Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

It's about minimising risks. Already one idiot who was meant to self isolating and went off to his parents for dinner.

Pubs open, let's go out with the mates instead of self isolating.

I keep hearing about this story, that it was in Sligo, but can't find any reliable source about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

fr336 wrote: »
    Should we do away with all the laws in the name of freedom?

I'm not saying that at all but some people seem to want things to go the complete opposite. Surely some balance between the rule of law and personal freedom is better than some orwellian insanity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's about minimising risks. Already one idiot who was meant to self isolating and went off to his parents for dinner.

Pubs open, let's go out with the mates instead of self isolating.

Similar story to the muppet working in Apple in Cork who tested positive for the virus in late Feb/early March and instead of self isolating went to the pub thereby causing a spike in new cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Similar story to the moron working in Apple in Cork who tested positive for the virus in late Feb/early March and instead of self isolating went to the pub ended up causing a spike in new cases.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    If you Google search the image it shows up as from Chicago O'Hare airport one of the busiest airports in the world. I'd wager the majority of flights departing there are domestic US flights. The picture and the attached post are a complete misrepresentation and a blatant attempt to mislead people.

Oh dear god righty oh fair enough fair cop guv'nor

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

European ban doesn’t mean flights stop. The world would collapse if flights stopped. Cargo is a thing.

Who's scare mongering now. Nobody is saying flights have to stop. Flights full of less than careful people who may have contracted a disease should probably stop. But economy stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fat Americans aren't classified as cargo. So there's no European ban on Americans.

A disgusting comment to start with. What has anyones body image got to do with anything? Presume this goes back to your lets not eat takeaway it makes you fat comment recently.

Secondly yes unless on essential travel Americans are not allowed into Europe.

Regular scheduled passenger services double up as cargo services.

Your being completely ignorant to the facts here. America is not on the list of nationalities allowed into the EU and if your American your not allowed into the EU unless on essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't believe for a minute that the virus will burn out after 20% of the population becoming infected. It's pie in the sky codswallop and that's all it is. Do 20% become infected and 80% who didn't develop an infection suddenly become immune to the virus?

All this will do is lead people to a false sense of security - 'sure, the virus is dying out' they might think and it will lead to more risks and ultimately more infection spreading.

Ultimately even the experts are trying to understand this virus as there is a lot that is still unknown about how it behaves and the article reflects that. And they are two epidemiologists and I'm guessing that you are probably not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s not though. According to most on here we’ll be having at least 100 waves and the virus is never going to go. So next year will run into another year, another year , another year and so on...... unless we are lucky to get a vaccine but the experts on here claim we won’t. So travelling with precautions will have to happen sooner or later.

I have not once seen a post on here saying this will go beyond 2020. Great excuse though - "I want to do something now, and people are saying it's going to go on forever anyway, so I might as well do it now". If we're going to talk about people saying things, plenty would have been quite happy to take their chances (or chances with other people's lives) back in March, April etc. They'd have just blamed the government for not locking down and patted themselves on the back. Look at the idiots who insisted on going skiing to the worst hit part of Italy when doctors there were having to decide people who would have survived any other day were going to die because they didn't have enough room for the surge of patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

shinzon wrote: »
    Oh dear god righty oh fair enough fair cop guv'nor

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shin

So you don't think putting up a picture of O'Hare airport and then talking about Dublin airport was a bit misleading guv'nor?

Shin(t)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I keep hearing about this story, that it was in Sligo, but can't find any reliable source about it?

Haven't been following the thread, but I presume this is the story being referred to.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/up-to-14-members-of-the-same-iraqi-family-at-centre-of-covid-cluster-in-sligo-1008362.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'm not saying that at all but some people seem to want things to go the complete opposite. Surely some balance between the rule of law and personal freedom is better than some orwellian insanity.

Maybe they do. I'm not one of them. I really don't feel any of this has been orwellian. Ireland and UK had one of the most hands off lockdowns in the world. In much of mainland Europe you could only go shopping for essentials once a week, in Spain they weren't allowed for a walk for 6 weeks. This is a first world democracy doing what they thought was right for their citizens. No capitalist governments wants to shut down a country unless it's absolutely necessary. People wanted pubs and shops back open and to get back to work, now those things are happening they want to go abroad again when they feel like it and start the whole show off again. Those who don't learn from history...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

European ban doesn’t mean flights stop. The world would collapse if flights stopped. Cargo is a thing.
    As far as I'm aware Ireland hasn't banned Americans from flying in, although Irish people can't fly into America.

There's American tourists staying in a rented house down the road from my relatives since the start of the weekend. We know they're American because we heard their accents when they called to the door this morning. We didn't answer, even though it was blatantly obvious we were inside and could hear them saying that.

Americans and any other nationality are supposed to be self isolating for two weeks on arrival, but the Gardaí have said they're not enforcing it so there's no point in calling them. There's absolutely no rule saying that they're entitled to any sort of audience with Irish people and I hope they are widely shunned in public because they should not be here. Whatever about visiting their sick relatives etc, stay the f*ck away from mine. If I see them walking around the place later on I'm not sure what I'm liable to do, it's made me pretty angry.

The way I see it, two elderly people and one at risk person had to barricade themselves into the house to protect themselves from Americans who shouldn't be in the country and certainly shouldn't be knocking on the doors of the locals. Probably a good idea to take action now in this case and send a message to any others thinking of doing the same.

I'm only joking.

