Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

Never said that. Take some time to read our interaction again a few times.

You told me my position was ignorant (but well intentioned).

I explicitly stated that my position is that anyone who judges people on their skin colour is racist.

Black lives Matter believe in white privilege which is judging people on their skin colour and not on their actions or merit.

That is racist.

That is my position.

You think that is ignorant (albeit well intentiined.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You told me my position was ignorant (but well intentioned).

I explicitly stated that my position is that anyone who judges people on their skin colour is racist.

Black lives Matter believe in white privilege which is judging people on their skin colour and not on their actions or merit.

That is racist.

That is my position.

You think that is ignorant (albeit well intentiined.)

Believing white privilege exists is not racist.

Not understanding what white privilege is or why people from black communities believe it exists and refusing to try to understand it while expressing views on it is ignorant.

Not understanding what white privilege is or why people from black communities believe it exists and refusing to try to understand it while expressing views on it is ignorant.

This is where we are at an impasse.

You cannot tell me, the father of a child who is a "person of colour", that judging people on the colour of their skin (white privilege) is not the very definition of racism and then in the same breathe call me ignorant about racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

You cannot tell me, the father of a child who is a "person of colour", that judging people on the colour of their skin (white privilege) is not the very definition of racism and then in the same breathe call me ignorant about racism.

You're focusing on a very narrow and extreme interpretation of "white privilege" here.

The term doesn't generally mean "you have white skin and ignoring any other factors or circumstance that one fact alone means you're privileged"; it is a term which is used to encompass a wide variety of biases and inequalities found across the world.

The very same way you're interpreting the phrase is also how the radical fringes of the likes of the Black Lives Matter movement might use and interpret it; it's not how the vast majority of rational people interpret it.

This is not a simple issue with simple solutions and simple language; and to just assume every word should be interpreted in the most negative and extreme way possible doesn't help anyone.

ronivek wrote: »
    You're focusing on a very narrow and extreme interpretation of "white privilege" here.

The term doesn't generally mean "you have white skin and ignoring any other factors or circumstance that one fact alone means you're privileged"; it is a term which is used to encompass a wide variety of biases and inequalities found across the world..

To be blunt, you are being an apologist.

You acknowledge that some (I'd argue a LOT) of people are racist by assuming something about me by virtue of my skin colour.

Is that acceptable?

If so, why? Why is my skin colour something to judge me or my life quality on?

It's neither narrow nor extreme to tell me I have been accused of having some "privilege" that means I should "educate" myself some people accuse me of living a more privileged life than my daughter will.

I'm already sick of fighting this male privilege bull****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

To be blunt, you are being an apologist.

You acknowledge that some (I'd argue a LOT) of people are racist by assuming something about me by virtue of my skin colour.

Is that acceptable?

It's neither narrow nor extreme to tell me I have been accused of having some "privilege" that means I should "educate" myself some people accuse me of living a more privileged life than my daughter will.

I'm already sick of fighting this male privilege bull****

Role Models plays a big part in it,often poor unworthy Role Models are propped up by a corrupt system thus leading young people to believe similar behaviour will bring similar success but it mostly just brings death and jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Is that acceptable?

Do I think it's acceptable to judge people solely by the colour of their skin and no other factors? Generally not; no. However when people are discussing white privilege the vast majority of them are not judging you based solely on the colour of your skin; it's a term with a far more nuanced meaning than the one you're constantly attributing to it.

Is it acceptable for you to assume what someone means by saying "white privilege" without doing any research into its deeper meaning? Or does this attitude about faulty assumptions only apply when they're made about you; as opposed to ones you make about others?

ronivek wrote: »
    Do I think it's acceptable to judge people solely by the colour of their skin and no other factors? Generally not; no. However when people are discussing white privilege the vast majority of them are not judging you based solely on the colour of your skin; it's a term with a far more nuanced meaning than the one you're constantly attributing to it.

Is it acceptable for you to assume what someone means by saying "white privilege" without doing any research into its deeper meaning? Or does this attitude about faulty assumptions only apply when they're made about you; as opposed to ones you make about others?

Tell me why it's acceptable for someone to tell me I have white privilege without knowing anything about me other than assuming my ethnicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I could....

But I won't.

I have absolutely no interest in basing my opinion or attitude towards people based on a Netflix production. My attitude of treating people on their merit, not on their skin colour or their heritage is key. I wish to be treated the same.

I have never misrepresented black lives matter. I think my interpretation of them is exactly what they espouse to be. A group of people who judge me and my life experience based on the colour of my skin.

A group who believe in white privilege.

I reject that.

I reject that from any group who are prejudiced and feel entitled to assume anything about anyone based on their skin.

Because that is racism.

I hate racism.

Hear! Hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

White privilege isn't some 'thing' that all white people have. It's just something that black people lack...

• Advertisement

White privilege isn't some 'thing' that all white people have. It's just something that black people lack...

Then, surely it's a privilege that not all Black people lack... by your own logic. If only some white people have white privilege (as opposed to all) then, it's not based on being white, but based on their individual circumstances. ie. a dirt poor hill-billy in an underdeveloped area will have less privilege (if, at all) than a Middle class person living in New York. Just as a Black person living in a Ghetto will likely have less privilege than a Black person with a middle class background living in a reasonably wealthy area.

Anyway, if such privilege exists based on race, Black people would experience that same privilege in any area that is predominately Black.

White privilege is stereotyping and a case of double standards, since it's only white people who get accused of having that privilege. You've done it yourself in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

90% of people or more don't understand that the BLM movement is not quit what it seems,
    The message of equal rights for black people is just a small part of what they are about, That part is what gets people on board and gets them funding but at heart they are an extreme left movement of Marxists,
    In a way the have tricked the, avarage man and women on the street, and done it amazingly well,

By definition that means that 90% of BLM movement is about equal rights...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No.

I will always oppose racism. BLM believes that white people have privilege. I reject that.

Even when it's popular to support it, like you seem to do.

I hear you, but I genuinely think my whole "treat everyone as equal regardless of what their skin colour or their ancestors did" is a little more productive than your "watch Netflix and stop badmouthing BLM" suggestion.

Yours is a little racist.
    Here Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

its is racist.

it's lies for one. it doesn't exist.
    But if it did (lets imagine) it is never used to try better black people always as a stick to beat white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

GreeBo wrote: »
    By definition that means that 90% of BLM movement is about equal rights...

Not correct,
    It means 90% of the people marching and protesting are doing it for equal rights

These people end up funding the BLM movement in go funds me and what have you and aren't aware that people in charge of the movement have other agenda's

Not correct,
    It means 90% of the people marching and protesting are doing it for equal rights

These people end up funding the BLM movement in go funds me and what have you and aren't aware that people in charge of the movement have other agenda's
    I don't think anyone is not in favor of equal rights (all lives matter) but the issue I have is with the racist elements of BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Minority privilege seems to be a much more powerful force than white privilege. In the case of African Americans, you can go looting, rioting, burning down buildings, and have the media class defend you and try and spin your actions as "peaceful protests". In this country you can go and support a radical Islamist group in Egypt and have the government and media class fall over themselves to defend you. None of these things would happen if the groups/people in question were white.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is not in favor of equal rights (all lives matter) but the issue I have is with the racist elements of BLM.

I agree everyone should 100% be for equal rights, it absolutely inhuman not to be,

But BLM is an extrem left Marxism movement at its core,

The hearts of 90 % or more of the people marching and protesting are in the right place and something needs to change but I disagree with the BLM being the movement who are getting the attention and credit ,

Again i'm all for equal rights and always will be

Good to see common sense prevailing. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8478305/Sky-Sports-pundit-Patrice-Evra-led-way-DITCHING-Black-Lives-Matter-badge.html

It’s ok for anyone to support whatever cause they wish. Just don’t bring it into the workplace.

Good to see common sense prevailing. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8478305/Sky-Sports-pundit-Patrice-Evra-led-way-DITCHING-Black-Lives-Matter-badge.html

It’s ok for anyone to support whatever cause they wish. Just don’t bring it into the workplace.
    Great article. I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Great article. I agree.

You agree with the Daily Mail. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

SozBbz wrote: »

Cheap attack. If there's something wrong with the specific article, then show us what it is.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No, I agree with the stance taken by Sky Sports.

I despise the mail but that's another story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't know what your child's skin colour has to do with whether white privilege constitutes racism or not.

Here is the definition of racism which google provided.
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

In what way, does white privilege, as you understand it, meet this definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

This turnaround from Premier league seems to be in response to BLM UK tweeting support of Palestine, BLM UK change in tack has blindsided supporters of Israel.. it'll be interesting to see the changes in narrative in response to this.

This turnaround from Premier league seems to be in response to BLM UK tweeting support of Palestine, BLM UK change in tack has blindsided supporters of Israel.. it'll be interesting to see the changes in narrative in response to this.

It's showing their true antisemetic colors tbh.

It's showing their true antisemetic colors tbh.

Which is really just an extension of their anti white sentiments.

This attitude makes me angry. There are things in the Daily mail and the guardian that are factually correct. Agreeing with them doesn't mean you subscribe to their worldview nor does it mean you agree with every opinion piece.

Make an argument don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Since when has far left ideology been anti police.. the answer is never.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Since when has far left ideology been anti police.. the answer is never.

Depends on what you consider far left. Typically it was anti-establishment which brought it into conflict with the police. Remove the police, and you weaken the establishment.

Advertisement