Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K21 / NBA Live 21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I finally finished my Rookie season (PlayOff champs!) after playing the full season, so I reckon I'm done with 2K20 for now. Won't bother with 2K21 for a while, but I'd imagine I'll pick it up just to have a "proper" PS5 game. No doubt still riddled with MTX so will probably wait for it to drop in price too.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    2K confirmed that the next gen version was rebuilt from the ground up. This could justify the copy, paste and reskin of the current gen version. Will be interesting to see what next gen offers.

I was looking into it yesterday and while the upgrade price seems significant I'll probably go for it.

Theres two Mamba versions, one gives you the basic Xbox/Upgrade XBX and the other vice versa.
    I'll only be playing the XB1 version for a few months so I'll get the upgraded Xbox Series X version and the 100k VC will help to get a decent guy out of the box.

If I was to buy them separate it will cost more, with the Mamba edition you'll have a physical disc to sell in November(should net e40) and a digital copy of the new version.

I was pondering using the Brazilian store for £60 but theres no resell value, whereas with the disc version at e100 it basically evens out, despite a higher outlay.
    I'll check again to see can Gamestop be beat at e100 but not even Amazon had the Mamba edition, so i might have to pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was looking into it yesterday and while the upgrade price seems significant I'll probably go for it.

Theres two Mamba versions, one gives you the basic Xbox/Upgrade XBX and the other vice versa.
    I'll only be playing the XB1 version for a few months so I'll get the upgraded Xbox Series X version and the 100k VC will help to get a decent guy out of the box.

If I was to buy them separate it will cost more, with the Mamba edition you'll have a physical disc to sell in November(should net e40) and a digital copy of the new version.

I was pondering using the Brazilian store for £60 but theres no resell value, whereas with the disc version at e100 it basically evens out for despite a higher outlay.
    I'll check to see can Gamestop be beat at e100 but not even Amazon have that Mamba edition so i might have to pay that.

I would do this as well if I was absolutely guaranteed that I wouldn't need the physical disk to play the Next Gen version. Apparently it will come with a code to download the next gen version but if it ends up also requiring the disk, I would just wait for next Gen.

Also, the VC wallet carries over so if you don't spend the 100k vc you get for current gen, you will have 200kvc and whatever else you earn to use on next gen.

hihtdpgoag851.png

Scott O'Gallagher, who left EA NBA Live in 2014 to join NBA 2K dev team is now making the move back to EA. Wonder will we be seeing an NBA Live on next gen next year.

I would do this as well if I was absolutely guaranteed that I wouldn't need the physical disk to play the Next Gen version. Apparently it will come with a code to download the next gen version but if it ends up also requiring the disk, I would just wait for next Gen.

Also, the VC wallet carries over so if you don't spend the 100k vc you get for current gen, you will have 200kvc and whatever else you earn to use on next gen.

hihtdpgoag851.png

Wonder is that a mistake.

Its saying you get 200k buying the expanded XB1 version.
    But 100k the other way.

It makes no sense to have 4 versions if that's the case. From what I was reading last night you were deciding where you wanted the 100k and the opposite version was the standard with 5k.

• Advertisement

Did some more digging and it's not a mistake. I did some reading last night and took it to be that you were picking which console to get 100k.

Well it's a no brainer which one to get so.

Thanks for that as I was going to buy the next gen Mamba version.

Did some more digging and it's not a mistake. I did some reading last night and took it to be that you were picking which console to get 100k.

Well it's a no brainer which one to get so.

Thanks for that as I was going to buy the next gen Mamba version.

Ah ok yeah, it's very confusing alright. Current gen mamba gets you 100k on current and 100k on next gen gen but the wallets are also shared across gen. Mamba next gen only gives you 100k next gen and the current gen version only when next gen is released which is a bit pointless.

Did some digging today and if you buy current gen mamba, you get a code in the box for the next gen download so it doesn't look like you need the disk. I wouldn't put it past 2k to be dicks and make you still need the disk but as the career and park are supposed to be completely different next gen, they say it's like 2 different games so unlikely to need current gen disk to play next gen digital.

Jesus it's confusing. Anyway, yeah very tempted to get current mamba for 100 at Gamestop and sell it for 30-40 when next gen arrives instead of paying 80 for next gen standard.

