Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

2u2me wrote: »
    The way he feels obliged to intersperse every complicated story he presents with some cute animal just to get people to pay attention. He even tells you that's why he's doing it.

There's idiots watching the show alright it seems.

Only a minority of a fraction of a small percentage would think that the inclusion of such graphics are hooks to keep people hooked.

They are humorous elements often with an additional function of showing the absolute absurdity of the topic being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only a minority of a fraction of a small percentage would think that the inclusion of such graphics are hooks to keep people hooked.

They are humorous elements often with an additional function of showing the absolute absurdity of the topic being discussed.

Some people don't understand meta humor.

N.C. sheriff apologizes to family of Black man who died in custody, day before video release

One day before releasing video of a Black man who died after having his limbs bound in what’s known as a “hog tie,” a North Carolina sheriff said he was sorry about the fatal incident.

Forsyth County Sheriff Bobby Kimbrough told a news conference that he “cried” while watching the video showing jail officers tying up John Neville, the Associated Press reported.

Hogtying means Neville’s arms, legs, hands and feet were bound together so he could not move, a technique used on pigs and other animals. It typically pushes a person’s face into the floor, making it hard to breathe.

The practice has been the subject of dozens of lawsuits and has been found to be used disproportionately on African Americans, in addition to people with mental illness.

Kimbrough also said the sheriff’s office has made changes following Neville’s death.

“Your father has changed the way health care will be dispensed at the Forsyth County Detention Center as well as how it will be dispensed throughout this region,” the sheriff said, according to the Associated Press.

Two parts of the video are set to be released Wednesday morning, the AP reported.

Five former detention officers and a nurse have been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death, the AP reported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/04/protests-live-updates-house-committee-investigating-dhs-office-that-tracked-journalists-protesters/#link-G5RS7DODWRBZHNVMFOXVQH7AWA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Jon Stewart brought you so far and let you get the rest of the way yourself. He didn't patronize like Oliver, who's show these days is more reminiscent of how a clown acts at a children's party.

2u2me wrote: »
    Jon Stewart brought you so far and let you get the rest of the way yourself. He didn't patronize like Oliver, who's show these days is more reminiscent of how a clown acts at a children's party.

Yes, yes he did.

You picked out a lighthearted bit that grew from his coverage/fascination with Japanese mascot culture. Well done.

Here is Jon Stewart shoving his face full of a bacon-mayonnaise covered pancake-corndog for laughs. How is one less 'patronizing' than the other? Give it up.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/qt6ofu/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-bobby-jindal-s-republican-response

or in this TY link from 38 secs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Antifa slashes tyres and throws stuff at some car.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1290966676947832833

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Not much mention of this for some reason...

Bodycam video of the initial contact with George Floyd was recently released. Clearly, he was intoxicated, unstable and uncooperative from the start. There is zero evidence of any racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSwqp5fdIw

Its becoming increasingly clear that BLM and the mainstream media are shamefully dishonest. 2 months of mayhem that could have been avoided if the entire context of the incident was made available.

What an absolute mess.

Biker79 wrote: »

Bodycam video of the initial contact with George Floyd was recently released. Clearly, he was intioxicated, unstable and uncooperative from the start. There is zero evidence of any racism.
    There has been a lot of mention here on boards, but in the George Floyd thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058087162
    Now closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bodycam video of the initial contact with George Floyd was recently released. Clearly, he was intioxicated, unstable and uncooperative from the start. There is zero evidence of any racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSwqp5fdIw

Its becoming increasingly clear that BLM and the mainstream media are shamefully dishonest. 2 months of mayhem that could have been avoided if the entire context of the incident was made available.

What an absolute mess.

Did he have a history of drug abuse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Did he have a history of drug abuse?

He did, including armed robbery of a single mother, while the child was watching.

Perhaps he was making a turnaround in his life, despite being intoxicated when resisting arrest...perhaps he was unware of the counterfeit note that he attempted to pass off at the store.

