Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The hop on hop off bus is doing the rounds in Galway with tourists on board, I can't understand how tourists from the UK are banned yet there are loads of flights landing daily at our airports from the the UK

Lots of people have essential travel requirements, famines etc split between UK and Ireland. I hold both passports myself and have a home in both countries (thought Ireland is my primary). It’s been obvious when I’ve been travelling between the two that very few of my fellow travelers have been tourists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Someone put a post up on a Rubberbandits facebook post that he had to cancel a tour with American tourists somewhere in Ireland because they hadnt done the 14 days quarantine and apparently had no intention of doing it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

El Sueño wrote: »
    There's only a few people in the country that don't want to do anything about the Americans and they're sitting in the Dáil. Infuriating.
    they sitting in the Office of the Taoiseach Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of Trade and the Department of Transport, IBEC HQ and the American embassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lots of people have essential travel requirements, famines etc split between UK and Ireland. I hold both passports myself and have a home in both countries (thought Ireland is my primary). It’s been obvious when I’ve been travelling between the two that very few of my fellow travelers have been tourists

Even anyone travelling for work or family visits, is 14 days quarantine not happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Ah come on now Woody, you can't be using the famine as an excuse, it happened over 170 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blade1 wrote: »
    17 Americans I suppose :)
    De house party goers and probably Dame Lane! Americans will be next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Eod100 wrote: »
    In fairness to Zara King asking Donnelly good questions here. Donnelly's reply is rubbish ''should do X'' when there's clear evidence of them not doing it.. :confused:

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1282306556340600838
    Another textbook example of why he is a total spoofer and a right a piece of work . If that was a FF minister 10 years ago spouting crap like that in the midst of a public health and economic crisis he would have been on Vincent Browne the next night making a career for himself spouting his 'outrage'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

By my count 36 more weekly cases than last week but we had roughly 11,000 extra tests carried out this week. 10 deaths this week one less than last week.

That's a great post

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Even anyone travelling for work or family visits, is 14 days quarantine not happening?

They should, yes, unless working in one of the professions listed as essential. I have been, but am WFH anyway, so no hardship. And the 14 day isolation is only one way, as the UK never required it for arrivals from Ireland even when they did for everyone else.

The poster was asking why there are flights at all when tourism from UK isn’t wanted.

I already miss Simon, Leo and Tony briefings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

By my count 36 more weekly cases than last week but we had roughly 11,000 extra tests carried out this week. 10 deaths this week one less than last week.

How many tests carried out in total last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

How many tests done in the last 24 hours? The dashboard hasn’t updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

35,252 test was carried out last week. The data says this week is 46,255 tests the last 7 days but hasn't updated today

I was in Dublin City Centre yesterday morning and witnessed two Glendalough tour busses with at least 60 Spanish or Italian student types waiting to board them. I counted 6 of them wearing masks.

I should have taken a photo in hindsight.

I was in Dublin City Centre yesterday morning and witnessed two Glendalough tour busses with at least 60 Spanish or Italian student types waiting to board them. I counted 6 of them wearing masks.

They could be school boarders. There are a number of schools that board international teenagers, with at least two on the southside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

How many tests carried out in total last week?

Over 50,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Now looks like Donnelly is putting onus on businesses and public to enforce this. It needs to be done by authorities at airports and ports. Need to also be doing more awareness of this in countries people are travelling from. ""The Irish people who have sacrificed so much have an absolute right to expect that people who are coming to this country are engaged with in a very friendly way but in a very professional way so they are fully aware of their expectations." https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tour-operator-cancels-guided-cycle-after-learning-tourists-from-us-had-not-self-isolated-after-arriving-1010700.html?__twitter_impression=true

#IrishLivesMatter

Now looks like Donnelly is putting onus on businesses and public to enforce this. It needs to be done by authorities at airports and ports. Need to also be doing more awareness of this in countries people are travelling from. ""The Irish people who have sacrificed so much have an absolute right to expect that people who are coming to this country are engaged with in a very friendly way but in a very professional way so they are fully aware of their expectations." https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tour-operator-cancels-guided-cycle-after-learning-tourists-from-us-had-not-self-isolated-after-arriving-1010700.html?__twitter_impression=true
    It sounds to me like he's trying to avoid the pitchforks approach favoured by some. It has to strike a balance. Offer random testing if you're from a hot zone, encourage the 14 days isolation and welcome to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Tens of thousands of immigrants live in Dublin, they didn't all necessarily travel here recently. Many of the immigrants who live here still like to take day trips to explore they country they now live in. I'm sure some were tourists, but just being foreign doesn't mean they all were

• Advertisement

#IrishLivesMatter
    Sure,sure Brazilians and Roma who got sick here have only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

is_that_so wrote: »
    It sounds to me like he's trying to avoid the pitchforks approach favoured by some. It has to strike a balance. Offer random testing if you're from a hot zone, encourage the 14 days isolation and welcome to Ireland.

Sounds more like typical FF - ignore it and hope it goes away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Went to the pub tonight. As usual it was well managed, had a small bite to eat as did everyone else, and a couple of pints. All well.

