Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Norris finally flipped?

Options
  • 29-06-2020 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

The longest serving member of the Seanad has hit out at its lack of racial diversity. Senator David Norris has hailed the appointment of Eileen Flynn from the travelling community as a significant advance.

However, he has noted the lack of diversity among the 60 Senators.

“I welcome very much the substantial increase in female representation, but i regret the absence from Seanad Éireann of any person of mixed race.”

Source

Not an African, or an Asian or an Australian or an Eskimo or a Peruvian or a Martian or a transgendered one-legged Elf from Botswana, but a person of mixed race!

I can't help wondering whether the joker has lost his last marble.

But then I was struck by a great idea:- if Davey Norris is genuinely concerned about the lack of mixed-race representation in Seanad Eireann then maybe he could consider stepping down and handing his seat over to a mixed-race person. In other words, putting his money where his mouth is.

After all, he's been in the Seanad for 23 years and at age 75 I'm sure that many would agree with me that he's a long way past his sell by date.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Oh no, a Senator is angry. Wait until he unleashes his powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Well Norris was born in Africa so we can use him as an example of diversity in the Seanad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Well he couldn't exactly say that they're short an African senator...

Edit: beaten to it by MikeMac!

He does have a point though. One of the reasons for creating the Seanad was to give representation to groups that wouldn't win Dáil seats but were still stakeholders in Irish society. Given that he's one of the few directly elected senators I can see why he feels a more diverse bunch could be appointed by the Taoiseach, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    He does have a point though. One of the reasons for creating the Seanad was to give representation to groups that wouldn't win Dáil seats but were still stakeholders in Irish society. Given that he's one of the few directly elected senators I can see why he feels a more diverse bunch could be appointed by the Taoiseach, etc.

Yep - a genuine national tragedy that Eamon Ryan didn't appoint Hazel Chu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

[QUOTE=Dj Stiggie;113887323]He does have a point though. One of the reasons for creating the Seanad was to give representation to groups that wouldn't win Dáil seats but were still stakeholders in Irish society. Given that he's one of the few directly elected senators I can see why he feels a more diverse bunch could be appointed by the Taoiseach, etc.[/QUOTE]

"Stakeholders". Puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

How are these groups determined? He's been on the gravy train long enough, he could do the honourable thing and give up his gig very important job.

trashcan wrote: »

"Stakeholders". Puke.

I was trying to think of a better word. Is it a bit too Junior Cert business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Maybe he can start a letter writing campaign to get his paedo friend a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Norris is a slimeball and has no moral authority after using his office to appeal for clemency in Israel for his paedo partner/former partner in the rape of a 15 year old boy.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    How are these groups determined? He's been on the gravy train long enough, he could do the honourable thing and give up his gig very important job.

I can't remember them all but several are appointed directly by the Taoiseach and trade unions. The National Universities and Trinity College alumni directly elect senators too. They're the only groups that do so. I don't like the guy, but he is one of the only people elected in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Dame that props up the pantomine is integral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The race baiter is apparently going to be the new Lord Mayor of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It was actually to ensure Protestants were represented in the new parliament.

Wasn’t sure if he was still claiming disability payments from his real job in Trinity.

As of 2011: “ INDEPENDENT presidential candidate David Norris received a disability payment for 16 years while out of work as a Trinity College lecturer -- even though he was a "full-time" senator for the entire period.”

Gravy train is right.

I voted to abolish the Seanad in the referendum, pity more didn’t.

From 2015:

“ SENATOR DAVID NORRIS has said that people on social welfare should not be allowed to buy drink, saying it is ridiculous that drinking has now become “a human right”.”

To suggest he has ‘finally’ flipped is misleading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Current Affairs, reminder to read the charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why would he appoint hazel chu?
    She is now lord mayor of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

ahh come on, you're better than that, he's a paedophile apologist too.

Was wondering when he'd throw his oar in to this, him , the travelling fishwife and presumably some dark skinned candidate to his liking can all sit together and shake fists at clouds.

So we have black people, LGBTQA+ people and travellers being discriminated against in that one post. That's like the holy Trinity of people the current affairs neanderthals hate

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    What the hell difference does that make?

Because hur hur gay people willy and bum? What were you expecting from this place the Baghdad House of Wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

And she will stop being Lady Mayor of Dublin in a year's time whereas if she was in Seanad Eireann she'd be there for up to 5 years and would earn lots and lots of money.
    She is already an elected councillor and the chairperson for the green party I'd say she will make a run at being a TD, no need for her to go for Seanad at least not yet

What’s the point of senators anyway. What do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They work as a full-time senator and also get a disability pension from Trinity.

I have to be honest. I don't know how the fcuk he got away with that one.

Did nobody think to ask him why he wasn't returning to work in Trinity yet he was able to work full-time as a senator, and a high-profile senator at that.

Oppps. Someone logged into the wrong burner account there.

I mean it's a glorified form of talking to yourself I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Handy few bob for ex TDs the public rejected in the last GE while they decide if the want to run again for the Dail.

The public bottled it when we had a chance to vote it out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Handy few bob for ex TDs the public rejected in the last GE while they decide if the want to run again for the Dail.

The public bottled it when we had a chance to vote it out of existence.

Did you see the way the ballot paper was worded? Yes meant no and no meant yes.

It was a screwed up paper and I'm sure some people made a mistake when filling it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Did you see the way the ballot paper was worded? Yes meant no and no meant yes.

It was a screwed up paper and I'm sure some people made a mistake when filling it in.

Ah come on it was easy to know what we were voting for, anyone who couldn't understand it must have been as thick as two short planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's David Norris and there's nothing new here at all. He's always been inclined to wonder aloud about all sorts of things, often involving shouting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Delaying legislation being passed is about as good as it gets.

Advertisement