Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New phone - Huawei, Xiaomi or Samsung?

• 29-06-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

My phone is relatively old and I need a new one. The budget is approx €200. I just need to use it as a phone mostly - a few apps, good battery life, decent camera and unlocked. Huawei and Xiaomi phones have been advised but I think Samsung is a decent brand too. I haven't a clue so any advice is welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

I got two Xiaomi's on eglobal central and am very happy. Great prices & good phones. Use PayPal.

Ordered Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 pro 4GB/64GB Dual sim is what I got. I'd go for 128GB of buying today..Good battery and great value..

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

baldbear wrote: »
    I got two Xiaomi's on eglobal central and am very happy. Great prices & good phones. Use PayPal.

Ordered Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 pro 4GB/64GB Dual sim is what I got. I'd go for 128GB of buying today..Good battery and great value..

Mind if I ask if eglobal central is European? I've tried to buy an item outside the EU lately but it was cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

With Huawei, you won't get google services on it so no google play store, etc. So I would suggest either Xiaomi or Samsung.

I have a Samsung Galaxy m30s, it's the first Samsung smartphone I've owned and I've been liking it so far. Really good battery life too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Logo wrote: »
    Mind if I ask if eglobal central is European? I've tried to buy an item outside the EU lately but it was cancelled.

Be aware of eglobal they take orders at times when nothing in stock,have woeful customer care,do not interact , thread on here ref same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One plus 7/8 should be on your radar. Warp charging is a gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Recently purchased a redmi 9s battery is insanely good and I use my phone alot,put me back 220 delivered plus 4 for the parcel motel

_Godot_ wrote: »
    With Huawei, you won't get google services on it so no google play store, etc.

I'm not planning on using phone for internet (except for a few apps) and not impressed by continual google updates/storage on phone... so is google play necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

_Godot_ wrote: »
    With Huawei, you won't get google services on it so no google play store, etc.

You may not have the play store but there's ways of getting any app you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm not planning on using phone for internet (except for a few apps) and not impressed by continual google updates/storage on phone... so is google play necessary?

Play store won't come preinstalled but it's fairly simple to add.
    I have a Huawei p30 lite, and in fairness it's a very good device with an excellent camera.
    I had Xiaomi device previously and the battery life was shockingly good, performance was excellent but the camera on both were only average.
    No experience with Samsung but their so common I think any major flaws would be well known by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I got a huawei p30 lite and downloaded playstore no problem phone is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭I am me123

I am currently on my third Samsung phone since 2013..
    First one was in 2013, a Samsung Galaxy Y. In 2018 I then purchased an 8GB Samsung J3. Then earlier this year, I upgraded to a Samsung A10, my best phone so far..excellent battery life, decent 32GB internal memory with additional SD card storage. Best Samsung of the 3 is the A10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

One plus 7/8 should be on your radar. Warp charging is a gift.
    not with a budget of €200

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

My own €0.02

Samsung : for functionality, stereo recording. Not necessarily the best device for rough & tumble environments
    Huawei: great for rough & tumble.

Xiaomi : good for rough and tumble. They can do strange thing tough. The torch in mine comes on without warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

And the Redmi Note 9S is available too, off Honorbuy for €242 (comes from an EU warehouse, very fast shipping).

https://www.honorbuy.com/1844-redmi-note-9s-128gb-global-version-gray.html

Ordered this for the wife yesterday, came with a free speaker and watch for £129. A lot better spec than her current Sony so hopefully she likes it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

I'd go for a Samsung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

daheadonu wrote: »
    Recently purchased a redmi 9s battery is insanely good and I use my phone alot,put me back 220 delivered plus 4 for the parcel motel

Can you advise where you bought that from and how long it took for delivery. Did it come with a UK charge plug and is there a soft case included in the packaging? A screen protector also is probably too much of a push.

Similar to OP looking to purchase a phone for my wife with a budget of around €200. She's a heavy user and Redmi Note 9s looking like the best value and a worthwhile step up from the Note 9 with the faster processor and slightly larger screen. The Note 9 pro is a decent upgrade again but a good deal more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

davo2001 wrote: »

Just bought this for the wife, very nice piece of kit. Went for the 6gb Ram and 64gb. Used Samsung Smart switch to transfer from old phone, took about an hour but had all transferred with no bother.

