Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Ah yes, the good old deflection tactic of 'I can't really defend what the police did so look over there at how terribly the citizens responded to it'.

Straight out of the British government PR when dealing with what the RUC/Army did in the north

This, all day.

Can't imagine society would protest, or riot, if we had checks and balances to ensure police brutality not only happens far less, but is actually addressed when it happens. Not this qualified immunity bull****. This cop in this case will walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Well I can point you to several videos over the last few weeks that look very much like the police were rioting.

Go ahead then. Point me towards several videos where the cops were filmed rioting please.

I'll say it once again, if the dumb fcuks did what the police told them to do, they wouldn't be getting shot.

How about educating cops to show more restraint and shoot less people

and equally

educating dumb fcukers to actually obey the police.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    [INDIGNANT YELLING]

Do you need more attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Go ahead then. Point me towards several videos where the cops were filmed rioting please.

This thread has nearly 900 videos of police violence.

The video 872 is one of a gang of cops on bikes beating the crap out of a person. If this was a bunch of black guys many people here would be calling for the death sentence.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1296059661423120384?s=20

• Advertisement

I'll say it once again, if the dumb fcuks did what the police told them to do, they wouldn't be getting shot.

How about educating cops to show more restraint and shoot less people

and equally

educating dumb fcukers to actually obey the police.

I don't think we disagree then but you're really 'shouting' about the wrong half of that.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread claim it is smart to not follow police orders, however you shouldn't be shot repeatedly in the back if you don't.

This thread has nearly 900 videos of police violence.

You are moving the goalposts there boss. Police violence does not equal rioting. Now I'm not standing up for police violence by the way, just making a point.

I agree that there is no need for the cops to beat the sh1te out of yer man but we don't know the back story.

But once again you have dumb fcuks running from the cops and not doing what they are told. If someone stood still and allowed themselves to be arrested, then 99.9% of the time there's no problem.

If someone stood still and allowed themselves to be arrested, then 99.9% of the time there's no problem.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm not ignoring any facts, the people blaming the victim (as they always do) are the ones doing that.

If anyone was caught putting 7 bullets in the back of a cop you'd be damn sure that person wouldn't be walking the streets and an investigation be said to be in the 'early stages' and you wouldnt be asking for an assessment of a 'nuanced situation'.

You are framing these incidents as racially motivated, without any evidence to support that. You want to claim that they are evidence of wider systemic racism in police forces, without evidence.

In this specific incident, you're quick to jump to outrage and support of violent protests before the details of what happened have been established.

Overheal wrote: »
    Source?

No source, just common sense. But you already know that.

• Advertisement

You want to claim that they are evidence of wider systemic racism in police forces, without evidence.

There's mountains of evidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/opinions/systemic-racism-police-evidence-criminal-justice-system/

You keep pretending it doesn't exist though. So there's not much point in discussing it with you, you aren't doing so in good faith.

No source, just common sense. But you already know that.

Dismissed as conjecture then.

We have evidence of suspects being shot for complying.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36859305

"Common sense" tells us this happens far more often than gets reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, rioting is bad, but have you seen how cops feel enabled to shoot a black man 7 times in the back?

"Rioting"? They beat the sh** out of an innocent man with a bottle!

Two wrongs don't make a right.

"Rioting"? They beat the **** out of an innocent man with a bottle!

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Virtue virtue virtue virtue! Virtue, virtue virtue!? Virtue virtue.

Sounds like an incident that never would have arisen without Qualified Immunity to me fam. That's what we have the power to change here.

I for one am not under any disillusion that the rioters seen on footage won't be processed by the criminal justice system. It already works for that. What it doesn't work for is policing police, who can get away, literally, with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This guy was a career criminal resisting arrest, its a split second decision the cops have to make in these situations and its easy for the woke crowd to criticise them after the event.

This guy was a father who was intervening to break up a domestic dispute between 2 women whose kids watched him shot in the back 7 times

FYP

Never surprised to hear the "career criminal" line, as though anything was known by the cops prior to the incident or that they had any bearing on how he was treated.

Ah yes, the good old deflection tactic of 'I can't really defend what the police did so look over there at how terribly the citizens responded to it'.

Just more of the usual leftist tactic of accusing others of just what you yourselves are doing. This violence in the name of BLM has being going on for months and you didn't condemn it then either, so don't try and suggest that it's not being condemned now because of this latest incident, as it's baloney.

Police brutality in America is an issue for all races and pretending it's not just to excuse assaulting and attacking innocent people won't make it any the less accurate. Blacks have far more interactions with cops and so they are going to be victims of overzealous policing far more than other races as a result of that. More interactions increases probability.

