Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

iamstop wrote: »
    This is one of the most blatant examples of white fragility you'll find.
    I know, right? It's difficult these days to find that middle ground between white supremacy and white fragility, I seem to be either one or the other, never in the middle.
    I feel bad for you.
    Thank you, it means the world to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

This is one of the most blatant examples of white fragility you'll find.
    You feel personally attacked by someone taking a knee? Pathetic. I feel bad for you.

by that you mean, white people pointing out the obvious racism against them?
    In traditional terms that's called double standard

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    by that you mean, white people pointing out the obvious racism against them?
    In traditional terms that's called double standard

Hahaha. No. Not at all lad. Not even close.

Hahaha. No. Not at all lad. Not even close.

Black person being discriminated = racism
    White person being discriminated = white fragility

double stardard? no, not even close
    yeah mate, whatever really

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as someone isn't pressured to kneel I think it's ok if others want to kneel.

718140.jpg

• Advertisement

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Black person being discriminated = racism
    White person being discriminated = white fragility

Please point to the parts where someone taking a knee is discriminating against someone, doesn't even have to be a white person. While you're there, please also point to the parts where peaceful BLM marches are discriminating against anyone.

The white fragility comes from the fact that when black people peacefully protest the disproportionate policing of white and black people you somehow land on it as racist against white people. The mind boggles.

Or is taking a knee not peaceful enough for you?

Please point to the parts where someone taking a knee is discriminating against someone, doesn't even have to be a white person. While you're there, please also point to the parts where peaceful BLM marches are discriminating against anyone.

The white fragility comes from the fact that when black people peacefully protest the disproportionate policing of white and black people you somehow land on it as racist against white people. The mind boggles.

Racism against white people exists and is being promoted and taught in schools, in the name of fight against white fragility
    it's disgusting that people even spends time defending it

peaceful BLM marches
    Did you manage to keep a straight face?

Cordell wrote: »
    Did you manage to keep a straight face?

Way to dodge the very clear and pointed question with an irrelevant quip or sorts.

How is taking a knee discriminatory towards white people?

How is taking a knee discriminatory towards white people?
    By showing support to BLM, a black supremacist violent organization.

• Advertisement

By showing support to BLM, a black supremacist violent organization.

Too bad that's all wrong. You're so deep in the fragility you can't even see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Too bad that's all wrong. You're so deep in the fragility you can't even see it.

When you're the one with racist views, but. You're so deep you can't even see it.

Can you explain what white fragility means?

I'm not too sure what point you are trying to get across. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I cringe every time I see that phrase used.

I cringe every time I see that phrase used.

I don't cringe. I'm genuinely interested.

Ive only seen it on here.

There is a book by Robin DiAngelo, a white female author, about it.

I assume it's about herself.

s-top.jpg

One of the most toxic books of recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

As a result of Police resources being reduced for the city of Oakland in 2021, shootings are up 70%, robberies 11% and carjacking 88%. There has been 65 people killed this year so far as a result of shootings, robberies, jacking and sexual assaults

Chief Armstrong Oakland PD
    "We find ourselves in a crisis. We find ourselves reeling from a weekend of violence where we have seen four homicides over a three-day period. It now has us currently at 65 homicides for the year - that's a 90% increase compared to last 2020,"

The insanity of defunding the police and decreasing law enforcement budgets in cities like this is directly responsible for these increases in crime we have seen this year. Many innocent people. Of course, the simpletons still think they're eliminating racism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

As a result of Police resources being reduced for the city of Oakland in 2021, shootings are up 70%, robberies 11% and carjacking 88%. There has been 65 people killed this year so far as a result of shootings, robberies, jacking and sexual assaults

Chief Armstrong Oakland PD

The insanity of defunding the police and decreasing law enforcement budgets in cities like this is directly responsible for these increases in crime we have seen this year. Many innocent people. Of course, the simpletons still think they're eliminating racism
    There's nothing wrong with defunding the police in the US. So long as the money is instead used to go to agencies that deal with things like domestic violence, rape, child welfare rather than having the police do all that, which they're not trained for the most part in the first place.

My understanding around these places that took funding away from the police is that;
    - The money that was taken off the police was not put into other agencies, so in effect there are less resources overall.
    - Most people regardless of race in those cities did not want the police to receive less funding, but politicians did it anyway
    - Any other agencies that did receive funding were not granted extra powers to cover the authority left by the police
    - That other agencies and the police rarely work together as they compete for resources, rather than there being a whole overhead plan in place

It would seem to me, from the outside looking in, that defunding the police in the US is only popular in the minority of people, that there is little support for other agencies to assist police with social/welfare problems, and that politicians don't seem to know how to put in place plans to replace the work that police do with an effective alternate.

Again, this is from the outside looking in.

From that perspective, it looks like defunding the police is a bad move. Perhaps a better alternative would be to take away of paying vast sums for some of the pointless hardware such as machine guns/swat gear/tanks etc and a small bit of police funding and put the money into proper police training which lacks behind so many other countries, and bring in proper common sense laws?

There's nothing wrong with defunding the police in the US
    Of course, only 65 people died in Oakland but it's a sacrifice you're willing to make...
    The money that was taken off the police was not put into other agencies
    The placards the chanting they all said "defund the police", not "defund the police and use the savings to fund other agencies"

• Advertisement

Of course, only 65 people died in Oakland but it's a sacrifice you're willing to make...
    You don't seem to have read the rest of the point.

You forgot the other very salient point of "so long as the money is instead used to go to agencies that deal with things like domestic violence, rape, child welfare rather than having the police do all that, which they're not trained for the most part in the first place."

Had these things being in place and had to operate in concert with police in the first place, the 65 dead might not happen. But if they're not in place, then why defund the police who are doing the job?
    The placards the chanting they all said "defund the police", not "defund the police and use the savings to fund other agencies"

And therein lies the crux of the problem of defunding the police.

If you're not going to use the funds taken from the police to tackle social problems and ease the pressure on the police, then you're going to have to fund the police that deal with the inevitable problems that lack of social support brings.

Simply reducing social resources without bringing in an effective alternative is going to lead to serious problems, as exampled by the Oakland figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If there's no replacement for the police in place, then 'defunding the police' is a stupid move.

Taking funds from the police and investing them in activities that tackle social problems also takes years and years to show any effect. In the meantime the slaughter continues.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If there's no replacement for the police in place, then 'defunding the police' is a stupid move.

Exactly. A simpler, more to-the-point point that I was trying to make above.

They asked for something, they got that exact something, people lost their lives.
    Any attempt to defend these lunatics is at least misguided. They got exactly what they wanted, end of.

There is a small percent of white people who feel attacked when black people make efforts to have their equal rights respected. Saying things like taking a knee is discriminatory and racist against whites.
    Hard to wrap the mind around how you can construe a peaceful protest as an racist attack on white people but you've only to back a few pages to read exactly that.

I can only speak for me but I do feel attacked when I see things like this.
    Maybe I'm just fragile.

All-white-people-are-racist-620x349.jpg

When i posted a similar link to a black guy killing white people i received a warning
    Have the rules changed?

You'll have to report posts you find problematic. Forum mods cannot be expected to see your post otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

There is a small percent of white people who feel attacked when black people make efforts to have their equal rights respected. Saying things like taking a knee is discriminatory and racist against whites.
    Hard to wrap the mind around how you can construe a peaceful protest as an racist attack on white people but you've only to back a few pages to read exactly that.

We pretty much all want True Equality,
    But when there is so much media content about Black Domination of White people, then please explain How we are meant to feel!!

Advertisement