Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western People - "A Cabinet fit for Cromwell"

Options
  • 29-06-2020 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Tbh, it is borderline Father Ted. At the same time, this article was actually published today
    https://westernpeople.ie/2020/06/29/a-cabinet-fit-for-cromwell/#.XvoTiChKg2w

The new Cabinet is the ultimate and final betrayal of the people of the West, the people of rural Ireland, the people who get up early and go to bed late just to keep the lights on in towns and villages buffeted by one economic storm after another since the turn of this millennium. Yesterday in the National Convention Centre in Dublin, the triumvirate of Micheál Martin, Leo Varadkar and Eamon Ryan unveiled a Cabinet that Oliver Cromwell would have been proud to call his own. To hell or to Connacht, indeed.
    Do they need to get a grip, or fair comment?

Personally, I'm in the get a grip camp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Get a grip, maybe elect TDs that put national interest ahead of parish pump politics and they might see better representation and results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Where do you live OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

You’d think the Mayo crowd would be used to disappointment at this stage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Some sense of entitlement on Calleary. Feckin hell Mayo produces some ropey politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cromwell did love a parliament in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I live in the Mid-West. I find the fact that there's no Cabinet representation from my county (or the region in general) a total non-issue to me.

The Cromwell comparison is utterly preposterous hyperbole.

Dara Calleary's obvious bitterness at not getting a Cabinet portfolio, and the way his which he's threatened to weaponise the position of Chief Whip is also bizarre. How can someone who has been appointed to do the job of keeping discipline in the Government be trusted if he starts off by complaining that he got the job in the first place, and then go on to describe how he's going to fulfil the role in an adversarial manner? The stench of entitlement off him is overpowering.

The furore around Barry Cowen being given the Marine portfolio, when he represents a landlocked county, is also ridiculous. Just because you come from, or live in, a costal county doesn't necessarily mean you know anything more about the sea or fishing than someone from the county beside you. Geographically, the furtherest you can be from the coast in Ireland is about 85km. You'd swear he was from the Gurbantünggüt Desert

I feel a bit dirty defending a FF cabinet, but I just cannot abide parish pump politics at the national level.

Advertisement