Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposing to lay Vinyl planks on cracked ceramic tiles.

• 29-06-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have an area that stretches from a small-to-medium kitchen, on to a utility lobby and then on to a toilet shower room. The total area is just over 17 SqM.

The tiles were laid on a timber floor with a hardboard base under. Over the years, several of the tiles developed cracks. Most cracks are thin and are really not much more than thin black lines on the light coloured tiles. The overall surface is still good and flat.

I am planning to lay an underlay and then use 5mm vinyl floor planks on top of this.

I was looking for advice on whether to use self-adhesive, non-adhesive or go for T&G type planks.

Any suggestions on any aspect of my outline would be much appreciated. Also, I am planning to do the job with the help of a keen DIYer. Is this proposal likely to fall within the capabilities of a DIYer?

Many thanks for any help received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I will watch your replies with great interest. Exact same story here in our kitchen and utility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

I will watch your replies with great interest. Exact same story here in our kitchen and utility.

Looks like neither of us is going to benefit from some of the wisdom that floats around this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭whizbang

If you current tiles havent moved (just cracked) then your good to go with any of the above.
    Can you use self adhesive with underlay ?

If the layout is awkward the T&G can be a pain to fit.

whizbang wrote: »
    Can you use self adhesive with underlay ?

I don't know, but it sounds like a good point to check out.

Does the T&G look or feel anyway superior to the other options? Again, I don't know. If not, and if it is more difficult to lay then, reading between your lines, I think you're probably suggesting - underlay with non-adhesive tiles is the best way to go?

Thanks for the reply Whizbang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If it was me I would just use self adhesive directly over the tiles.
    Small cracks that arent causing loose tiles wont be noticeable under the vinyl *as long as the tiles are still level*
    If you have bumps from the cracks OR the tiles were not well laid originally (they are uneven) then you will have visible and noticeable bumps and lumps under the vinyl which *may* be better concealed by an underlay

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    If it was me I would just use self adhesive directly over the tiles.
    If you have bumps from the cracks OR the tiles were not well laid originally (they are uneven) then you will have visible and noticeable bumps and lumps under the vinyl which *may* be better concealed by an underlay

Just inside a doorway, there is a crack that you can feel a small difference in the level when you run your finger over it. Is there any reason NOT to go with an underlay other than saving on cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

davidod1 wrote: »
    Just inside a doorway, there is a crack that you can feel a small difference in the level when you run your finger over it. Is there any reason NOT to go with an underlay other than saving on cost?

If its very small and narrow then you are probably ok, I might consider filling it if it was wide enough to fill. (5mm+)

It depends on the tiles you are buying really. If you have already picked them out then you should be able to determine if they require/suggest underlay.
    A lot of the new vinyl tiles are already cushioned, so there is no need for underlay.

All very useful information and much appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement