Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,365 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“With law enforcement out of sight, Portland has second peaceful night of protest”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/with-law-enforcement-out-of-sight-portland-sees-second-peaceful-night-of-protest/2020/08/01/66bb6fe8-d41f-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html
    For the second consecutive evening after federal law enforcement officers retreated from the front lines in this city, protesters had almost no interaction with state police as thousands gathered downtown until early Saturday morning.

Oregon State Police, who took over in the protection of a federal courthouse on Thursday, were rarely seen outside the building, despite a lingering crowd that screamed anti-police slogans and set several large fires in the street.

Unlike Thursday evening, when there was an air of celebration, the tone of the protest on Friday evening seemed more somber and, at times, conflicted.

Without the federal officers sent by the Trump administration to rally against — not to mention the threat of tear gas, rubber bullets and arrests they brought with them — the protesters tackled more complicated questions among themselves.

Some favored a confrontation, setting off firecrackers or throwing projectiles at the still-fenced-off courthouse. Others argued that a more measured approach was needed. When a group of black-clad protesters set an American flag on fire, a group of mothers quickly moved to extinguish it and sparked a shouting match.

“You’re on the same side!” one protester on the sidelines yelled, trying to de-escalate the situation as a small group nearby sang: “There’s no such thing as a bad protester.”

The fire died out, though larger fires were soon started in its place. Right-wing activists shared videos of the flames on social media and suggested that local police were not doing enough to disperse the crowd, though there appeared to have been no substantial damage caused.

The protests in Portland began in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis in late May. Though the city is often associated with liberal politics and has a long-standing protest movement, it is also one of the whitest large U.S. cities and has a history of racism.

Crowds of thousands had gathered outside the Mark O. Hatfield U.S. Courthouse for more than two months. In July, the Trump administration sent more than 100 law enforcement officers to protect federal property. The arrival of the officers seemed to galvanize the movement, bringing a wider portion of Portland’s population to protest what they saw as unfair and aggressive police tactics.

After weeks of escalating violence, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) on Wednesday announced she had reached a deal with the Trump administration for state police to take over guarding the courthouse.

After the first night of the new arrangement passed without violence, Brown said it was a victory for the city. “The president’s decision to send federal troops to Portland was a political stunt and it backfired,” the governor said in a video statement Friday.

But as a large crowd gathered hours later outside Portland’s Justice Center, adjacent to the federal courthouse, it was also clear that protesters had their own scars from the weeks of action.

At the start of the night, a number of speakers apologized for their hoarse voices, saying they had been out for “60-something” days. Throughout the evening, protesters could be heard coughing and saying they believed the once-nightly tear gas had infiltrated the dust in the two parks outside the courthouse.

The crowd on Friday evening was larger than in previous nights. Whereas the speeches at the start of the night had once focused on the removal of federal law enforcement officers, on Friday, those officers were rarely mentioned. For many here, the larger battle is ongoing: There are still widespread calls to defund the city police or improve inequalities in housing access, for example.

“Homeland Security is not leaving Portland until local police complete cleanup of Anarchists and Agitators!” the president tweeted in the evening, referring to some federal officers still in the city.

In a statement released early Saturday, Portland City Police acknowledged that a large fire had been started with debris at around 1:30 a.m. outside the courthouse.

“Over the next hour the number of people dwindled to a few dozen,” the statement said. “There was no police interaction with the crowd.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

biko wrote: »
    Brixton, London.
    Count yourselves lucky, English whites

31448732-0-image-a-15-1596295487922.jpg

Akin to begging by threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Brixton, London.

So you want English people to compensate you for the fact that your ancestors sold you to slave traders?

Explain the injustice in that please??

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

splashuum wrote: »

Ah, I'm sure they're a grand bunch of lads. Not.

Shame on England that it has become so neutered that it allows what is essentially an insurrectionary army parade down its streets in broad daylight.

Water cannon, rubber bullets, live munitions in that order until that bunch of anarchists are repelled. All should then be considered enemies of the state and targeted as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just a bit of fun

black-in-america2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Brixton, London.

I taught that was Blanchardstown for a minute

I taught that was Blanchardstown for a minute

Teaching that for only a minute eh

Taught and thought, not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Maybe he has dyslexia, but sneer away

• Advertisement

Whatever about Antifa, I was sure Grammar Nazis were not tolerated on Boards.

* I usually like Biko's posts:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is beyond a joke at this stage, the sooner everyone realises what these people stand for the better and we can lay BLM to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is beyond a joke at this stage, the sooner everyone in the class on the better and we can lay BLM to rest.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Overheal wrote: »
    Big difference between art and culture festivals, concerts, and political speech imho

Does the virus realise this?

