Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion in Ireland: 2 years on

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

KiKi III wrote: »
    That’s not true. I have no objection to anyone being pro-life. I only oppose their attempt to force their view on society at large.

No. You should report it to a mod if you think they've been confrontational or aggressive with their views, I'm sure it would be dealt with if it were happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Why would the same thing be said to a woman who can't conceive?

Because the point is that because you don't need to make a decision on a pregnancy you don't have an idea on what you would do and it's easy to stick to principals when it's hypothetical. This point, and many very similar versions of it, are brought into the debate when a male has an opinion on this -- I'm asking if the poster would say the same to a girl who wasn't able to conceive because it would be a hypothetical to her also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

oyvey wrote: »
    No. You should report it to a mod if you think they've been confrontational or aggressive with their views, I'm sure it would be dealt with if it were happening.

I don’t know what you’re talking about here.

I’m just pointing out I have no disgust for people who’s personal views are pro-life, provided they aren’t insisting everyone in the country subscribe to their views.

I don’t know what you’re talking about here.

You said they were forcing their view. I'm saying that it should be reported if so and a mod will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You said they were forcing their view. I'm saying that it should be reported if so and a mod will deal with it.

You left out the society at large part

• Advertisement

You can’t report someone to a mod for having an opinion you disagree with.

Again, I’m just pointing out your assertion that “both sides expressed disgust at the other” is mistaken.

I’m not disgusted by people whose personal views are anti-abortion.

You left out the society at large part

Doesn't make any difference. Anyway, you couldn't possibly know what they're doing in society at large. Only what's here on the forum.

And I'm sure like the wind you're gone again.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I only oppose their attempt to force their view on society at large.

:)

Well, only the Woke are allowed that privilege in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You can’t report someone to a mod for having an opinion you disagree with.

Again, I’m just pointing out your assertion that “both sides expressed disgust at the other” is mistaken.

I’m not disgusted by people whose personal views are anti-abortion.

Me neither as long as those views are consistently "pro-life" across all facets of life. In fact I admire them.

But mainly what I hear is no abortion except in cases of x,y, z , guff about personal responsibility with a very narrow definition of what that means, and blather about abstinence.
    I rarely see the same posters call for action to save refugee children, get children out of direct provision, call for greater oversight of children in foster/at risk in Ireland, free access to contraception, greater supports for families - in particular lone parents.

Bonniedog wrote: »

Nope, I’d never dream of forcing someone who doesn’t want an abortion to have one. Not in a million years.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Me neither as long as those views are consistently "pro-life" across all facets of life. In fact I admire them.

But mainly what I hear is no abortion except in cases of x,y, z , guff about personal responsibility with a very narrow definition of what that means, and blather about abstinence.
    I rarely see the same posters call for action to save refugee children, get children out of direct provision, call for greater oversight of children in foster/at risk in Ireland, free access to contraception, greater supports for families - in particular lone parents.

It's not guff. You just don't have the same sense of responsibility.

And you don't know what people do or don't do regarding those other issues. Maybe they have other user accounts on this site, maybe their on other sites, maybe they do things away from message boards entirely.

It's not guff. You just don't have the same sense of responsibility.

And you don't know what people do or don't do regarding those other issues. Maybe they have other user accounts on this site, maybe their on other sites, maybe they do things away from message boards entirely.

Gosh - firstly you take me to task about my sense of responsibility about which you know zero and in the next sentence take me to task for not knowing what people do away from message boards.

Does that not strike you as contradictory?

Nope, I’d never dream of forcing someone who doesn’t want an abortion to have one. Not in a million years.

Really?

Hitler, the Peoples Republic of China today..... never heard of them, no?

Giving somebody choice isn't forcing a view on them. Banning that choice is.

Really?

Are they what you consider "woke"?

Doesn't make any difference. Anyway, you couldn't possibly know what they're doing in society at large. Only what's here on the forum.

And I'm sure like the wind you're gone again.:pac:

If kind of does when you expect it to be reported to a mod.

Gosh - firstly you take me to task about my sense of responsibility about which you know zero and in the next sentence take me to task for not knowing what people do away from message boards.

Does that not strike you as contradictory?

I'm just saying there's a disagreement on where the responsibility is. I'm not taking you to task, merely stating that peoples perspectives on responsibility are different. You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder.

