Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB to HDMI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

USB sends data not video. USB C 3.0 is the first USB port that can properly transmit video.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't think it exists, are you trying to transmit video from one device to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

I have a HD with a USB connection but the USB on TV not working so I want to stick the HD into convertor and then that into HDMI on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have a HD with a USB connection but the USB on TV not working so I want to stick the HD into convertor and then that into HDMI on TV

Try a phone charger that takes a normal sized USB on the plug to connect to HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

If by HD you mean HDD (hard disk drive), then that won't work because HDMI can only carry audio/video signal, and the HDD needs a data connection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a port replicator connected to the laptop by USB which then has a HDMI connection for the secondary screen.

robinph wrote: »
    I have a port replicator connected to the laptop by USB which then has a HDMI connection for the secondary screen.

That still won't work, unless you plug it into a laptop. You can't use that to connect a hard drive to a TV, but you can connect a hard drive and a TV to a computer.

JoyPad wrote: »
    If by HD you mean HDD (hard disk drive), then that won't work because HDMI can only carry audio/video signal, and the HDD needs a data connection.

More confused now!

I have movies etc on external hard drive. Usually I plug it into the USB port on TV. The port on the TV is not working anymore.

So I thought I could stick the hard drive usb connection into an adapter and then into HDMI on tv

So I thought I could stick the hard drive usb connection into an adapter and then into HDMI on tv

That won't work. There is no adapter that will make that possible.

JoyPad wrote: »
    That won't work. There is no adapter that will make that possible.

ah. ok. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I was literally about to fling this in the bin. Is this what you mean?

I was literally about to fling this in the bin. Is this what you mean?

not quite.

I need to plug the usb into one side and then have a hdmi on the other side to plug into tv.

INPUT: Female usb
    OUTPUT: male HDMI

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When you plug the USB into the TV, there's software on the TV that reads the USB data and plays the video. This is called "video playback through usb"

When you plug the hdmi into the TV, there's no software available to read the data and play the video.

So you need to either fix the USB or to introduce the software before the hdmi, such as using a laptop, games console etc.

thanks for all the help everyone

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So you need to either fix the USB or to introduce the software before the hdmi, such as using a laptop, games console etc.

Cheapest solution would be to buy a Raspberry Pi and install OSMC on it. This is a mini computer, has HDMI output and 4 USB ports. If connected to a modern enough TV that supports CEC, the OSMC interface can be controlled with the TV remote, so you don't need keyboard or mouse. Then you can play anything from devices connected to the USB ports, including your hard drive, but also able to play back lots of stuff from the Internet.

I would highly recommend such a solution, and could assist with more information on setting it up, etc.

Advertisement