‘Crime Is Out Of Control’: Minneapolis Officials Address Uptick In Violence

“Criminals feel like they can do whatever they want to do. They know the police department is at a vulnerable state right now with staffing levels and with morale,” Walker Sr. said.
    “Police murdered a man in our neighborhood and then they just all fell out and left us alone to figure out on our own as far a protecting our neighborhoods,” one resident told the paper. “You feel isolated like you’re in a war zone sometimes, but there’s no one helping us.”

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/minneapolis-police-warn-of-increase-in-carjacking-robberies-/5809314/

Advice from police on how to be a good victim

Ee-Ck-QCEXk-AE0-NWW.jpg

Carry a legally registered gun and attend regular training.
    Be prepared to use it.

They must have left that part out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭MFPM

But you're ok with his implied racism?

Carry a legally registered gun and attend regular training.
    Be prepared to use it.

They must have left that part out

Surprised they didn't mention that White people should just have their salaries paid direct to blm/antifa/Joe Biden slush fund.

If Whites have no money, they'll have nothing to steal! Less crime! Hurrah!

More reason to defund police and divert money to black "communities".

#CrimeFreeMinneapolis2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

MFPM wrote: »
    But you're ok with his implied racism?

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Where?

I'm looking at the original post bemused as to how he found "implied racism" there. These people are desperate and reaching. It's absolutely pathetic. I wish we could send these types into the past so they could fight against real injustice, as this search for imagined injustice is doing their heads no favors.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

There is a petition with 20K signatories to fire UCLA Professor Gordon Klein.

A student mailed him to get leniency for black students in the light of the killing of George Floyd.
    This was Gordon Klein's response:
    Thanks for your suggestion in your email below that I give black students special treatment, given the tragedy in Minnesota.
    Do you know the names of the classmates that are black?
    How can I identify them since we've been having online classes only?

Are there any students that may be of mixed parentage, such as half black-half Asian? What do you suggest I do with respect to them? A full concession or just half?

Also, do you have any idea if any students are from Minneapolis? I assume that they probably are especially devastated as well.

I am thinking that a white student from there might be possibly even more devastated by this, especially because some might think that they're racist even if they are not.

My TA is from Minneapolis, so if you don't know, I can probably ask her. Can you guide me on how you think I should achieve a "no-harm" outcome since our sole course grade is from a final exam only?

One last thing strikes me: Remember that MLK famously said that people should not be evaluated based on the "color of their skin."
    Do you think that your request would run afoul of MLK's admonition? Thanks, G. Klein

It's still unclear why students in Los Angeles would get leniency because of the death of a man 2000 miles away.

Either way, the students managed to get him fired.
    “I have been placed on involuntary leave for three weeks, and it looks like it may end up being more than that,” Gordon Klein, who teaches accounting at the school, told The Post.

The controversy began when a student, who identified as a white ally of black students, wrote him an email last week asking for a “no harm” final, which would have no negative impact on grades.

It's still unclear why students in Los Angeles would get leniency because of the death of a man 2000 miles away.

"Oxford students clear to appeal grades after trauma of George Floyd's death"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/15/oxford-students-could-get-bumped-up-grades-exam-performance/amp/

Trader Joe's have back tracked on their announcement to change some of their product names. Trader Jose's for Mexican products and Trader Mings for Asian etc

Their statement said "We do not change our product names because of an online petition "

Give yourself a pat on the back Trader Joes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭MFPM

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm looking at the original post bemused as to how he found "implied racism" there. These people are desperate and reaching. It's absolutely pathetic. I wish we could send these types into the past so they could fight against real injustice, as this search for imagined injustice is doing their heads no favors.
    I'm looking at the original post bemused as to how he found "implied racism" there.

Look harder and engage your brain.
    These people are desperate and reaching.

Who are 'these people'?
    I wish we could send these types

Who's 'we', again who are 'these types'?
    into the past so they could fight against real injustice, as this search for imagined injustice is doing their heads no favors.

This reads as it there are no 'real injustices' just 'imagined' injustice, seriously, you're actually articualting that serious argument???

