Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3600 Ramping up my fans constantly

Options
  • 29-06-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i built my first pc in a long time and im having an annoying issue and im hoping you might be able to help.

The fans keep ramping up and down with the cpu temp, even opening chrome leads to the fans building up and lowering back down. Ive set fan curves in the bios but this doesn't help. I followed a tutorial which said to open power option and under processor power management set the minimum to 20% and the max to 99% this works perfect but it definitely comes with a performance hit in cinebench r20 normal score is a 3481 maxing out at 81C with the power option changed its 3160 at 69C, so am i right in thinking its just disabling boost? It also effects idle temps, roughly 55C stock but its hunts a bit or 45C with the power management option and that stays pretty much static

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my gut says im using a wrong setting or maybe i haven't seated the cooler right?

the pc spec is
    3600 with stock cooler
    MSI B450-A pro max
    2 NZXT 120mm exhaust fans and 2 BeQuiet 140mm intake if i remember right these 4 are 3 pin not PWM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Discussion on this very issue in the Ryzen discussion thread. For me it's just normal Ryzen boost behaviour but opinion differs.

My fan curve is flat until 60C or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Cheers Samuel i hadnt seen that thread till now, as much as i hate to say it you seem to be right ,its just the nature of the processor in comparison to the intel chip i was used to , ive tweaked the fan curve and increased the step up time in the bios, this second part really helped the fans not to react so quick to the constant temp spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I *think* it's the high idle voltage. When the chip ramps up the voltage doesn't drop fast enough so you get this little spike in temps. Its bloody annoying and something I hope is fixed on zen 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I would change that stock cooler asap, as it's just not up to the job

I used the stock cooler for a week while waiting for bequiet to ship a mounting bracket for my old dark rock pro 3

Stock cooler was idleing at 48° and with a stress test was 85° with extremely loud fan speed

now Dark Rock idles at 32° and 70° with the same stress test and barely audible

Stock cooler wrecked my head for that week I was waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I have a non stock cooler as well and dont see a ramp up or down of fans.

I dont think you need a super expensive after market cooler though so dont overspend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Anything around 212 evo level is more than enough for these cpu's. This is just as good and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-ONE-Processor/dp/B076LX4DJF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=arctic+cpu+cooler&qid=1593695410&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

projectgtr wrote: »
    The fans keep ramping up and down with the cpu temp

Yeah, that's the stock cooler for you, that really annoyed me too.

The CoolerMaster 212 Evo is a great option,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068OI7T8/

or

Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler is also very good;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JEMXYQ/

The issue goes away once a good cooler is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've got an AIO on mine and it ramps up and down all day doing barely any work. I've sorted it with a flat fan curve to the sound level I want and just ignoring what temp it get itself to. Not ideal but is what it is. I still haven't seen a temp below 40c a few days after installing it.

Cheers for the input guys, sorry im only getting back to you now as i was having network issues too, the issue is pretty much gone by tweaking the fan curves and changing the step up time. The stock cooler is just a placeholder until i decide what route to go, i think ill stay with air and i am looking at Noctua, BeQuiet or maybe the Scythe Fuma 2 unless a great deal on a good AIO comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

t Noctua, BeQuiet or maybe the Scythe Fuma 2 unless a great deal on a good AIO comes up.

I wouldn't go AIO, been there and the longevity just doesn't exist

If you are going highend go for the Noctua or BeQuiet, you wont be disappointed with either

I had two AIOs over a four year period from 2010 to 2014 and both times the pumps died, never again, AIOs are just another expensive point of failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm getting that ramping behaviour on the stock cooler too and no amount of fan curve manipulation seems to solve it. Also getting regular microstutters. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I've changed the fan curve and it has made it a bit better but still not acceptable for a desktop computer. From what Ive researched, unless you're lucky, and slightly deaf, it seems that an upgrade is the only permanent solution. I had some high-end BeQuiet supercoolname cooler in the shopping cart when I was building my rig but I removed it as it seemed a bit wasteful given the stock cooler was reviewed as being good enough except by a few hardcore PC nerds. I should have just went with my gut; the hardcore PC nerds are always right. Anyways, I'm going to just get the BeQuiet and be done with it.

Cerberus wrote: »
    I've changed the fan curve and it has made it a bit better but still not acceptable for a desktop computer. From what Ive researched, unless you're lucky, and slightly deaf, it seems that an upgrade is the only permanent solution. I had some high-end BeQuiet supercoolname cooler in the shopping cart when I was building my rig but I removed it as it seemed a bit wasteful given the stock cooler was reviewed as being good enough except by a few hardcore PC nerds. I should have just went with my gut; the hardcore PC nerds are always right. Anyways, I'm going to just get the BeQuiet and be done with it.

I have the Dark Rock Pro 4 in mine. It does ramp up a bit the odd time when idle but it's very quiet and hardly noticeable. Great temps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Bit overkill for a 65w CPU in fairness though. Uses a bit more when boosting but still low. That thing is rated for over 250w.

More suited to a 16 core ryzen or Threadripper parts.

If it keeps things quiet then that's the main thing for me. Plus i'll be upgrading at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I flipped my AIO around so thats its mounted to front intake fans and temps dropped a bit. Now seeing high 30s on "idle" but as mentioned before this thing doesn't ever idle, its just how the 3000s are, its always ramping up and down. There's a few different temps listed in HWinfo too, I was watching the wrong one. CPU Tdie is the hottest part of the CPU at any given time, CPU Die average is basically the same as what Ryzen master reports.

My effective clock is always very low while browsing etc but the CPU is still drawing 1.3v the vast majority of the time hence why temps are the way they are. My fan curves are all a flatline at 44% until it hits 80c so basically it never ramps during normal usage. While gaming I change it to 60% until 70c.

Keeps it quiet.

EDIT:I've got PBO on with +200Mhz overhead which it never gets to. XMP also affected temps. Pure stock settings in bios and 5-8c comes off "idle" temps

I have the Dark Rock Pro 4 in mine. It does ramp up a bit the odd time when idle but it's very quiet and hardly noticeable. Great temps too.

Im looking at the Dark Rock 4 at the min myself , can you tell me does it block the first RAM slot? its hard to get info on it and my RAM (Corsair vengeance pro RGB) would be on the tall end. Looking at photos it doesnt look like it interferes with it but id prefer to ask someone with the cooler.

I'm getting that ramping behaviour on the stock cooler too and no amount of fan curve manipulation seems to solve it. Also getting regular microstutters. Very frustrating.

Have you tried adjusting the step up time in the bios, that seemed to help me big time, which motherboard are you using?

Im looking at the Dark Rock 4 at the min myself , can you tell me does it block the first RAM slot? its hard to get info on it and my RAM (Corsair vengeance pro RGB) would be on the tall end. Looking at photos it doesnt look like it interferes with it but id prefer to ask someone with the cooler.

I have the Pro 4. It blocks all slots but the fan is offset so it clears tall RAM.

I think the 4 doesn't block any.

I have the Pro 4. It blocks all slots but the fan is offset so it clears tall RAM.

I think the 4 doesn't block any.

Cheers for the reply, damn i missed the PRO part of your last message :confused: , I think you are right all the same, ill do some more digging maybe see some installation videos and order tomorrow all going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Found the solution to my stuttering issue anyway: If you've got a logitech with a 2.4ghz receiver do not plug it into a usb 3 port. I thought there was some fundamental problem with the mobo or CPU, was driving me insane that this brand new rig was more sluggish than the E5300 I replaced it with!

Advertisement