I do have to say though, that there was one guy in the corner with 3 mates, and he let out this massive sneeze into his hands. That didn't particularly bother me - nobody can be held responsible for an instinctive reaction. But then, a few seconds later, came the next sneeze - loud and half-heartedly into his hands. Myself and my mate watched wondering to be honest how his friends didn't say WTF man, either go out and blow your nose or at least follow public health advice and sneeze into your elbow. Few seconds later, again, and then again. All powerful sneezes with a half-arsed attempt to cover his nose with his hands.

I'm don't understand how, in the current situation, people would not take basic precautions for themselves and fellow customers. If that guy had covid (and he most likely at this time didn't given low transmission rates), his ignorance would have placed everyone nearby at risk. We need to open things and life needs to get started again so how are people like this not aware of it?

To date, my concerns have been minor, such as with what I saw in my local the other night as I outlined above, a class A fukkwit. It's people like him that place our pretty damn good status in jeopardy. But what do do? His friends didn't challenge him, the bar staff didn't, and I wasn't going to start a row in a bar...

But anyway, despite being guilty of being dismissive of the odd doommongerer from time to time, I'm now veering into extreme discontent about restriction free incoming travel for US citizens (ignoring the 24 day sham). There's clearly public concern about it, so why the silence from politicians about it? Donnelly's response was pathetic for someone that used to rottweil opposition in the past.

There's no denying the clusterfuukk that the US is right now and having them coming here in the short term is a luxury we can't afford. And I say that having many friends there.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Tens of thousands of immigrants live in Dublin, they didn't all necessarily travel here recently. Many of the immigrants who live here still like to take day trips to explore they country they now live in. I'm sure some were tourists, but just being foreign doesn't mean they all were
    About 11%-12% I think now. It seems foreign is bad now as we've seen packed planeloads of imaginary tourists showing up in the last week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Companies doing this need to be named and shamed. They are putting the public's health and safety and risk for the sake of profit.

It is morally reprehensible behaviour.

Well its still that non essential travel is to be avoided. No issue with testing at departure airports. At arrival not sure how effective it would be when incubation period is 14 days. Could only work along with self isolation not instead of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have wondered if it was easier for our stand in government to make bolder calls since election until recently. They basically had little to lose as they were already elected out so were able to make tough, unpopular calls. This new government has a lot to lose now, I hope they don’t keep putting off things or avoid making tough calls that may not be popular. I also hope they keep up the communication that was good from FG.

Considering how many people have been complaining about our undemocratic stand in government, it would be ironic if this was part of the reason things were shut down when they were. Cancelling St Patrick’s day and closing schools was not a popular decision. It took a lot of poole a fair while to cop on to how serious things were.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sounds more like typical FF - ignore it and hope it goes away
    Harris had five months of practice and Donnelly hasn't found a script for himself yet. In the grand scheme of things it is a minor issue considering to what he needs to get up to speed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Over 50,000
    Where did you get that figure? Last Sunday evening July 5th the COVID-19 Data Hub had a little over 35,000 test for the last 7 days.

Either way its good news that positivity rate remains low and hopefully it stays that way in the weeks and months ahead.

• Advertisement

Harris had five months of practice and Donnelly hasn't found a script for himself yet. In the grand scheme of things it is a minor issue considering to what he needs to get up to speed on.

He hasn't just finished primary school - needs to cop the feck on and start making decisions

They could be school boarders. There are a number of schools that board international teenagers, with at least two on the southside.

I thought all boarding schools were closed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I actually like Donnelly but I have wondered at time’s what the thinking is with certain government positions. Like does the previous Mminister for health work with them to get up to speed ?

Always seems like positions are chosen strategically for parties as opposed to picking the right people in the right jobs. Hopefully Donnelly finds his feet quickly and starts pro active measures to mitigate future surges.

Well its still that non essential travel is to be avoided. No issue with testing at departure airports. At arrival not sure how effective it would be when incubation period is 14 days. Could only work along with self isolation not instead of.
    The incubation period can be up to 14 days, it's usually a lot less. The notion that people will vanish and not self-isolate strikes me as more than absurd. Why exactly would they do that in the face of such a transmissible disease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

To date, my concerns have been minor, such as with what I saw in my local the other night as I outlined above, a class A fukkwit. It's people like him that place our pretty damn good status in jeopardy. But what do do? His friends didn't challenge him, the bar staff didn't, and I wasn't going to start a row in a bar...

But anyway, despite being guilty of being dismissive of the odd doommongerer from time to time, I'm now veering into extreme discontent about restriction free incoming travel for US citizens (ignoring the 24 day sham). There's clearly public concern about it, so why the silence from politicians about it? Donnelly's response was pathetic for someone that used to rottweil opposition in the past.

There's no denying the clusterfuukk that the US is right now and having them coming here in the short term is a luxury we can't afford. And I say that having many friends there.

Money, it's all about money, americans spend lots of it when they come over.
    Totally agree someone should have had a word with that man, doesn't matter if sinus or hay fever he may be asymptomatic.
    Another tip for sneezing if you don't want to sneeze into your elbow or hands is pull the neck of your t shirt or whatever up over your nose and sneeze down the inside of it. Might end up with a wet chest but better that then spraying all over the place. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I already miss Simon, Leo and Tony briefings

FF are already making FG look like paragons of competence.

