Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bootlicking... For **** sake.

Do you support any type of policing or are you an anarchist?

I support policing and doesn't consistently leave people dead due incompetence/malpractice/prejudice (take your pick).

So what your saying is.... Lobsters....

No. That's not what anyone is saying.

Are you saying that the reason this man was shot was because he was black or because he didn't comply with instructions of law enforcement officers?

Because of what appears to be the extreme incompetence of the cops

They expected him to cooperate :confused::confused:

You're trying to say multiple cops pulled their guns on a person that the expected to cooperate? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You're trying to say multiple cops pulled their guns on a person that the expected to cooperate? :confused::confused::confused:

If three policemen pulled their gun on me the last thing i would think is I had better go to my car and get something from the front seat.

Yes I expect someone to comply with a request when they have multiple guns pulled on them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The cops have to protect themselves. Who knew if he had a knife or gun on him. Cops can't drop their guns and try take him down.

It's easy to stay alive, follow the orders of the cops.

Where do you get that fanciful notion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Should be given a darwin award posthumously. . . .

That's usually how they're awarded

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Should be given a darwin award posthumously. . . .

He's still alive AFAIK.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I support policing and doesn't consistently leave people dead due incompetence/malpractice/prejudice (take your pick).

The policing in America is what it is, it'll never change IMO.

Everyone knows what the score is, people know that cops will shoot to kill for the slightest thing, so why didn't he stop? He should of just stopped and he probably wouldn't of been shot.

It's not nice and it's not a way id want to live but it is what it is, it's just how they police.

The policing in America is what it is, it'll never change IMO.

Everyone knows what the score is, people know that cops will shoot to kill for the slightest thing, so why didn't he stop? He should of just stopped and he probably wouldn't of been shot.

It's not nice and it's not a way id want to live but it is what it is, it's just how they police.

The same could be said for a long time about policing in the north. It didn't make what the RUC/British Army did right

If three policemen pulled their gun on me the last thing i would think is I had better go to my car and get something from the front seat.

Yes I expect someone to comply with a request when they have multiple guns pulled on them.....

Where is the evidence he was getting something from his front seat? Looked to me like he was trying to get into the car but was being dragged back and then got shot in the back.

The point is why the hell did the cops all have their guns pulled? I've yet to see any evidence that this guy had any weapon nor was there notification of a weapon during the police call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Where is the evidence he was getting something from his front seat? Looked to me like he was trying to get into the car but was being dragged back and then got shot in the back.

The point is why the hell did the cops all have their guns pulled? I've yet to see any evidence that this guy had any weapon nor was there notification of a weapon during the police call.

They don't need evidence though, all they need is to think he's going for something, that maybe there is a weapon in the car,...and in America that's more than enough, combine that with the fact they were telling him to stop and he kept going.

Now going from the video they had every chance to rush him, maybe even taser or pepper spray him, he had know weapons in his hands and it would of took all of a couple of seconds to get him down and incapacitate him, but this is America.

I don't think it's right either but what do you do? how do you change it? do they even want to change it?

Neithet of us know, we do know we went to his car with multiple weapons drawn on him

Neithet of us know, we do know we went to his car with multiple weapons drawn on him

You stated he went to get something from his front seat.

He went to his car and even in the short video the police had plenty of time to non-lethally stop him prior to getting to it but they failed to do so.

Why the continued excuses for the police escalating the situation?

They don't need evidence though, all they need is to think he's going for something, that maybe there is a weapon in the car,...and in America that's more than enough, combine that with the fact they were telling him to stop and he kept going.

I was talking about the other poster's claim.
    Now going from the video they had every chance to rush him, maybe even taser or pepper spray him, he had know weapons in his hands and it would of took all of a couple of seconds to get him down and incapacitate him, but this is America.

I don't think it's right either but what do you do? how do you change it? do they even want to change it?

Well, many of the recent protesters demands would have stopped this given the info we currently have:
    - A 'defunded police' would mean armed officers wouldn't have been called to a domestic situation with no weapons were mentioned
    - If cops were required to deescalate the situation they wouldnt all have guns drawn on a man with no weapons
    - If cops were required to use non-lethal force they wouldnt have their guns drawn
    - If they didn't have qualified immunity they'd think twice before acting like they did

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

He went to his car and even in the short video the police had plenty of time to non-lethally stop him prior to getting to it but they failed to do so.

The dispatcher's report of shots fired comes about five minutes after the initial report. According to Crump, police had already used a Taser on Blake before the shooting.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/24/us/kenosha-police-shooting-jacob-blake/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

dog_pig wrote: »

If that is true, it will be a massive disappointment for a particular political party.

dog_pig wrote: »

Thanks, I'd read the initial call didn't mention weapons but from that it appears there was another one that said there were shots. Still no connection between shots and the victim here.

If that is true, it will be a massive disappointment for a particular political party.

:confused:

I'm not sure what political party would not be massively disappointed that an unarmed man was shot 7 times in back a few feet from his kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

image.png

No, I stated thats not what I would do if faced with three policemen pointing guns at me.

• Advertisement

No, I stated thats not what I would do if faced with three policemen pointing guns at me.

