Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what businesses are going to do well in the next couple of years?

Options
  • 30-06-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭

what businesses are going to do well in the next couple of years?

Will it be the usual recession ones like chippers and scrap yards or will there be others that may thrive.

what would you advise someone to get into?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Anything that goes online and has a decent social media market following will do well. People are generally that lazy /unsociable nowadays they buy everything online and don't want to drive or walk to a store.

Plus the media have put the fear of god into people, especially the older generation, about germs and viruses. Home delivery type services that would typically only offer traditional "buy-in-store".

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭WeeCuppaCha

Cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Very difficult to see over the trees at the moment, so many things are still undecided/tested. We don't know what's going to happen to the residential/commercial property markets yet either in the cities or countryside. It's going to affect everything else.

I used to tell people to invest in barbers/hair salons. They'll never be replaced by computers but not sure whether I'll be going back to a barbers anytime soon now I have my own clippers. :rolleyes:

Transporting goods is going to remain very busy for the foreseeable future.

Food has literally been flying off the shelves of supermarkets and looks to remain so. People are eating more at home either because they're working at home or they don't want to go out.

With less time wasted on commutes people are going to have more leisure time to do what they want.

Have you seen the price of pups on DoneDeal? Everyone now wants a puppy because they're at home all day and prices are shooting up but pretty sure a lot will end up in rescue homes in a few months. But the market has increased.

Gardening/DIY will be kept busy as will home offices/log cabins.

Home brew/grow kits sales are soaring. Some of these will keep going and need to be catered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Many say that any business that is online will do well.

Incorrect.

Online has more casualties than bricks and mortar as many start an online business but simply don't understand how online operating is quite different to bricks and mortar.

So well managed online business who understand what they are doing and understand the customer service level requirements of online, will do very well.

Those who don't understand it and don't understand the level of care required will fail.

What will do well in your opinion then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

funeral directors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Engineering, pharma, tech and food are doing well for the most part. I think there will be a substantial stimulus programme in the coming years so construction / engineering and associated professional services might do well out of that.

Retail FMCG and takeout food operations will probably continue to do really well. Some very good restaurants are now offering superb food as a takeout option which has been a nice luxury for people during lockdown.

At a local level it’s very hard to say what effect the pandemic will have on people’s habits in the long term. Hospitality, retail and other services are staring in to the unknown at the moment. I expect many closures in these areas once the pandemic supports start to get withdrawn. As soon as the need for social distancing can be relaxed new businesses will open in their place but it’s going to be a very hard road in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Hobbies of all kinds. Hobbies are surprisingly resistant to downturns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What will do well in your opinion then?

As above, a well managed company with a strong online presence.

Every Tom dick and Mary (Harry was replaced) will think that they must go online and think the riches will follow

Many people will invest in these businesses

Most will fail as not many understand how different online retail is compared to bricks and mortar retail.

So look for those who consistently get high ratings from customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perspex installers.

• Advertisement

Bicycle shops in Dublin in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Darc19 wrote: »
    As above, a well managed company with a strong online presence.

Every Tom dick and Mary (Harry was replaced) will think that they must go online and think the riches will follow

Many people will invest in these businesses

Most will fail as not many understand how different online retail is compared to bricks and mortar retail.

So look for those who consistently get high ratings from customers.
    In this scenario, the people who do consistently well are the people who sell services to those trying to establish online businesses, or migrate existing business to online. They will generate revenue both from those who are successful in this and from those who try but fail.

The reliable route to prosperity in a gold rush is not to prospect for gold; it's to be in the business of selling picks, shovels and wheelbarrows to prospectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

Was watching the Morning Show during the week and Holly & Philip were interviewing a couple who at the beginning of the Corona Virus in the UK started making Hand Sanitiser from their kitchen at home using a local gin as one of the ingredients they even had to call into a neighbors to borrow a funnel to fill the bottles which they also sourced locally, such was the demand that they have had sales of £30 million over the last 3 months supplying bars, restaurants, local health authorities in the UK etc.

They now have a fully equipped manufacturing industrial unit ramping up to an industrial scale operation employing 12 people and with the way the virus is continuing to spread in the UK, they won't be going out of business anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

Sure Be a landlord great game to be in 😂
    Property management/ real estate

Invest in a property
    Stick 4 to 5 students can make good profit

Top chief wrote: »
    Sure Be a landlord great game to be in ��

Invest in a property

How is that recession proof though?

If the ass falls out of the market again like it did you've basically then got a few heavy stones tied to a rope around your neck. I saw a few people hit with that less than 10 years ago and they're in a bad way with stress etc now.

Not everyone can afford to buy property in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Invest in a property

Have a friend in the Student Accommodation business. He's pretty much f*cked as a business for the foreseeable future........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Invest in a property

people will move out of cities now that wfh is becoming more common place. Requirements for rental properties will decrease drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Invest in a property

students are the last tenants you will make money from. first off I hear some colleges aren't going back to the class rooms in 2020. also you will only have students in the houses/apartments for a few months of the year, they wont be paying you rent from may to September. And a lot of student will do a lot of damage to the accommodation they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭feelings

Counselling services.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    How is that recession proof though?

If the ass falls out of the market again like it did you've basically then got a few heavy stones tied to a rope around your neck. I saw a few people hit with that less than 10 years ago and they're in a bad way with stress etc now.

Not everyone can afford to buy property in Dublin.

Depending where they they bought the house as I know if If t was outside Dublin can understand it being hard to get someone to rent

• Advertisement

Have a friend in the Student Accommodation business. He's pretty much f*cked as a business for the foreseeable future........

Well if they are just doing students and nobody else he would be . You only get students in for a few months.
    I wouldn't recommend it as a main income , I work with someone as a side business while I have my own career.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    people will move out of cities now that wfh is becoming more common place. Requirements for rental properties will decrease drastically.

Dublin is where the work is , I'm sure some will try find work outside work In there field but wont be on the same salary as they would be in Dublin.

With the way the prices of a house now is not just in dublin there will always be people renting until they are in a position to get a mortgage or get help from family .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Making or installing ventilation,air filtration systems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Would you not need a trade for that?
    Why would that be good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps only the high grade ones that lash out loads of Ozone/UV to null the 0.125 micron (range 0.06 - 0.14) of covid. Multi-stage carbon or even salt filters might be useful too.

An intense 5-10sec short burst of celing 2,000w UV-C, every 15mins might be useful for busy retail/public interior spaces. Just as long as an audiable pre-alert was given for folks to slow blink. Wouldn't want anyone thinking some Blackjacks have dropped their load overhead.

Advertisement