Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer iOS app

Options
  • 29-06-2020 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if the BBC iPlayer works outside the UK for people with a UK TV license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes, you just need a UK connection.

Do you mean an internet connection?

Yes, you just need a UK connection.

I'm assuming you don't mean VPN

You need to have a UK internet connection to access iPlayer, if your abroad that means you need a VPN or other type of service.

Okay so even UK TV license holders can't travel with the iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I tried using the player before but it refused me access since I was using a VPN. They must have copped on to users outside the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

I tried using the player before but it refused me access since I was using a VPN. They must have copped on to users outside the uk

I use a vpn for the iplayer and have no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Which one, I must give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Which one, I must give it a go?

I use express vpn without any problems via the shield BUT the iOS app won’t work (obviously with the Vpn on the phone also)

They copped on to that years ago and regularly do housekeeping to block VPNs.

The VPN providers then work on getting back in.

And BBC blocks again.

Used VPNs myself but you can end paying and have no access for weeks.

Not interested in VPNs. I just wanted to know if would work before my sisters hours looking for her TV license details.

I’m very surprised that license payers are not allowed use it abroad,

shooter69 wrote: »
    I use express vpn without any problems via the shield BUT the iOS app won’t work (obviously with the Vpn on the phone also)

I thought this kind of talk was forbidden.

You can travel with iPlayer, you download content on the app and you can watch content while outside the UK.

Otherwise you need to be in the UK (either physically or virtually) to access iPlayer due the the content licensing restrictions.

I meant stream when they are outside the UK.

• Advertisement

Then VPN or UK DNS is your only options.

No there are other options - like not using the iPlayer. :)

You misunderstand my point. I was just saying that I am surprised the BBC don't allow streaming for UK license holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I thought this kind of talk was forbidden.

The use of a VPN is completely legal.

Express VPN gives access to ITV Hub and BBC iPlayer no problem as well as a host of US apps.

Highly recommend, as you can watch lots of stuff for cheap/legally

kaerobe wrote: »
    The use of a VPN is completely legal.

Express VPN gives access to ITV Hub and BBC iPlayer no problem as well as a host of US apps.

Highly recommend, as you can watch lots of stuff for cheap/legally

I'm pretty sure there was a rule on this forum that discussion of VPNs was not allowed.

I've used VPNs. I would not recommend. Might be cheap but when Netflix, BBC, etc. block them you can go a long time before the provider gets another way in.

That is how I used to be anyway. If they work better now fair play but there is plenty to watch without them. Sooner or later the shows turn up somewhere.

I can't keep with them as it is let alone add more.

I'm pretty sure there was a rule on this forum that discussion of VPNs was not allowed.

I've used VPNs. I would not recommend. Might be cheap but when Netflix, BBC, etc. block them you can go a long time before the provider gets another way in.

That is how I used to be anyway. If they work better now fair play but there is plenty to watch without them. Sooner or later the shows turn up somewhere.

I can't keep with them as it is let alone add more.

I imagine the use of VPNs for torrenting or illegal streaming is forbidden. Using them to change your location or to hide your IP address is not.

You have to do your research on VPNs. Express VPN and Nord VPN are highly rated. Check out some threads on Bargain Alerts or Amazon Fire Stick to see how VPNs have been discussed to access US/UK apps legally.

I imagine the use of VPNs for torrenting or illegal streaming is forbidden. Using them to change your location or to hide your IP address is not.

You have to do your research on VPNs. Express VPN and Nord VPN are highly rated. Check out some threads on Bargain Alerts or Amazon Fire Stick to see how VPNs have been discussed to access US/UK apps legally.

I've used those VPNs and others. Netflix and the BBC would block and there would often be a long wait for the providers to find another door (or whatever). I have plenty to watch without a VPN and sooner or later I get to see what I used to have a VPN for.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm not banging a drum crying "down with VPNs" or asking about them. I was just surprised that talk was allowed as I was certain it was forbidden topic on boards.ie regardless of the use.

It is not, so okay. :)

But isn't streaming the BBC iPlayer, Netflix from other regions, CBS All Access, etc. illegal?

I've used those VPNs and others. Netflix and the BBC would block and there would often be a long wait for the providers to find another door (or whatever). I have plenty to watch without a VPN and sooner or later I get to see what I used to have a VPN for.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm not banging a drum crying "down with VPNs" or asking about them. I was just surprised that talk was allowed as I was certain it was forbidden topic on boards.ie regardless of the use.

It is not, so okay. :)

But isn't streaming the BBC iPlayer, Netflix from other regions, CBS All Access, etc. illegal?

I think its against the T&Cs. Im not up to date on each countries/companies legal framework for streaming outside of their territory.

I think its against the T&Cs. Im not up to date on each countries/companies legal framework for streaming outside of their territory.

So not illegal just against their rules?

Advertisement