:confused:

What is the point of making that statement if you weren't implying that it is what this victim did?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

biko wrote: »
    Some people just want to watch the world burn.

image.png

Go on BLM, go do your thing. Destroy your community over a pedophile who blatantly resisted arrest.

After the destruction, I look forward to the report that shows how “innocent” this man was.

Because of what appears to be the extreme incompetence of the cops

Is it racism though

Any man who is resisting arrest, who is attempting to reach into a car to retrieve something while officers have their weapons drawn, runs the risk of being killed

The fact you think this is a black Vs white matter is ****ing stupid.

Would you support such riots in Ireland by members of the travelling community who also have a disproportionate amount of people who are involved with altercations and arrests with our police?

If not, why not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It’s gotten to the point in the US that any shooting of a black man is considered racism. I note that the shooting of Kevan Ruffin last month, also in Wisconsin, hasn’t been mentioned here yet. If you look at the news articles which came out immediately after the shooting, the family position was “he was known to have mental health issues, he was shot because he was black”.

The video footage, to include an excellent overview from surveillance camera at 3 minutes in, is instructive and has all the talking points. Black cop, initially very polite and friendly to a man apparently known to him. Then it escalated to a taser, ineffective, and then multiple rounds fired.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntFanbnGwNk

Not a hint of racism, excessive force, police attitude or anything else. Didn’t stop the racism narrative, though, until all the footage was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I can't, and I really mean I can't understand why people don't do what the cops tell them.

Cop tells me to stop, I stop. Cop tells me to dance a jig, I dance a jig. It's pretty simple really. Do what you are told and you stand a 99.99% of not getting shot.

There is a problem with cops being trigger happy but there is an equally big problem with people being stupid fcukers and not following lawful instructions.

Do what you are told and you'll live.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I can't, and I really mean I can't understand why people don't do what the cops tell them.

Cop tells me to stop, I stop. Cop tells me to dance a jig, I dance a jig. It's pretty simple really. Do what you are told and you stand a 99.99% of not getting shot.

There is a problem with cops being trigger happy but there is an equally big problem with people being stupid fcukers and not following lawful instructions.

Do what you are told and you'll live.

Yup.

Even in Ireland, do what you're told.

When a go to a checkpoint, i keep my hands on the wheel except to roll down the window. "Hello guard" When I get dipped for green I wait for them to say I can go. etc.

That guy yesterday could have took his gun and shot a cop and then shot himself. Wouldn't have made the news yet one cop needlessly dead. Risk is too big in America.

Is it racism though

Any man who is resisting arrest, who is attempting to reach into a car to retrieve something while officers have their weapons drawn, runs the risk of being killed

The fact you think this is a black Vs white matter is ****ing stupid.

I don't know what part racism played in this but it is another name in a long line of black men, women, and children that have been shot or killed by cops when it looked completely avoidable if good policing.
    Would you support such riots in Ireland by members of the travelling community who also have a disproportionate amount of people who are involved with altercations and arrests with our police?

If not, why not?

I doubt it because because there isn't a long list of traveller men, women, and children killed by gardai. It isn't difficult to understand

I don't know what part racism played in this but it is another name in a long line of black men, women, and children that have been shot or killed by cops when it looked completely avoidable if good policing.

I doubt it because because there isn't a long list of traveller men, women, and children killed by gardai. It isn't difficult to understand

On one hand you are saying it's not racist, then you bring up the long list of black men women and children killed by the police....

If there was nothing racist about it, why are you only bringing up the black people?

Edit... On re reading your post, you say you aren't sure what part racism played,inferring that it did play some part.

Ffs

It’s gotten to the point in the US that any shooting of a black man is considered racism. I note that the shooting of Kevan Ruffin last month, also in Wisconsin, hasn’t been mentioned here yet. If you look at the news articles which came out immediately after the shooting, the family position was “he was known to have mental health issues, he was shot because he was black”.

The video footage, to include an excellent overview from surveillance camera at 3 minutes in, is instructive and has all the talking points. Black cop, initially very polite and friendly to a man apparently known to him. Then it escalated to a taser, ineffective, and then multiple rounds fired.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntFanbnGwNk

Not a hint of racism, excessive force, police attitude or anything else. Didn’t stop the racism narrative, though, until all the footage was released.

Your evidence of a 'racism narrative' is the statement of the grieving family of the dead man prior to those videos being released?

I've never heard that name before and a quick google shows that there was a 100 peaceful person protest in his local protest when he was killed and that was it. The ACLU released a very measured statement
    “Because we have seen such a national pattern of police using excessive and often fatal force against people of color during routine encounters, as well as against people with mental health conditions, we need to know why Sheboygan police killed Mr. Ruffin instead of handling this in a nonviolent way,” said Chris Ott, Executive Director of the ACLU of Wisconsin. “This tragedy raises fresh, painful questions about the need for racial justice and police accountability.”

I know you have difficulties with the complete mess the police made of the situation the other day but this is a weak attempt at moving the goal posts.

• Advertisement

On one hand you are saying it's not racist, then you bring up the long list of black men women and children killed by the police....

If there was nothing racist about it, why are you only bringing up the black people?

Edit... On re reading your post, you say you aren't sure what part racism played,inferring that it did play some part.

Ffs

So you're saying you know for definite that there was no conscious or unconscious racism at play here? When did you get that super power?

Advertisement