But at the very least, he should have realised he was ' known to police ' and modified his behaviour accordingly.

He did, including armed robbery of a single mother, while the child was watching.

Perhaps he was making a turnaround in his life, despite being intoxicated when resisting arrest...perhaps he was unware of the counterfeit note that he attempted to pass off at the store.

But at the very least, he should have realised he was ' known to police ' and modified his behaviour accordingly.

Because of the very real risk that he might be killed in the course of a pretty low intensity engagement with the police?

That is why people are protesting, because the system of policing in the US has not gotten to the stage where such interactions litterally escalate to become matters of life and death.

It should absolutely not be this way with an organisation who is there to protect and serve.

Was he high at the time of the arrest, do we know?

Because of the very real risk that he might be killed in the course of a pretty low intensity engagement with the police?

That is why people are protesting, because the system of policing in the US has not gotten to the stage where such interactions litterally escalate to become matters of life and death.

It should absolutely not be this way with an organisation who is there to protect and serve.

It is there to protect and serve the law abiding public. Protect them from criminals like this guy.

Was he high at the time of the arrest, do we know?

Debatable and unproven. Autopsies show drugs in the system, pathologists disagree on him being high during the arrest. A matter of opinion past that; it will surely be argued at Chauvin’s trial.

It is there to protect and serve the law abiding public. Protect them from criminals like this guy.

One less suspect $20 note off the street and a dead suspect. I think what the poster was saying about police in need of reform rings very true if this is the state of it.

Mr. Floyd had a negligible amount of drugs in his system — 19 nanograms per milliliter of methamphetamine and 2.9 nanograms per milliliter of THC, the major psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Those numbers suggest he hadn’t used them in at least several hours, maybe a day.

List
    Fentanyl 11 ng/mL
    Norfentanyl 5.6 ng/mL
    4-ANPP 0.65 ng/mL
    Methamphetamine 19 ng/mL
    Various types of THC: 11-Hydroxy Delta-9 THC 1.2 ng/mL; Delta-9 Carboxy THC 42 ng/mL; Delta-9 THC 2.9 ng/mL
    Cotinine positive
    Caffeine positive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ridiculous hyperbole. You might be killed doing anything.

You are 40 times more likely to die in a car accident than due to the police shooting you in the US. 4 times more likely to drown.

Even of these police deaths you would suspect that most were not low intebsity encounters.

There are facts and there is the "narrative". Repeat the "narrative enough and it becomes" fact"

I though there was some other drug also?

Either way he seems to be out of it and not acting normally in the video.

I wonder how the encounter would have turned out if he hadn’t any drugs in his system.

Even if he was tripping balls and screaming about demons it still shouldn’t have boiled down to his death or an 8:46 chokehold.

• Advertisement

Yes, the lengthy chokehold was unfortunate.

Edit: I think the chokehold duration has been corrected to 7 mins 46 seconds.

Yes, the lengthy chokehold was unfortunate.

I wonder would you call cops behaviour 'unfortunate' if it resulted in the death of someone who cared about?

To go from a cop asking would they get him an oxygen mask, to him dying after having his neck knelt on for 8+ minutes is pretty conclusive that policing practices need significant reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Right,

I have just read this article, and to be honest, either it is Really badly worded, or it is telling us to keep quiet and know our place.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-misconceptions-behind-the-white-lives-matter-banner-12013727

Can someone clarify the meaning of this for us normal people?

From the article
    Young black males are taught how to make sure they don't antagonise the police when they are stopped.
    Here in Ireland, outside of bad neighbourhoods aren't all children taught to have respect for the law and instinctively know to treat people including cops with respect?
    When you walk around the shops is it assumed you are a criminal? Do the police stop you regularly because you look suspicious? If you are black the answer is yes. Is it for you?
    I've often been followed by security in shops.
    Have been detained by armed cops twice in Heathrow for flying while Irish.
    I could easily play the victim and say UK people (including black people) have UK privilege.
    Black Lives Matter is not an attack on white people. It is a cry for help.
    BLM have attacked many innocent white people so it can be argued it is an attack on whites.