Other than weekends off I have worked continuously since this started as has many thousands of others. I didn't sit at home watching Netflix so I'm very much looking forward to my trip away seeing friends I haven't seen since May last year.

Bar 5 weeks of leave I have done the same as an essential worker. But I realise that I'll (probably) still be here in 2021 so I don't NEED to travel abroad this year. I can do other things. Like people who can't afford a trip abroad every year or when a recession hits and even those desperate for it have to admit defeat.

For al the travel that I want to do to low risk places in Europe, for the life of me I don’t get why Ireland has not followed the EU’s lead and banned Americans from visiting. There are no direct flights from the USA to Germany at all, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

So you don't think putting up a picture of O'Hare airport and then talking about Dublin airport was a bit misleading guv'nor?

Shin(t)

Absolutely not if you read what was in the brackets but yeah keep going on about the picture and not the post whose misleading who now. Far worse things have been written on these threads then posting a fecking picture of a crowded airport faux outrage is faux tbh

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

s1ippy wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware Ireland hasn't banned Americans from flying in, although Irish people can't fly into America.

There's American tourists staying in a rented house down the road from my relatives since the start of the weekend. We know they're American because we heard their accents when they called to the door this morning. We didn't answer, even though it was blatantly obvious we were inside and could hear them saying that.

Americans and any other nationality are supposed to be self isolating for two weeks on arrival, but the Gardaí have said they're not enforcing it so there's no point in calling them. There's absolutely no rule saying that they're entitled to any sort of audience with Irish people and I hope they are widely shunned in public because they should not be here. Whatever about visiting their sick relatives etc, stay the f*ck away from mine. If I see them walking around the place later on I'm not sure what I'm liable to do, it's made me pretty angry.

The way I see it, two elderly people and one at risk person had to barricade themselves into the house to protect themselves from Americans who shouldn't be in the country and certainly shouldn't be knocking on the doors of the locals. Probably a good idea to take action now in this case and send a message to any others thinking of doing the same.

I'm only joking.

Christ but the head of the WHO was spot on, he said this crisis has brought out the best in people and the worst in people.

You definitely fit in the latter category ,you should try and calm down a bit. 'Take action , send a message, you're not sure what you're liable to do .'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Simon Harris was called on to be clear with his tweets,was it in regards to Ryanair or professor Jack Lambert.
    Professor jack treated 700 covid patience in the mater hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What the fcuk was the man doing a few weeks ago when he was still minister for health? Did he have any powers at all to make the population comply with the public health guidelines? He should have implemented fines for people caught breaking restrictions.

Christ almighty, Simon Harris, shut up on your Twitter and stop being disappointed in people traveling. I don't agree with people traveling and I will continue to follow the guidelines but there's nothing stopping people from going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fat Americans aren't classified as cargo. So there's no European ban on Americans.

What a very mature comment

Reminder that Simon Harris is the one who refused to act on Italian fans arriving here......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

A disgusting comment to start with. What has anyones body image got to do with anything? Presume this goes back to your lets not eat takeaway it makes you fat comment recently.

Secondly yes unless on essential travel Americans are not allowed into Europe.

Regular scheduled passenger services double up as cargo services.

Your being completely ignorant to the facts here. America is not on the list of nationalities allowed into the EU and if your American your not allowed into the EU unless on essential travel.

I don't know if it was on boards or somewhere else where I read a comment from someone who got chatting to some Americans out enjoying themselves in Killarney. Asked them were they stuck here for lockdown and they said they only came here last week.

Reminder that Simon Harris is the one who refused to act on Italian fans arriving here......

But their rights!

Christ but the head of the WHO was spot on, he said this crisis has brought out the best in people and the worst in people.

You definitely fit in the latter category ,you should try and calm down a bit. 'Take action , send a message, you're not sure what you're liable to do .'

Certainly has brought out the worst in people. Like the attitude "The Americans should be able to go on their holiday, to hell with the local vunerable residents it's their look out if they want to stay indoors the world has to get back to normal" etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fr336 wrote: »
    Certainly has brought out the worst in people. Like the attitude "The Americans should be able to go on their holiday, to hell with the local vunerable residents it's their look out if they want to stay indoors the world has to get back to normal" etc....

You condoning violence?
    Who has said Americans should be allowed go on holidays?
    Edit
    Totally agree the world does have to try and get back to normal. Life goes on. Might be time for those that feel vulnerable to cocoon and wait for a vaccine. It's selfish to expect everyone else to put their lives on hold.

This is the way I see it.
    Travel within the EU is perfectly fine, but should be voluntary. What’s happening right now is the airlines are forcing people by not giving refunds - this is a failure on the government’s part.
    I highly highly highly doubt there is mass amounts of American tourists arriving into the country on what are essentially cargo flights. It’s ridiculous to suggest that’s true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Really fantastic little 20 min documentary on Netflix called Coronavirus Explained, episode II in particular discusses the hurdles associated with vaccine manufacturing and production. Really great graphics and narrators that help explain some of the difficult terminology and concepts you always hear about in the news that I personally never really understood. Really recommend, it's quite positive in tone.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Really fantastic little 20 min documentary on Netflix called Coronavirus Explained, episode II in particular discusses the hurdles associated with vaccine manufacturing and production. Really great graphics and narrators that help explain some of the difficult terminology and concepts you always hear about in the news that I personally never really understood. Really recommend!

Second this, fascinating documentary.
    Another one is “Pandemic” that was released this year before the pandemic started ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The US reported over 47,000 new cases of coronavirus yesterday, a new record.

It's mind boggling how they have screwed this up so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement