Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces Mac transition to Apple silicon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Apple silicon = ARM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Apple silicon = ARM ?

Yes so the are ditching intel effectively. If they are moving OSX over to ARM then what happens to their x86 based computers? will there be two OSX's versions?

I would expect Apple to support the x86 products for a few years and then they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I would expect Apple to support the x86 products for a few years and then they are done.

If developers mover their software to ARM does that mean its done for on x86 devices?

stevek93 wrote: »
    If developers mover their software to ARM does that mean its done for on x86 devices?

I expect that improvements to such software will decline rapidly as I would not expect most devs to put in the extra effort for a dwindling user base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I expect that improvements to such software will decline rapidly as I would not expect most devs to put in the extra effort for a dwindling user base.

If you're on Mac x86 now, you either depend on Apple software or non-Apple software. If the former, they will migrate it to the new ARM platform, so you'll have to buy new Mac to continue using that software. If the latter, you're probably better off migrating to a different x86 operating system.

Either way, you know you will have to buy new hardware in a few years time, which has always been true for Mac owners. They give us the OS for free because we pay for it in expensive hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stevek93 wrote: »
    I'd say 3rd party devs will drop x86 like a hot potato, as with the new chips anything made on the new system will work on iPads, etc, so a larger market.

Apple will support it for 2 years, and then will probably start to cut down on the support.

I'm a PC user, dislike Macs as I can't game on them, but am interested in how this will turn out as ARM on computers may be great.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd say 3rd party devs will drop x86 like a hot potato, as with the new chips anything made on the new system will work on iPads, etc, so a larger market.

Apple will support it for 2 years, and then will probably start to cut down on the support.

I'm a PC user, dislike Macs as I can't game on them, but am interested in how this will turn out as ARM on computers may be great.

Things are looking very positive for ARM on desktops within a few years. More recent chips are reported to be very capable and stand up well to comparison with Intel's offerings.

I don't game so have no idea how well games might be supported or how much effort that might take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Things are looking very positive for ARM on desktops within a few years. More recent chips are reported to be very capable and stand up well to comparison with Intel's offerings.

I don't game so have no idea how well games might be supported or how much effort that might take.

Considering the current state of gaming on the Mac platform(x86), I wouldn't hold your breath.

Pretty sure most PC games use instruction sets and its why consoles also moved to CISC not RISC.

Advertisement