Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk through gold club from Burnaby heights

Options
  • 30-06-2020 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,
    I was wondering if many people would use the path through the golf club from Burnaby Heights to Whitshed road as part of their commute in the mornings/evenings, to catch the train in Greystones? Is it safe there in the dark as I see the path though the golf club is not lit up?
    Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hi All,
    I was wondering if many people would use the path through the golf club from Burnaby Heights to Whitshed road as part of their commute in the mornings/evenings, to catch the train in Greystones? Is it safe there in the dark as I see the path though the golf club is not lit up?
    Thanks 😊

I think it's fairly well used, but I can't speak for how safe it is as I don't live up that way.

Personally I'd like to see it widened and lit so it could form a safe walking/cycling route from that end of the town to the station and village. I'm sure the golf club wouldn't miss a metre either side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think it's fairly well used, but I can't speak for how safe it is as I don't live up that way.

Personally I'd like to see it widened and lit so it could form a safe walking/cycling route from that end of the town to the station and village. I'm sure the golf club wouldn't miss a metre either side of it.

I would be surprised if the golf club would agree to any changes to the walk through. If I recall correctly there was an attempt to close it some years ago.
    Perhaps somebody has more info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

This path is known locally as the Pig's Hollow although the original path went closer to the clubhouse which was a private house. There were swing gates at either end. The Farm steward Wilfred Evans lived in the house until Lady Burnaby came from America to live there. The walk changed direction and was fenced off when the members of Greystones Golf Club took ownership of the golf course and clubhouse. There was another right of way from Whitshed road across the first and second fairways leading onto Hillside road which was closed off several years ago. This right of way was changed to the edge of the 1st fairway and also lead onto Hillside road but was later closed off due to alleged anti social behaviour.
    There was also a pathway across the golf course from Whitshed road to what is now the junction at Tesco's on the R761.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    This path is known locally as the Pig's Hollow although the original path went closer to the clubhouse which was a private house. There were swing gates at either end. The Farm steward Wilfred Evans lived in the house until Lady Burnaby came from America to live there. The walk changed direction and was fenced off when the members of Greystones Golf Club took ownership of the golf course and clubhouse. There was another right of way from Whitshed road across the first and second fairways leading onto Hillside road which was closed off several years ago. This right of way was changed to the edge of the 1st fairway and also lead onto Hillside road but was later closed off due to alleged anti social behaviour.
    There was also a pathway across the golf course from Whitshed road to what is now the junction at Tesco's on the R761.

the other 2 paths didn't save much time though, the one along the old 2nd hole was a former mass path I think. The pigs hollow path is really useful for people from Killincarrig direction getting to the village, I think combined with the path from Burnaby Hts to Killincarrig village it has the makings of a good low-traffic walking/cycling route to the village. It's also part of the new Sugarloaf trail so I can't see it being closed off, making it slightly wider would have zero impact on the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

pixbyjohn wrote: »

So its closed now and cant be used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Cluster wrote: »
    So its closed now and cant be used?

No, the pathway known as the Pig's Hollow is open taking you from Burnaby Heights to Whitshed road.

Advertisement