Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

biko wrote: »
    Speaking of BLM founder Patrisse Cullors, she has stepped down officially.
    https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-57279346

With all the dough :pac:

Clicked on the link and got the cookies thing :
    "Let us know say you agree to cookies
    We use cookies to give you di best online experience. Abeg let us know if you gree to all od dif cookies dem.

Yes, I agree
    No, cari me go settings" hahaha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Speaking of BLM founder Patrisse Cullors, she has stepped down officially.
    https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-57279346

Why did you share it in pidgin?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Were they really her words..... Oh dear god these people are insane.

No they weren't her words. Biko shared it in Pidgin, either for the lolz or for some other unknown reason.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57277777

they/them/theirs

That pidgin thing is brilliant. Has it always been a thing?

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Isn't it weird how Japanese Americans were put in concentration camps by their countrymen within the living memory of people alive today and yet they have managed to thrive and not hold a grudge?

Are you kidding me? They absolutely hold a grudge and rightly so. You can't compare a few years on injustice to 400 years of injustice. The impacts are completely different.
    Isnt it weird how Jews are some of the most successful people on Earth despite an attempt to end them as a race and by and large do not blame modern day Germans?

The main issue that American Black people face is the toxic culture they grow up surrounded by inside their own community. No amount of reparations or BLM marches will change their lack of advancement until they change their culture

This "toxic culture" is a large part of the problem. It wasn't created in a vacuum.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

It's a common way of communicating in Africa. What's brilliant about it?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Brian? wrote: »

Its very funny in fairness especially when read on the BBC site when they are trying to give this air of seriousness reportage

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was first result I saw on web search, hope pidgin is ok for you?

It's pleasing to read.

Cool yer jets inspector. You wont find the racism you are looking for here.

No it wasn't. I'll leave you to your nonsense though

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

It's pleasing to read.

Cool yer jets inspector. You wont find the racism you are looking for here.

I didn't say it was racism. It's ignorance, but i wouldn't class it as racism.

they/them/theirs

I didn't say it was racism. It's ignorance, but i wouldn't class it as racism.

Ignorance?

Care to explain why?

I admit, I was ignorant to the fact that the setting existed. Is that what you mean?

Ignorance?

Care to explain why?

I admit, I was ignorant to the fact that the setting existed. Is that what you mean?

That's exactly what I meant. Yes.

There are 75,000,000 people who speak Pidgin as a first language and many multiples of that who use it as a common language in Africa. I'm surprised people don't known it exists

they/them/theirs

It's here - the BBC link. I won't hold my breath for an apology...
    Screenshot-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Ignorance?

Care to explain why?

You're meant to know everything in the world ever

That's exactly what I meant. Yes.

There are 75,000,000 people who speak Pidgin as a first language and many multiples of that who use it as a common language in Africa. I'm surprised people don't known it exists

I knew the language existed. I didn't know the BBC had a feature that changed their site into it.

We both know you were just waiting for an opportunity to jump at anything you could even slightly call racist though.

Unfortunately for you, nobody bit.

Don't lie.

No they weren't her words. Biko shared it in Pidgin, either for the lolz or for some other unknown reason.

Definitely not angling for a bite...

Allow? It’s not up to me to allow or not allow. I prefer to discuss things that are relevant to the discussion at hand though.

Some of the worst racism I’ve ever heard was a black African speaking about different black Africans. That’s irrelevant thought when discussing the systemic racism that BLM is a response to.

I meant allow in the sense that you would disengage with the person, and the discussion would be unable to proceed between you and that person.

The African slave traders are just as responsible as the European ones for the systematic racism that these slaves endured. Secondly, BLM is proposed as a worldwide movement. As such, the black slave trade should be at the forefront of the discussion, particularly taking into account its continued existence today in Africa.

That of course assuming that supporters of BLM actually care about black lives as a whole, as opposed to Western black lives, predominantly in Anglo-phone countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

To quote another poster, "You've got the patience of a Saint young man!"

I don't need to angle. Theres plenty of bigotry to go round.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Are you kidding me? They absolutely hold a grudge and rightly so. You can't compare a few years on injustice to 400 years of injustice. The impacts are completely different.

This "toxic culture" is a large part of the problem. It wasn't created in a vacuum.

Proof of widescale Japanese American blaming white people for their problems please?

Irish people were oppressed for nearly a millenia, viewed as a lesser race, had their culture and language stamped out, made intentured servants and committed genocide on. (within last 170 years). Am I allowed to loot a shop and blame all my failings on the English man?

Another problem is with this marxist oppressed/oppressor worldview, Marxism has caused more human misery than any ideology in history while capitalism has improved humanity in almost every metric. (Read Steven Pinker)

So black people have no part to play in the problems they face, that's awfully convenient....

I don't need to angle. Theres plenty of bigotry to go round.

Lol.

Vague and scurrilous accusations about nobody in particular in order to show personal virtue.

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Cordell wrote: »
    Even so. We can't blame them more than the people that actually enslaved the slaves. It's like blaming drug users for the drug trade, like blaming joe here in Ireland that his coke habit is what gets people killed in Colombia.

In any case, those white slave owners, black slaves and black slave traders are long dead now. There are black slaves still enslaved by black slavers and owned by black owners, this is happening today and it has real consequences in Africa, and not something that happened hundreds of years ago.

But it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brian? critizing folks for generalizing when they talk about "African" slave traders.

Also Brian? - African Americans presented as a homogeneous group.

Unless they came from an African country, they're Americans. Hyphenating them promotes division and a segregationist viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Lol.

Vague and scurrilous accusations about nobody in particular in order to show personal virtue.

Sounds about right.

sounds more about left ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

So, basically after fighting against capitalism, she made enough money to buy a few millions dollar properties and retired.

Makes perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    So, basically after fighting against capitalism, she made enough money to buy a few millions dollar properties and retired.

Makes perfect sense

Nothing screams that you're against capitalism and white privilege as buying million dollar mansions in white neighborhoods. I follow basketball and am on a predominantly black forum in the US. Most posters have no time for have BLM anymore when compared to their attitudes a year ago . They were also extremely annoyed to see a lot BLM donating lots of funds to trans/LGBT groups aswell. Many off the posts regarding the issue would have gotten you an automatic ban from boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Considering murders in Portland rose 800% it's probably a good idea to have police.

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Considering murders in Portland rose 800% it's probably a good idea to have police.

image.jpg

Can you post a source and a bit of context on that graphic?

Advertisement