On the record, i feel dirty as **** for even thinking about the mamba edition, never mind buying it at launch but the way 2k14 was such a jump on ps4, i know I'm only gonna want to buy it on ps5 and that 80 price tag is ****ing steep for the base edition. That's what I'm telling myself anyway *hangs head in shame*.

Confusing is the word... all I want to know is if I get PS4 2k21, will my MyCareer player cross over? I've no interest in any of the rest of it.

Confusing is the word... all I want to know is if I get PS4 2k21, will my MyCareer player cross over? I've no interest in any of the rest of it.

Luckily that's a simple answer, No, career does not cross over as they said career mode and park are completely different. My Team and VC carry over alright, not sure about the other modes

• Advertisement

I still dunno what to do about this. I don't really have any desire to play the current gen. Will be nice to move over my My Team to next gen but my career is my main go to which I'll be dumping after 2-3 months for next gen anyway so any vc i put into it will be wasted. If i don't put in vc and save it for next gen, career is gonna be a pain.

I suppose i don't have to get it launch anyway, wait for user reviews this weekend.

I still dunno what to do about this. I don't really have any desire to play the current gen. Will be nice to move over my My Team to next gen but my career is my main go to which I'll be dumping after 2-3 months for next gen anyway so any vc i put into it will be wasted. If i don't put in vc and save it for next gen, career is gonna be a pain.

I suppose i don't have to get it launch anyway, wait for user reviews this weekend.

Gamestop have no available stock.

I asked him could I get it online, the site shows you cant collect in store but shows for online and he reckoned they didnt have enough stock and I couldn't get it there.

That was around 6 but it's still showing on the website.

The guy is working there for years, so youd think he would know what he's saying.

I cant pay for it until Friday so I'll try order then or else I'll buy it from the Brazil store for £60.

In terms of the career, for very little of that 100k you could start a player off and use the VC earned in games to further boost, then when the next gen is close the VC is banked.
    We have two full months of this game, the other could get delayed. Consoles pushed. Might as well just enjoy what's available as who knows what could happen.

I'm not following release dates and console updates like I used to but my understanding is the consoles still have neither prices nor release dates and ditto that for the NBA game, so theres no guarantee they'll hit in two months(Covid too obviously).

I'll use 20k to start a player off, I wont build more than one and he'll be useable in mid 80s fairly quickly and ill bank the VC again when the upgrades start costing 1000k each.

Bollox, the mamba edition is no longer available for ps4 on their website. I'll check with my local gs tomorrow but if i can't get it physically, I'm gonna leave it.

I was gonna ask the question, but seeing as the above post indicates that the Mamba edition is getting hard to get, it may not matter. If I got the cross gen edition, with 100k VC for now and another 100k when next gen drops, I could just keep the initial 100k and have 200k to use on a character in MyCareer? Or are they somehow locking the 100k current gen?

To be honest, I probably won't get this at all until next gen, and even then it'll be a purchase just to have a next gen game I reckon, so will most likely wait for a price reduction. Again, no interest on any of the online parts of it, just the MyCareer.

All vc can crossover to next gen so you could save it and have 200k on next gen with whatever else you build up.

Hmmmm.... As was said above, I feel dirty for considering buying this at full price.

Some career / Park videos on youtube as servers are up. Looks like you'll need 200k VC to max your character (I think at 85). IIRC, it was 160k VC last year but could be wrong. The beach is a nice backdrop but gameplay looks exact same, same park rep rewards as well, real copy and paste. I watched a bit of a live streamer play career and he was horrible. Trying to defend just whoever had the ball, forcing shots and kept losing the ball, F teammate grade...in highschool! Had to turn it off.

If I can't get mamba edition, I'm gonna wait until next gen.

Both of my local GS's won't have PS4 Mamba edition. One said they just got 2 copies and both prebooked. Definitely not going digital with it so will just keep an eye if Mamba edition comes back into stock. Looks like it will be all Tony Hawk's this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The whole thing is an absolute cluster.

Only offering the next gen upgrade with a specific, incredibly expensive version is bad form. Doing it exclusively through one bricks and mortar shop is also bad form, and now they don't even have enough stock to service demand by the sounds of it. No option to trade it back in if you want to pick it up on day one. Then again, Gamestop would probably only offer 0.99c for a 2 month old "last gen" game, come November.

Just bought it on the Brazil store in the end. Between waiting to be paid and pondering what option to go(disc and wait until next week, credit or key) I just ended up buying it from the Brazil store for e75ish.

