Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Sure.. but I'm a little bemused by the assumption that people/posters are supposedly claiming that they understand what Black people face...

We can appreciate some of what they face, which provides a degree of perspective, because we've all experienced some forms of discrimination, and others have faced actual racism directed towards them while living/working in non-white nations.

This just seems like another attempt, in a long line of similar attempts, to shutdown opinions that don't match a certain theme.. ie. the BLM theme.

So.. I'm curious. Should all the non-black people who have supported BLM or been active in race related civil rights just shut up, and go home, because they don't know what it's like to be black?

You've talked about facing discrimination in Asia due to being white I believe? Wouldn't it be a bit weird if a non-white person came along and claimed that they knew more than you on that subject and said you were talking out of your a*se? You're the one with the experience and they are not right?

You've talked about facing discrimination in Asia due to being white I believe? Wouldn't it be a bit weird if a non-white person came along and claimed that they knew more than you on that subject and said you were talking out of your a*se? You're the one with the experience and they are not right?

haha... I have experienced that. :D With Asians talking about what it's like to be in the US, their issues with Whites and receiving aggressive attention from Black people. Then, they usually go on about how certain groups believe they have a monopoly on being victims of racism.. as if it's something that doesn't happen all around the world.

so... who claimed that they knew more about racism than Black people? I certainly haven't. There are different kinds of racism, just as how it manifests in the real world can be different. I've experienced all kinds of racism in China, but that doesn't mean that I know what it's like to be an African American in the US.. although I can appreciate some of what they might experience. That appreciation is not an expression of superior knowledge.

In any case, you're dodging again. You expect others to answer your questions, but rarely, respond to theirs directly.

I'm getting the feeling that this is like an earlier claim that was made about the thread/posters, but never actually backed up with quotes or evidence.

Klaz's life matters..

Klaz's life matters..

I'm pretty egalitarian. I genuinely don't care what color a person is, their life matters. Equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

When will you post an Anti-Asian attack story,were the aggression is done by a White person.

is that your only concern? instead of showing empathy for the victims you are annoyed by the fact that someone reports an article where the attackers are black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Who Will Get First Black Lives Matter UK Grants After £1m Fundraiser

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/black-lives-matter-uk-funding-revealed_uk_602ba983c5b6741597e48b2f
    The beneficiaries of a first-wave of grants are:
    Abahlali baseMjondolo (£14,650)
    All Black Lives (£5,000)
    Acts of Love International (£5,000)
    African Rainbow Family (£10,500)
    AZ Mag (£7,500)
    B’Me Cancer Communities (£15,000)
    Justice for Black Lives (£3,200)
    Independent Workers of Great Britain (£15,000)
    Northern Police Monitoring Project (£11,000)
    Sistah Space (£10,000)
    Sindicato de Manteros de Madrid (Street Vendors Union) (£7,500)
    A Tribe Named Athari (£5,000)
    United Voices of the World (£15,000)
    United Family and Friends Campaign (£45,000)
    The initial grants total £170,000 and a second round later this year will see that rise to £600,000 – half of the money received.

The remaining £600,000 will be spent on “building an anti-racist organisation that can scale up its existing community organising, educational work and direct actions”.

I genuinely don't care what color a person is
    British Spelling Matters :P

biko wrote: »
    British Spelling Matters :P

Ahh well, I teach American English in China.. that bleeds into how I write (and my auto-correct is set for the US, for the same reason).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Who Will Get First Black Lives Matter UK Grants After £1m Fundraiser

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/black-lives-matter-uk-funding-revealed_uk_602ba983c5b6741597e48b2f
    The beneficiaries of a first-wave of grants are:

The initial grants total £170,000 and a second round later this year will see that rise to £600,000 – half of the money received.

The remaining £600,000 will be spent on “building an anti-racist organisation that can scale up its existing community organising, educational work and direct actions”.

jasas im after googling a few of them ,
    that's some collection of racist far far left hate groups

one wants to shut down all policing in Manchester
    one is about illegal land seizure in south Africa
    another is a black supremist group in the states ,
    illegal Spanish street traders group ?
    group calling for black liberation in black led country's like ghana

what a horrible situation the world is in

Boy, 17, arrested after racist graffiti scrawled on Northern Quarter George Floyd mural

The stupidity of Racists. Thinking he could do is in a very high CCTV area. Caught but I wouldn't expect much punishment.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/boy-17-arrested-george-floyd-19922702

Probably wasn't racist eh the dunne probably just tasteless!

Chances are the guy was racist. Depends on what the "offensive" word was. I assume it was the bad N word but the report doesn't say.

• Advertisement

Chances are the guy was racist. Depends on what the "offensive" word was. I assume it was the bad N word but the report doesn't say.

hope its not another manufactured racist incident ,

seems to be quite a few of those made up racists around for media benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

For all we know he might have painted ‘All Lives Matter’. That is enough for some people to start spouting accusations of racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I admire Ibras stance on the matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/26/lebron-james-zlatan-ibrahimovic-criticism
    The Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic said sportspeople like Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James should quit sticking their nose into politics.

“I like him (James) a lot. He’s phenomenal, but I don’t like when people with a status speak about politics. Do what you’re good at doing,” Ibrahimovic told Uef and Discovery+ in Sweden.

“I play football because I’m the best playing football, I’m no politician. If I’d been a politician, I would be doing politics.

“This is the first mistake famous people do when they become famous: for me it is better to avoid certain topics and do what you’re good doing, otherwise you risk doing something wrongly.”

Interesting piece although it has nothing to do with BLM.
    Ibrahimovic did not play in the game but N1 regional television broadcast scenes of the Swede
    as the voice of a man chanting to him "stinky Balija" several times could be heard.

The word is a pejorative name for Bosnian Muslims used by Serbian nationalists.

Ahh well, I teach American English in China.. that bleeds into how I write (and my auto-correct is set for the US, for the same reason).

Before long we'll catch you saying pharmacy instead of chemist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Officers responded to a domestic violence related 911 call Friday night, according to the Walker County Sheriff’s Office. The caller was a man who said he was having an altercation with his mentally ill son, according to a source with knowledge of the events, WBRC reports.

https://twitter.com/Maddux4163/status/1365928037540372481?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1365928037540372481%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthepostmillennial.com%2Falabama-officer-shoots-unarmed-man-after-threats

Wresting an officer with a firearm is dumb. He didn't comply and now the lad is dead. Do we take the BLM stance and jump to the color of the shooter's skin? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

https://twitter.com/Maddux4163/status/1365928037540372481?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1365928037540372481%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthepostmillennial.com%2Falabama-officer-shoots-unarmed-man-after-threats

Wresting an officer with a firearm is dumb. He didn't comply and now the lad is dead. Do we take the BLM stance and jump to the color of the shooter's skin? :rolleyes:

Any of the sites I see it reported on haven't once mentioned the race of the officer or the guy. If only the media always took such non-race baiting approach. Mainstream probably won't even pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Any of the sites I see it reported on haven't once mentioned the race of the officer or the guy. If only the media always took such non-race baiting approach. Mainstream probably won't even pick it up.

Of course, they won't. African Americans are not capable of being racists. One of the main cheerleaders of CRT places Asian people at the same "level" as white people.

https://twitter.com/AsraNomani/status/1366258885103861767

Overall, nearly half of surveyed liberals (44 percent) estimated roughly between 1,000 and 10,000 unarmed black men were killed whereas 20 percent of conservatives estimated the same.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/27/cases-of-police-brutality-against-black-people-are-overestimated/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Overall, nearly half of surveyed liberals (44 percent) estimated roughly between 1,000 and 10,000 unarmed black men were killed whereas 20 percent of conservatives estimated the same.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/27/cases-of-police-brutality-against-black-people-are-overestimated/amp/

Just shows the power of the media snd and how misinformation has many forms . Remember a similar one saying they thought 10 percent of Americans had died from Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Only out by a factor of 40-400 in their guesses so.
    Making a mountain out of a molehill comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Participants across the political spectrum in the nationally representative survey were asked how many unarmed black men were killed by police in 2019. The results were revealing. ... the majority of respondents in each political category believed that police killed unarmed black men at an exponentially higher rate than in reality, the actual number of black men killed by the police in 2019 is 27.

Contrary to the Black Lives Matter narrative, the police have much more to fear from black males than black males have to fear from the police.
    In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer.

Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/one-day-youre-called-an-icon-the-next-a-threat-inaugural-poet-amanda-gorman-said-security-guard-questioned-if-she-lived-in-her-own-building-40165359.html

security guy does security guy stuff

turning every day interactions into race crimes and a nice little ego boost and some media visibility for herself

never mentioned the race of the security guy being paid to protect her either …..

The security guard was probably also black, or she would have made a point of him being white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/one-day-youre-called-an-icon-the-next-a-threat-inaugural-poet-amanda-gorman-said-security-guard-questioned-if-she-lived-in-her-own-building-40165359.html

security guy does security guy stuff

turning every day interactions into race crimes and a nice little ego boost and some media visibility for herself

never mentioned the race of the security guy being paid to protect her either …..
    "Anyone who speaks the truth and walks with hope is an obvious and fatal danger to the powers that be.”

The delusions of these people knows no bounds. The "powers that be" have been pushing BLM nonsense all last year. The fact that these people think that they are anti establishment is truly absurd.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

the actual number of black men killed by the police in 2019 is 27.

Should that say 27 is the number of unarmed black men killed by police or is that the total number of black men killed by police inclusive of those who were armed and unarmed?

Charlie Kirk, Turning Point USA, claimed that according to the Washington Post’s database police killed eight unarmed Black men in 2019.

A factchecker doublechecked and they arrived at 13 unarmed black men and 1 unarmed black woman killed by police in 2019.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/23/fact-check-how-many-unarmed-black-men-did-police-kill-2019/5322455002/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Charlie Kirk, Turning Point USA, claimed that according to the Washington Post’s database police killed eight unarmed Black men in 2019.

A factchecker doublechecked and arrived at 13 unarmed black men and 1 unarmed black woman killed by police in 2019.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/23/fact-check-how-many-unarmed-black-men-did-police-kill-2019/5322455002/

And sometimes killing an unarmed man may be justified, e.g. he has his hands around your throat and is choking you or he is reaching to try and steal your gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

This is the exact type of thing people think is happening with the far right in Ireland, expect on a much, much larger scale. Misinformation being drilled into people's heads that it becomes fact to them. I've actually heard people I know say "When black people are being shot indiscriminately on the streets every day" and such. It's just not true and it's really dangerous.
    Kamala Harris asserted, “Why in this nation do black Americans wake up knowing they could lose their life in the course of just living their life?” In the aftermath of Ahmed Arbery’s tragic killing early in 2020, NBA superstar Lebron James tweeted, “We’re literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!”

This is why those stats are dangerous. These quotes are outrageously provocative. They back up the idea that as a black person you can and might get randomly gunned down in the street by the police when in reality you will not.

I was once mugged on Talbot Street as an young teen, I didn't go back into town for a couple of years, I was scared. It didn't matter where in town something was on, I didn't want to go, so I stayed at home and missed out. I've barely had anyone say boo to me in the many, many years since I got over that fear. The point is, black people shouldn't fear going outside because they might be shot the police but the vice president and Lebron James are telling them they should fear, they shouldn't feel safe outside, that they are being "hunted". I feel that is irresponsible and wrong.

Advertisement