Just be aware it is a "large" phone. I have a P20 lite and this is considerably larger. Be selective with the case, I got her a cheap leather with card holder style and the ultrawide camera picks up the case in shot, she'll never use the function anyway but something to consider. Also there is no protection of any kind on the screen so buy one immediately, unlike Huawei which generally come with a thin film protector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

yes the Redmi note 9s is the imo the best phone you can get in and around that price range right now

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-note-9s-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-grey-international-ver-1.html

eglobal sends through Europe so no worries on customs etc

assume 2 weeks delivery and you should be ok

alternatively you can get it for not much more (prob go for 128gb version imo but if 64gb enough then cheaper) from a foreign amazon (usually 10€ postage)

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/redmi%209s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

glasso wrote: »
    yes the Redmi note 9s is the imo the best phone you can get in and around that price range right now

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-note-9s-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-grey-international-ver-1.html

eglobal sends through Europe so no worries on customs etc

assume 2 weeks delivery and you should be ok

alternatively you can get it for not much more (prob go for 128gb version imo but if 64gb enough then cheaper) from a foreign amazon (usually 10€ postage)

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/redmi%209s

Thanks, I presume all these come with an EU plug which will require an adapter? Bit of a pain.
    I see a couple of local Dublin stores on Adverts selling the 4/64gb Note 9s for €210. The Pro 6/128gb are going for €275. Surprisingly competitive price for immediate pick up. Anyone ever have any dealings with them?

Thanks, I presume all these come with an EU plug which will require an adapter? Bit of a pain.
    I see a couple of local Dublin stores on Adverts selling the 4/64gb Note 9s for €210. The Pro 6/128gb are going for €275. Surprisingly competitive price for immediate pick up. Anyone ever have any dealings with them?

you can get over the plug or buy your own fast charger I suppose and use the provided cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTRICS-Charger-Charging-Portable-Compatible-White/dp/B07KK8WDNJ/ref=sr_1_28?crid=25D3C4ZVSCGMK&dchild=1&keywords=18w+usb+c+charger&qid=1593627432&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=18w+usb+c&sprefix=18w+usb%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-28

check the feedback score of the adverts seller - if good ok. warranty from an adverts seller not likely to be "great". amazon safest there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Most are plugs with detachable USB cables, not really a pain. Plugs can be got fairly handy and for little money

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

glasso wrote: »
    redmi note 9s has the same size battery but kills the g8 power on performance and beats it on camera also

I have never had a Redmi but I read they are full of ads and bloat. Is that wrong?

Flashdan wrote: »
    I have never had a Redmi but I read they are full of ads and bloat. Is that wrong?

I've had a few and have never seen an ad or bloat

• Advertisement

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_9s-review-2104p4.php
    We're reviewing the global version of the Redmi Note 9S, and the only places we noticed ads were the File Manager and the Security apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

All manufacturers have good and bad phones in terms of hardware. I had a Samsung last year before getting my current Huawei. Couldn't stand the Samsung - Samsung custom apps for this, Samsung for that, permission popups and logins all over the place. Waaaay too far away from stock Android. Sold it within a few days and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i got a huawei y6 3 weeks ago.I disabled most of the apps on it ,apart from google apps.i find it very good .i charge it every 2 days.
    On full charge i get 10 hours 3g web browsing time.i leave it on all the time ,i have it in ultra power saving mode when i play music or browse the web.
    It has a 6.1 inch screen.i went to apps settings and uninstalled all the apps i don,t use and disabled all the apps that cannot be removed .it has a 3.5mm headphone socket.
    i have it in mono mode, 95 per cent of the time.eg display set to black and white d mode ,no colour to extend battery life as i don,t have broadband at the moment.
    it comes with a 1amp charger micro usb and stereo earphones in the box.
    i buy a phone every 2 years ,its the best phone i have ever used.
    the only apps i installed are rocketplayer ,and Vlc media player.

riclad wrote: »
    i got a huawei y6 3 weeks ago.I disabled most of the apps on it ,apart from google apps.i find it very good .i charge it every 2 days.
    On full charge i get 10 hours 3g web browsing time.i leave it on all the time ,i have it in ultra power saving mode when i play music or browse the web.
    It has a 6.1 inch screen.i went to apps settings and uninstalled all the apps i don,t use and disabled all the apps that cannot be removed .it has a 3.5mm headphone socket.
    i have it in mono mode, 95 per cent of the time.eg display set to black and white d mode ,no colour to extend battery life as i don,t have broadband at the moment.
    it comes with a 1amp charger micro usb and stereo earphones in the box.
    i buy a phone every 2 years ,its the best phone i have ever used.
    the only apps i installed are rocketplayer ,and Vlc media player.

Was it much hassle to install the play store? The wife's phone is arriving tomorrow and I'll have to set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Was it much hassle to install the play store? The wife's phone is arriving tomorrow and I'll have to set it up.

It should have the play store on it already.

I think people are confused over Huawei - It's generally their newer phones that don't have the PlayStore on it (P40 onwards, there or thereabouts) - open for correction on this!

I'm tempted to go for the Huawei Y6 or Samsung Galaxy but what's the difference between the UK version, Amazon exclusive version and Xiaome Global version? I would appreciate if someone can post a link to a decent buy for either phone. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lob020

Check out the Moto G8 plus,great reviews and under 200

I'd still recommend the 9s. Buy from Amazon for peace of mind on aftersales

The link was basically saying that the ads were very few and just in a couple of apps that you'd rarely ever open so wouldn't see them

I'm tempted to go for the Huawei Y6 or Samsung Galaxy but what's the difference between the UK version, Amazon exclusive version and Xiaome Global version? I would appreciate if someone can post a link to a decent buy for either phone. Thanks

This is the one I'm getting delivered today for the wife - bought through their UK store (I have a nordy address).

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/phones/y6p/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bought a Redmi Note 9S from a seller on adverts a few days ago brand new for €210.
    Fantastic phone,great performance, screen, camera and battery.
    After 2 days heavy use i had 27% battery left.
    My wife has a top of the range S20 and there is little difference in real world use yet the S20 costs almost 4 times as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Argos have the new Nokia 5.3 for €180. 6.5 inch screen, 4 Gb / 64 Gb. Android 10 (Android One).

• Advertisement

I'm tempted to buy a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 from Amazon France. I assume this will work in Ireland - is there a disadvantage in buying from the French Amazon website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm tempted to buy a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 from Amazon France. I assume this will work in Ireland - is there a disadvantage in buying from the French Amazon website?
    Just that the charger won't work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

My phone is relatively old and I need a new one. The budget is approx €200. I just need to use it as a phone mostly - a few apps, good battery life, decent camera and unlocked. Huawei and Xiaomi phones have been advised but I think Samsung is a decent brand too. I haven't a clue so any advice is welcome. Thanks

I know little in this area.
    I was abroad last year and i broke my samaung phone.
    I went to a repair shop to hopefully get repaired.
    The guy said it be €100+ to have repaired.
    He said Xiomi and Huawei were the two most robust phones on the market.
    I since discovered they made by the same company with Huawei the premium brand.
    I read a post down the page that said Huawei not have "play"
    Well it works on mine...

rizzee wrote: »
    It should have the play store on it already.

I think people are confused over Huawei - It's generally their newer phones that don't have the PlayStore on it (P40 onwards, there or thereabouts) - open for correction on this!

It didn't come with the Playstore on it as it is running the latest version software. Bit of a siege to get some of the apps onto the phone and there's a few which aren't compatible at the moment. Good phone but wouldn't be bothered with Huawei again unless they get back on board with google and have the playstore pre loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I know little in this area.
    I was abroad last year and i broke my samaung phone.
    I went to a repair shop to hopefully get repaired.
    The guy said it be €100+ to have repaired.
    He said Xiomi and Huawei were the two most robust phones on the market.
    I since discovered they made by the same company with Huawei the premium brand.
    I read a post down the page that said Huawei not have "play"
    Well it works on mine...

Huawei and Xiaomi are not the same company. Both from China bit not at all the same. You must be thinking of Huawei and Honor. Honor is the lesser brand than Huawei. All Huawei phones released after May 2019 have no Google services installed. The p30 was released just before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Huawei and Xiaomi are not the same company. Both from China bit not at all the same. You must be thinking of Huawei and Honor. Honor is the lesser brand than Huawei. All Huawei phones released after May 2019 have no Google services installed. The p30 was released just before that.

Don't think that's right different companies altogether I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

It's a Huawei sub-brand, or at least were part of them at some stage years ago, now off independent I believe; just like Xiaomi: Poco, Redmi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Don't think that's right different companies altogether I think

Honor is a sub brand of Huawei. They both use EMUI but its called Magic OS on the Honor. Poco is a sub brand of Xiaomi. Realme is a sub brand of Oppo. Oppo is in itself a sub brand of BBK electronics who own Oneplus and vivo as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

Anyone recommend a phone that's not over 6" screen? It's for my dad, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That's something i was just told, i have one of each and prefer Xiamomi..

• Advertisement
Advertisement