If kind of does when you expect it to be reported to a mod.

You can't report to a mod what they do in society at large, only what they do here. If you stuck around more you might be less confused.:pac:

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's irrelevant. Your contributions however are irrelevant by the simple fact that you've contributed nothing to the discussion.

It's got nothing to do with wether I agree or not. The reasons for somebody choosing an abortion is of concern to nobody other than the woman involved.

Your opinion on my contributions is also irrelevant.

You can't report to a mod what they do in society at large, only what they do here. If you stuck around more you might be less confused.:pac:

Then you need to read posts before you respond to them.
    I apologise for having a life outside of boards, so I am unable to constantly wait around for your witty responses.

• Advertisement

Really?

What the devil are you talking about?

All I’m saying is I’d never force my views on anyone and you’re on about Hitler?!

You’re doing the anti-abortion side a massive disservice with this nonsense.

It's got nothing to do with wether I agree or not. The reasons for somebody choosing an abortion is of concern to nobody other than the woman involved.

Your opinion on my contributions is also irrelevant.
    Then you need to read posts before you respond to them.
    I apologise for having a life outside of boards, so I am unable to constantly wait around for your witty responses.

Thanks for contributions, you've really added to the discussion here. :pac:

I'm just saying there's a disagreement on where the responsibility is. I'm not taking you to task, merely stating that peoples perspectives on responsibility are different. You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder.

You seem to have a real issue with telling people what they do and do not have.

And no - you did not say "just saying there's a disagreement on where the responsibility is" - you could have simply said that if that is what you meant.

What you did say was "You just don't have the same sense of responsibility." which can be read as implying I, personally, have less sense of responsibility".

Perhaps there wouldn't be confusion if you spoke in general terms rather than quote a poster and respond with the words "you just don't"? -"people just don't" would have worked.

You seem to have a real issue with telling people what they do and do not have.

And no - you did not say "just saying there's a disagreement on where the responsibility is" - you could have simply said that if that is what you meant.

What you did say was "You just don't have the same sense of responsibility." which can be read as implying I, personally, have less sense of responsibility".

Perhaps there wouldn't be confusion if you spoke in general terms rather than quote a poster and respond with the words "you just don't"? -"people just don't" would have worked.

Ah here, I was actually trying to be neutral about things by saying you don't have the same sense of responsibility, that people here have a different sense of what responsibility is.

You try and meet people in the middle and they still take offense.

Edit: And the reason I said you, and not people, was only because I was specifically addressing you.

What the devil are you talking about?

All I’m saying is I’d never force my views on anyone and you’re on about Hitler?!

You’re doing the anti-abortion side a massive disservice with this nonsense.

You said you couldn't imagine anyone being forced to have an abortion.

Well, they have been and are.

You said you couldn't imagine anyone being forced to have an abortion.

Well, they have been and are.

No, I didn’t. Read better. I said I would never force someone to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Really?

What does that have to do with anything? She was simply giving her opinion? All you post is hyperbolic fear inducing fake news.

Unless you can draw distinct comparisons between our fairly conservative abortion legislation and Hitlers genocide regime in WW2, then you have no point.

You can support choice and not be in favour of mandatory, compulsory abortions. That’s the whole point of being pro choice ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think this issue could have been addressed years ago saving a lot of women the horror of having to travel to the UK for a procedure.

It was a testament to the countries ability to be able to handle this difficult issue, one of the most difficult a nation has to face, whatever side of the argument you find yourself on, it was our nations decision and it was comprehensive and not because of pressure from the EU.

I'd have no issue with putting this issue to the people every 20-25 years, it might just nip the protests in the bud and it might keep the industry honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think this issue could have been addressed years ago saving a lot of women the horror of having to travel to the UK for a procedure.

It was a testament to the countries ability to be able to handle this difficult issue, one of the most difficult a nation has to face, whatever side of the argument you find yourself on, it was our nations decision and it was comprehensive and not because of pressure from the EU.

I'd have no issue with putting this issue to the people every 20-25 years, it might just nip the protests in the bud and it might keep the industry honest.

no need to put it to people. we gave the dail authority to make laws in the area of abortion. if you want it changed lobby your TD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When I was younger, I would have been against it too but as I got older my perspective changed.

I didn't get to vote because I wasn't here at the time but if I had the chance, I would have voted Yes.

Advertisement