Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Penn wrote: »
    "If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, that's not progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. Progress is healing the wound that the blow made. They haven't pulled the knife out; they won't even admit that it's there." -Malcolm X.

Biko's point is stupid because it ignores all the factors why POCs might move to America. Yes, once they move to America, chances are their lives are much better. Chances are they face far fewer hardships than they did previously. Chances are they have much better opportunities than they did previously. Chances are they're far happier.

That doesn't negate the fact they still might be subject to racism. That doesn't negate the fact that even though they have more opportunities than they did before, that they have less opportunities than other people because of the colour of their skin, or their nationality.

The knife may not be as deep in their back, but biko's argument imo is saying the knife isn't there.

Racism is an intrinsic aspect of humanity. Acting like there is any society where it wouldn't be present is ludicrous. There's a fundamental difference between experiencing bigotry on an individual level versus the mechanism of the society being explicitly discriminatory. BLM would have you believe that the US is systemically racist, because racism exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cordell wrote: »
    Yet there is no proof that it's still happening today.

I disagree. What standard for proof would you like to have set?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, that's not progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. Progress is healing the wound that the blow made. They haven't pulled the knife out; they won't even admit that it's there." -Malcolm X.

He was right, but the knife was pulled years ago and the wound was dressed. What BLM and CRT is doing now is constantly picking at scabs to keep it from healing.

Overheal wrote: »
    I disagree. What standard for proof would you like to have set?

You claim that it is easily demonstrated, you should have no problem posting a proof.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yet there is no proof that it's still happening today.
    Racism is an intrinsic aspect of humanity. Acting like there is any society where it wouldn't be present is ludicrous. There's a fundamental difference between experiencing bigotry on an individual level versus the mechanism of the society being explicitly discriminatory. BLM would have you believe that the US is systemically racist, because racism exists.

There is demonstrably systemic racism. If you want to get scientific about it there's hundreds of articles in research journals with some of the highest impact factors such as the Lancet amongst others.

To deny there is systemic racism is pants on head ignorant on the level of a flat earther or climate change denier.

The evidence is there, it's published, it's peer reviewed and a quick google will pull it up so you can educate yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You claim that it is easily demonstrated, you should have no problem posting a proof.

Put this in google scholar search:

'systemic racism in america'

I find this comment interesting because afaik that's one of the underlying principles of Critical Race Theory, the topic that is causing all the coverage you take umbrage to: the idea that racism is socially constructed. Conservatives are incensed at this sentiment, slandering it as 'undercover Marxism' etc. to acknowledge that racism is an 'intrinsic aspect of humanity' as 'there's [not] any society where it wouldn't be present.' They've been using it IMHO as a scapegoat for their woes, blaming the summer protests and Derek Chauvin's conviction on CRT.

So in that case, what is your own take on the CRT buzz? Because for my part I hear a lot of demagoguery in the headlines but when you pare it down people all more or less seem to have no strong counter-arguments to the underlying academia with people finding more common ground than not. I'd love to hear others' thoughts as well, since I don't know how much of the CRT debate is bloviating its way across the Atlantic.

He was right, but the knife was pulled years ago and the wound was dressed. What BLM and CRT is doing now is constantly picking at scabs to keep it from healing.

[citation needed]

Retr0gamer wrote: »

This is not a proof, to get me searching for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Repo101

The whole argument of systematic racism has boiled down to racism for me, but not for thee. The same people failing to provide any evidence of systematic racism are the same people looking to introduce systematic racism into legislation allowing government and private businesses to openly discriminate against white people to employ minorities.

These are the same types whose political stance could only be defined as permanently outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's not an argument, it's simply outsourcing thinking. You should be able to argue these point by yourself, since are you're so convinced of your position.
    Any such papers will likely do what they always to, use correlations to reach causations. Many of them will try and convince you that the rate of imprisoned African Americans is proof of racism, yet all that it is actually proof of, is that they commit a high amount of crime.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

"What The Dunne Retr0gamer said was pretty much on the money."

