Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

The daily mirror yesterday reporting about a young Irish soccer player being racially abused on instagram. It always seems most racists are at their bravest on the internet.
    I assume nothing will happen to the people who sent the racist abuse just like with rashford and indeed the Ian Wright case in our own courts.

All adults really should be standing up to denounce racism at every opportunity to show young people it is not acceptable.

The Republic of Ireland Under-19 star - who is currently on loan at Walsall - was targeted on social media last night.

But he was then bombarded with vile, racist messages on Instagram which he made public to highlight the abuse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/republic-ireland-youth-star-tyreik-23558183.amp

Patrick O'Brien who abused Ian Wright and got away with it was pretty shocking. I'm sure him and his family were mortified by the publicity of the entire incident but the judge letting him off was ridiculous. He sent really disgusting messages and should have been given some sort of conviction. This story above is also disgusting. Hopefully there is action taken and the person is located and hauled before the courts like the other lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Patrick O'Brien who abused Ian Wright and got away with it was pretty shocking. I'm sure him and his family were mortified by the publicity of the entire incident but the judge letting him off was ridiculous. He sent really disgusting messages and should have been given some sort of conviction. This story above is also disgusting. Hopefully there is action taken and the person is located and hauled before the courts like the other lad.

How long would you have wanted him put him in jail for ?

What would you suggest should be the punishment for insulting a celebrity about their appearance?

What sentence would you give?

WrenBoy wrote: »

Great minds.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

WrenBoy wrote: »

Suspended sentence.
    Or even put the conviction on hold and make him attend anti racism counselling at his own cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Detritus70 wrote: »
    The point is, what you see in the picture is the usual standard of living of people who complain that they are being oppressed because they are white.
    The type of people who complain that all lives matter.
    It's kind of obvious really.

I would interpret that picture as "I have nice stuff and I want to protect it".

The daily mirror yesterday reporting about a young Irish soccer player being racially abused on instagram. It always seems most racists are at their bravest on the internet.
    I assume nothing will happen to the people who sent the racist abuse just like with rashford and indeed the Ian Wright case in our own courts.

All adults really should be standing up to denounce racism at every opportunity to show young people it is not acceptable.

The Republic of Ireland Under-19 star - who is currently on loan at Walsall - was targeted on social media last night.

But he was then bombarded with vile, racist messages on Instagram which he made public to highlight the abuse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/republic-ireland-youth-star-tyreik-23558183.amp

I'm still waiting for you to provide examples of posts from posters here on boards seeing as you said most of us here think racism is ok.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for you to provide examples of posts from posters here on boards seeing as you said most of us here think racism is ok.

If you feel that description applies to you that is really your problem and not mine.
    If it doesn't apply to you move on and don't be so offended.

Regards
    Rob

Edit: interesting that on a post about a person being racially abused your biggest upset is someone being called a racist on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If you feel that description applies to you that is really your problem and not mine.

Regards
    Rob

Edit: interesting that on a post about a person being racially abused your biggest upset is someone being called a racist on the internet.

HAHAHA McCarthyism bull****.

Yours,
    Wren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Suspended sentence.
    Or even put the conviction on hold and make him attend anti racism counselling at his own cost.

What about the protestors who screamed white bastards at the customers locked into the shop during the george nkencho protests. Do you think they should have been arrested for using racist language ?

• Advertisement

I quoted the wrong post. I should have quoted the post below. You alleged that most of us here struggle to admit racism is wrong. I'm asking you to provide proof of that.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobbieTheRobber
    Spot on.
    Most of the posters in this thread struggle to even admit racism is wrong. All well intentioned people should be able to admit that without hesitation or caveat but instead its always what about this, what about that.

Most of the posters here won't admit racism is wrong? Really? Should be no bother for you to give some examples so.

I quoted the wrong post. I should have quoted the post below. You alleged that most of us here struggle to admit racism is wrong. I'm asking you to provide proof of that.

You're not going to get it.

He'll make these declarations about a poster or posters, then let it slide until the pages rack up, or deflect until it's forgotten.

Regards
    Rob

That's not true. I personally wouldn't want to post in a thread in which there was blatant racism.

I haven't seen racism like you described.

Please show evidence of racism.

I posted an article about racist abuse. You quoted it and you did not codemn the racism instead got offended because I said some posters on this thread are racist some pages back.

