Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Good to see we've come full cycle, giving out about peaceful protest from professional athletes like it was 2016 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Good to see we've come full cycle, giving out about peaceful protest from professional athletes like it was 2016 all over again.

Ya, professional sports and politics do not mix, people watch sport to escape all of that...which is why sport is a tremendous tool to bring people together...all that is being thrown out the window by extremely well paid athletes.

This will have a huge negative impact on revenues for the sport, the ratings have already collapsed...it will also have a knock on effect for Women's basketball league as it will be thrown under the bus to save money...as it is loss making.

Professional sport isn't for me, it is riddled with performance enhancing drugs which media studiously ignore...the same media who will be cheering on this boycott no doubt!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Why did you add in the bold bit, which completely changes the context of my statement? Incompetence or deliberate attempt to mislead?

Fair enough, I acknowledge the distinction between "You can't shoot a person for fleeing in the US" and "You can't shoot someone for fleeing. It is looking more and more like you have no idea how US laws work"

I took the implication from the second statement as being reflective of the first. That may have been an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Obviously we need to wait to see how it played out but if people can a post tweet from the likes of Ian Miles Cheong who is a proven racist alt right ****head I will post this article which is pretty damning on the teenager https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/kenosha-suspect-kyle-rittenhouse-trump-rally

He is of course a proud Trump supporter, goes without saying

And the alleged sequence of events https://files.catbox.moe/t64m9x.mp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

R.F. wrote: »
    I will post this article which is pretty damning on the teenager https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/kenosha-suspect-kyle-rittenhouse-trump-rally
    Could you not find any credible sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

biko wrote: »
    That is not what happened but we can guess and speculate if you want.
    We haven't whatabouted in a while now.

It is nearly exactly what happened.

Wannabe Rambo's social media account is covered in guns and Blue Live Matter, he took an assault rifle to a place where he knew would be full of people protesting against what he supports and started unloading on people when they got aggressive with them, killing 2 of them.

He wasn't protecting his home or his business, he traveled there breaking several laws in the process knowing full well there were protests and violence. To then claim 'self defense' is complete nonsense.

Could you not find any credible sources?

Yet you didn’t appear to have an issue with the poster who put up an Ian Miles Cheong tweet?

Me first

Who is safer?
    A person wearing a MAGA t-shirt to a BLM rally, or a person wearing a BLM t-shirt to a MAGA rally?

I've personally seen MAGA people around police reform rally's and they were perfectly safe.

I have however seen a counter protester assaulted at Blue Lives Matter protests and the police refusing to arrest them (as usual they look after their own).

As far as MAGA rally, the cops won't even let you in with any BLM like shirt. Donald and fans can't handle seeing t-shirts they don't like

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1274379971281203202?s=20

Police Chief looks as competent as you'd expect.

No answer to why his officers thanked the murderer that out past curfew and illegally carrying a gun.

Hopefully the media keep pushing that and the officers involved get punished. I however won't hold my breath/

https://twitter.com/kennedy_donahue/status/1298734716724686849?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Ya, professional sports and politics do not mix, people watch sport to escape all of that...which is why sport is a tremendous tool to bring people together...all that is being thrown out the window by extremely well paid athletes.

This will have a huge negative impact on revenues for the sport, the ratings have already collapsed...it will also have a knock on effect for Women's basketball league as it will be thrown under the bus to save money...as it is loss making.

Professional sport isn't for me, it is riddled with performance enhancing drugs which media studiously ignore...the same media who will be cheering on this boycott no doubt!!!
    The NFL have posted record revenues for the last several seasons, TV ratings aren't exactly relevant because so many people watch online. I am an NFL game pass subscriber, watch several dozen games a season, it haven't watched a single one on home TV in maybe 8 years for example.

Despite this, NFL Commissioner has said players will be allowed to protest if they wish, has repeatedly apologised and has said he and the league should have listened to kaepernick sooner.

Funny enough, it was on exactly thus day four years ago that kaepernick began his peaceful protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Wisconsin Department of Justice confirms that Jacob Blake was armed with a knife and when a Kenosha Police officer shot him.
    According to the release, Blake admitted to investigators that he did have a knife at the time and a knife was recovered from the driver's side floorboard of his vehicle. No other weapons were found, the report said.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/wisconsin-doj-reveals-new-details-surrounding-jacob-blakes-shooting-by-kenosha-police/2329213/

Interesting most people that say this have no problem with team owners supporting Trump.

Sports and your politics is terrible but sports and my politics is perfectly fine.

As we've seen already in this thread, the usual suspects that have been outraged by people rioting are now moaning about players peacefully protesting.

As it has been for the entire history of America, for some there will never be an acceptable for black people to protest.

https://twitter.com/JCisnerosTX/status/1298759416783794176?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they are starting to realise that they ain't winning anybody over so they are burning everything down.

