Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB overlimit fee €7

• 30-06-2020 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

I saw the online credit card statement indicating Overlimit Fee of €7 today.
    Is there any way to get rid of this fee? if I transfer money to the credit card account?
    My credit card account is always paid via direct debit and there is sufficient funds there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds like you busted your credit limit and they've penalised you for doing so. Which would mean that it's not directly connected with paying the bill and paying money off it won't make that charge go away.

This area is a minefield as far as banks are concerned. You could have been in a restaurant with invited guests and used your card to pay for the meal. Or you could have been low on diesel in the middle of the night, gone into an all night filling station and swiped your card at the pump.

What are they supposed to do if the proposed transaction is going to push you over your limit? Refuse and potentially cause you extreme embarrassment or difficulty, or allow it and slap that charge on your next bill? If you're a customer who regularly settles your account on time, they're more likely to authorise it rather than refuse but you will get penalised for exceeding your credit limit.

Consider it as a slap on the wrist and move on. And if you settle your account in full each month via DD, you should have no problem getting an increase in the credit limit so ask them to bump it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I just realised the card limit is 5000€ and I have crossed that limit.
    Will they fine me another 7€ for each transaction? As the direct debit is usually cleared on 10th of every month.
    coylemj wrote: »
    It sounds like you busted your credit limit and they've penalised you for doing so. Which would mean that it's not directly connected with paying the bill and paying money off it won't make that charge go away.

This area is a minefield as far as banks are concerned. You could have been in a restaurant with invited guests and used your card to pay for the meal. Or you could have been low on diesel in the middle of the night, gone into an all night filling station and swiped your card at the pump.

What are they supposed to do if the proposed transaction is going to push you over your limit? Refuse and potentially cause you extreme embarrassment or difficulty, or allow it and slap that charge on your next bill? If you're a customer who regularly settles your account on time, they're more likely to authorise it rather than refuse but you will get penalised for exceeding your credit limit.

Consider it as a slap on the wrist and move on. And if you settle your account in full each month via DD, you should have no problem getting an increase in the credit limit so ask them to bump it up.

Yes, I just realised the card limit is 5000€ and I have crossed that limit.
    Will they fine me another 7€ for each transaction? As the direct debit is usually cleared on 10th of every month.

Don't bank on them continuing to approve transactions that push you further over the limit. Ring them and ask for an increase in the limit, even if it's only for a few weeks.

Can't say if every transaction will incur the €7 charge but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did.

I rang them and they have waived the overlimit charge as a goodwill gesture given my clear history and always paid on time.

Thanks
    coylemj wrote: »
    Don't bank on them continuing to approve transactions that push you further over the limit. Ring them and ask for an increase in the limit, even if it's only for a few weeks.

Can't say if every transaction will incur the €7 charge but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did.

I rang them and they have waived the overlimit charge as a goodwill gesture given my clear history and always paid on time.

Excellent, good job!

• Advertisement

Thank you Coylemj

Advertisement