I guarantee you that more teenage lads from council houses and inner city flats get frisked in Dublin that similar aged teens from the suburbs, but that doesn't mean there's systemic discrimination within the Gardai, it's just needed if they are to have an affect preventing drug use.

You are moving the goalposts there boss. Police violence does not equal rioting. Now I'm not standing up for police violence by the way, just making a point.

Rioting Definition: noisy, violent, and uncontrolled behavior by a group of people in a public place.

So you're saying the guy beating the crap out of the 'shop owner' in the video many of you are outraged by isn't a rioter?

Police brutality in America is an issue for all races

But you don't actually seem interested in discussing it, just yelling at protesters.
    Blacks have far more interactions with cops and so they are going to be victims of overzealous policing far more.

Yes because the system is overwhelmingly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Absolute dirtbags

Why are they scumbags, absolutely or otherwise?

A massive study published in May 2020 of 95 million traffic stops by 56 police agencies between 2011 and 2018 found that while black people were much more likely to be pulled over than whites, the disparity lessens at night, when police are less able to distinguish the race of the driver. The study also found that blacks were more likely to be searched after a stop, though whites were more likely to be found with illicit drugs. The darker the sky, the less pronounced the disparity between white and black motorists. The study also found that in states that had legalized marijuana, the racial disparity narrowed but was still significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I agree with James I fork in her thick forehead might have got her out of my face pretty quickly, dirty animal!
    https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1298311747581829120?s=19

But you don't actually seem interested in discussing it, just yelling at protesters.

Mere "protesters" don't beat people with bottles. Have a word with yourself.
    Yes because the system is overwhelmingly racist.

You keep posting these links all over the site. Hundreds of them. The liberal activist rag that is the WaPo is behind a paywall, so I am not sure why you do it. If you have a study, link it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You'd have to wonder, is all this destruction of city businesses, properties and streets, assaults, murders, riots and protests plus skyrocking crime figures that is ripping across certain Democratic run cities in the US the chaos Michelle Obama promised more of if Biden doesn't get elected in her address to the DNC.

I'm not so sure the Americans will vote for that in November in big numbers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There's mountains of evidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/opinions/systemic-racism-police-evidence-criminal-justice-system/

You keep pretending it doesn't exist though. So there's not much point in discussing it with you, you aren't doing so in good faith.

Just taking the first section, as it relates to policing, again and again the studies cite the small % represented by black people out of the overall population, yet their disproportionate % involved in traffic stops and other interactions with police. These summations conveniently leave out any details on the particular situation in those communities. Why might black communities see a larger police presence?

Black people make up ~13% of the population nationally, so black men ~6-7%. If you accept that most violent crime and murder is performed by men, then you would roughly 6-7% of the national population commuting ~50% of the violent crime and murder. That's astronomical.

I see it less as evidence of racism, and moreso police putting resources into the areas with more criminal activity occuring.

You are framing these incidents as racially motivated, without any evidence to support that.

You're not listening, I've repeatedly stated that we don't know if it was racially motivated.
    You want to claim that they are evidence of wider systemic racism in police forces, without evidence.

There are multiple studies that have shown outcomes of policing practices right through to sentencing are worse for black people.
    In this specific incident, you're quick to jump to outrage and support of violent protests before the details of what happened have been established.

Again, you're strawmanning. It never ceases to amaze me at how posters in these threads really want to have arguments about points I've never made. Where have I supported 'violent protests'?

I don't believe I've been 'outraged' but even if I was it would be understandable seeing a man with no weapon being shot 7 times in the back a meter from where his kids were sitting.

You keep posting these links all over the site. Hundreds of them. The liberal activist rag that is the WaPo is behind a paywall, so I am not sure why you do it. If you have a study, link it.

It's not paywalled for your first few links so you must be a frequent flyer.
    Mere "protesters" don't beat people with bottles. Have a word with yourself.

You seem eager to yell at all protesters, have a word with your own self.

Blow it out your virtue-hole tbph.

Yeah, rioting is bad, but have you seen how cops feel enabled to shoot a black man 7 times in the back?

I did. And I agree. 7 times is excessive. Once in the head would have sufficed.

Why is his skin colour relevant? His resisting arrest, criminal record, active arrest warrant and reaching for something concealed was grounds enough for fatal force to be used.

**** anyone that thinks this was racial. The police were not wrong based on all the available evidence.

• Advertisement

You'd have to wonder, is all this destruction of city businesses, properties and streets, assaults, murders, riots and protests plus skyrocking crime figures that is ripping across certain Democratic run cities in the US the chaos Michelle Obama promised more of if Biden doesn't get elected in her address to the DNC.

I'm not so sure the Americans will vote for that in November in big numbers!!!

You are aware this is happening while Trump is president?

He has shown himself incapable of dealing with this issue

Advertisement