[laughtrack.wav]

I will repeat the required prerequisite question to your demand for what you consider to be proof: What standard for proof would you like to have set? I am working under the assumption that what you would be satisfied with as proof and what I would, may tend to materially differ. So, in order to answer your solicitation for proof, I need you to define what your standard for proof is, in order to fulfill the request.

(further reading: NDT on higher dimensions, and the philosophy of Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_HPAXwJFw)

TomTomTim wrote: »
    That's not an argument, it's simply outsourcing thinking. You should be able to argue these point by yourself, since are you're so convinced of your position

Thank you. A point I felt I made abundantly clear the other day as well.

This is not a proof, to get me searching for one.

Actually it is. If you want to to not search for it and read up on it then your ignorance of it is on you. However also know that ignorance is no excuse to proclaiming that there is no evidence of something when presented with a trove of said evidence.

Just because you can't be arsed to look and educate yourself doesn't mean there's no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

You see, even after slavery ended and whites could not become filthy rich off the backs of the slave, they simply arrested those slaves and put them back to work under institutionalized slavery. In this way whites continued to expand their wealth vs. the minorities who were rounded up and jailed, unable to build wealth and used to do hard labor whites would have otherwise had to pay for. This wealth disparity can still be seen today, with more whites than other races inheriting the lions share of generational wealth.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_gang

So the slaves were arrested when slavery ended, and forcibly put to work?!
    No, they mostly became sharecroppers. Over time many migrated to the cities of the North for alternative work.

That's not to say that some people didnt suffer terribly from this now famous line in the 13th ammendment: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

If were debating here. Its better for the poster to put forth a view they support, or a specific link. Otherwise we may end up debating different things.
    Systemic racism is easily demonstrated. You seem to be of the misconception that to be systemic that it would apply unfavorable outcomes to everyone based on their race, and that any single person (Barack Obama) or group (Post civil war Nigerians) succeeding where others and other groups have not, proves that there is not systemic racism. That's not a sound basis for argument. That's like saying the Miami Condo didn't collapse because some of it was still standing

I think it would be a good idea for you to demonstrate how the USA is systematically racist. And also compare how others countries do this better or worse.
    And if you are right about the US being systematically racist, do you think something should/can be done to fix this?

donaghs wrote: »
    I think it would be a good idea for you to demonstrate how the USA is systematically racist. And also compare how others countries do this better or worse.
    And if you are right about the US being systematically racist, do you think something should/can be done to fix this?

Why would we require that component? Racism on Mars happens regardless if on Pluto they rape and behead everyone with 2 eyebrows.

I've previously demonstrated loads in this thread, from last year, and it fell on deaf ears. So, before I do any sort of demonstrating I would like to pause and get clarification on what we are agreeing to as a standard of evidence, otherwise everything proceeding will be a complete waste of our collective time again.

That's not an argument, it's simply outsourcing thinking. You should be able to argue these point by yourself, since are you're so convinced of your position.
    Any such papers will likely do what they always to, use correlations to reach causations. Many of them will try and convince you that the rate of imprisoned African Americans is proof of racism, yet all that it is actually proof of, is that they commit a high amount of crime.

I'm a person on the internet. So are you. I've referred you to the experts in their field.

It's up to you to take their word for it or not.

If you want my opinion on the matter I could give it but I think the respected scientists in their field and their work that is under the scrutiny of peer review will give an well researched answers that will hold more water.

Unless anyone here has actually done research into systemic racism and published peer reviewed work? If so I'm all ears.

I will repeat the required prerequisite question to your demand for what you consider to be proof: What standard for proof would you like to have set?
    Post one and we'll go from there. We are here to discuss, why are you shying away?
    I am working under the assumption that what you would be satisfied with as proof and what I would
    There is no base for that assumption as you are yet to post a proof.

So actual hard figures and statistics to back them up won't cut it for you as proof. Figure that have been peer reviewed.

As a counter point, that hard evidence including figures and statistics or something that's even more irrefutable show that there isn't systemic racism in america

I've provided my evidence of systemic racism.

Show me the evidence that there isn't.

Show me the evidence that there isn't.