And usually when a side says You're either with us or against us, that's the sure sign of desperation and a great way to alienate people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    As we've seen already in this thread, the usual suspects that have been outraged by people rioting are now moaning about players peacefully protesting.

As it has been for the entire history of America, for some there will never be an acceptable for black people to protest.

https://twitter.com/JCisnerosTX/status/1298759416783794176?s=20

People are moaning about a mob called BLM roaming around rioting looting and inciting racism , they are trying to impose there ideas apon everyone, they are trying to tell you what you can and can't say , all lives matter is one example , so ya these people are righteous scum that think they can do as they please without consequences, you can't go around giving hate speeches about white people and be shocked when you face voilence and resistance especially if your gonna target people's homes and businesses

Sports stars are doing it for a pat on the back, it's meaningless easy to refuse to do something when uve millions in the bank.

The usual only black lives matter fanatics on here lap up everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MLS have cancelled their games today. Gonna be funny when the cheerleading broadcasters start to realise "oh ****, we actually need to show some live sport"

Get Woke, Go Broke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

As ever, it seems the details of these incidents are not relevant at all. Having a black martyr to deify and use to push a political agenda is all that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Due to the amount of back and forth going on between posters in the last 12 hours, I'm closing this thread until I've had a chance to go back through the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Thread reopened, with a couple of ground rules moving forward.

• Cupatae, Overheal - whatever píssing contest you both have going on ends here. Either put each other on ignore, or don't engage. Any further handbags-at-dawn style posts from either of you and I'll remove you both from the thread. Both of you could also make greater efforts to come across less dickish at times in general.

• It's a ridiculous assertion to say that the BLM movement have no legitimate grievances. Is the movement used as justification fro other actions - possibly, and that is worthy of discussion. But the base premise that the BLM movement have no legitimate grievances is fundamentally flawed and will be shot down and actioned in future.

• Any further infractions in the thread for anybody will be met with a card and threadban - consider this the one and only warning on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

LeBron James found his voice. Can't wait for his opinions on China!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

in all fairness lebron is black so think his voice is worthy on this subject more than most other matters. Look the cops are going to have to find alternatives to just shooting when they fear something, to shoot 7 times strikes me as a cop very much afraid and tbh you shouldnt be doing the job if you feel like that, obviously some shootings are justified but pulling trigger first thinking later seems to be happening more and more, could they maybe get stronger tasers that will work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    in all fairness lebron is black so think his voice is worthy on this subject more than most other matters. Look the cops are going to have to find alternatives to just shooting when they fear something, to shoot 7 times strikes me as a cop very much afraid and tbh you shouldnt be doing the job if you feel like that, obviously some shootings are justified but pulling trigger first thinking later seems to be happening more and more, could they maybe get stronger tasers that will work better.

Given the number of guns in America, the tension in these situations, it's actually amazing that so few unarmed are shot.

About 40 a year out of 350 million people and some of the most violent cities on earth, bout 9 of that is African American.

African Americans are less likely to die per 100k arrests than whites

So there are problems in America but the racism in the police is negligible

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the number of guns in America, the tension in these situations, it's actually amazing that so few unarmed are shot.

About 40 a year out of 350 million people and some of the most violent cities on earth.

yeah the fear of guns is the main cause of all this but unfortunately that will never change.

Except they didn't just pull the trigger first, they went through an escalation of force sequence trying to get Blake to obey. He had a knife on him, and presented himself as a threat to the officers and potentially the kids in the car.

Except they didn't just pull the trigger first, they went through an escalation of force sequence trying to get Blake to obey. He had a knife on him, and presented himself as a threat to the officers and potentially the kids in the car.
    yeah man i know i just think if they had some super strong tasers and were able to subdue him before he got to the car all this would have ended better. blake is not innocent in all of this i know but the cops need to do better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Some people are so brainwashed that they'll ignore the truth and any evidence presented that contradicts their point of view or the narrative that they believe.

yeah man i know i just think if they had some super strong tasers and were able to subdue him before he got to the car all this would have ended better. blake is not innocent in all of this i know but the cops need to do better too.

I wouldn't disagree on improving the police's ability to deal with people in a non-lethal manner. The question being, what is a reasonable amount of risk you expect an officer to expose himself to?

Some people are so brainwashed that they'll ignore the truth and any evidence presented that contradicts their point of view or the narrative that they believe.

believe me thats not me, i think both parties have questions to answer, some sides just want to put all the blame on cops and teh other side all the blame on suspects, its not that simple.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't disagree on improving the police's ability to deal with people in a non-lethal manner. The question being, what is a reasonable amount of risk you expect an officer to expose himself to?

That will never be agreed on and its hard to even know but tactics subduing suspects will have to change. More black people are pissed off more than ever with cops which will lead to them not abiding by cops instructions which will in turn lead to more scenarios like this.

Advertisement