Digestible take on the whitewashing of American history

In-line with this recent article about Virginia's textbooks:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/slavery-history-virginia-textbook/2020/07/31/d8571eda-d1f0-11ea-8c55-61e7fa5e82ab_story.html

The lies our textbooks told my generation of Virginians about slavery: State leaders went to great lengths to instill their gauzy version of the Lost Cause in young minds

By Bennett Minton

7Y3B67GQ5II6VDCVMHT7UXUCVM.jpg&w=916
    A series of textbooks written for the fourth, seventh and 11th grades taught a generation of Virginians our state’s history. Chapter 29 of the seventh-grade edition, titled “How the Negroes Lived Under Slavery,” included these sentences: “A feeling of strong affection existed between masters and slaves in a majority of Virginia homes.” The masters “knew the best way to control their slaves was to win their confidence and affection.” Enslaved people “went visiting at night and sometimes owned guns and other weapons.” “It cannot be denied that some slaves were treated badly, but most were treated with kindness.” Color illustrations featured masters and slaves all dressed smartly, shaking hands amiably.

This was the education diet that Virginia’s leaders fed me in 1967, when my fourth-grade teacher, Mrs. Stall, issued me the first book in the series deep into the second decade of the civil rights movement. Today, Virginia’s symbols of the Lost Cause are falling. But banishing icons is the easy part. Statues aren’t history; they’re symbols. Removing a symbol requires only a shift in political power. A belief ingrained as “history” is harder to dislodge.

How hard becomes clearer when you understand the lengths to which Virginia’s White majority culture went to teach young pupils that enslaved people were contented servants of honorable planters — and why for all of my six decades we have been intermittently dismantling the myth that the Confederacy represented anything noble. That dismantling began with Reconstruction 155 years ago and still isn’t finished.

Historian Adam Wesley Dean explored the origin of my textbook in his 2009 article “ ‘Who Controls the Past Controls the Future’: The Virginia History Textbook Controversy.” It was President Harry Truman’s 1948 integration of the armed forces that spurred Virginia’s leaders to create it. A state commission took control of the history curriculum from local school boards, choosing the writers and supervising the text. The publisher, Charles Scribner’s Sons, sold the books to every public school for the three grades. All students were taught the same narrative. My fourth-grade edition included this: “Some of the Negro servants left the plantations because they heard President Lincoln was going to set them free. But most of the Negroes stayed on the plantations and went on with their work. Some of them risked their lives to protect the white people they loved.” And “General Lee was a handsome man with a kind, strong face. He sat straight and firm in his saddle. Traveller stepped proudly as if he knew that he carried a great general.”

The lead historian for the seventh-grade edition was Francis Simkins, of Longwood College in Farmville. His 1947 book, “The South Old and New,” was an articulation of the Lost Cause. Slavery was “an educational process which transformed the black man from a primitive to a civilized person endowed with conceits, customs, industrial skills, Christian beliefs, and ideals, of the Anglo-Saxon of North America,” he wrote in that book. During the Civil War, enslaved people “remained so loyal to their masters [and] supported the war unanimously.” During Reconstruction, “blacks were aroused to political consciousness not of their own accord but by outside forces.” Spotswood Hunnicutt, a co-author, believed that as a result of post-bellum interpretations, students were “confused” that “slavery caused a war in 1861.” The commission was “looking after the best interest of the students.” The “primary function of history,” she concluded, was “to build patriotism.”

In the fall of 1967, I suppose I digested what I was fed. But later in the school year, I would absorb events that defined an era: the Tet Offensive and the erosion of our acceptance of the government’s assertions; the assassinations of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy; the riots outside the Democratic National Convention. By the time fifth grade started, I was reading this newspaper and questioning everything. My particular curiosity propelled me beyond my textbook. But only while watching city workers take down Stonewall Jackson’s statue in Richmond did I wonder how that series of books came to be.

The next Lost Cause?

Here’s what Simkins and Hunnicutt (and their colleagues) left out: the revolution that had begun in 1951 in their hometown. In Farmville, Black high school students went on strike over unequal facilities and then sued. The students, led by Barbara Johns, lost in trial court, but Dorothy E. Davis v. County School Board of Prince Edward County became one of the five cases consolidated in the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education.

Mrs. Stall, bless her heart, didn’t mention that Virginia students — perhaps some of my classmates’ siblings — didn’t go to school for several years as state leaders executed “Massive Resistance” in response to Brown’s directive to integrate schools. We weren’t taught that most of the state’s newspapers participated in an allied effort coordinated by the editor of the Richmond News Leader, James J. Kilpatrick, who went on to a respectable career as a columnist and a slot on “60 Minutes” opposite Shana Alexander.

No one told us that state Attorney General J. Lindsey Almond Jr., who described himself as “the most massive of all resisters,” Dean writes, was invited to edit the seventh-grade text. Or that (White) voters elected Almond governor with 63 percent of the vote in 1957, the year the textbooks first appeared in classrooms.