If I could buy the disc, I'd have paid the e100 but I'm only losing maybe e15 more going to route and I can enjoy it for the weekend instead of getting it at whatever point Gamestop manage to deliver it(if they even have it). Plus who knows what CEX will give cash for it when the new one launches.

Only installing now so no chance to get a game in tonight but itll be ready to go tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

Let us know how you find it. Apparently My Player can go invisible and they are working on an issue where people didn't get preorder bonus, in case you get either of those.

https://twitter.com/NBA2KonReddit/status/1301742498130395138?s=19

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet this year and make an effort to find new XBL friends through the group search.

Its just headwrecking to keep playing with randomers who play like that. You're standing under the basket and they still dont pass.

You wouldn't mind playing with someone shooting 1-6 provided they are doing the right thing as it will balance out over time.

I'm not too bothered if I have issues with the missing content as I mainly want the VC for November, I've always bought the standard edition so grinding is second nature :)

If the next gen has cross play as standard it might be easier to get a crew going. I'm not sure what the latest on that is but surely its going to be an option.

If they have different parks, then I'd say they won't have crossplay. The best laughs online have been with lads on here but unfortunately not popular enough to get a good consistent crowd.

GS said Mamba edition is for preorder only, won't be getting any more copies. Oh well. Still gonna keep an eye out on websites though as trading it in will get me at least 30 id hope so that justifies the price of the next gen copy.

Raging now I didn't get the the Mamba edition as I'd love to give this a go but no way would buy the standard edition and then the next gen edition for at least 75. I see CEX are offering the lowest they ever have for a NBA 2K game, usually holds it's trade value but looks like it will be dirt by the time next gen comes out.

Raging now I didn't get the the Mamba edition as I'd love to give this a go but no way would buy the standard edition and then the next gen edition for at least 75. I see CEX are offering the lowest they ever have for a NBA 2K game, usually holds it's trade value but looks like it will be dirt by the time next gen comes out.

I'm sure theres a PS equivalent of the Brazil store for e75 on PS?
    That's fine considering theres no guarantee on a good resale price in Novemeber. It's less than the retail the next gen will be.

I got home and 7 and put the Xbox on, no game installed and it started from 0%. RDR2 was still installed and I'm sure I picked it to uninstall last night to free the space.
    Had to sit and wait after leaving the Xbox on last night when going to bed.

Turkey is usually cheap but that's 90 euro, same as US and i can buy 100 irish psn credit online for 90 as well, seems to be there cheapest i can get it. Using a different region on PS might be dodgy in case PS5 tightens restrictions on other regions, could be taking a gamble on the next gen version.

I see most of reddit are complaining about shooting being too hard which sounds great to me, too many people in previous years chucking the ball up from anywhere and heavily contested with it going on. Although, one guy posted a vid of him missing a green layup which is a bit harsh :)

I've only finished my first game now and its after 10.

Massive sigh.. the first game is played on a funny camera and you cant change it. Every year in the early career games theres some section where you're stuck using a weird camera angle and it makes no sense why it had to like that.

I checked C.Smooves first video here to see did he talk about it but he didnt even mention it.

I air balled a FT with a PG so the new shooting is different. It's a zone within what 90 degree angle pressed.

You can see the story mode was cobbled together. Makes less sense than ever until game 2.

Edit. The camera angle stays the same so its prob for the entire college segment.. grrr

Chris Smoove got me to buy 2k on launch so many years but as he has his face scanned into the game now, he can never be too critical. I watched his first vid and look forward to the rest of his series.

• Advertisement

Yup the camera angle stays the entire time through high school and the first game in college so this is going to be another 4 games out of college.

There is no way I would ever make a second player and take him through this. Its torture to play this long an intro to get to the NBA.

The story is unbelievably bad, even by 2k standards some of the older ones would be Oscar material compared to this.
    It's like they divided 30 scenes out to multiple teams and gave them a pointer and said to do the rest.
    It's so in cohesive and nothing makes sense, it's like Tommy Wissau directed it.

I started to skip them which is something I never did before.

In terms of gameplay it's no different than 2k20, I haven't noticed any difference. Even the player builder looks like it might be a direct cut and paste.
    The only difference is the shooting which I can see being like that 2k where nobody used analogue and switched to the button.
    I'm not seeing much benefir to using it so far.

Dont get me wrong it would tide you over for 2 months but to bye the standard version for €60 is a RIP off.
    At least I have the main game coming for less than RRP.

Advertisement