There is a teapot orbiting between Jupiter and Uranus. Show me evidence that there isn't.

• Advertisement

Post one and we'll go from there. We are here to discuss, why are you shying away?

There is no base for that assumption as you are yet to post a proof.

You're very specifically asking for a "proof." I'm an academic. I'm an engineer. We don't even have a proof for gravity, do we? No. We still have mere speculations about how gravity actually works. You're asking me for a "proof" of a complex system like the United States being racist.

To begin, we in the discussion need to first agree to certain definitions, before we go farther along: the definition of racism, for example, or what are we defining as the scope of "The System" under analysis? What are the boundaries of the control volume? The United States government? Federal, State, or Local? Culture, history, economics? Private and public? National and international? Civilian and/or military? From when to when: the start of time, 1619, 1776, 1964, ​2021?

I've certainly however seen tranches of evidence that form the basis for arguing that the system of policing in the US, for instance, is functionally racist: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/opinions/systemic-racism-police-evidence-criminal-justice-system/

Since you posted a video of him, he doesn't like the fact people see his colour first and his qualifications second:
    http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/a-conversation-with-neil-degrasse-tyson-about-cosmos-race-and-celebrity/

I'm an engineer as well, so we share the standards for proof. Please proceed :)
    (if there is anything in the link you posted, it's behind a paywall)

Since you posted a video of him, he doesn't like the fact people see his colour first and his qualifications second:
    http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/a-conversation-with-neil-degrasse-tyson-about-cosmos-race-and-celebrity/

I'm an engineer as well, so we share the standards for proof. Please proceed :)
    (if there is anything in the link you posted, it's behind a paywall)

I've never seen his color first. Anyway, he was opining/philosophizing in the video, requiring no special qualifications (or identity).

eg. the Tranch/Article's section on Juries (note: the whole article is not exclusively about police, it covers criminal justice):
    Juries and jury selection
    Though the Supreme Court made it illegal for prosecutors to exclude prospective jurors because of race in the 1986 case Batson v. Kentucky, that ruling has largely gone unenforced. The New Yorker reported in 2015 that in the approximately 30 years since the ruling, courts have accepted the flimsiest excuses for striking black jurors and that prosecutors have in turn trained subordinates how to strike black jurors without a judicial rebuke. A 2010 report by the Equal Justice Initiative documented cases in which courts upheld prosecutors’ dismissal of jurors because of allegedly race-neutral factors such as affiliation with a historically black college, a son in an interracial marriage, living in a black-majority neighborhood or that a juror “shucked and jived.”

There are no comprehensive national data on the rate at which prosecutors strike black jurors, but there have been quite a few regional studies.
    • A study of criminal cases from 1983 and 1993 found that prosecutors in Philadelphia removed 52 percent of potential black jurors vs. only 23 percent of nonblack jurors.
    • Between 2003 and 2012, prosecutors in Caddo Parish, La. — one of the most aggressive death penalty counties in the country — struck 46 percent of prospective black jurors with preemptory challenges, vs. 15 percent of nonblacks.
    • Between 1994 and 2002, Jefferson Parish prosecutors struck 55 percent of blacks, but just 16 percent of whites. Although blacks make up 23 percent of the population, 80 percent of criminal trials had no more than two black jurors in a state where it takes only 10 of 12 juror votes to convict.
    • A 2011 study from Michigan State University College of Law found that between 1990 and 2010, state prosecutors struck about 53 percent of black people eligible for juries in criminal cases, vs. about 26 percent of white people. The study’s authors concluded that the chance of this occurring in a race-neutral process was less than 1 in 10 trillion. Even after adjusting for excuses given by prosecutors that tend to correlate with race, the 2-to-1 discrepancy remained. The state legislature had previously passed a law stating that death penalty defendants who could demonstrate racial bias in jury selection could have their sentences changed to life without parole. The legislature later repealed that law.
    • In June 2018, American Public Media’s “In the Dark” podcast did painstaking research on the 26-year career of Mississippi District Attorney Doug Evans and found that over the course of his career, Evans’s office struck 50 percent of prospective black jurors, vs. just 11 percent of whites.
    • As of 2018, in the 32 years since Batson, the U.S Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit — which includes Mississippi, Texas and Louisiana — has upheld a Batson challenge only twice. That is out of hundreds of challenges.
    • A survey of seven death penalty cases in Columbus, Ga., going back to the 1970s found that prosecutors struck 41 of 44 prospective black jurors. Six of the seven trials featured all-white juries.
    • In a 2010 study, “mock jurors” were given the same evidence from a fictional robbery case but then shown alternate security camera footage depicting either a light-skinned or dark-skinned suspect. Jurors were more likely to evaluate ambiguous, race-neutral evidence against the dark-skinned suspect as incriminating and more likely to find the dark-skinned suspect guilty.
    Skip to a section
    Policing and profiling
    Misdemeanors, petty crimes and driver’s license suspensions
    The drug war
    Juries and jury selection
    The death penalty
    Prosecutors, discretion and plea bargaining
    Judges and sentencing
    School suspensions and the school-to-prison pipeline
    Prison, incarceration and solitary confinement
    Bail, pretrial detention, commutations and pardons, gangs and other issues
    The dissent — contrarian studies on race and the criminal-justice system