That said I think WLM is a bit too much, I'd be more an ALM person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I though there was some other drug also?

Either way he seems to be out of it and not acting normally in the video.

I wonder how the encounter would have turned out if he hadn’t any drugs in his system.
    Yeah, fentanyl. And given what a normal dose looks like, I'd say he would be feeling 11ng per ml

I wonder would you call cops behaviour 'unfortunate' if it resulted in the death of someone who cared about?

To go from a cop asking would they get him an oxygen mask, to him dying after having his neck knelt on for 8+ minutes is pretty conclusive that policing practices need significant reform.

If was also unfortunately that he wasn’t acting normal (the shop clerk said he appeared drunk or not in control of himself) and unfortunate that he resisted arrest (refusing to put his hands up etc) and unfortunate that he refused to let the officers put him into the police car.

The chokehold lasted less than 8 minutes I understand.

A series of unfortunate events, unfortunately.

If was also unfortunately that he wasn’t acting normal (the shop clerk said he appeared drunk or not in control of himself) and unfortunate that he resisted arrest (refusing to put his hands up etc) and unfortunate that he refused to let the officers put him into the police car.

A series of unfortunate events, unfortunately.

Which, in virtually any other country in the world, would not have resulted in his death.

Hence the calls for change.

Yeah, fentanyl. And given what a normal dose looks like, I'd say he would be feeling 11ng per ml

Yes, I was reading a BBC article there, the shop clerk says he:

appeared "drunk" and "not in control of himself"

Which, in virtually any other country in the world, would not have resulted in his death.

Hence the calls for change.

Seems to be a political agenda behind all this though, looking to take advantage of the actions of one or more poorly trained police officers.

An officer doing something he shouldn’t have, doesn’t necessarily mean change is needed, beyond better training.

2012 study:

Introduction
    Transdermal fentanyl, an opioid used for management of marked pain, also is abused and may cause death.

Methods
    We reviewed medical examiner reports of 92 decedents who had one or more fentanyl transdermal patches on their body and had fentanyl detected in their postmortem toxicology analysis.

Results
    The manners of death included 40 accidents, 36 natural, 8 suicides, 5 therapeutic complications, and 3 undetermined deaths. Among the accidental fentanyl intoxication deaths, 32 of 37 involved substance abuse. The majority (95 %) of the 37 accidental deaths involving fentanyl were multi-drug intoxications. The substance abuse deaths had a mean fentanyl blood concentration (26.4 ng/ml or μg/L) that was over twice that of the natural group (11.8 ng/ml). Our analysis suggests a relationship between total patch dosage and mean postmortem fentanyl concentration up to the 100-μg/h dose.

Conclusions
    The very wide and overlapping ranges of postmortem fentanyl concentrations effectively nullify the utility of correlating the dose and expected postmortem concentration for any particular death. Based on the variable relationship between dose and blood concentration, the antemortem dose cannot be reliably predicted based on the postmortem concentration. This does not, however, render the medical examiner/coroner unable to determine the cause and manner of death because the toxicology results are only one datum point among several that are considered. Although there was a weakly positive relationship between body mass index and fentanyl concentration, further research is needed to determine whether adipose tissue represents a significant depot for postmortem release of fentanyl.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576505/

• Advertisement

The chokehold was 8 minutes 46 seconds.
    An officer doing something he shouldn’t have, doesn’t necessarily mean change is needed, beyond better training.

It's not just one death though, George Floyds death was one of dozens, if not hundreds of high profile deaths in the last even 5 years. It was merely such a dry cut example that the outpouring of protest was swift and vociferous. Even Breonna Taylor didn't generate that much widespread unrest because of how muddied the situation was and that we only have written or oral accounts of what happened. If we had body camera footage from that night you'd see a much different response.

Advertisement