There is your example of what I'm saying.
    Condemn racism go on try it. It's quite cathartic.

That's not true. I personally wouldn't want to post in a thread in which there was blatant racism.

What racism did I describe?
    Apart from the articles I linked to showing actual racism.

I posted an article about racist abuse. You quoted it and you did not codemn the racism instead got offended because I said some posters on this thread are racist some pages back.

There is your example of what I'm saying.
    Condemn racism go on try it. It's quite cathartic.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

It goes without saying, I condem all racist attacks. Are you happy now? Doesn't matter if it's black on white, white on black, asian, etc. All racism is wrong.

By the way, I'm in no way offended that you didn't reply to my question. I'm just querying where you are getting the idea that most of us here don't think racism is wrong. And you don't seem to be able to back up this assertion.

You said there most posters won't admit racism is wrong. That would be racist.

Please show evidence or admit that you were lying.

Funny to think that "Black Lives Matter" riots and protests are part of a a movement, but "It's OK to be white" stickers were racist

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Just a couple of posts back:

Racism is a serious thing Rob, going around falsely accusing people of it is only going to dilute the meaning of the word.

You said there most posters won't admit racism is wrong. That would be racist.

Please show evidence or admit that you were lying.

You said I described racism. I repeat what racism did I describe?

• Advertisement

Just a couple of posts back:

Racism is a serious thing Rob, going around falsely accusing people of it is only going to dilute the meaning of the word.

Being racist and committing racism are different things.
    I have not accused any individual poster of racism. Please report any false accusations of racism to a moderator
    Regards
    Rob

New York times today continuing the reporting on racist attacks and abuse.
    Maggie Cheng could stand to watch the video only once.

“I’ve never cried like that before,” Ms. Cheng said, describing her reaction to security footage that showed her mother being shoved to the ground last week on a crowded street in Flushing, Queens. “To see my mother get thrown like that, she looks like a feather. She looks like a rag doll.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/nyregion/asian-hate-crimes-attacks-ny.html

Shocking stuff game played with no fans and yet still racists are there.
    Ibrahimovic did not play in the game but N1 regional television broadcast scenes of the Swede as the voice of a man chanting to him "stinky Balija" several times could be heard. The word is a pejorative name for Bosnian Muslims used by Serbian nationalists.

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/uefa-to-investigate-allegations-of-racist-abuse-towards-ac-milans-zlatan-ibrahimovic-9339861.html

You said I described racism. I repeat what racism did I describe?
    Most of the posters in this thread struggle to even admit racism is wrong. All well intentioned people should be able to admit that without hesitation or caveat but instead its always what about this, what about that.

This

That's racism?

That's shocking?

What does it mean?

Do you believe "Coca Cola" are racists?

This

Dunne that is not a description of a racist incident. That is my feelings on this thread.
    Am I allowed hold a personal opinion and express that opinion?

I have not accused anyone of racism!
    (If you have evidence of scurrilous accusations please report them to a moderator)

So can you please stop trying to drag the thread off topic by narrowly focusing on me (I mean thanks for all the attention but there is a bigger issue here. Endemic Racism in western society) and instead perhaps discuss any of the number of racist incidents I have highlighted over the past number of pages.

You can of course condemn those incidents or even refute the claim there are racially motivated. But really I don't deserve all your attention in a thread about racism.

Being racist and committing racism are different things.
    I have not accused any individual poster of racism. Please report any false accusations of racism to a moderator
    Regards
    Rob

You accused a majority of posters of racism.

You don't need to accuse a specific poster if your assertion encompasses a majority of posters.

By your standard, I would not be racist if I said most Muslims are terrorists as long as I didn't specify which one.

Dunne that is not a description of a racist incident. That is my feelings on this thread.
    Am I allowed hold a personal opinion and express that opinion?

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

As much as I am entitled to call you out on your opinion being based on nothing at all.

You stated that the majority of people here don't call out racism, implying a tacit acceptance and encouragement of racism.

That wasn't an opinion. That was a statement of fact. Which was wrong.

• Advertisement

You accused a majority of posters of racism.

Dunne I am going to stop responding to your badgering posts. You have not presented a single piece of evidence that I called posters racist.

If you have any such evidence the correct action is to report me to a moderator not to attempt to derail the thread.

Advertisement