Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Look, I'm not against some of the aims of BLM. I'm in favour of black people getting fair play from the Police in the US. But there are certainly elements of BLM that I am not in favour of.

Totally agree, and I wager that's the same headspace the Olympian shares, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Overheals threadban lifted after discussion via PM

Oh ****. Bill Cosby and Overheal in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I would have agreed if the England players weren't making the exact same gesture in support of the BLM, mere weeks ago, with BLM logos emblazoned on the television.

The BLM logos haven't been emblazoned on the television for a full season. All references to BLM were dropped and replaced with "No room for racism" at the start of the 2020-21 season.

Ahwell wrote: »
    The BLM logos haven't been emblazoned on the television for a full season. All references to BLM were dropped and replaced with "No room for racism" at the start of the 2020-21 season.

Not in the football stadiums.

There are still many games where the BLM logo is visible.

Visible where, in the crowd or in a position of club sponsorship?

• Advertisement

Where? The Premier League dropped the Black Lives Matter slogan in September 2020.

Genuine question, did the Premier League ever explain why they dropped the BLM slogan?

Genuine question, did the Premier League ever explain why they dropped the BLM slogan?

Do they issue a press release when they change out the Carlsberg ads for the Budweiser ads?

Overheal wrote: »
    Do they issue a press release when they change out the Carlsberg ads for the Budweiser ads?

You think that's an equivalent comparison?

Visible where, in the crowd or in a position of club sponsorship?

Where the crowd would have been.

• Advertisement

So not a club or commercial endorsement?

You think that's an equivalent comparison?

Well you seem to expect the clubs to by some standard, issue explanations for why they add or remove branding and other endorsements. Do you feel entitled to an explanation when they add or remove slogans?

Where "the crowd would have been" was different for every stadium. The only thing I can remember seeing were banners about the home club.

Well you seem to expect the clubs to by some standard, issue explanations for why they add or remove branding and other endorsements. Do you feel entitled to an explanation when they add or remove slogans?

I took a quick look online and didn't see anything about why they removed it. So I asked a genuine question here, I even prefaced it as such. Tbh, if you don't have the answer or don't want to give it I don't know why you're replying. I'm genuinely interested on what if anything the Premier League had to say on the matter. Call that entitled all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I don't get it

unsurprisingly

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    unsurprisingly

Please explain?

I took a quick look online and didn't see anything about why they removed it. So I asked a genuine question here, I even prefaced it as such. Tbh, if you don't have the answer or don't want to give it I don't know why you're replying. I'm genuinely interested on what if anything the Premier League had to say on the matter. Call that entitled all you want.

I didn't call it entitled, I asked if you felt entitled, and even prefaced it as such. I figured you would appreciate that, given your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm delighted to see more of this blatant hypocrisy being called out.
    They are the exact thing they accuse you of.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9751521/Olympian-Gwen-Berrys-tweets-decade-ago-reveal-history-rape-jokes-tweets-mocking-white-people.html
    Flag-snubbing 'activist athlete' Gwen Berry's history of racially-charged rape jokes and tweets mocking white, Mexican and Asian people.

Posts also include ill-judged jokes about rape, suggestions she would 'stomp on a child', as well as using the word 'retarded', widely seen as being offensive and disrespectful.

The revelations come after Berry turned her back last weekend when the national anthem was being played after her Olympic qualifier.

Toward the end of the anthem, Berry picked up a black T-shirt with the words 'Activist Athlete' emblazoned on the front, and draped it over her head.

Berry previously protested during competition against racism, most recently raising a fist at the trials on Thursday, and said that she felt insulted by the Star-Spangled Banner playing as she took the podium.

Berry has promised to use her position to keep raising awareness about social injustices in her home country.

'My purpose and my mission is bigger than sports,' Berry said.

'I'm here to represent those ... who died due to systemic racism. That's the important part.

'That's why I'm going. That's why I'm here today.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9751521/Olympian-Gwen-Berrys-tweets-decade-ago-reveal-history-rape-jokes-tweets-mocking-white-people.html

It's so sad. The likes of her and others have set the bar for being offended so low, that's impossible to not clear it.

Clown world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Motion seeks evidence of past violence at Rittenhouse trial

KENOSHA, Wis. (AP) -- Prosecutors in Wisconsin want a judge to allow evidence at Kyle Rittenhouse's trial that shows he had a previous violent encounter in Kenosha before he fatally shot two men and injured another during a police brutality protest last year.

The state's motion filed in Kenosha County Circuit Court also seeks to show Rittenhouse was associated with the Proud Boys, a violent white power extremist group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only way to go from Defund the Police to Refund the Police is switching from “D” to “R”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

biko wrote: »
    The only way to go from Defund the Police to Refund the Police is switching from “D” to “R”.

Meanwhile in the real world.

"Thanks to President Biden and Democrats’ leadership passing the American Rescue Plan, police departments across the county now have access to $350 billion in funding."

How many republicans voted for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Meanwhile in the real world.

"Thanks to President Biden and Democrats’ leadership passing the American Rescue Plan, police departments across the county now have access to $350 billion in funding."

How many republicans voted for it?

Can you show me where in the act $350B is earmarked for police departments and law enforcement only across the country and not to make up state, local, and tribal government budget shortfalls?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

biko wrote: »

That's funny.

Bear in mind a prominent host on the Republican propaganda channel wanted to defund the military because one of it's generals expressed a belief in being fully informed. Republicans can change their outlook faster than the weather.

And as others have said, no Republican voted for bill in which funding is allocated for policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think might just be one incident where some here will finally accept racism within the police. Although they might just buy his story that it was a joke.

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1411067221686865923

Brings to mind what Will Smith said; 'racism isn't getting worse, it's getting recorded.'

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Brings to mind what Will Smith said; 'racism isn't getting worse, it's getting recorded.'

And isn't that great. The one shouting ' white bastards ' at people in a shop in Dublin a while ago got away with her racism even though that too was recorded.

Ah well win some lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

She didn't seem to bothered smiling and holding the flag in 2015 . People in glass houses....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I think might just be one incident where some here will finally accept racism within the police. Although they might just buy his story that it was a joke.

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1411067221686865923

Quick disband the 700,000 law enforcement officers in the states . Do you think all the garda are bent when one gets arrested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually the fact that there was a black officer at the receiving end of this bad joke kind of proves that the police as a institution is not racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Her racism is recorded as well. That's great to see. Will Smith will be delighted.

Advertisement