Massive Resistance collapsed in 1959, when federal and state courts ruled, on the same day, that closing public schools was unconstitutional. Arlington schools, where I started kindergarten in 1963, quickly admitted Black students (I, a White kid, remember none in mine, after attending a predominantly Black preschool), but other districts slow-walked integration long after the Supreme Court ruled against Prince Edward County again in 1964.

With the enactment of the Voting Rights Act in 1965, Virginia politics shifted, but the books stayed. The State Board of Education renewed them in 1966 for six years despite growing criticism. In 1968 the board, led by Lewis F. Powell Jr., proposed a unit in “citizenship education” emphasizing “the rule of law, now so gravely endangered by crime, disorders, extremism and disobedience.” The board’s proposal contended: “There is abroad in this country an escalating unrest which has led already to unprecedented crime, discord and civil disobedience. If unchecked, this unrest could lead to revolution and the end of all freedom.”

Is this why President Richard Nixon asked Powell to join the Supreme Court in 1969? Powell had not yet written the confidential memo for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce calling for a coordinated campaign to defend American capitalism. He was only a name partner in the law firm that had defended Prince Edward County, the champion of “citizenship education” and, he told Nixon, an inadequate choice.

Teaching slavery

Powell joined the court in 1972. Days after he was sworn in, the education board voted unanimously to withdraw the books. Yet they remained: Pat Lang, a McLean mother, protested my fourth-grade book in a letter to The Washington Post in October 1977 — the fall I started at the University of Virginia and two decades after its initial dissemination. “Roll over, Kunta Kinte,” Lang wrote, appalled, and went on to quote some of the lies her fourth-grade daughter was being taught.

The books by Simkins and his colleagues are gone, but everyone wants to make sure that young minds don’t read the “wrong” history. Some schools across the country intend to teach slavery by way of “The 1619 Project,” the essays published in the New York Times last year that won the Pulitzer Prize. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) is so against its version of history that he has introduced a bill barring the use of federal funds to teach it. “As the Founding Fathers said,” Cotton told an interviewer in defending his stance, slavery “was the necessary evil upon which the union was built.”

Two days after Richmond dismantled Stonewall Jackson’s statue, President Trump went to Mount Rushmore and claimed, in language recalling Powell’s: “Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame our heroes, erase our values and indoctrinate our children.”

Well, yes, that’s what political leaders have done for generations. Just read my Virginia history textbook.

MFPM wrote: »
    Look harder and engage your brain.

Who are 'these people'?

Who's 'we', again who are 'these types'?

This reads as it there are no 'real injustices' just 'imagined' injustice, seriously, you're actually articualting that serious argument???

I've looked and I can't see the racism in the post. "Look harder and engage your brain"? Thankfully no amount of brain engaging would lead me to have the same train of thought you do, and I certainly won't look hard in order to find racism where there isn't any.

And obviously the "these people" that is being referenced by the poster you replied to, were people like yourself, who fall over themselves trying to find a reason to shout racism or to white knight and show the world how absolutely "right-on" they are by perpetuating victimhood in situations where it's not appropriate instead of focussing on actual cases of racism and inequality.

The type of people who would question what was meant by the phrase "these types" in order to infer some sort of racism, even though within the context of the conversation, it was quite obvious there was nothing racist about it at all.

Opposing black lives matter is about as racist as opposing third wave feminism is mysogynistic (I.e not at all) despite people bending over backwards to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

All lives matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

John Oliver is trash, He said himself he is a comedian and does not have to be correct with his info, I stopped watching years ago after hearing him say that.

John Oliver is trash, He said himself he is a comedian and does not have to be correct with his info, I stopped watching years ago after hearing him say that.

1) Where/when did he say that
    2) He doesn't *have* to be, but he routinely is. His shows staff go to incredible effort to deep dive, research, and fact-check what they say. Libel lawsuits against him have come and gone like piss in the wind because of the veracity of what he says.

• Advertisement

John Oliver is an entertainer. He has an extremely biased view and is more propaganda than fact but he is meticulous in staying barely on the right side of being correct.

In much the same way many of us do.

The way most of his arguments are worded, ensure that he can stay "on-brand" and decimate others opinions by virtue of clever word play or selective and contextually ambiguous quotes.

It's not unique to his "side". He is a more jokey Tucker Carlson, except Oliver's brand of bias doesn't think their target audience can absorb anything except silly humour.

I think John Oliver is grand. He is better than most that is usually offered but pales in comparison to what Jon Stewart used to be.

Advertisement