Can people of color be racist?
    It depends on who you ask, and what your definition of racism is.

For some scholars, the answer is no. That’s because they define racism as a structural system that disadvantages nonwhite people because of their race — as opposed to racial prejudice, which is when people exhibit negative attitudes or bias towards others based on race.

Under those definitions, a Black person can be prejudiced against Black people. An Asian, Latinx, Middle Eastern or Native person can be prejudiced against any ethnic group, including White people.

But because racism is a system of advantage that benefits White people, the thinking goes, people of color can’t be racist because they don’t have the institutional power to oppress others.

“Racism requires the ability to deploy, or at least benefit from, power,” says Jamila Michener, an associate professor of government at Cornell University who researches racial inequality and poverty. “So people who can neither deploy nor benefit from power can’t be racist. They can be prejudiced, but they can’t be racist.” ..." - Harmeet Kaur, CNN
    https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2020/us/racism-questions-answers/?active=2

Doesn't matter if I believe it or not, thats whats being taught in society.

Doesn't matter if I believe it or not, thats whats being taught in society.

You posted it, so it is important to understand if you believe it?

It's subjective, you can infer any meaning you like.

Exactly! Well done. :D

I guess I can assume that you're not going to explain "You used to be down with racism" then, and it was a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Slow clap for Klaz.

Careful now...

You posted it, so it is important to understand if you believe it?

I believe that the lines of what racism is have become blurred and weaponised and can be applied to many different areas and issues.
    So do you see from the links I've provided you how your definition of racism no longer really applies in the real world, its meaning has been expanded and the lines blurred to encompass much more?

Exactly! Well done. :D

I guess I can assume that you're not going to explain "You used to be down with racism" then, and it was a mistake?

No it wasn't a mistake it was exactly what I intended to type. It was meant as a humorous take on your post about how you previously knew what racism was but don't anymore.

I even gave you a definition for racism in some other post. To help you understand again what it is.
    Ho hum.

I believe that the lines of what racism is have become blurred and weaponised and can be applied to many different areas and issues.
    So do you see from the links I've provided you how your definition of racism no longer really applies in the real world, its meaning has been expanded and the lines blurred to encompass much more?

What about the definition of racism I copied and posted does not apply.

And one last time do you believe math is racist and do disagree that everyone of all races can be racist?

• Advertisement

Careful now...

Down with this sort of thing.

Advertisement