• Advertisement

Sure,sure Brazilians and Roma who got sick here have only themselves to blame.

Call me racist but we need to put Ireland and it's citizens first, these citzens would include from Brazil and Roma if long term

I'm sorry but the silence from Coveney and Martin on incoming travel from hot spots is maddening :mad:

I thought all boarding schools were closed too
    There are a number I know of which take kids for up to 2 years. I've no idea what they did but they may still be here.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Money, it's all about money, americans spend lots of it when they come over.

They really don't - the odd ones may but the majority do not, probably less their UK counterparts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hmmm interesting..... 0 deaths 0 cases. Just a few shot dead instead
    https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1282370935010603010?s=19

The incubation period can be up to 14 days, it's usually a lot less. The notion that people will vanish and not self-isolate strikes me as more than absurd. Why exactly would they do that in the face of such a transmissible disease?

Maybe but there's a reason its 14 days to allow for maximum time but there have been cases where it was longer too, of course. I just don't think it's realistic to expect most of the people coming here for 14 days or less to self-isolate for that time. People would hardly travel from US to sit in a hotel room for that period. It's not about vanishing it's about potential risk of interacting with other people without self isolating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have wondered if it was easier for our stand in government to make bolder calls since election until recently. They basically had little to lose as they were already elected out so were able to make tough, unpopular calls. This new government has a lot to lose now, I hope they don’t keep putting off things or avoid making tough calls that may not be popular. I also hope they keep up the communication that was good from FG.

Considering how many people have been complaining about our undemocratic stand in government, it would be ironic if this was part of the reason things were shut down when they were. Cancelling St Patrick’s day and closing schools was not a popular decision. It took a lot of poole a fair while to cop on to how serious things were.

I firmly believe the outgoing government had to put in the lockdon for people to take this virus seriously. Back in December it was reported people were dropping on the streets in China or wuhan. In January a novel corona virus was found. In February, news was of the virus spreading and emerging outside of China.

By early March, I was beginning to hibernate and stay away from public and crowded spaces. I was taking it seriously well before the government asked us to. The virus was reported to the population as if it was a flu. I had a feeling from the early days that it was much more than a flu. You don't see people dropping and falling on the street with a flu. Other people didn't care about the virus or they didn't understand it or they didn't want to understand. They played the threat of the virus down so much. 'sure, the virus is here now. Nothing we can do about it now except to welcome more of it in now'. People were divided.

I believe the government had to introduce the restrictions to get the message across to the population to take this virus seriously.

Maybe but there's a reason its 14 days to allow for maximum time but there have been cases where it was longer too, of course. I just don't think it's realistic to expect most of the people coming here for 14 days or less to self-isolate for that time. People would hardly travel from US to sit in a hotel room for that period. It's not about vanishing it's about potential risk of interacting with other people without self isolating.
    I think you need to accept this is going to be with us and that soon enough travel will reopen and cases will continue to emerge. No country has had huge problems from travel, save a few who had their own-goals.

Irish gov doesn't want to implement a unilateral ban on any country because then that country may ban Irish people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

About the numbers of new cases that rose during the week and seem to be falling again, this seems to be consistent with the pattern of other countries. After the peak has passed, the numbers of daily new cases rises and falls but overall remains fairly stable at a low level. So a rise over a few days does not necessarily mean the start of a new wave. I haven't looked into this in any further detail, and there will be localised clusters, but wouldn't be surprised if Ireland starts to see a similar pattern over the coming weeks.

TyPFYet.png

I think you need to accept this is going to be with us and that soon enough travel will reopen and cases will continue to emerge. No country has had huge problems from travel, save a few who had their own-goals.

People say this as if travel will open back up at once. I can't see US being on any green list for foreseeable future. And if anything these measures for high risk countries are more needed when travel to and from other areas is expanded not less.

Irish gov doesn't want to implement a unilateral ban on any country because then that country may ban Irish people
    We can't do that with EU countries anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

fritzelly wrote: »
    They really don't - the odd ones may but the majority do not, probably less their UK counterparts
    I worked many summers in a tourist shop - we used to hate seeing the Americans coming in, because they talked loudly and asked questions and bought sweet eff all. Whereas the old Scots (despite their reputation) would just come in and ask for a dozen of this and half a dozen of the other, and then toddle off.
    I realise this is just one scenario, but I'm finding it difficult to call to mind any American I've met who was overly generous with their cash. I'll think on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone getting the feeling of an alarming rise in case numbers towards the end of the upcoming week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mandating masks and keeping out visitors from the Covid hotspots until they're less hot will help. Other countries more open to travel, especially European ones, have far more robust health systems than the HSE. Italy, Spain, France, UK are all much larger, better funded and have better results per capita than Ireland when it comes to health care. UK's doing poorly for Covid due to laughably incompetent government, but normally we'd trade the HSE for the NHS in a blink.

Ireland's health care can't cope with a big pandemic.

We can't do that with EU countries anyway.
    I said unilateral.
    atleast within the EU theres a method of agreement

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement