Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawthorns not flowering

Options
  • 30-06-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the hawthorns in their area have yet to flower? There are a lot near me and I haven't seen any flower yet. Some looked like they were about to a few weeks ago but never did. Could this be caused by a mix of the lack of rain plus strong winds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hm, I was going to say, of course the hawthorn flowered...but now you mention it, I'm not sure I saw any either.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

As I said, I saw some looking like they were about to bud and then just.. didn't. A lot of leaves seem to be turning more yellow than green as well so I say it's a water problem. I only noticed as I can see multiple mature ones from my bedroom window and usually by now they would all be coated white

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Ones around me flowered pretty much around usual, Around mid may I think, I think the cold can delay things some years but I don’t think that was an issue this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yep, ours haven’t yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Plenty of hawthorns around here (northwest) have flowered but not as big a display as some years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

MacDanger wrote: »
    Plenty of hawthorns around here (northwest) have flowered but not as big a display as some years

That is it. Hawthorn has good and bad flowering years- and the near drought in May would have massively reduced flowering this year (remembering that it is also known as the Maythorn as this is when it flowers).

On a related note, I'm a little bit excited that I seem to have a single hawthorn in my hedge that hangs onto it's leaves (still green) all through winter and then goes straight into new leaf- so it is never bare except for maybe two weeks- an evergreen hawthorn hedge would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Though we never officially named our house we refer to it as "Tuarín na Sceach" as it's in a small field ringed by hawthorn. Every year it's a riot of white with the odd pink tinge here and there but very little this year. Having said that I've seen some very abundant bushes in the area while out for walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have two haw's trees here and they have been weak all year. They do look like they might bloom later in a month or so. last year they were great all June and July.

Dan.

baaba maal wrote: »
    That is it. Hawthorn has good and bad flowering years- and the near drought in May would have massively reduced flowering this year (remembering that it is also known as the Maythorn as this is when it flowers).

On a related note, I'm a little bit excited that I seem to have a single hawthorn in my hedge that hangs onto it's leaves (still green) all through winter and then goes straight into new leaf- so it is never bare except for maybe two weeks- an evergreen hawthorn hedge would be great!

That is interesting, could be worth pursuing, make a few enquiries about it. If there are any slips going...

baaba maal wrote: »

That is interesting, could be worth pursuing, make a few enquiries about it. If there are any slips going... (Mind, it could have just been a result of a mild winter!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

looksee wrote: »
    That is interesting, could be worth pursuing, make a few enquiries about it. If there are any slips going... (Mind, it could have just been a result of a mild winter!)

Get your hands off my hedge!

Only joking, I would be very happy to- this is the standard thorn variety but (if it were to breed true and as made available) it might have a role in boundary treatments in larger spaces as an alternative to the usual laurel or beech hedging to increase biodiversity etc.

The funny thing is, I have been looking at the same two plants in the hedge (planted in 2011) and I think i noticed it first about 2016 when they got big enough- and one of the two in particular definitely holds on to almost all the leaf. They were bought as quicks from a nursery in Meath IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Mine flowered as normal and then there was those huge winds that stripped their flowers in hours so it was very fleeting blossom this year.

I wonder if the wind is what blew off the buds near me, so, because they did look like they were getting ready for a while. I wonder if it's too late for them to try re-flower

All densely coated this year, possibly to make up for last year's lack of flowers :D Looking great. hope everyone else here who's didn't flower last year got some flowers this year.

we also didn't get any berries last year, I wonder if it was connected to the lack of flowers. nature is healing

Advertisement