It would be extreme tedium to import all the embedded links. Instead it would be much more expedient for me to save and share for you a copy of the complete webpage (attached) unfortunately the PDF is too large for boards attach limits. You will need to extract the directory before opening the .html or it will appear blank.

Again, this is evidence of racism (no one denies racism exists), but this is not evidence of systemic racism.

Again, this is evidence of racism (no one denies racism exists), but this is not evidence of systemic racism.

I think you'll find it fits well within the definition of systemic racism.

It's racism within the judicial system.

System being the important word.

I've never seen his color first. Anyway, he was opining/philosophizing in the video, requiring no special qualifications (or identity).

eg. the Tranch/Article's section on Juries (note: the whole article is not exclusively about police, it covers criminal justice):

It would be extreme tedium to import all the embedded links. Instead it would be much more expedient for me to save and share for you a copy of the complete webpage (attached) unfortunately the PDF is too large for boards attach limits. You will need to extract the directory before opening the .html or it will appear blank.

Would there be a similar comparison for how lawyers successfully struck out other demographics depending on the criteria of the case? Statistics in a vacuum are rather pointless. A lawyer will seek to gain any advantage for their case, that's not evidence of racism.

This type of self-enclosed, reductive rebuttal is precisely why I entreat you to clearly define what you regard as the proper standard of evidence of systemic racism. Otherwise it just appears like no matter what argument is presented, there will always be some mealy mouthed and fundamentally lazy reason to disregard the presentation out of hand. You wish to play a game of discussion tennis where you just wing it and decide what the rules are as we go along. I see that, and I'd rather not. Please clearly preface what you find satisfactory as a standard of evidence.

This type of self-enclosed, reductive rebuttal is precisely why I entreat you to clearly define what you regard as the proper standard of evidence of systemic racism. Otherwise it just appears like no matter what argument is presented, there will always be some mealy mouthed and fundamentally lazy reason to disregard the presentation out of hand. You wish to play a game of discussion tennis where you just wing it and decide what the rules are as we go along. I see that, and I'd rather not. Please clearly preface what you find satisfactory as a standard of evidence.

I don't believe there is systemic racism. You want to make that argument, you define it as you see it. I'm not doing the work for you.

Would there be a similar comparison for how lawyers successfully struck out other demographics depending on the criteria of the case? Statistics in a vacuum are rather pointless. A lawyer will seek to gain any advantage for their case, that's not evidence of racism.

Well you see, you take the percentage presented and take the difference of 100%. The difference is the % of other demographics struck out by lawyers.

Any other mealy mouthed rebuttals requiring minimum thought and effort?

• Advertisement

I don't believe there is systemic racism. You want to make that argument, you define it as you see it. I'm not doing the work for you.

You don't believe there is systemic racism in the scope of which system and how are you defining racism?

There's very little point, as demonstrated above, in making any presentation of information before we have a common language and standard set.

Advertisement